Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Gunder posted:

Does the matchmaker care at all about player skill levels? Quite a few of my games end up being one way stomps.

if you have a close duel you just found a new best friend tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also I just wanted to say, the Christmas shaders look like deep fried rear end.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yes they do. They’re also loving up my drops from chests.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Gunder posted:

Yes they do. They’re also loving up my drops from chests.

I'm hoarding them till that poo poo goes away. (i already got the ushanka for visor lol)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Wish you could sell these terrible shaders like the parts. Really wanma get that DoomII SSG.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Gotta revive a dead thread to say the game is more fun now.

Railing doesn't feel like putting holes through needles as much. Things actually hit.

Sorlag still a tank. People playing Scalebearer more now. Anarki is still good. Galena and BJ are better now.

Game needs more maps and CTF is probably going to include all the sacrifice maps.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I’m really starting to enjoy sacrifice. I think the mode is a lot more fun 3v3, less chaotic.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm gonna dive back into this game for a while, anything new that I should be aware of?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Nailguns are really good now. Hitboxes are pretty amazing now and everyone received a stack increase except Anarki who sucks now. Galena is a much more common pick since they buffed her totems to 100 dmg (ridiculous I know). Be careful of Clutch in sacrifice he can be pretty OP.

Also instagib game mode and a no abilities modifier for custom games out this month.

Edit: On second thought you might not have been gone that long so you’re probably aware of this stuff already. They skipped a February patch so nothing new.

Social Animal fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 3, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Social Animal posted:

Nailguns are really good now. Hitboxes are pretty amazing now and everyone received a stack increase except Anarki who sucks now. Galena is a much more common pick since they buffed her totems to 100 dmg (ridiculous I know). Be careful of Clutch in sacrifice he can be pretty OP.

Also instagib game mode and a no abilities modifier for custom games out this month.

Edit: On second thought you might not have been gone that long so you’re probably aware of this stuff already. They skipped a February patch so nothing new.

I actually wasnt aware of anarki sucking and the nailgun being good so that helps a lot

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Performance is a bit lacklustre when I've been coming back to this, so I followed this guide to help;

http://www.mikemartin.co/gaming_guides/quake_champions#TOC-Dropped-Inconsistent-Frames

You can also force the game to run in high CPU priority every time you launch it by creating a batch file and including this;

code:
start steam://rungameid/611500
@echo Launching Quake Champions
@echo poo poo er Get Off Da Pot
@echo Setting High Priority in [30 seconds]
timeout /t 30 /nobreak
wmic process where name="QuakeChampions.exe" CALL setpriority "high priority"
You can then put that batch file somewhere and then create a shortcut to it to your desktop or wherever, so you can change the icon to something better than the icons for batch files.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
If anyone wants to pubstomp/help me get better at this dumb dead game I'm spiderwisdom

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 6, 2018

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
edit: I'm dumb, quote isn't edit

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 6, 2018

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The latest patch feels a lot better for me in terms of performance, and I'm much happier with the relative speeds of the champions.

From what I can glean from reddit, someone there figured out how all the physics settings interact for the Sabre developers, who can actually tune acceleration in a meaningful way now that someone told them what all their settings mean.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
How is this game doing? I haven't played in months and have been waiting for friends to pick it up when it goes F2P.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

How is this game doing? I haven't played in months and have been waiting for friends to pick it up when it goes F2P.

Population has increased a bit since the April patch. Game is on the right path just needs more champion balancing and CTF hopefully in June. A good team mode is really important since most people didn’t like sacrifice. I can see it going f2p maybe in December? Still too early to tell but I’m feeling positive about the game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They did a dev chat stream the other night about some of the stuff they're working on. To summarize:

• More champ balance tweaking in the works - they want to bring the stats closer together so the abilities are the main difference between characters rather than starting health or whatever.
  • Character rental will be replaced with the ability to just outright buy characters permanently using the free currency, along with a LoL-style "free champion of the week".
  • Levelling up will be made a lot faster, and hopefully there'll be less item duplicates.
  • AI bots are in the works, and will be released in phases. Phase 1 will be able to play DM, TDM and Instagib reasonably competently, but they won't know how to use abilities. Once all the phases are done, offline play might be possible.
  • Tribolt changes in the works, changing from "explodes a short time after hitting something" to "explodes a short time after being fired", so you can pop people with mid air explosions once you get the timing/distance down.
  • Anti-cheat has been silently collecting data since last summer, bans are just now starting.
  • Teammate healthbars are coming.
  • A nice new death screen is coming, focusing the camera on your killer and telling you things about them like their remaining health.
  • Aaaaand a ridiculous new gore system is coming to replace the current Flesh Rugs.
https://twitter.com/Quake/status/992465129563475971

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

The game is more fun than it was before. All the changes they mentioned in the last dev stream are good, especially being able to unlock characters forever with favour. Also the deathcam won't show you your opponent's stack in competitive modes so that's nice. I wish mapmaking tools were in the works but I've accepted that it will probably never happen.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The recent patched have been pretty good. Seeing a lot more players now. Still needs a lot more content like maps in the future and CTF since nobody is playing Sacrafice.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Sacrifice is a neat mode but given how movement based QC is having a stationary area one team camps in kind of negates like half the abilities and passives of champions since so many are based on moving. It’s just not a good QC mode

Also that new gore system is going to make air shots and super shotgun meat shots so much more satisfying

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Jumped into this thing after a long break and played a few DMs. I'm real bead but the game feels really loving good now and even failing at it is fun as gently caress.

It does keep crashing on me though so that is annoying(but hopefully will get fixed in time).

Here have a smooth move from someone that's actually good:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah I’ve been playing other things and I need to get back into strafe jumping out of habit again plus getting back into the hang of Slash’s crouch slide. I loved zipping around bends and making someone each a shotgun blast while grinding on my rad techno skates

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Uncle Kitchener posted:

The recent patched have been pretty good. Seeing a lot more players now. Still needs a lot more content like maps in the future and CTF since nobody is playing Sacrafice.

All I really want is some form of competitive FFA (granted, this isn't exactly trivial). And maybe some training modes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://clips.twitch.tv/ExuberantAgileGoatJKanStyle

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

As someone who last played during the closed beta there have definitely been some performance improvements.

It seems the only gametype that you can find people for is TDM.

Champion balance is fine in pickup games and I've seen every character used.

Randoms still can't time armor or mega or quad. More for me!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.twitch.tv/draqu_ draqu's streaming playing 2v2 tourney

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I thought most of Instagib was gonna consist of Gahennas, Rangers, Nyx and randoms, but people are starting use Strogg for instant kill pew pew lazers.

People picking up Clutch more since he's actually viable now, even if he still is a big target.

Avenging Dentist posted:

All I really want is some form of competitive FFA (granted, this isn't exactly trivial). And maybe some training modes.

I expect the tutorials to be the very last thing to be actually finished or they'll completely forget those.

Tbh, it's better for people to practice on the Quake Live tutorials.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I picked this up on a whim yesterday (played some QL but never got any good). oops I ended up playing like 6 hours of this; I’m having a really good time just farting around in TDM! I also feel like I’m getting a little better at my aim and at trying to stay stacked and not picking bad fights. If any of y’all are still playing this and want to queue up with a terrible player (I’ll do 2v2 too) hit me up!

Also: I’m trying to start learning to rocket jump. If I do it “right”, how much damage should I be taking?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

giogadi posted:

I picked this up on a whim yesterday (played some QL but never got any good). oops I ended up playing like 6 hours of this; I’m having a really good time just farting around in TDM! I also feel like I’m getting a little better at my aim and at trying to stay stacked and not picking bad fights. If any of y’all are still playing this and want to queue up with a terrible player (I’ll do 2v2 too) hit me up!

Also: I’m trying to start learning to rocket jump. If I do it “right”, how much damage should I be taking?

What server you on? I'm getting an upgrade on my network to 60mb, so maybe I can play with east coasters from where I am in UK.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

What server you on? I'm getting an upgrade on my network to 60mb, so maybe I can play with east coasters from where I am in UK.

Ah nuts, I'm on the US west coast.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

I've been playing a lot more lately, game feels way better than it used to. Keel is best.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The only thing keeping me from playing more is the 2+ minutes of downtime between every single match. And locking you out of the scoreboard the second the match ends? Forcing you to stare at player models with goofy cosmetics for 30 seconds, instead? Obligatory pointless level-up screen? It's bafflingly bad. Save that dog poo poo for the inevitable mobile idle game crossover.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but it seems like intentional design meant to encourage people to buy loot crates. Though, the only thing it makes me want to buy is another game that doesn't waste 1/4th of my time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

treat posted:

Forcing you to stare at player models with goofy cosmetics for 30 seconds, instead?
I haven't played in a little bit, but can't you skip this part by just hitting ESC?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

cougar cub posted:

As someone who last played during the closed beta there have definitely been some performance improvements.

It seems the only gametype that you can find people for is TDM.

Champion balance is fine in pickup games and I've seen every character used.

Randoms still can't time armor or mega or quad. More for me!

I admit I struggle with this to the point where I want to have a timer screen overlay macro I can activate for each but pubbies seem to ignore all of them most the time, even when the announcer says quad is spawning soon or has spawned. I’ll die my way there, hear it’s spawned announced, take a few seconds to get there and it’s still sitting there with no one around :psyduck:

evilfunkyogi
Jun 27, 2005
:effort:

The Kins posted:

I haven't played in a little bit, but can't you skip this part by just hitting ESC?

You can, and I'm pretty sure you can do the same to skip through the experience / rewards screen as well. It's still dumb that the game kicks you back to the menu to re-queue though.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

The downtime is easily the worst part of the game, it should dump everyone in the map voting screen when the match is over. Better yet just put everyone in warm up mode for 30 seconds while a vote comes up on the side of the screen. Press F1 and F2 to pick the map.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

The queue times haven't been bad at all for me recently after the upswing from the last patch, but I still tab out while it searches to browse the internet until I hear the match ready sound. When they get bots in the game it'd be great if they just threw you in a botmatch during matchmaking to warm up.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Wait times for duel are still brutal. Thinking about joining the QC open league but have been struggling to even get to the ten placement matches. Can take 15-20 minutes to find a game in NA.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

add me* (same name)

i'm really bad though

*same goes for any other filthy euros playing this (good) dead gay game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

cougar cub posted:

Wait times for duel are still brutal. Thinking about joining the QC open league but have been struggling to even get to the ten placement matches. Can take 15-20 minutes to find a game in NA.

Oh yeah duel is always gonna be the realm of the most hardcore. I don't think their round based and pick system has worked at opening it up to new players, it's still too intimidating to go 1v1 vs seasoned quake players. I wonder if they'll just revert to classic duel to satisfy the people who play it.