Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Roth posted:

You don't have to actually read every single comic featuring Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men, Deadpool, and Black Lightning to enjoy superhero comics.
Yeah the best Marvel comics this year was one that was spun off a variant cover and Blackbolt (which is sad that not more people are talking about since so many people have such a misguided hatred of the InHumans)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah the best Marvel comics this year was one that was spun off a variant cover and Blackbolt (which is sad that not more people are talking about since so many people have such a misguided hatred of the InHumans)

There's a lot of fantastic comics that get released every year, and don't receive any attention across a wide variety of genres. It's a shame, because I feel like the medium has been very strong in recent years, creatively speaking.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Roth posted:

Manga's able to get away with that due to being in black and white and printed on low quality paper. Which, good luck convincing the western comic industry to adopt that practice.

I got a handful of collections of old poo poo like Tomb of Dracula that're printed manga style- just lineart on newsprint- and they look a shitload better than the original color stuff.

Of course, today there's so much reliance on color in many titles, they probably couldn't get the same effect without aiming for it.

And, knowing Western companies, even if they tried, it'd end up being some crap Tokyo Pop style junk where they just draw all the comics with big shiny eyes because clearly the only thing attracting the kids to manga is the superficial style.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Roth posted:

There's a lot of fantastic comics that get released every year, and don't receive any attention across a wide variety of genres. It's a shame, because I feel like the medium has been very strong in recent years, creatively speaking.

The one time I really tried to earnestly get into comics was during Blackest Night, and I was absolutely enthralled at all the books the tie-ins got me to give a shot. I would have never bought an Atom and Hawkman or Weird Western Tales or Doom Patrol comic and I'd never even heard of Starman or R.E.B.E.L.S. Add to that that the DCU's status quo was crazy at that time. Dick Greyson was Batman and Robin was Bruce's son, also Bruce was dead and half of the Bat villains were good guys and there were a bunch of tertiary Bat heroes working for Oracle or whatever. Green Lantern had me falling in love with an absurdly massive cast of secondary character's I'd never heard of other than Killowog, on top of all the new guys from the other colored Corps. The Justice League was made up entirely of background characters from the DCAU cartoon, all the Titans I knew from the cartoons or distant youth memories were elder statesmen to a generation of Titans I didn't know, who were in turn just getting ready to become mentors to a BRAND NEW generation of Titans, introducing me to a ton of new personalities and potential. I was intrigued by everything I saw and wanted to learn more. I must have spent hundreds of dollars on comics that year.

Then came New 52, and the shine went off that real quick...

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

business hammocks posted:

I just got this channel’s latest as a recommended video. I wonder if he’s paying for promotion or if the algorithm’s getting better at figuring out what I’d actually like to watch. They’re well-reasoned videos with unique presentation. They remind me a lot of the longer Feminist Frequency videos in visual style and tone, and make me wonder if Anita Sarkeesian would have gotten any poo poo if she were a man (no).

He's Anita's old writer and video producer.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I don't know if they've been mentioned, but Bryan Schilligo and Kyle Hinton host a show called Good Bad or Bad Bad, where they watch bad movies and try to figure out if they're entertainingly bad or just bad. I find 'em funny.

Their latest review is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKqgUavUPFE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XgSujILtyQ

Bennett rounds out his look at Gundam with a review of Best Gundam: War In the Pocket.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I died a little while watching this.

Alaois posted:

Colin Spacetwinks is just yet another example of the weird internet phenomenon where someone who's identity was not initially established as "I am a person here to give my critiques/opinions about things" but they found themselves with a large enough following that they either felt pressured to or just realized they had an audience to suddenly start speaking authoritatively on everything

Is Colin Spacetwinks comparable to 9Volt?

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Yeah uh... Pop Culture Detective can be okay, but the guy behind them is an rear end in a top hat. His response to Blizzard canonizing Tracer as gay was "of course they pick the obvious one, they should've picked one of the femmier ones. Blizzard and their stereotypes suck", and then when a bunch of queer women tweeted him "uh... sometimes we look like Tracer yes. We like this turn of events" he blocked them and acted like it was only cis straight dudes yelling at him. He's basically stereotypical cis het white male feminist.txt. Probably better than Aaron Diaz but that's not... high praise. He also routinely seems to conflate pacifism and feminism in his tweets.

Like, I'm sure part of it is Twitter is a bad platform, Pop Culture Detective makes him seem a lot more reasonable than his hot takes on Twitter. But that whole thing with blocking queer women who disagreed with him on queer woman representation left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll take your word for it on the video. I don't care for Big Bang Theory (or really any of the Chuck Lorre sitcoms), but I don't want to stomach McIntosh.

I remember him complaining about the Tracer thing, saying that they should have made people 'uncomfortable'. I didn't know he blocked women over it, though. It brings to mind his critique on Mad Max: Fury Road.

From Tony Zhou, of Every Frame A Painting:
https://twitter.com/tonyszhou/status/601143674626412544

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Can this dumb motherfucker just insult a cartel lord or a yakuza member on social media please?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Someone on Twitter brought a good point up. We gotta stop overusing 'problematic'. Problematic is a great word for things that have both merits culturally and flaws in representation/social issues. Simpsons, for example, is 'problematic' in many ways, it has great stuff but it also pretty much treats foriegn cultures as giant punchlines and being so old has some pretty unfortunate dated jokes and all. Problematic works for that because no one is saying Simpsons is RACIST or BAD, just...there are problems.

Logan's thing is just racist. He did lovely, racist, thing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can this dumb motherfucker just insult a cartel lord or a yakuza member on social media please?

drat it, now I'm just imagining Kiryu Kazuma whacking him in the head with store signs.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

He's so bad he even managed to piss off the chillest (former :() movie critic in Internetdom. It's as true now as it was in 2014 - NEVER go #FullMcIntosh.

quote:

drat it, now I'm just imagining Kiryu Kazuma whacking him in the head with store signs.

Screw that, I'm imagining Logan's head impaled on a turtle that's slowly walking towards Jake and his crew.

(...Is that too much? It might be too much. NAAAHHH)

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 6, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The crummy bit of McIntosh's stupid reaction with the Overwatch situation is that if he'd approached it from another way, he could've tried to tackle a halfway decent topic. Queer rear end person, I'm glad for increased LGBT representation in stuff, games, shows, comics and all that, but to some part it really does feel like whenever developers or writers or whoever want to make a LGBT character, a whole, whole lot of them lean on going with a cute lady because it's a "safer" choice, compared to really any type of gay man. For instance if it's a burly hunky dude then it's threatening to insecure dudebros and nerdlingers, if they're more effeminate they often run a higher risk of hitting bad stereotypes/tropes, of course there'll always be a significant enough contingent who'll raise hell about even the most milquetoast of any LGBT characters regardless, but then a bunch of those people disappear or are easier brushed off when you pick a quirky lady, so it feels like that's what we get more of the time. Obviously no matter who they chose it was a good thing, not like I'm trying to say "Less lesbians!", but I'd be lying if I said I didn't go "Well yeah" when it was her, so less the previous statement and more to the tune of "More gays too!" Though looking past even the both of those, way off to the side we also have the desert with occasional tumbleweed that is trans representation most of the time, that'd be nice to work on, but who knows when that's ever gonna really get it's push.

That's my big dumb report on why McIntosh is bad and how he dropped a super easy softball catch of a topic, all he had to do was say "It's good, but keep going."

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

The crummy bit of McIntosh's stupid reaction with the Overwatch situation is that if he'd approached it from another way, he could've tried to tackle a halfway decent topic. Queer rear end person, I'm glad for increased LGBT representation in stuff, games, shows, comics and all that, but to some part it really does feel like whenever developers or writers or whoever want to make a LGBT character, a whole, whole lot of them lean on going with a cute lady because it's a "safer" choice, compared to really any type of gay man. For instance if it's a burly hunky dude then it's threatening to insecure dudebros and nerdlingers, if they're more effeminate they often run a higher risk of hitting bad stereotypes/tropes, of course there'll always be a significant enough contingent who'll raise hell about even the most milquetoast of any LGBT characters regardless, but then a bunch of those people disappear or are easier brushed off when you pick a quirky lady, so it feels like that's what we get more of the time. Obviously no matter who they chose it was a good thing, not like I'm trying to say "Less lesbians!", but I'd be lying if I said I didn't go "Well yeah" when it was her, so less the previous statement and more to the tune of "More gays too!" Though looking past even the both of those, way off to the side we also have the desert with occasional tumbleweed that is trans representation most of the time, that'd be nice to work on, but who knows when that's ever gonna really get it's push.

That's my big dumb report on why McIntosh is bad and how he dropped a super easy softball catch of a topic, all he had to do was say "It's good, but keep going."

I think one of the things brought up was, "Well, if not Tracer, then who?" The only other ladies on the team at that time were Pharah, Mei, Widowmaker, D.Va, Zarya, and Mercy.

Also, maybe I'm confusing this with something else, but wasn't one the ideas with Overwatch was that the sexuality of all the characters were meant to be undefined/ambiguous so as to make them more malleable for the fans?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The trick is that no Overwatches gently caress. Therefore you can project whatever identity or fantasy you want onto them.

This is good for business but ethically it's transparently gutless.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sanguinia posted:

The one time I really tried to earnestly get into comics was during Blackest Night, and I was absolutely enthralled at all the books the tie-ins got me to give a shot. I would have never bought an Atom and Hawkman or Weird Western Tales or Doom Patrol comic and I'd never even heard of Starman or R.E.B.E.L.S. Add to that that the DCU's status quo was crazy at that time. Dick Greyson was Batman and Robin was Bruce's son, also Bruce was dead and half of the Bat villains were good guys and there were a bunch of tertiary Bat heroes working for Oracle or whatever. Green Lantern had me falling in love with an absurdly massive cast of secondary character's I'd never heard of other than Killowog, on top of all the new guys from the other colored Corps. The Justice League was made up entirely of background characters from the DCAU cartoon, all the Titans I knew from the cartoons or distant youth memories were elder statesmen to a generation of Titans I didn't know, who were in turn just getting ready to become mentors to a BRAND NEW generation of Titans, introducing me to a ton of new personalities and potential. I was intrigued by everything I saw and wanted to learn more. I must have spent hundreds of dollars on comics that year.

Then came New 52, and the shine went off that real quick...

For me, it was 52 that got me to care about a lot of lesser-known DC characters and read their stories.

I wish we got movies of the Doom Patrol and The Question instead of more Batman/Superman.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yardbomb posted:

You're missing a major point though; Tracer's not just one of the female characters chosen at random or by marketing to be the token LGBT character. She's the main character for all the game's marketing and featured exclusively on the cover artwork for the physical releases.

CelestialCookie
Oct 23, 2012

I See Dead People

Max Wilco posted:

I think one of the things brought up was, "Well, if not Tracer, then who?" The only other ladies on the team at that time were Pharah, Mei, Widowmaker, D.Va, Zarya, and Mercy.

Also, maybe I'm confusing this with something else, but wasn't one the ideas with Overwatch was that the sexuality of all the characters were meant to be undefined/ambiguous so as to make them more malleable for the fans?

Not really, no. Besides the Tracer thing, I also remember that some people got absurdly angry because Mercy was 'paired' with Genji during Valentine Day events, IIRC. It rattled the Mercy x Pharah crowds, I suppose.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Yardbomb posted:

For instance if it's a burly hunky dude then it's threatening to insecure dudebros and nerdlingers, if they're more effeminate they often run a higher risk of hitting bad stereotypes/tropes

Really gaming needs more bears.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So hey, remember that guy who called Linkara a Trump supporter because he buys Marvel comics?

Well...
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/949361746493374464

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

While tracer being explicitly Queer in the (companion comic book) text is super cool, there is something to be said about the blizzard sort of waiting until everyone was all ready transforming their work to do it. Like obviously Queer fans are going to have to make their own works in anything (and it's going to happen regardless) but it did somewhat feel like blizzard were waiting for the metrics to come in before they said anything.

https://twitter.com/tonyszhou/status/601143904449081344

Not to distract from rightfully mocking Mcintosh but it is surprising to state that the Framing and filming of a scene/event can conflict with the way a text is presenting an event seems off to me.(I mean Dan did a video on it that I found myself agreeng with)

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Alacron posted:

So hey, remember that guy who called Linkara a Trump supporter because he buys Marvel comics?

Well...

^ :eyepop:

Anyway since we're talking about comics I'd like to take the opportunity to talk Brit Comics aka 2000 AD.

2000 AD handles continuity pretty well, when you pick up the main issue which is an anthology there's a synopsis of the series in that issue Dredd and about three or four others, then there's a introduction by the editor Tharg the Mighty catching you up on their stories if your just jumping on. And when a cross over or character from an old story pops up there's some establishing dialogue "I thought you were dead/ what are you doing back in the Megacity/ I should've known" etc, and there will be a footnote telling you what Issue "prog" this relates to if you want to go back to it.

It also helps that its long running series like Dredd and Nemesis were all set in the same continuity with the same characters whom age pretty much in real time, so even though writers and artists change, and issues and stories arcs can be very different tone and genre wise aside from a few slip ups, and some pretty big copyright lawsuit threats, its not that hard to jump on board in the middle of a run.

Its a pretty good system to use in my opinion at worst by not starting at prog 1 your just missing out on some stories, I got back into reading 2000AD in 2008 and it was in the middle of a Dredd storyline and I didn't recognise any of the other stories that were running at the time.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Stormgale posted:

While tracer being explicitly Queer in the (companion comic book) text is super cool, there is something to be said about the blizzard sort of waiting until everyone was all ready transforming their work to do it. Like obviously Queer fans are going to have to make their own works in anything (and it's going to happen regardless) but it did somewhat feel like blizzard were waiting for the metrics to come in before they said anything.

https://twitter.com/tonyszhou/status/601143904449081344

Not to distract from rightfully mocking Mcintosh but it is surprising to state that the Framing and filming of a scene/event can conflict with the way a text is presenting an event seems off to me.(I mean Dan did a video on it that I found myself agreeng with)

Overwatch Chat: You might have a point there, especially when you can compare that Archer dude from Mortal Kombat X they were not afraid to make explicitly gay from minute one. But on the other hand, Blizzard has made it their business with Overwatch to make it hard for an outsider to parse out how much they've had planned from the start and how much they're following the fandom's flow. In this case though, I would lean toward them always having had that element of Tracer's character and just looking for the right time to make it explicit, like they've done with a lot of the Overwatch backstories. Diversity was job one with this game even if it was carefully calculated corporate profit seeking diversity.

McIntosh Chat: I think the objection he was raising was that the guy was deliberately trying to evoke videogame pop-criticism in the form of ludonarrative dissoance and stretch it to fit movie critique, not that the idea of a disconnect between the text and the conveyance of that text is without merit.

Ludonarrative Dissonance is not really something that movies can replicate because its directly tied to the audience's ability to mechanically input into a game and emotionally respond to the output they get in return, IE if jumping in a game is fun or frustrating depending on how the jump physics work. The idea is that the emotional response to a game's mechanics should be linked to the emotional response being called for by the game's story, and if that connection is lacking there is dissonance between what the game is telling you to feel and what the game is MAKING you feel. It's unique to the interactivity. Games use framing and camera angles and lighting to evoke feelings also, but a conflict between that and the dialouge does not create ludonarrative dissonance, only a conflict between gameplay and story.

I'm certain there is a similar relevant concept in film theory related to the movie telling you two different, potentially conflicting things at the same time as you passively absorb both text and visual language, but making up a new one with the intent of evoking an unrelated concept is intellectually lazy. This isn't even discussing that Ludonarrative Dissonance has an almost exclusively negative connotation among most of those who use it, and it's most commonly used among game critics as an accusation that the artists making the work didn't know what they were doing and the dissonance was the result of them being lazy, ignorant, or pandering to their audience's Id as a cash-grab. Ham-fisting it into a critique of film is trying to skip to the conclusion of your criticism via shorthand without actually making an argument.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

EDIT: Going back to a previous subject...you think that Logan Paul's time in Japan before being a hypebeast around a dead body was full of respect for the culture and spiritual fulfillment? You would be. of course, wrong.

https://twitter.com/wetheunicorns/status/949297972986163200

It blows my mind that this is what passes for popular entertainment. It probably shouldn't maybe I'm just too old to see it as anything other than a group of arseholes being arseholes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Re: McIntosh. IIRC he basically all but said they should've made the butch Zarya gay, because lesbians are bad if they can possibly give a straight guy a boner. Not only was that amazingly offensive for all sorts of reasons, but LOL if he thinks there are no straight guys who are into Zarya.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Jeez. Logan Paul, Jonathan McIntosh, Marvel...all we post about lately is basically a shower of cunts, isn't it? So, I have a bit of a proposal - a possible topic for the thread (unless, y'know, some YouTuber decides to do something terrible in the next few hours).

Which Youtubers, Internet Critics or otherwise, do you think made the best content/took the most positive steps/etc. in 2017?

Basically an excuse to tallk about anyone who you think had a particularly awesome year, post your favourite videos and what have you. And also a way to help creators like myself delude ourselves into thinking that YouTube isn't a cesspit.

I've got two stand-out names. First one is Binging With Babish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnXu22HZBNQ

I think he started the year with, like, about 200,000 subs or so? He ended it at 1.9 Million - and he did it simply by recreating food from movies and TV, having an awesome presence and slick style that felt professional straight from the off, but was just so comfortable and made me feel right at home. Andrew Rea doesn't just excel at YouTube, he makes it look easy - he releases a video every week and I can't think of one that wasn't very good. Aside from the purposefully nasty stuff, everything he makes is delicious too. And his newer Basics with Babish series is actually finally helping me learn how to cook when so many other things have failed. And in the end he's simply an awesome personality - he had it all from the off, and he just needs to continue what he's doing.

My 2nd pick is someone who I talk about loads in the thread already, but jeez...can't mention him enough, to be honest. The True Geordie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuDgD9RKhw0

You don't usually get people like this guy making a big success of themselves on YouTube - he's a 30 year old, big muscled, working class Geordie former deep sea diver who's admitted that if it wasn't for YouTube he wouldn't know where the hell he'd be today. You can kinda tell that in everything he does because he works out of his loving skin, produces a wide variety of content and excels at all of it. His bread and butter is football, whether it's reviewing the weekend's action or doing livestreams on the weekend, but he's so much freaking more...the podcasts he does with his best friend Laurence (very talented and good dude in his own right) are almost always brilliant, whether it's just them two bantering or if they have a guest on, and some of those guests are pretty spectacular - whether it's a big name like Robbie Williams (seriously) or simply someone who's got an unreal story to tell, and there's so much variation. He's frankly brilliant, and while the video was pretty sad I was so happy for the attention he got for his Logan Paul video. Sure, his videos are incredibly sweary and often very laddish - you'd expect no less from a Geordie...but again, it feels like home. He actually DOES feel like your mate, as silly as it sounds. The video posted is one that simply goes through his personal highlights of 2017 - there's so much good and varied stuff that it'd be impossible to pick just one vid to represent him. One of the most honest people on the whole platform.

--

Anyway, there's my duo. They're both blokes, and they're both beardy and bald. Who have you got?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Someone on Twitter brought a good point up. We gotta stop overusing 'problematic'. Problematic is a great word for things that have both merits culturally and flaws in representation/social issues. Simpsons, for example, is 'problematic' in many ways, it has great stuff but it also pretty much treats foriegn cultures as giant punchlines and being so old has some pretty unfortunate dated jokes and all. Problematic works for that because no one is saying Simpsons is RACIST or BAD, just...there are problems.

Logan's thing is just racist. He did lovely, racist, thing.

Oh yeah, I 100% agree. It's not that the word itself is bad, people have just got to use some synonyms for god's sake. Same issue with a middle school essay with 'very' being used 40 times a paragraph.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

DoctorWhat posted:

The trick is that no Overwatches gently caress. Therefore you can project whatever identity or fantasy you want onto them.

This is good for business but ethically it's transparently gutless.

Ah yes it's ethically gutless to not write official gently caress sex fiction for this arena FPS. What does Unreal Tournament Guy jack off to? What sites does Quake Guy use?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Under the vegetable posted:

What does Unreal Tournament Guy jack off to? What sites does Quake Guy use?

I need to know these things, also how big is DOOM Marine's stash?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

bessantj posted:

It blows my mind that this is what passes for popular entertainment. It probably shouldn't maybe I'm just too old to see it as anything other than a group of arseholes being arseholes.
I have no qualm admitting that shitdips like that make me legit jealous of how financially comfortable they (seemingly) are. I'm constantly struggling with physical pain and finding steady employment and these asshats get to live the life.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Zedd posted:

I have no qualm admitting that shitdips like that make me legit jealous of how financially comfortable they (seemingly) are. I'm constantly struggling with physical pain and finding steady employment and these asshats get to live the life.

Now I'm no big city YT star researcher but it seems that a lot of these big personalities come from money to begin with. Now that I think about it, it explains a lot, the expensive sound and video recording rigs, the freedom to dedicate so much time to vlogs, the inherent confidence and the poor judgement and inability to notice obvious consequences for stupid stunts.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah most of them are trust fund babies who have hired marketing and production experts to make their crap.

Even most of the little kids doing shows on YouTube are that,often with pure exploitation by the parents.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Baka-nin posted:

Now I'm no big city YT star researcher but it seems that a lot of these big personalities come from money to begin with. Now that I think about it, it explains a lot, the expensive sound and video recording rigs, the freedom to dedicate so much time to vlogs, the inherent confidence and the poor judgement and inability to notice obvious consequences for stupid stunts.

Yep, most of the real big youtube superstars anyone could point to started from mommy and daddy's money, it's also why so many of them keep turning out to be empathy-less assholes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

For me, it was 52 that got me to care about a lot of lesser-known DC characters and read their stories.

I wish we got movies of the Doom Patrol and The Question instead of more Batman/Superman.

New 52's Batwoman is a solid series. Well, up until the two original guys left. I heard it takes a nosedive after that but Elegy and the first half-dozen compilation books are pretty amazing.

John Murdoch posted:

Re: McIntosh. IIRC he basically all but said they should've made the butch Zarya gay, because lesbians are bad if they can possibly give a straight guy a boner. Not only was that amazingly offensive for all sorts of reasons, but LOL if he thinks there are no straight guys who are into Zarya.

Yeah, it was really dumb. I mean, I know of a few lesbians who share Zarya's look (short hair, tall and/or buff) who are always bummed out that companies shy away from the "stereotypical" lesbian character because popular media ruined that image in terrible 80's and 90's comedies. They feel excluded when characters like that end up in games but are straight. But McIntosh's comments were just really bad. Representation is not about making white straight guys uncomfortable and he needs to stop with that line of thought.

Here's a good defense of Man of Steel, if anyone's interested. Made by our very own K. Waste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKI0UO5U7qo

His modulated voice takes getting used to but he's quite insightful and well worth watching even if you didn't care for the film.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder if there's going to be a gently caress you, it's January video

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Huh now that I posted that question, I went to youtube and they have a 2017 movie roundup video posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRinktgcrcw

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alacron posted:

Well...

I would watch a CW show about Disney's assassin unit. :munch:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I would watch a CW show about Disney's assassin unit. :munch:

"Haha! See ya real soon... IN HELL!"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

Ah yes it's ethically gutless to not write official gently caress sex fiction for this arena FPS. What does Unreal Tournament Guy jack off to? What sites does Quake Guy use?

as we all know, you and ethics go way back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Baka-nin posted:

At VidCon this year I saw some doughy wannabe vlog superstar running around recording their vlog on a RED Helium 8K, and at least three others with Scarlets and Weapons.

• Locked thread