Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

In Training posted:

Hell, a dualshock 4 alone is like 60 - 70 dollars these days.

tbh i started using it out of laziness a few months ago and havent gone back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I bought the older version of this and it works great. Not sure what the issues are supposed to be but it's been rock solid for me.

The adjustable dpad is held by a wheel you tighten rather than a lock so if you play on it a particular way it cones loose and moves

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
oh sorry i forgot to mention that I have a RockCandy 360 pad which isn't bad, and I can also play Tekken 7 and GG on keyboard as well, but I'm looking for bigger buttons to slap around when playing.

I'm just gonna gently caress around with that site on designing a case and then commit to all the parts I need when I get all the money.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

The adjustable dpad is held by a wheel you tighten rather than a lock so if you play on it a particular way it cones loose and moves

mine got loose after a few months and wouldn't stay locked

by that time the new model came out and i jumped at the chance to get a symmetrical hori pad

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
One custom stick maker I enjoy plugging a lot is All Fight Sticks: http://allfightsticks.com/

I have two of these myself. They are sturdy, hefty things made of powder coated steel or something and come in all sorts of different layouts and configurations (including some of the more exotic layouts like Korean, Astro City 2p side, and stickless/hitbox) that you can specify yourself. The guy who runs it is extremely helpful (seriously, I can't commend his customer service enough) and will occasionally post deals on premade enclosures with some slight imperfections at a deep discount on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/allfightsticks/). He can also likely accommodate any custom requests you might have if you just message him.

my sticks (I'm not a stick art guy):

They do require some DIY assembly and wiring but it's nothing you can't figure out with Google. I think they might even pre-assemble it all for you if you ask.

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 6, 2018

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Most of the hitbox/hurtbox adjustments in the leaked sf5 patch most likely have to do with adjusting jumping attacks/aa's. Capcom cup build a lot of jab anti airs became more poo poo, but more traditional "proper" anti air buttons got stronger and the patch notes seem to line up with that(along with changing the hurtboxes of a lot of jumpins).

also character wise vega got a bunch of little buffs but a massive nerf so he still sucks but Abigail got tons of quality of life changes and is all the better yet which is great because Abigail freakin owns :)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

also character wise vega got a bunch of little buffs but a massive nerf so he still sucks

What's the nerf? I must've missed it.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

What's the nerf? I must've missed it.

Light roll has more pushback on hit so you're out of range for a throw.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Arzachel posted:

Light roll has more pushback on hit so you're out of range for a throw.

Yep more more light roll loop pressure. It was the one thing he got to balance out the crippling in season 2 and now he doesn't have that anymore. There are buffs sure but losing that really sucks.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
His anti-airs are mostly improved.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all vt's will have double scaling in combos now? I thought i was supposed to be excited about the v system again

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Real hurthling! posted:

all vt's will have double scaling in combos now? I thought i was supposed to be excited about the v system again

Makes people who jab into VT into you're dead like Balrog a smidge less annoying.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you'll have a much easier and better time using that then most anything you'd find for under $150. people aren't saying it to be dicks, we've all done it before and regret it.

This is me. I don't really regret buying an Hori Fighting Stick Mini 3 for $30 as my first fight stick though. The thing still works roughly 4 (5?) years later and is nice as a beater to have around when someone comes over and wants to play any fighting games. But yeah, I used a friend's Panthera before buying my own. Going from the Mini 3 to that was huge. I got it on sale for $150. I do regret not picking up a Qanba Drone for $40 on Newegg a couple months back, just to have as a spare.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Throw loops and command throws got nerfed so I'm guessing Vega's roll into throw got hit for the same reason as those.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Just wanna nth the wisdom of not buying cheap sticks. You'll end up either paying a bunch extra to mod it to make it not a piece of poo poo or you'll pay extra to upgrade to a real stick because you realize what a mistake a cheap stick is. I got a panthera for christmas and I loving love it, it immediately became one of my favorite gaming peripherals.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Sade posted:

Just wanna nth the wisdom of not buying cheap sticks. You'll end up either paying a bunch extra to mod it to make it not a piece of poo poo or you'll pay extra to upgrade to a real stick because you realize what a mistake a cheap stick is. I got a panthera for christmas and I loving love it, it immediately became one of my favorite gaming peripherals.

if you use in pc make sure you upgrade the firmware for better input lag

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Futuresight posted:

Throw loops and command throws got nerfed so I'm guessing Vega's roll into throw got hit for the same reason as those.

how did command throws get nerfed?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MrJacobs posted:

how did command throws get nerfed?

They all have extra frames of recovery to the point where you can apparently get a jump in punish on reaction to a missed Zangief SPD lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey this video only has 50kish views so some of you might not have seen it but mvci was made for less money than a season of sfv dlc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zand posted:

if you use in pc make sure you upgrade the firmware for better input lag

The firmware is even better for ps4 it goes from like 15 ms to 3ms

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=products&cat=12&subcat=&item=120 - art's hobbies does a cool acrylic case, they're well cut and go together nicely. You can even pick button configs like hitbox/viewlex/sega/capcom 6 button/weirdo MK and get sikk as gently caress etchings of your gamertag and waifu on it. takes a couple weeks to ship but he's a really good dude. Starts around 50 bucks and goes up with options.

Is it me or does the stick placement look really close to the buttons?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dizz posted:

Is it me or does the stick placement look really close to the buttons?
its you

there are many diff layouts

http://allfightsticks.com/shop

you can see the different panel types here for this particular vendor. the "sega" layout is the distance for sega arcade cabinets like blast city/astro city etc. but they also sell "extended" versions that put them farther apart. if you look at viewlix vs noir vs sega you'll see the sticks are mostly the same distance to the buttons unless its the "extended" one

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Zand posted:

its you

there are many diff layouts

http://allfightsticks.com/shop

you can see the different panel types here for this particular vendor. the "sega" layout is the distance for sega arcade cabinets like blast city/astro city etc. but they also sell "extended" versions that put them farther apart. if you look at viewlix vs noir vs sega you'll see the sticks are mostly the same distance to the buttons unless its the "extended" one

fair enough.

I ordered the case now since it seems like it would be the longest thing I wait on, so once it ships, I will purchase the rest of the things. The page didn't say where I was supposed to put the art etching in it so I sent an email.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Dizz posted:

fair enough.

I ordered the case now since it seems like it would be the longest thing I wait on, so once it ships, I will purchase the rest of the things. The page didn't say where I was supposed to put the art etching in it so I sent an email.

he may take a few days to respond in my experience, but hes good for stuff. don't fret.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also idk where you are; if you're west coast then you might wanna look at paradise arcade for buttons and stuff as they're out of hawaii

focus attack is in PA and ships really fast to east coast

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I'm in NY so Focus Attack should be better.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
The tek innovations is a good case but fair warning; if you rest your hands in the edge of the case it’s really sharp. Look into weather stripping or rounding off the edges. I got tired of it after a year and ended up getting an allfightsticks case. Two in fact, one for a Korean stick and one for Japanese parts.

Once you use an extended layout you’ll never go back.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Here are a few clips of my pal playing tekken 7... Any tips?

https://clips.twitch.tv/RacyFrigidKoalaBibleThump

https://clips.twitch.tv/SolidCheerfulOrangeVoHiYo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Holy poo poo Capcom actually doing something right for once?! Unbelievable.
They added frame data info into the training mode.

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Holy poo poo Capcom actually doing something right for once?! Unbelievable.
They added frame data info into the training mode.

2P rematch seems to be back too

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
that's... actually a weirdly good point. the DS4 is the only pad that's even remotely reliable for 2d games with strict inputs; I wonder how much of the "accessibility barrier" to fighters would pretty much instantly vanish if more comfortable and precise controllers were commonplace instead of being a niche item.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

that's... actually a weirdly good point. the DS4 is the only pad that's even remotely reliable for 2d games with strict inputs; I wonder how much of the "accessibility barrier" to fighters would pretty much instantly vanish if more comfortable and precise controllers were commonplace instead of being a niche item.

I play on a keyboard and the only thing that stops me performing combos is me. I don't think much of pads as an input device but I seriously doubt they're impossible to achieve better accuracy than that on, let alone in a game with an input parser like modern Capcom games'.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 7, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Let me introduce you to my good ol' friend:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've seen Smug play on a Xbox pad.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
And dude playing Rose won evo with a PS1 controller. Poor workman tools etc

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I still use a PS1 controller. For Xrd.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

nuckledu is a world champ on pad for sfv

ryanlv is a world champ on pad for mvc3

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The accessibility barrier is people being able to complain about dumb poo poo like controllers without someone telling them they're wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I play on a keyboard and the only thing that stops me performing combos is me. I don't think much of pads as an input device but I seriously doubt they're impossible to achieve better accuracy than that on, let alone in a game with an input parser like modern Capcom games'.

Yeah I also usually play on a keyboard and have been thinking about getting a stickless fight sick since it'd make bigger motions like half circles and full circles easier