Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, bear in mind just the upcoming anniversary of it was enough to make a French dude do nude yoga to nuke an island in the pacific. "How about you kill yourself and see what happens" doesn't seem that weird in context.

Especially when the answer to that in the past has been "some weird poo poo, then I wake up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I still cannot believe how well they pulled off the ending. I'm glad they did the Choose your own Explanation without going too far into details for the What and never even tried to answer the Why or How.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This owns.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Perfect.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ann Dowd won!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It blows my mind how well The Handmaid's Tale, a firm B/ B+, did when The Leftovers was the far superior show

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Also, in case anyone wants to listen to a podcast very much in line with this show, here is a link to an episode of This American Life. The first act is about a non-functional phone booth that a Japanese man installed so that he could "call" his cousin, whom he spoke to daily, after they died in the tsunami. Eventually word spread about this phone booth, and people from all over came to call their loved ones. A journalist installs a microphone and camera, and listens to what people say.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

Ann Dowd won!

hahahah :(

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
So it looks like Lindelof's Watchmen series is really going to happen. At least a pilot.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZO0ijeDh43/?taken-by=damonlindelof

I just hope that no matter what they change they keep (very vague spoilers) something closer to the original ending, compared to the movie version.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm very excited about this. I hope the pilot's good.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I wonder how many of the Leftovers writers and production team members are going to be working on that, too.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well I hope Mimi Leder is.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm going to need Max Richter in this too.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Niwrad posted:

If not him, who else would be a good fit?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Lord Krangdar posted:

If not him, who else would be a good fit?

I thought Michael Giacchino's work on Lost was superb.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Friendly PSA: Kevin Carroll is super nice on Twitter.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Niwrad posted:

He'd have to do something considerably different to what he usually does.

I'd prefer someone like Cristobal Tapia de Veer.

(Leder's a good choice for direction, though.)

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Niwrad posted:

I feel like this show is a bad one to binge watch. Each season feels like it needs at least a couple months to sink in.

I've been doing my first rewatch of the series. My first time rewatching any episodes, although I do watch certain scenes on YTube sometimes. I actually did take a couple of weeks to start S2 after S1 so that the material could simmer in my brain. I actually started with episode 9, the pre-Departure episode, and then watched the rest in order. I've been enjoying everything much more because I realize on my initial viewings that I was looking for answers, looking to Get It. I know I was too focused on What's Gonna Happen because a scene like Kevin reading the eulogy in Cairo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZDj4nTFNY) didn't really affect me then, but now I realize that scene is like a masterclass in acting, directing, lighting, music/score.

What prompted this was seeing The Leftovers pop up in so many End of Year lists. The show is consistently landing in people's top three, and is often #1 or #2. And thank goodness it is because this show is truly amazing, and I found it's final season to be its best yet. The Leftovers sub-reddit has been listing the show's appearances on these lists, and it pleases me to see the show get the praise it deserves.

What's sad about the rewatch is that the showrunners seemed to have bigger plans. In the penultimate episode of S2, Ten Thirteen, we spend a whole hour with Meg as they build her up as the big villain, and we see her with Evie triumphantly mocking Kevin in the S2 finale, only for her to be snuffed out early in S3's first episode. (Although it does make narrative sense, the GR head warns Meg that her actions will lead to authorities to overreact.) I just wish I had more time with these characters in this world. In the story, 3 or 4 years pass between S2 and S3. I imagine the bulk of the S3 we got should've been its S4. I wonder what the writers had planned and what they had to scrap.

For instance, one thing never explained that seems like it would have been is in S1E9, when Kevin is on his run having a cigarette. He's dressed in white, a car pulls up containing four women in plainclothes, a woman asks him "Are you ready?" but then says "Sorry, I thought you were someone else" and drives off. So it seems like the GR might've been gathering before the Departure even happened.

Also, Justin Theroux has a brief cameo in The Last Jedi.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

ProperCoochie posted:

Also, Justin Theroux has a brief cameo in The Last Jedi.

That was actually Kevin Garvey during one of his episodes.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lmfao these are great

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Leftovers will go down as one of HBO's greatest shows that people didn't watch at the time, in line with or greater than The Wire.

I seriously did not expect to be saying that after how I responded to the first season. Since that time I've suffered several personal loses and the world has witnessed the insanity that is the Trump presidency. The show makes a lot more sense to me than it once did, and I can honestly accept Meg as a Good Character. What didn't make sense about her to me is clearer now, and though she is the villain of the series, her motivations make sense to me now.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
This show is a total masterpiece and I look forward to introducing it to people for years to come. I'm so glad it's showing up on many year-end lists. Absolutely brilliant.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

el oso posted:

This show is a total masterpiece and I look forward to introducing it to people for years to come. I'm so glad it's showing up on many year-end lists. Absolutely brilliant.

Where's this gif from? Matt originally says that at night, and he's not looking directly into the camera.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its the last scene in the boat episode

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gorn Myson posted:

Its the last scene in the boat episode

Weird, I totally remember that scene differently.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Professor Shark posted:

The Leftovers will go down as one of HBO's greatest shows that people didn't watch at the time, in line with or greater than The Wire and Carnivàle.
Fixed that for you.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Weird, I totally remember that scene differently.

Most of the scenes are at night and during that crazy party. But the dude gets tackled as he's leaving the boat when they arrive and this is Matt's response.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

el oso posted:

hell, same

I feel it's an easy show to recommend, too, if only for how short and sweet its run was. I loved season one personally, but I can see that being the only hurdle some people may have in getting it to click right away. Though probably easily mitigated if you give fair warning to not go into the show expecting answers about the Departure itself.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just told someone to watch it for the 30th time and they finally did and called me on the phone crying and thanking me and apologizing it took them so long to start watching.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I keep recommending it and people give me an "eh I don't know". Every single person who eventually watched it tells me they loved it and it's one of the best shows they've ever seen.

Dipshit reviewers who wanted to join the bandwagon really hurt this show early on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aexo posted:

Fixed that for you.

I liked The Wire and Carnivale, but this is both more accessible and more human. The wire may speak to some political truths, but it’s long and to be honest more than a little boring. Carnivale is great and complex but really difficult to follow.

The Leftovers is 3 seasons, and it’s about very human feelings of loss and grief and confusion right off the bat. Almost every performance is amazing, too.

It’s also one of the rare shows with a central mystery that sticks the landing at the end, too.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Being only 30 episodes really makes this show my favorite. There are a handful of other shows I would consider "great" but I will probably never be able to watch completely again due to crazy episode counts.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

UmOk posted:

30 episodes

28 :eng101:.

The low number of episodes really makes it more appealing to rewatch. I kinda want to rewatch The Sopranos and Breaking Bad but there are just so many god drat episodes, I don't have time for that!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Popelmon posted:

28 :eng101:.

The low number of episodes really makes it more appealing to rewatch. I kinda want to rewatch The Sopranos and Breaking Bad but there are just so many god drat episodes, I don't have time for that!
Yeah I love Breaking Bad but it does have a lot of episodes.

It's funny because I remember once thinking it was relatively short compared to Lost, which has like twice as many.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Speaking of rewatch, I started mine and have to say that the first season is really underappreciated. So many small bits of world-building that the deep focus on individual characters in later seasons don't really have room for. From high school parties being just a bit more extreme to Matt's church losing members, these are just some really well crafted changes that are within "normal" bounds that make sense.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Season 1 actually fuckin' owns and is so abysmally sad and brutally emotionally nut-kicking that normals have trouble handling it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I think -- at the time -- there wasn't a great deal of appreciation for the fact that it was a post-apocalyptic show, so a lot of the characterisation and world building was seen as being laughably extreme. That, and there's not an awful lot of mythology to that season; its uptick in popularity happens pretty much simultaneously with the addition of JJ Abrahms style pulpy narrative beats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Last Chance posted:

Season 1 actually fuckin' owns and is so abysmally sad and brutally emotionally nut-kicking that normals have trouble handling it

Season 1 may be my favourite season, just going off of memory tbh. It had some of the best moments of the series, like when the GR replaces all the departed family members with those burial bodies.

Whenever I get around to rewatching I'll rank 'em again and see where 1 sits.

• Locked thread