Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm scared that they're going to use the you were in a coma so I left you to die so I could bang your wife defense because The Walking Dead got awful pretty quick.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

big nipples big life posted:

So how long will it take for the judge to respond to this and grant or reject the motion to dismiss?

Hearing is the 9th of Feb

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna lmao when all these redditors who are speaking w such authority get owned when the mtd is denied

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Daztek posted:

Hearing is the 9th of Feb

Imagine Chris in front of a Judge....

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I'm going to take the minority view and say some of the arguments are at least colorable (not going to disagree on the writing, which is crap):

There’s an argument as to whether “exclusive” means that CIG needs to only use Crytek’s engine, or whether only CIG can use Crytek’s engine, and there’s support either way. The contract isn’t as strongly in favor of Crytek’s argument as the petition indicated, which is why I wanted to actually see it.
    For CIG’s side, when you get an exclusive license, it’s usually not an obligation on you, but rather a benefit because it means no one else gets to use whatever you’re licensing. This is reinforced because “exclusive” in contained in the subsections to 2.1, which is the grant (good stuff for CIG), rather than 2.2, which is restrictions (bad stuff for CIG).
    For Crytek’s side, it’s not an ungrammatical reading of the sentence that CIG can only use Crytek’s engine, so they can at least argue it’s ambiguous and get into intent. Their reading is also supported by other clauses, such as CIG having to always display Crytek’s copyright, rather than only having to display Crytek’s copyright if they continue using Crytek’s engine. Finally, they have an argument that CIG’s interpretation isn’t reasonable, because it can’t be that CIG is the only company that can use Crytek’s engine at all, and it makes no sense for the clause to mean that only CIG can develop Star Citizen with Crytek’s engine, because of course other companies wouldn’t be developing Star Citizen.
Overall, it’s a poorly written contract (sorry, Ortwin), so the fight is probably going to go on. Which is typical, because transactional lawyers aren’t all that good at writing contracts. Litigators are way better at tearing them apart.

The whole argument about RSI not being a party to the contract is perfectly valid, and why you have separate companies. A separate legal entity can’t breach a contract it's not a party to, so Crytek is going to have to jump through more hoops than it has so far.

Despite having some valid legal points, this is still a badly written motion. Judges don’t appreciate bombastic personal attacks, and CIG did themselves no favors there. Like claiming that Crytek was trying to mislead the court by not filing a copy of the contract, when there’s no need to attack evidence to a petition. They also managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with the Ortwin discussion. They couldn’t just take their minor win of talking to Crytek and having the Ortwin allegations dropped from the petition, which Crytek took the high road and did. No, they had to continue to complain about allegations not in the live petition, which just makes CIG look like assholes.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Poor judge....

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Regrettable posted:

Isn't that an admission that they committed fraud when they claimed the game was in development much earlier than it actually was?

Sort of makes you wonder what demo they were going to show and then pull at the last moment now doesn't it?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/949640922911969283
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/949639315050639360

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

tuo posted:

Poor judge....

Poor court scribe who has to record all the 'ums' and 'ah', and 'JUST DO IT'.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Poor court scribe who has to record all the 'ums' and 'ah', and 'JUST DO IT'.

Imagine Ben in court.....

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

tuo posted:

Imagine Ben in court.....

HOLD THE DOOR

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm laughing as all this is taking place during the 0-16 Browns parade. What a day.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dusty Lens posted:

HOLD EXPAND THE DOOR

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Will he find the missing second seat that is necessary for him to sit properly?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

MoMA (who is Toast) job spotted:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/949644569867620352

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

AngusPodgorny posted:

The whole argument about RSI not being a party to the contract is perfectly valid, and why you have separate companies. A separate legal entity can’t breach a contract it's not a party to, so Crytek is going to have to jump through more hoops than it has so far.
Does Skadden have to remedy this? Could they file an amended complaint or file a new case? Or like Dr. Smart posted earlier does the suit apply automatically to CIG since RSI is a subsidiary (if I have that connection right).

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

https://twitter.com/SC_Logicorp/status/949667077991882753

He trying to say that because SQ42 has been explicitely defined as an integral part of the Game, that means it as actually not part of the Game? Lol. These shitizens are really idiots.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

less than three posted:

Can't omit their "You're suing the wrong shell company so it should be dismissed."

Chris does the shell cup game with a hundred cups

Crytek just flips the table and dunks him loudly

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mr.Tophat posted:

No respect for the honest con. And here he thought that there was some honour among thieves devs. :colbert:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Streetroller posted:

Chris, I know you're reading this.

You hosed with the wrong dude.

Good day.

What did you do!?

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

MedicineHut posted:

https://twitter.com/SC_Logicorp/status/949667077991882753

He trying to say that because SQ42 has been explicitely defined as an integral part of the Game, that means it as actually not part of the Game? Lol. These shitizens are really idiots.

Yeah, that section was the most damning honestly. They explicitly say no offshoots of "the Game" or anything that will be sold as a separate product, and then name Squadron 42 as the Singleplayer /Coop , SC as Open Multi, and then Modded Multi.

It's literally detailing that CIG can't sell a second product with the license and including SQ42 under the license of THE GAME......

How are people this stupid?

Edit Disclaimer: I Am Not Nearly A Lawyer.

FailureToReport fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 6, 2018

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Mr.Tophat posted:

CIG's legal strategy

Crytek's legal strategy

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

poo poo. She´s blind. We´re hosed.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AngusPodgorny posted:

For CIG’s side, when you get an exclusive license, it’s usually not an obligation on you, but rather a benefit because it means no one else gets to use whatever you’re licensing. This is reinforced because “exclusive” in contained in the subsections to 2.1, which is the grant (good stuff for CIG), rather than 2.2, which is restrictions (bad stuff for CIG).

So no one gets to use cryengine do develop games (or space games) while SC is in development? How does *that* work?

I mean, how could you possibly argue this? Is there any example of something like that ever happening?

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

nnnotime posted:

Does Skadden have to remedy this? Could they file an amended complaint or file a new case? Or like Dr. Smart posted earlier does the suit apply automatically to CIG since RSI is a subsidiary (if I have that connection right).
They mentioned it in their amendment, so it's likely that it came up in the discussions between the firms and they're ready to argue for it. But I can't fault CIG for bringing it up, because they can't pass up an argument that'd get a client out of the case.

If RSI is a wholly-owned subsidiary of CIG it might end up not mattering, but I don't know the corporate structure. Normally lawyers try to sue their way up a chain of companies, rather than down, because the parents have the most money.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm actually somewhat inclined to agree here, but if CIG loses the lawsuit, I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon tells them to piss off.

Or any other engine maker for that matter.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

So no one gets to use cryengine do develop games (or space games) while SC is in development? How does *that* work?

I mean, how could you possibly argue this? Is there any example of something like that ever happening?
And why didn't CIG take issue with other people using CryEngine while it was exclusively theirs? The amount of bullshit is incredible. It seems like every defense they have to a charge involves them admitting they're guilty of something else. I'm guessing the whole thing will end with a courtroom reenactment of this scene, with the judge playing Megatron and Chris Roberts as Starscream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTEBJBESCo4&t=22s

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

trucutru posted:

Normally you'd get an exclusive license to say, sell Whataburgers in Dallas. And then no one else can sell Whataburgers in Dallas. So by extension, this exclusive license to use Crytek's engine in Star Citizen means no one else can use Crytek's engine in Star Citizen.

It's sloppy drafting by someone that probably lifted licensing language from another contract without thinking about whether it made sense here. It's why I don't find any of the interpretations so far particularly satisfying.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Don't CryTek have a new game coming out that uses CryEngine?
Can CIG therefore sue CryTek for breaking the exclusivity clause in the GLA?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MedicineHut posted:

poo poo. She´s blind. We´re hosed.

The inevitable consequence of consuming one too many Lesnick Challenges on the scales of justice.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

AngusPodgorny posted:

They mentioned it in their amendment, so it's likely that it came up in the discussions between the firms and they're ready to argue for it. But I can't fault CIG for bringing it up, because they can't pass up an argument that'd get a client out of the case.

If RSI is a wholly-owned subsidiary of CIG it might end up not mattering, but I don't know the corporate structure. Normally lawyers try to sue their way up a chain of companies, rather than down, because the parents have the most money.

The top company usually has the most but this is cig. The top company is broke and is supported by the smaller companies that have all the "pledges". In fact, all the money is in a subsidiary of an offshoot of a branch of a PO box in the Cayman isles

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

shrach posted:

Seems like it. Having paid the total €1.85m in installments, is probably what Erin Roberts referred to in that post somewhere when he said they had, "bought out the engine completely" or whatever he said on some random forum.

I think there are plenty of points in the CIG response to arm a smug moma. This show is going to run, renewed for at least another season.

I am maybe wrong but I don´t remember Skadden suit docs mentioning unpaid royalties no?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

nnnotime posted:

They don't need a "remedy". They're just going to file a response to all of that bullshit soon enough.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FailureToReport posted:

Yeah, that section was the most damning honestly. They explicitly say no offshoots of "the Game" or anything that will be sold as a separate product, and then name Squadron 42 as the Singleplayer /Coop , SC as Open Multi, and then Modded Multi.

It's literally detailing that CIG can't sell a second product with the license and including SQ42 under the license of THE GAME......

How are people this stupid?

Edit Disclaimer: I Am Not Nearly A Lawyer.

loving lol if you guys thought that those broken-brained rear end-clowns were going to take one look at the RSI/CIG response, and not find a way to translate it into a victory.

just wait until the Mtd is denied on Feb 9th, thus meaning that Crytek case has merits. I will be laughing so hard.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AngusPodgorny posted:

It won't matter. It's just bullshit. Just like their attempts are re-definition the intent of "exclusive".

It is standard practice to sue the parent in any legal action involving parent, sub etc. They are claiming that RSI is a "subsidiary" of CIG. Well of course. Go to the website right now, and you will find RSI and CIG all over the place.

Only a complete moron would think that a firm like Skadden didn't know all of this, and didn't do their homework.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AngusPodgorny posted:

Normally you'd get an exclusive license to say, sell Whataburgers in Dallas. And then no one else can sell Whataburgers in Dallas. So by extension, this exclusive license to use Crytek's engine in Star Citizen means no one else can use Crytek's engine in Star Citizen.

It's sloppy drafting by someone that probably lifted licensing language from another contract without thinking about whether it made sense here. It's why I don't find any of the interpretations so far particularly satisfying.

Ortwin. He wrote a pamphlet about German IP law 50 years ago, you see. :colbert:

----------------

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

AngusPodgorny posted:

There’s an argument as to whether “exclusive” means that CIG needs to only use Crytek’s engine, or whether only CIG can use Crytek’s engine, and there’s support either way.

Excuse my thickness but what would be the point for a company that earns a living by licensing software to multiple clients to restrict the client list to just one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MedicineHut posted:

I am maybe wrong but I don´t remember Skadden suit docs mentioning unpaid royalties no?

It doesn't. Because no royalties are due under the GLA.

----------------