Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Happy Page 2000 Battletech thread!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
To celebrate hitting page 2000 I shall vote for B. I have no idea how those relate, but they do now.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Voting for A. Time for some sweet bitter-ex-clanner Warcrimes.

tofuwizard
Feb 22, 2013
Voting B.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
B

I'm NRWR'd out.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
A for madness.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
B

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
A, I am intrigued by the thought of what can happen with an obvious one way suicide mission.

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title
A

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tossing in a vote for C since I'm not Dadlas'd out yet.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Voting B, because we've had one great NRWR campaign, and this scenario is a pov that we've seen very little of so far. There was just there couple brief bits of setup from the Steiner side.

I won't be unhappy to see A or C either though, as usual.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
B. That was so many "B"s, I got confused a bit.

It's time to kill everything!

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
While these are all great options C gets my vote. I want to see the story of the demon hawks through to the end.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

thiswayliesmadness posted:

As much as I want to bandwagon A, I've got to throw my vote at C

Never fear, fellow forums-goer, I shall bandwagon A for you!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm very sanguine about this

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm very sanguine about this

I wannna C (plan) Deez nuts

Professor Malice
Nov 16, 2011
B

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

A: Kill them all.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Let's go in at the deep end: A

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Synthbuttrange posted:

Happy Page 2000 Battletech thread!

My god what have we all done

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
A. Let's end this plotline with over the top stupidity heroics. :getin:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

A I'm a sucker for a mystery space jump

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

May I ask why not?

It's not that they aren't interesting in more than a few ways, but I am the opposite of invested in them; I am much more invested, emotionally, in their failure. I feel like they have more traction than they should amongst the thread because they've been set up as foils to the Clans, who people also hate, but to me they've inherited the Word of Blake's sense of having an understandable enemy but being such giant dicks about it that you can't help but root for them to lose, even with cool deep cuts like Jason Youngblood working for them.

They're a nice additional complication on the Inner Sphere political and military landscape, doing interesting things, I just want them to fail, and since in general not voting for missions means they are usually less successful for whatever the player force would've been, I'll vote for anything else if there's a RWR option. That's just me.

Of course the obvious end result of saying this will be that my second go around somehow ends up as an NRWR mission, and I'll have to suck it up and deal with it, just as my first go around was the Death Commandos where I also had to suck it up and deal with it (and had fun regardless of my canon partisan leanings, so, y'know, however it goes...)

edit: if there's a scenario that's explicitly for fighting the NRWR then that's a different story.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 6, 2018

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

PoptartsNinja posted:

Before you start bandwagoning something you're not certain of.

This is our last shot at these missions, so make sure it's the one you really want to see.

But..... but I want to see all of the good fights.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The NRWR haven't really been giant dicks in this timeline? They have a relatively stable economy, with a healthy populace and a strong military, and a leader that at least pays lipservice to giving a poo poo about the lives of his people. They expand their influence by showing up with space factories and food and being like "hey, how'd you like to not be dirt-farming peasants?". They still fight the Clans, but I like them not because they oppose the Clans (I don't actually hate the Clans that much), but because they represent a rarity in Battletech: A leader with a surprisingly competent plan who understands the usefulness of technology and expansion through means other than "I land stompy robots there and plant a flag in the dungheap".

It's sort of the polar opposite of my love for the CapCon, where I'm rooting for the cartoonishly over the top supervillains, doomed to failure though they may be (in the canon timeline) by being written as one dimensional punching bags for THE GLORIOUS SHINING KNIGHTS of the allegedly-more-Good-but-actually-just-designated-heroes Houses.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Zaodai posted:

The NRWR haven't really been giant dicks in this timeline?

I mean there was kind of the part where they proposed what could be interpreted as ethnic cleansing of the Clan homeworlds but what's a few war crimes between friends am I right?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fraction Jackson posted:

I mean there was kind of the part where they proposed what could be interpreted as ethnic cleansing of the Clan homeworlds but what's a few war crimes between friends am I right?

So, baseline dickishness of the Battletech universe.

The Clans are coming to kill his entire space-empire first, and they have a manpower and (to some extent) tech advantage. Moral high ground is a luxury left to those not fighting a war of extinction.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

B having the nrwr succeed all the time is boring

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

I personally voted C because getting to play the game with Manei Domini mechwarriors or the equivalent is really cool and kind of different from the norm, especially against the Clans. You tend to end up outnumbered by the Clans, and are going to have to exploit superior skill, C3i, and other tech advantage to win with inferior weapons and armor. And that's kind of cool.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

C

I want to see infantry that takes an HGR to kill.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Voting B because I’m in the mood for grand strategy. Also I think it’s been awhile since we’ve been in that quadrant.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Voting C for the hope that Andurien doesn't fall.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
All three are good options, but in the end I'm going to have to go with A.

Bulletfodder
Dec 4, 2009
C

Finish the fight.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Zaodai posted:

The NRWR haven't really been giant dicks in this timeline? They have a relatively stable economy, with a healthy populace and a strong military, and a leader that at least pays lipservice to giving a poo poo about the lives of his people. They expand their influence by showing up with space factories and food and being like "hey, how'd you like to not be dirt-farming peasants?". They still fight the Clans, but I like them not because they oppose the Clans (I don't actually hate the Clans that much), but because they represent a rarity in Battletech: A leader with a surprisingly competent plan who understands the usefulness of technology and expansion through means other than "I land stompy robots there and plant a flag in the dungheap".

It's sort of the polar opposite of my love for the CapCon, where I'm rooting for the cartoonishly over the top supervillains, doomed to failure though they may be (in the canon timeline) by being written as one dimensional punching bags for THE GLORIOUS SHINING KNIGHTS of the allegedly-more-Good-but-actually-just-designated-heroes Houses.

Honestly the reasons you like the NRWR are the reasons I don't - over and above the fact that they're loving with my beloved FWL. Battletech is a setting that requires vast arsenals of weapons-grade stupidity to work out, and introducing factions that aren't massively dumb only (IMHO) lampshades the flaws of the setting. And that can be a good and useful thing to do sometimes, but sometimes the flaws of the setting are what make the setting enjoyable, which I would argue is the case for Battletech - a game about giant stompy robots. Put bluntly, if the leader with a surprisingly competent plan who understands the usefulness of technology and expansion through means other than "I land stompy robots there and plant a flag in the dungheap" is shown to be uniformly successful it begs the question of well why have the stompy robots in the first place and that's a problem when stompy robots are the whole point.

That is, it's kind of like saying "hey why did Emperor Palpatine send stormtroopers to kill Luke's family when the smarter plan would have been to send him a letter saying 'congratulations you've been selected for a full boat scholarship to Imperial University, complete with a dorm room on Coruscant and a living stipend, here is a list of the fraternities that are interested in having you pledge' since he clearly wanted off Tatooine, and then either quietly killing him on Coruscant or even better recruiting the kid?" Which, like, yes that would be smarter but that kind of defeats the purpose of telling the story, y'know?

Having said that, I do think the NRWR is interesting and fun to have around - and they've been demonstrated to lack some of the Plot Armor of the average Mary Sue because we've already seen that their centrally-planned economy is a house of cards currently diverted into a massive war effort that House Amaris appears to believe will pay off down the line for Reasons, so it's not like I object to them on the grounds that they're Too Perfect. If nothing else they give the Galactic South some poo poo to do, which is handy. But honestly, I'm looking forward to the day it all blows up in their faces.

(none of which stopped me from voting for Red Dawn because c'mon)

Anyways, tl;dr: Anything that lampshades the folly of basing your entire culture around Big Stompy Robots and the Shooting Thereof is something I want less of in a game about Big Stompy Robots and the Shooting Thereof. I already know it's stupid, I want the stupid, the stupid lets me enjoy Big Stompy Robot Action. :D

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, the flaws you point out are what makes them not Mary Sueish in my eyes. They have planning, but they are constantly riding a knife's edge because of either external enemies or just the narrowness success requires of their elaborate plans. The Amaris line seems to have big plans, and sometimes good plans, but rarely stable, secure plans.

We've seen them succeed so far, but even those successes have cost huge amounts of their military and production that will not be quickly replaced, and of course Uncle Stevie. Steven Amaris VI may not have been President Amaris, but he was undoubtedly still SOMETHING to the people. He couldn't have been a complete unknown, so his loss is a visible hit to the people of the NRWR. We don't know what got broadcast after his untimely demise, but it couldn't have been a net positive for the NRWR.

They're not Batman. They don't have unlimited resources to go along with their time to plan, and they've quickly run out of time to plan. I want to see the NRWR succeed because they are the sane man in crazy town, and they don't necessarily have the tools to win, but they're committed to go down swinging. Hence stuff like Operation Red Dawn, and even the Andurien campaign itself. You have to remember, basically everyone who wasn't the Demon Hawks got loving smashed on Andurien, on both sides of the conflict. The Clans took huge losses, but so did even the elite line units the NRWR had prepared. He's basically banked everything on this one huge roll of the dice, and not to conclusively beat the Clans. Not to be able to stand tall atop their pile of corpses and declare himself unstoppable. He knows there are more Clans out there, not to mention potential enemies in the Inner Sphere if they find out what riches lie in the Rim. No, this enormously complex, drawn out plan has all been designed not for total victory, because that is unachievable in one fell swoop. It has been designed to buy them the one resource a competent planner can always use more of. Time.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

No, I agree with you, which is why I took pains to point out that they're not a Mary Sue - the very fact that they're on such a shaky foundation demonstrates that - but that doesn't take away from the fact that personally (and I'm not saying anyone needs to agree, for the record) I don't care for the NRWR because thus far they've been too smart and Battletech needs more stupid if it's gonna work. :D

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

But honestly, I'm looking forward to the day it all blows up in their faces.

I agree on this line, and honestly on most of the rest too. We may have voted differently, and for different reasons, but I think we see the NRWR in pretty similar ways outside of the fake-rules-of-war ethical questions.

• Locked thread