Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Haifisch posted:

Don't forget the forgotten beasts in the form of giant asses.

As in donkeys.

That's just cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My favorite misunderstanding of this kind was in the one LP where there was this terrifying Cobalt forgotten beast, and the overseer was freaking out about how to deal with it, but then some random dwarf killed it and he realized it was the COLOR Cobalt and not made of the METAL Cobalt.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

a crundle however is exactly that

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Nosfereefer posted:

That's just cruel.
Doesn't stop it from being funny, though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Doesn't stop it from being funny, though.

The last bit nails it

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Cage traps are a stand in for a bunch of trap types. Could be pit traps. Net traps. It ought to be fairly simple to build a pit trap that will capture huge things and nothing else using floor materials that will collapse under X weight -- digging a big hole and covering it is well within the capabilities of first year forts but unfortunately that isn't a construction option. (You can build pit traps involving a pressure plate and retracting bridge, but that's much more complex.)

Boulder traps are weird too. For a while there it seemed like everything could easily dodge the boulder with little or no damage, a whole corridor of them was more likely to skill up the enemy than kill them (don't know if that has changed I haven't tried one in years). How the gently caress do they work anyway? I mean, you can set them outside. Where is the boulder? How does no one notice they are walking under precariously suspended big rocks? They are cheap and simple to build, but you hardly ever see anyone using them these days.

Since weapons take damage now, the weapon traps aren't as good as they used to be either. Is it even worth putting glass disks or obsidian swords in them anymore?

Honestly I think all traps should require a rope as well.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Are war animals broken somehow? I had a pack of 16 war dogs and a war bear pastured outside the entrance to my fort when goblins finally attacked (in retaliation for me raiding them), but the war animals did literally nothing as far as I can tell. They didn't resist or even run away, they just stood still waiting for the goblins to kill them all.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Apoffys posted:

Are war animals broken somehow? I had a pack of 16 war dogs and a war bear pastured outside the entrance to my fort when goblins finally attacked (in retaliation for me raiding them), but the war animals did literally nothing as far as I can tell. They didn't resist or even run away, they just stood still waiting for the goblins to kill them all.

Beasts are mostly kind of helpless against enemies with metal weapons and armor unless they're, like, elephants or better. That's not to say yours weren't broken.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
yeah, war dogs are useless against anything that has metal weapons and armor. They're pretty good against kobolds and mandrills and poo poo though, I always pasture some war dogs outside my fort entrance for that purpose. A few cats pastured outside are also great for discovering ambushes.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I don't mean they were ineffective, I didn't really expect them to do much damage to a goblin army anyway. I mean they literally did nothing. Most of them just stood there without moving, just waiting their turn to be put down by the goblins. A few tried to run away I think, but I didn't see a single line in the combat logs where the dogs even tried to attack a goblin.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Apoffys posted:

I don't mean they were ineffective, I didn't really expect them to do much damage to a goblin army anyway. I mean they literally did nothing. Most of them just stood there without moving, just waiting their turn to be put down by the goblins. A few tried to run away I think, but I didn't see a single line in the combat logs where the dogs even tried to attack a goblin.

Did you assign them to a dwarf?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Apoffys posted:

they were probably sneaking

the game's detection AI is still incredibly, incredibly bad. play a high ambush character in adventure mode sometime and you'll see what i mean.

my preferred adventurer mode archetype is sneaky unarmored birdmen because they're tiny and quiet and you can be the parakeet man with a dozen roc kills in no time

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Future Days posted:

Did you assign them to a dwarf?

No, they were just pastured. I quit via DFHack and tried a couple more times to handle that siege (gently caress dwarven pathfinding very much), and I did eventually see one instance of a dog trying (but failing) to bite a goblin. They may indeed have been sneaking, but I have no idea how to deal with that.

I also lost a couple of dwarves for some rather odd reasons. I had a military dwarf caught outside bringing in lumber when the siege happened, and he moved at about 10% of the speed of a normal dwarf. Even though everyone else had plenty of time to get in, he never made it through the gates before the goblins got him. I savescummed a few times and he behaved the same way each time, both when ordered inside with his squad and when left as a civilian ordered inside by burrow restrictions. He wasn't carrying anything but his normal gear, and he wasn't injured, so I have no idea why he was moving at half the pace of a dwarf carrying a heavy boulder.

I also lost a couple of dwarves because they ignored my orders to station deep inside my fort, and decided to charge the goblin hordes alone...

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

How do I fix visitors/diplomats who come to my fortress and do nothing but hang out in my meeting hall? I switched my expedition leader while a visitor was looking for him to petition for citizenship and it seems to have broken that visitor and all others who come to my fort. Now he and like five other dudes are just hanging out. No petitions. The outpost liaison is also similarly broken.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
iirc, it's normal for the outpost liason to hang out for an alarmingly long time. They'll quietly leave before the next caravan comes, though.

No idea about the others, though. Maybe it'll fix itself once the expedition leader is replaced with a mayor?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Apoffys posted:

I also lost a couple of dwarves because they ignored my orders to station deep inside my fort, and decided to charge the goblin hordes alone...

That always happens. All you can really do is make sure your most valuable skilled dwarfs don't have any jobs enabled that would take them out of the fort, and hope they don't go out there for no drat reason.

As long as your FPS is good, keeping a bunch of animals pastured outside can slow down invaders and give more dwarfs time to get inside. Large animals like horses and oxen last a while. Sometimes fast little things like rabbits or cats can keep goblins chasing them around for minutes. Random animals rarely injure the invaders, but they can make the archers waste all their ammunition.

By the time your FPS is dying and you need to kill all non-essential animals you should have a couple squads with steel armor.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Facebook Aunt posted:

That always happens. All you can really do is make sure your most valuable skilled dwarfs don't have any jobs enabled that would take them out of the fort, and hope they don't go out there for no drat reason.

As long as your FPS is good, keeping a bunch of animals pastured outside can slow down invaders and give more dwarfs time to get inside. Large animals like horses and oxen last a while. Sometimes fast little things like rabbits or cats can keep goblins chasing them around for minutes. Random animals rarely injure the invaders, but they can make the archers waste all their ammunition.

By the time your FPS is dying and you need to kill all non-essential animals you should have a couple squads with steel armor.

Set up a turkey breeding farm. Stick dozens (hundreds?) of them in a single cage outside with a lever connected to it inside.

When the sieges come, pull lever and then send out your squads.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Wasn't there a succession fort that did something like that with wild elephants and tons of cage traps? I seem to remember a scene where the dorfs pulled a lever and a couple of cages opened up to spill dozens of frightened, angry elephants into the invading force.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Apoffys posted:

IIRC there is currently a bug where pastured animals won't fight - if you leave them wandering on their own or assign them to a dwarf they should be fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moridin920 posted:

IIRC there is currently a bug where pastured animals won't fight - if you leave them wandering on their own or assign them to a dwarf they should be fine.

You can deactivate pastures without erasing the zone, then the animals are free. You would need to make sure the doors were closed first though, or they would follow the burrow order.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

literally all i want is to build a zoo fort but it will never be possible until having animals in large quantities doesn't murder FPS

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Jazerus posted:

literally all i want is to build a zoo fort but it will never be possible until having animals in large quantities doesn't murder FPS

tbf, this could apply for literally ANYTHING in df

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jazerus posted:

I mean animals in large quantities doesn't murder FPS any worse than dwarves in large quantities, and probably actually slightly less because (I really hope) the game isn't checking elephants and donkeys to see if they can do dwarf jobs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's just more pathing calculations I think. If you pasture them all that's less of an FPS hit, if you chain them all even less, if you cage them all I don't think it matters if you have 10 in a cage or 100 (watch for grazers though) besides the normal additional items/objects on the map worries.

It's been a while so I can't tell you specifics but to see it in action just cage up all your animals then release them all at once. If you have a bunch your game will slow down just like it does when half the fort rushes to grab the marked trade goods and bring them to the depot, and then even out a bit as the animals settle down but won't get back to where it was. In my forts anyway I guess ymmv.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moridin920 posted:

It's just more pathing calculations I think. If you pasture them all that's less of an FPS hit, if you chain them all even less, if you cage them all I don't think it matters if you have 10 in a cage or 100 (watch for grazers though) besides the normal additional items/objects on the map worries.

Do they keep having emotions in the cages though? Everything has a drat mental state now, and if that isn't in stasis while they are caged they are going to be contributing some load.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

caged animals can still have babies so there's definitely some processing going on

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
For a brief time, I tried breeding rattlesnakes to make a snake pit. It takes a while for their numbers to increase, but they fared well against individual goblins in my tests.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Some animals try to escape their pastures (crundles for one) so there is still random pathing going on. Currently breeding jabberers though by the time I got a male my fps has torpedoed and I might have to cut this fort loose before I can get the train started. I usually try to only have one breeding program going at a time to help with frames.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish we could extract poisons and coat weapons with them. Or slam barrels together at high speeds and mist down poisons on invaders.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Played a couple forts in the current version and idk how much of it is dfhack but everything is a bit too rickety for me rn. I'm constantly troubleshooting something or other, or debating whether the fort is worth continuing despite x suddenly no longer working. Every single thing would be no big deal, but in sum it becomes a grind.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

I wish we could extract poisons and coat weapons with them. Or slam barrels together at high speeds and mist down poisons on invaders.

Yeah there should be poison gas clouds that spread like miasma does.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Anybody else having issues with dwarfs leaving plants strewn about all over? My still has a trail of plants that has been just chillin on the floor for two seasons now. Nobody wants to pick them up and put them back in the food stockpile.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Could be a number of things.

Are you using burrows? Are you on an evil map? Have any forgotten beasts lately? What's listed in your announcements log? (You may need to temporarily change your options to announce all cancellations.) What's the fresh-ness of that food? Has it rotted already?

Burrows can cause problems if the only available barrels are outside of the burrow.

Evil maps and forgotten beasts could somehow coat the items in a syndrome which then causes the dwarf to get sick and cancel the order suddenly.

Your announcements log should have more information. You may also want to look under jobs to see if they're even being allocated.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

0.44.04 is out.

Toady One posted:

This is another bug fix release to start the new year. A few of the bad five-second freeze/lag problems caused by the new release have been fixed, and large beasts should move off the edge of the map again. Over in adventure mode, inappropriate creatures shouldn't yell 'identify yourself' and companions should participate in conflicts as they used to, and some other issues of reputation should be solved, especially among citizens of the starting town.

Major bug fixes
Stopped displayed artifacts from duplicating on retirement/offloading of site
Made attacking giant monsters path to targets properly again
Stopped extraneous dwarf mode conversation text generation (freezes)
Stopped negative artifact location rumors from passing around so much (freezes)
Made removing first stop of hauling route w/ assigned vehicle not cause issues/crashes
Stopped crash caused by yielding to muggers
Stopped creatures from asking for identity when they shouldn't be able to speak
Fixed problem with companions and other close people not always recognizing your relationship to them

Other bug fixes/tweaks
Made returning mercenaries stop petitioning for sanctuary (existing petitions will still be there)
Prevented unirrigated etc. top-left corners etc. from stopping planting in farms
Stopped inaccessible pile tiles from stopping bin/barrel placement throughout pile
Allowed stairs to be carved in ice that is one tile above stone properly
Added building item TSK indicator to ground items as well
Stopped designations for removal of ramps/constructions from working on hidden tiles
Removed incorrect back instruction from burrow naming
Properly saved freeing hf in relevant historical event (Quietust)
Fixed a few cases of historical event for identities reporting wrong historical figure
Fixed kitchen job hotkeys

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

If I dig out a central stair shaft and breach a cavern with it do I need to worry about cave dwellers flying up my shaft?

Like so:

xxx
xxx
xxx
ccc

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah. Use a hatch as things under the hatch can't break it, building destroyer or not.

As far as I know the flying behavior is not supposed to be able to path if they don't also have a ground path due to a bug... but I dunno how that all works out with the new jumping/climbing stuff and I feel like that's bunk anyway because I've definitely had Rocs swoop on me with the gates shut and no ground path available in .34.

From the flying entry on the wiki.

quote:

Due to an apparent bug, flying creatures must be able to path to their target without flying. However when actually moving to the target they will take the most direct route (flying).

But just put a hatch down it's better than worrying about it. Also if a dwarf falls on the stair somehow the hatch might save them from falling an extra bunch of Z levels.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 11, 2018

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I can confirm from interactions with Fun and other menaces that creatures will path to enemy targets via flight even if no clear land route exists; assuming that bug report isn't just outdated, it may be referring to the passive pathing towards your fort that menacing beasts are supposed to do, which DOES seem to be sketchy, but once a hostile unit sees a dwarf all bets are off and they will beeline for them.

Also, incidentally, monster hunters have demonstrably clambered along walls, ceilings, and trees in pursuit of prey; it is REALLY IMPRESSIVE what a unit can accomplish even with 0 climbing skill, though it often leads to hilarity as well. Since any unit not tagged to exclude the ability can climb, climbing should always be a consideration in your fort's defense. Or, at least keep an eye out for it happening, so as not to miss any amusing anecdotes of bloodthirsty units clambering up a six-story wall while half of them fall to their deaths.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Is that solved by putting overhangs, like palisades?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Kommando posted:

Is that solved by putting overhangs, like palisades?

I suppose, yeah. But smoothened or smooth-built (blocks/bricks) walls should be climb-immune already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

So a three story high wall with a smooth finish at the top.