Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

I was really taken aback at the degree of seething hatred that they have for some of you.

that chatroll was hilarious lol

e: taxxe of Kayak being a good boy and helping me carry my purchases around Lowes last night

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FailureToReport posted:

Ugh, that Leonard guy is soooo terrible to watch.

I mean, kudos to him for admitting he's a backer in the first video, but he skims the poo poo out of that response and highlights things he thinks are favorable to CIG.

He completely negates to touch on any portion of the GLA that shows Squadron 42 and Star Citizen were the same product, etc etc etc.

Yeah. That's why I called him out on it. And he responded.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hey Derek - was that stream guy, Leonard, the guy who wrote you an open letter a couple years back saying please stop spreading FUD? Also I liked his hat.

Dusty Lens posted:

I was really taken aback at the degree of seething hatred that they have for some of you.

Why? We know how invested these people are. The venom came as no suprise to me anyways.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Lol, a shitizen in the stream was adamant that Witcher 3 started development in 2009 despite Witcher 2 not releasing until 2011 and the developers themselves saying development started in 2011. Facts mean nothing to these people.

PrimeNerd
Dec 17, 2016

thatguy posted:

Let's get some predictions on how many words Derek will type about how wrong that lawyer dude is.

At least 3 July Blogs worth.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Galarox posted:

Hey Derek - was that stream guy, Leonard, the guy who wrote you an open letter a couple years back saying please stop spreading FUD? Also I liked his hat.

Why? We know how invested these people are. The venom came as no suprise to me anyways.

No. That was the Guard Frequency guy. They later invited me on their channel. :grin:

----------------

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I'm still in holidays mode and have just returned from a feast of food, sweats and a festive alcoholic drink with PINEAPPLES so I'm not sure exactly what goes on with SC nor I care much to catch up with everything.

I still get the feeling it's either hilarious or it's going to be.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

thatguy posted:

Let's get some predictions on how many words Derek will type about how wrong that lawyer dude is.

thatguy posted:

I'm in for at least 200.

Wrong by an order of magnitude... at least 2,000 to 20,000 :bravo2:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

AbstractNapper posted:

I'm still in holidays mode and have just returned from a feast of food, sweats and a festive alcoholic drink with PINEAPPLES so I'm not sure exactly what goes on with SC nor I care much to catch up with everything.

This lawsuit is like going to a wrestling match that you've been waiting all year to see but then you find out that someone might be parachuting a bear into the ring so now you're ultra hyped but if it doesn't work out you still get your original fun.

It is exactly like that.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Galarox posted:

Wrong by an order of magnitude... at least 2,000 to 20,000 :bravo2:

I'm going for the wildcard and guessing pasting a bunch of tweets.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

No. That was the Guard Frequency guy. They later invited me on their channel. :grin:

Did you go on it? If so do you have a link?

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm going for the wildcard and guessing pasting a bunch of tweets.

Hmmm. You, on the balance of probabilities, and after careful consideration, are almost certainly correct :)

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

What does a feast of sweats involve? Rubbing?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Galarox posted:

I live in a fantasy world where opinions on litigation between videogame companies doesn't involve the ardent desire to stab someone in the eye.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
If any of you guys get upset if Crytek loses then you're playing the game wrong.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Galarox posted:

Did you go on it? If so do you have a link?

http://guardfrequency.com/121

----------------

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. That's why I called him out on it. And he responded.

Did he respond? What did he say? I left after he finished and pronounced that CryTek would be the winner when meaning to say CIG..

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

If any of you guys get upset if Crytek loses then you're playing the game wrong.
I'm only going to be upset if this doesn't go to an actual courtroom

because I will sit in on this poo poo for reals lol

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

AngusPodgorny posted:

I'm going to take the minority view and say some of the arguments are at least colorable (not going to disagree on the writing, which is crap):

There’s an argument as to whether “exclusive” means that CIG needs to only use Crytek’s engine, or whether only CIG can use Crytek’s engine, and there’s support either way.

How do you even start to debate that "Only CIG can use Crytek's engine" ? Crytek's in the business of licensing their tech to lots of third-parties, does it make sense that they'd give an exclusive right to CIG at the expense of all their other customers ? For 2 million dollars only ? When they sold the engine + sub-licensing right to Amazon for $60M+ ? Which wouldn't even be legal in the first place according to CIG if only them had the exclusive right to use Cryengine, not Amazon ? In fact, if CIG is right, then the engine they switched to, Lumberyard, has been illegally acquired..

Seriously, how does that argument even make sense ?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"god who wrote this GLA, fuckin dumb rear end crytek lol"

"I thought ortwin wrote it..."

"oh, I mean, yeah he probably had some dumb intern do it, no one really reads this things"

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw5N3ivfkds&t=1331s
2015 Chris: "So, what happens right now is when the game starts up it just looks up what you have on your web account, your RSI account, and says, 'oh he's got the Hornet and the Constellation and he's got this item' so it adds it to your account. But it's not particularly persistent, you change what you're wearing or change your load out, that's really not saved back to the database. We save it locally on a local XML file but that's a really short term solution. The real proper solution is changes to your state, changes to your ship, whatever. Whether it's getting old, dirty or broken, they get saved back out to your entry in the player database"

lol. In my experience, short term solutions that get rolled out to 1000+ customers generally work 'good enough' and rarely get properly replaced. I'm sure someone could work up a short list of all the persistent stuff that works today and it would all work off the same short term solution they talked about in 2015.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

TheAgent posted:

"god who wrote this GLA, fuckin dumb rear end crytek lol"

"I thought ortwin wrote it..."

"oh, I mean, yeah he probably had some dumb intern do it, no one really reads this things"

Why is Cryengine even involved in Star Citizen. They're poo poo and everything they've ever done is poo poo. Why do you think they're going out of business? CIG was smart to ditch them.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

TheAgent posted:

I'm only going to be upset if this doesn't go to an actual courtroom

:same:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
like really I'll drive up to the LA courthouse and find the fuckin right courtroom and sit in there and draw pictures and do a live blog of whatever the gently caress is going on in there

if crytek and CIG deny me this, I will be pissed eternally

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Nyast posted:

How do you even start to debate that "Only CIG can use Crytek's engine" ? Crytek's in the business of licensing their tech to lots of third-parties, does it make sense that they'd give an exclusive right to CIG at the expense of all their other customers ? For 2 million dollars only ? When they sold the engine + sub-licensing right to Amazon for $60M+ ? Which wouldn't even be legal in the first place according to CIG if only them had the exclusive right to use Cryengine, not Amazon ? In fact, if CIG is right, then the engine they switched to, Lumberyard, has been illegally acquired..

Because: Day is night, night is day, black is white, white is black and... Star Citizen is Good. (Commando thinking)

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Codezombie posted:

CIG will eventually resort to using the Sovereign Star Citizen defense. Calling it now.

:five: :five: :five: :five: :five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nyast posted:

It doesn't. Let's move on because that's one of the main reasons why I think Ortwin drafted a good portion of this bullshit response. That's the sort of poo poo he would write, if you are familiar with this legal ramblings.

----------------

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Astropub seems a bit salty about the new schedule.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

act now on this rare opportunity to give us 350 bucks for nothing.

"Chris Roberts fell off of his bicycle an hour ago and broke his wrist. We are sorry but he could not attend"

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Nyast posted:

I have been questioning my own sanity in failing to see any viewpoint but the one you present. The previous Dallas/Whataburger/Exclusive conversation was melting my brain. If we correct the terms I would think it obvious that:
CryTek(CryEngine) = Whataburger
Dallas = CIG/RSI
Exclusive = tane

The earlier comparison fails because it assumes an unnamed agent seller, and exclusive right holder, in Dallas. In this case Dallas is CIG/RSI, and the earlier comparison fails to appreciate the the logical conclusion of that argument (once corrected) would mean that once Dallas has exclusive right to Whataburger no other city may sell Whataburger. This would be so obviously detrimental to Whataburger as to be wholly inconceivable.

I could be missing something here, and I am all for the devils advocate, but why even pretend that the term exclusive is debatable. There is no scenario one could imagine where the practical reality of CIG's interpretation is remotely reasonable.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

D_Smart posted:

It doesn't. Let's move on because that's one of the main reasons why I think Ortwin drafted a good portion of this bullshit response. That's the sort of poo poo he would write, if you are familiar with this legal ramblings.

No, but seriously, there's so much potential for lolz that I almost want that to be true.

CIG defenders: "yeah we've got an exclusive right to use Cryengine"

Judge: "if you did, why did you never attack any of the Cryengine licensees in the past 5 years" ?

Amazon: "Actually Mr. Judge, we'd like to side up with Crytek on that matter. Otherwise our newly acquired Lumberyard engine is illegal".

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Beet Wagon posted:

LOL they are still going to miss every deadline on that hacked up schedule

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Nyast posted:

So either Crytek win, and CIG are hosed, or CIG win, and both CIG and Amazon lose their engine?

Don't worry Citizens, Bezos is gonna come save CIG.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
How is Crytek supposed to prove to the court SQ42 was ever built in the CryEngine? Do they have to compel CIG to bring a computer to court and compile the code right in front of the jurors?
Or can Crytek provide evidence from prior marketing materials or web content from CIG that SQ42 existed and was using Crytek assets prior to the alleged Lumberyard switchover?

CIG could say, "We don't have any materials prior to X date since we didn't start building SQ42 until we started to use Lumberyard". I don't know how you would refute that except by compelling CIG to bring in their source code management system or have it examined by the plaintiffs, and CIG could have already wiped or hidden SQ42 development evidence by then.

EDIT: Hmm, I wonder if Crytek has an emails or other exchanges with CIG prior to the Lumberyard switchover that would prove SQ42 was in development with the Crytek engine before then. Perhaps CIG emailed CryTek some SQ42 code they were having issues with.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 6, 2018

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Maybe he didn't warn his friends that the plan for 2018 was to bring 2017's release to the point promised by the end of 2016.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

nnnotime posted:

How is Crytek supposed to prove to the court SQ42 was ever built in the CryEngine? Do they have to compel CIG to bring a computer to court and compile the code right in front of the jurors?
Or can Crytek provide evidence from prior marketing materials or web content from CIG that SQ42 existed and was using Crytek assets prior to the alleged Lumberyard switchover?

CIG could say, "We don't have any materials prior to X date since we didn't start building SQ42 until we started to use Lumberyard". I don't know how you would refute that except by compelling CIG to bring in their source code management system or have it examined by the plaintiffs, and CIG could have already wiped or hidden SQ42 development evidence by then.

Independent forensics. It's trivial and happens all the time.

----------------

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Whoever this guy is, is right. I was up all night crying into my pillow over this. :(

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

It's funny because mining, repairing and salvaging should be so easy to do, but they're going to screw it up with immersion animations and bad UI.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Aesaar posted:

So either Crytek win, and CIG are hosed, or CIG win, and both CIG and Amazon lose their engine?

Don't worry Citizens, Bezos is gonna come save CIG.

Well, that's if they argue that "only us in the entire world have the rights to use Cryengine no matter the product". Which is completely stupid.

Instead they're arguing that "only us in the entire world have the rights to use Cryengine [for Star citizen]". Which is equally stupid, but in a different way. Since they own the IP of SC in the first place. That line shouldn't even exist in the first place in that case, since it's standard copyright protection to say that nobody else can do anything with the product you own.

So I'm at a loss, I'm not sure which one they're arguing, both make no sense to me. Only Crytek's version kind of makes sense, even if I agree it seems to lack a more explicit clause in the "restrictions" chapter. But at least it makes some sense. CIG arguments do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

G0RF posted:

If no Switcheroo, the refund’s due?