Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

LogisticEarth posted:

I mean, what's done is done and honestly the risk is small and I wouldn't lose sleep over it. But for anyone planning a job, it's still worth thinking about.
Absolutely agree. That's why I'm still going to get quotes for the low ceiling areas. The popcorn on the vaulted and high ceiling parts is staying because it's expensive enough to get someone to come in with the scaffolding to take it all down, let alone deal with asbestos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

* I still have a place to live, at least for a week and a half
* I can always move my things in and stay with a friend or in a hotel, if necessary

Once you have homeowners insurance involved, if your house is uninhabitable (which they will have a definition of, think no heat/running water, not "gee hammers are loud") they will find you accommodation. Be friendly and reasonable with your adjuster and they will bend over backwards for you. It's not adversarial until they make it that way. Friends of ours are going through this and their adjuster has been great with them. The harder part is going to be getting your mortgage processor to actually endorse the loving checks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

H110Hawk posted:

Once you have homeowners insurance involved, if your house is uninhabitable (which they will have a definition of, think no heat/running water, not "gee hammers are loud") they will find you accommodation. Be friendly and reasonable with your adjuster and they will bend over backwards for you. It's not adversarial until they make it that way. Friends of ours are going through this and their adjuster has been great with them. The harder part is going to be getting your mortgage processor to actually endorse the loving checks.

I just talked to the adjuster this morning and will meet with him on Monday. Gotta try to get a general contractor to meet with us then, as well. And yeah, I'm all about being nice until I don't have to be, because nobody likes to help someone who's an rear end.

Adjuster also said we didn't have to contact the mortgage company until the repairs hit 25k - hoping they don't. I don't think they should, but you never know.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm enjoying this season on This Old House where they keep mentioning a "tight budget" on a project that includes a completely new kitchen including a six foot bump out, a new front porch, building a whole new master suite on the second story including custom tiles in the bathroom, oh and a huge new garage with a whole apartment. That has to be $250k.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

I'm enjoying this season on This Old House where they keep mentioning a "tight budget" on a project that includes a completely new kitchen including a six foot bump out, a new front porch, building a whole new master suite on the second story including custom tiles in the bathroom, oh and a huge new garage with a whole apartment. That has to be $250k.

Tight isn't about size: it's about elasticity. Sounds like that homeowner is renoing themselves into the poor house and has no wiggle room.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Every HGTV show is “The 24 year old husband has a part time job collecting house spiders and the 23 year old wife does an hour a week of substitute teaching. Their budget is only $800,000 so we have to make this work!”

Just once I’d like to see the Property Brothers do some work for poor people instead of trust fund babies.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Tight isn't about size: it's about elasticity. Sounds like that homeowner is renoing themselves into the poor house and has no wiggle room.

That's what it sounds like, sure, but realistically they only make the budget sound tight in order to increase drama.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's what it sounds like, sure, but realistically they only make the budget sound tight in order to increase drama.

TOH isn't really about drama like that, but they were definitely playing it up as more of a limited budget than inflexible.

Which, to be fair, it is a pretty limited renovation compared to what they normally do on that show.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Every HGTV show is “The 24 year old husband has a part time job collecting house spiders and the 23 year old wife does an hour a week of substitute teaching. Their budget is only $800,000 so we have to make this work!”

Just once I’d like to see the Property Brothers do some work for poor people instead of trust fund babies.

The last episode I saw was somewhere near Atlanta. Home prices were reasonable as was the budget, less than $200k total iirc. Who knows how much of the prices they give are real, though.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

The last episode I saw was somewhere near Atlanta. Home prices were reasonable as was the budget, less than $200k total iirc. Who knows how much of the prices they give are real, though.

IIRC most of the episodes are either in the Atlanta area or Vancouver, you can till which based on the home prices.

This all reminds me of an episode of Love It or List It where the couple had like, a totally tight budget, this is our max. Then, part way through, they have a shot of the husband sneaking off to hand the lady a check to up the budget to the tune of, what i assume was, in the tens of thousands. Then winking and saying "it's an anniversary present for my wife!"

Like, I assume this was discussed becuase if not, my wife would murder me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Higgy posted:

Like, I assume this was discussed becuase if not, my wife would murder me.

Spoiler: all the storylines are fake as hell

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

Spoiler: all the storylines are fake as hell

oh no my immersion

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I still laugh about our friends being on House Hunters because they filmed it a good 4-5 months after they bought their house.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

One or two seasons ago TOH did a restoration of a reclaimed vacant in a Detroit suburb that was really good.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Goddamnit I finally figure out an open fire and I have zero chestnuts on hand

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hubis posted:

One or two seasons ago TOH did a restoration of a reclaimed vacant in a Detroit suburb that was really good.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I might have to go track that down.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

uwaeve posted:

Goddamnit I finally figure out an open fire and I have zero chestnuts on hand

God DAMMIT. do_never_buy.jpg

Sorry dude.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Turns out putting in floating flooring is super easy, but insanely time consuming, and I want to burn the house down every time I mess up a piece because i just wasted a couple minutes and threw a few dollars down the drain.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You ever feel really dumb finding out the regulator on your propane grill has an over-pressure limit switch inside it? I did tonight after finally getting around to figuring out why my grill was barely getting warm, let alone hot. Turns out it exists, has no external indicator, and the tripped state is a minimum flow, not shut off. :downs:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The loose fill insulation in our roof probably isn’t asbestos(waiting for lab tests) :toot:

The manhole cover and the waves probably are, but they’re in good condition so I don’t think we will bother replacing them at this stage.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

The loose fill insulation in our roof probably isn’t asbestos(waiting for lab tests) :toot:

Maybe I've failed to find your previous posts on the subject, but I don't understand.

If the roof had possible asbestos (generally vermiculite), then your inspector should have raised a major flag, and you would have asked for tests as a condition of the sale, or even straight up ask the owner to pay for the removal. Otherwise, then testing for asbestos is pretty much useless (That's the standard approach in Canada at least). How did you wind up in that situation?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Aramis posted:

Maybe I've failed to find your previous posts on the subject, but I don't understand.

If the roof had possible asbestos (generally vermiculite), then your inspector should have raised a major flag, and you would have asked for tests as a condition of the sale, or even straight up ask the owner to pay for the removal. Otherwise, then testing for asbestos is pretty much useless (That's the standard approach in Canada at least). How did you wind up in that situation?

In much of Australia it's pretty much a given that asbestos is going to be present in a house built from the war up til sometime in the 80s and you take precautions accordingly. We hadn't caught that some sections of the insulation were loose fill (most of it's panels), and while there was very little use of asbestos as loose fill in the state we're in (Victoria, more common in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory) from, we decided it was worth checking out just in case. The man hole cover is likely asbestos (again, waiting on sampling) and the eaves similar, but they're in good condition so don't need immediate action, just sensible precautions. We should have been more dilligent with the pre-purchase checking, so we did get lucky on that front as loose-fill asbestos would have stopped us from buying (or required a vendor cleanup).

The main problem with the Australian attitude to asbestos in my opinion is with the popularity of home renovation shows. It gives people the idea that they can just grab a sledgehammer and start knocking down some walls and never really show that there are precautions you should take. It's really not a good attitude to promote given how many houses here up for renovation will have asbestos panels through them which are fine up until the point you break through them with a hammer.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 8, 2018

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

The main problem with the Australian attitude to asbestos in my opinion is with the popularity of home renovation shows. It gives people the idea that they can just grab a sledgehammer and start knocking down some walls and never really show that there are precautions you should take. It's really not a good attitude to promote given how many houses here up for renovation will have asbestos panels through them which are fine up until the point you break through them with a hammer.

:stonk: And here I am, staring at my 1977 popcorn ceiling thinking "Eh! it doesn't look THAT bad" in order to indefinitely delay testing it because I dread the work involved if the test ends up being positive.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Aramis posted:

:stonk: And here I am, staring at my 1977 popcorn ceiling thinking "Eh! it doesn't look THAT bad" in order to indefinitely delay testing it because I dread the work involved if the test ends up being positive.

Yeah, they're referred to here as the third wave of asbestos victims. The first wave being the people that mined it, and the second being tradespeople that worked with it (although there are some issues with this classification, as it can downplay the people who were exposed second hand through a family members job, often women who did all the washing of clothes caked in the poo poo, but also children who were exposed just by what got brought home each night).

It's weird, because the whole "one fibre can kill you" campaign got a lot of penetration here (arguably too much, as it has lead to a level of paranoia which outstrips the realistic risks, given the background exposure you can get just walking around a suburb with decaying 40 year old exterior asbestos based stuff), but you still have dickheads who will go in with the sledgehammer and only start thinking once they've noticed the nice blue material they've just knocked themselves a lungfull of.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

https://youtu.be/zUaP1MpzH9s

And the full video if you want to see 14 minutes of future asbestosis victims set to jaunty 1960s music.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 8, 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Yeah, I know multiple people in their 60s or so who played in asbestos dust and broke clumps of it as kids.

The main company who manufactured it knew about its harmfullness long before it actually decided to stop making the stuff, and then hosed off to the Netherlands to avoid liability.

The second biggest manufacturer here had our current Foreign Minister as one of their solicitors, and she helped them pursue a policy of stalling litigation until the claimants were dead.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Is this the best place to ask for a recommendation on a good shop vac?

I bought a cheap wet dry vacuum years ago but even with the rubber band filter securely on it still throws a lot of dust in the air. I have a decent-size space, two garage doors plus shop area equal to one more.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sweet_jones posted:

I bought a cheap wet dry vacuum years ago but even with the rubber band filter securely on it still throws a lot of dust in the air. I have a decent-size space, two garage doors plus shop area equal to one more.

What are you sucking up, and is it finer than the filtration on your vac? My regular Shop-Vac fitted with a hepa filter and bag yields extremely little dust on the exhaust port while sucking up plaster dust.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

sweet_jones posted:

The home depot ridgid one seems universally well-liked and is dirt cheap.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

What are you sucking up, and is it finer than the filtration on your vac? My regular Shop-Vac fitted with a hepa filter and bag yields extremely little dust on the exhaust port while sucking up plaster dust.

My cheap vac has filters on the outside that are secured with rubber bands, more or less. Floor dust goes flying when I use it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sweet_jones posted:

My cheap vac has filters on the outside that are secured with rubber bands, more or less. Floor dust goes flying when I use it.

This might seem like a silly question, but have you tried a better filter? You don't need to get a HEPA one, but heck could you jam a vacuum cleaner bag onto the outlet?

Would this fit on your inlet? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002ND4I/

This is the filter I have, in conjunction with that bag: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006W4WJFC/ which is way overkill unless you're sucking up ultrafine breathing hazards. This is the vac I have, it is great except I bought that stupid cart thing, which defeats the purpose of the casters. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B014LSPYY8/ Don't be dumb like me, get one on casters.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 9, 2018

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

gvibes posted:

Seconding this.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I own a house for less then a month and now I had to wake up to a bat in my master bedroom. Got the sucker out fairly fast but now I just pray a whole colony is not up there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Do you know how the bat got in? That's the big concern. Well, that and the rabies.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
What's the process like for replacing only a part of a damaged wood floor? My current door has terrible weather stripping and when it rains water has gotten in to destroy the ends of about ~7 boards that butt up to the threshold. I won't be DIYing but am curious what to expect from a contractor in terms of labor intensity. I also have no idea if it's true wood or laminate, or the name/brand of the color because it was part of the house when I moved in. Feeling kinda stuck at square 1 here.

I won't be doing anything until Lowe's comes back with my proper left-swing door to install... which should be tomorrow if I am to believe their 3 week estimate (I don't)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BexGu posted:

I own a house for less then a month and now I had to wake up to a bat in my master bedroom. Got the sucker out fairly fast but now I just pray a whole colony is not up there.

You're supposed to go get a rabies shot if you wake up in a room with a bat.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

gvibes posted:

I have one of these and the clip holding the top onto the basin broke pretty fast. Looks like the current ones might have redesigned clips, though. I haven't looked into warranty replacement or anything, just ratchet strap the two pieces together.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Do you know how the bat got in? That's the big concern. Well, that and the rabies.

Kind of. There was a small crack between the cover to the attic and the the walk in closet. Its warmer in the walk then the attic and the bat must of crawled in and then starting flying around waking us up. Luckily I was able to catch him by throwing a towel + waste basket so I never got near/touched the bat at all. Northern Virginia just got done with a massive cold snap that lasted a week so a bunch of vermin are desperate to get into any houses.

Having some one in to inspect the attic for entrance points and clean it tomorrow so hopefully it just a one time thing. Just annoying to have this happen after finding out the estimate to stain our floors was wrong and is going to cost like $800 more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

drat Bananas posted:

What's the process like for replacing only a part of a damaged wood floor? My current door has terrible weather stripping and when it rains water has gotten in to destroy the ends of about ~7 boards that butt up to the threshold. I won't be DIYing but am curious what to expect from a contractor in terms of labor intensity. I also have no idea if it's true wood or laminate, or the name/brand of the color because it was part of the house when I moved in. Feeling kinda stuck at square 1 here.

I won't be doing anything until Lowe's comes back with my proper left-swing door to install... which should be tomorrow if I am to believe their 3 week estimate (I don't)

Generally, a skilled flooring company should be able to either refinish or replace/blend in something like that. If you want a fully homogeneous floor, it might be worth refinishing the whole shebang.

If it's laminate, then you're SOL and probably have to replace everything to keep it uniform. If it's engineered, it might be refinishable, but replacing it as a patch might be tricky.