Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

MedicineHut posted:

Excuse my thickness but what would be the point for a company that earns a living by licensing software to multiple clients to restrict the client list to just one?

AngusPodgorny posted:

Normally you'd get an exclusive license to say, sell Whataburgers in Dallas. And then no one else can sell Whataburgers in Dallas. So by extension, this exclusive license to use Crytek's engine in Star Citizen means no one else can use Crytek's engine in Star Citizen.

It's sloppy drafting by someone that probably lifted licensing language from another contract without thinking about whether it made sense here. It's why I don't find any of the interpretations so far particularly satisfying.

(bolding mine)

this is what it would traditionally mean, and a good explanation by lawgoon Angus here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

D_Smart posted:

It doesn't. Because no royalties are due under the GLA.

Precisely, which means CryTek / Skadden are going after different types of damages.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG's legal strategy

Crytek's legal strategy

This post gave me great laughter. Thank you.

:five::five::five:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SoftNum posted:

(bolding mine)

"Normally you'd get an exclusive license to say, sell Whataburgers in Dallas. And then no one else can sell Whataburgers in Dallas. So by extension, this exclusive license to use Crytek's engine in Star Citizen means no one else can use Crytek's engine in Star Citizen.

It's sloppy drafting by someone that probably lifted licensing language from another contract without thinking about whether it made sense here. It's why I don't find any of the interpretations so far particularly satisfying."

this is what it would traditionally mean, and a good explanation by lawgoon Angus here.

I think I get that. The point is who else, other than the Star Citizen IP holder, would be able to use CryEngine (or any other engine for that matter) in Star Citizen?

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 6, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

D_Smart posted:

loving lol if you guys thought that those broken-brained rear end-clowns were going to take one look at the RSI/CIG response, and not find a way to translate it into a victory.

just wait until the Mtd is denied on Feb 9th, thus meaning that Crytek case has merits. I will be laughing so hard.

By Feb 9th there will be a whole lot more to laugh at than just this case.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Dusty Lens posted:

I keep reading through all of these documents and I haven't seen poo poo about a shirts vs skins beach volleyball game to decide the fate of the old boathouse and CIG et all.

They are waiting for Lesnick to coming bursting out at the last second, telling them he is giving up his dream of cheersquad lead, rip off his shirt and yell "game on!"

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 6, 2018

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

TheAgent posted:

btw here's may layman response to the lawsuit thing

skadden: wow even an idiot like me can see exactly what they are going after. holy smokes
FKKS: what the gently caress, why are you, what the gently caress are you talking about lol

This is the most useful breakdown I've read so far

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ticklee in gold?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

monkeytek posted:

They are waiting for Lesnick to coming bursting out at the last second, telling them he is giving up his dream of cheersquad lead, rip of his shirt and yell "game on!"

Aye, the bursting gallbladder defense.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Live Leonard French discussion of response here.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG's legal strategy

Crytek's legal strategy

Hmm

*smokes massive bowl*

:same:

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:allears:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Loxbourne posted:

Now both parties have filed their statements of case, we're firmly into the territory of "will this argument fly with a court?". That's subjective and dependant entirely on the judge and jury's own reactions on the day. We can comment on the evidence, caselaw, etc (and I think there's plenty of scope for a good effortpost or three about the caselaw FFKS are citing on the meaning of "exclusive"), but we are not qualified to say which argument is likely to win. Even if we were, every lawyer's seen a totally bullshit argument unexpectedly work, or an ironclad one fail.

We should also laugh because this clearly cedes any moral high ground on CIG's part. They clearly know that the exclusivity thing is bullshit. This filing is tantamount to them stating "Yes we hosed CryTek over but we would very much like to escape on a technicality."

Once again, by their own behavior they directly contradict their words and their self-billing as this paragon of transparency.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Holy poo poo guys star citizen is go... goo... gently caress i cant say it. Star citizen is bad.

Also one of my co workers hates me now because any time i see him i say Derek Smart. Hes a backer, relatively small backer though at 120 bux.

I miss my old whale backer coworker...

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

gosh darn

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNJgrqQlim8

Leo French, the copyright lawyer is doing a live read of the thing now.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLvZfrXPchg&t=188s
Question: "What, in your words, has been the hardest part of making your vision of the game a reality?"
2014 Chris: "It's a little early to answer that question"

Still as true as ever, lol.

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009
Wow the commandos are melting down in real time in that stream once derek weighed in

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

French's finished reading and is trying to sum it up.

Nope, he's reading a different thing now.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 6, 2018

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
parp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Sy6oiJbEk

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I dunno. Not a lawyer or anything, but this GLA seems really badly written. Not a great sign for Crytek's case.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/949717138360717315

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol, this is so pathetic

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNJgrqQlim8

Leo French, the copyright lawyer is doing a live read of the thing now.

If you want to study "this is what I believe so this is what I see" in real time it's a good chat.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Hah, love that he mentions having a ticket open because he can't run SC.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
Ugh, that Leonard guy is soooo terrible to watch.

I mean, kudos to him for admitting he's a backer in the first video, but he skims the poo poo out of that response and highlights things he thinks are favorable to CIG.

He completely negates to touch on any portion of the GLA that shows Squadron 42 and Star Citizen were the same product, etc etc etc.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CIG's paper 'looks compelling'

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009
oh wait this guy is a commando? pffffff he almost had me going for a second

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can’t watch the lawyer dude but what does he say? Anything good?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That no damages clause does seem weird though. Is that maybe why the amended complaint added intentionally to everything?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

I was really taken aback at the degree of seething hatred that they have for some of you.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

CIG's paper 'looks compelling'

His follow up videos are going to be hilarious.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

hardycore posted:

oh wait this guy is a commando? pffffff he almost had me going for a second

Yeah, the first video he did of the original complaint, I kind of wrote him off as "oh, he's new to Star Citizen, so there's just a lot of history and context he doesn't get"

Then with this one he skims the gently caress out of the GLA and cherry picked the poo poo out of those documents (something he said earlier in the stream made it sound like he's read it all already, so that may be why).

The fact that he's a copyright lawyer (is that right?) and doesn't bother to go over the GLA in it's entirety , or the entire bottom section that outlines Squadron 42 and Star Citizen as the same game, shows either;

1. He's absolutely loving terrible at picking portions of a document to skip over

2. He knew that section was there and chose to skip it so he could drop his dank "If I was judge judy I would rule for crytek, oops I meant CIG" line

3. He knew that section was there and he's a die hard CIG believer and didn't want to shatter the Reddit Armchair Lawyers ability to argue Space Law on the Subreddit for the next month.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MedicineHut posted:

poo poo. She´s blind. We´re hosed.

And she sat down, we sat down, Obie looked at the seeing-eye dog. And began to cry because he realised that it was a typical case of American Blind Justice and there was nothing he could do about it. And the judge wasn't going to look at the 27 8x10" coloured glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Let's get some predictions on how many words Derek will type about how wrong that lawyer dude is.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:negative:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

Maybe Skadden should open a Patreon account so they can be at the same level with this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Let's get some predictions on how many words Derek will type about how wrong that lawyer dude is.
I'm in for at least 200.