Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Beastmaster tank. All their cooldowns involve calling in an animal to take the hit for you which then explodes in blood. A squirrel for a low level cooldown and an elephant or mammoth for your level 50 skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
So like, why do people want dancer so bad? Blu makes sense because it's friggin awesome but what's so great about dancer

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ArtIsResistance posted:

So like, why do people want dancer so bad? Blu makes sense because it's friggin awesome but what's so great about dancer

I found it really fun in XI and I would love to see what the XIV team's take on it would be and also samba outfits would own.

Granted the latter could happen anyway, but.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ArtIsResistance posted:

For me just because they'd look cool, and hypothetically add more support dps options, and they're fairly high up on the FF jobs list. I hate the concept of a melee healer though.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Is it really so strange to want your character to move like Fred Astaire?

e: or Ginger Rogers?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Brainamp posted:

Is it really so strange to want your character to move like Fred Astaire?

e: or Ginger Rogers?

Crispin Glover

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The merchant from RO.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

ArtIsResistance posted:

It's stylish af? (Well could be).

I want dancer, blue mage, and chemist. Tank tank healer. No DPS! :unsmigghh:

And no I don't want and evasion tank. Just give them a mitigation buff/stance/dance and call it a day.

No idea how they'd handle the gear issues for both dnc and blu though. Since all current tank stuff is explicitly plate. Some passive to make dow/dom gear give more armor and vit or something. But will be a hurdle.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Poor vath deftarm is experiencing hella culture shock. Though i guess any sane person would look at what you have to put up with around the moogles and the vanu and say "gently caress that, i'm out".

Aw poo poo, the masked adventurer wears the same mask i do! :aaa:

... Awkward

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Mime would be cool as heck if they did it right.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I wanna see geomancer. Like, I know WHM lore is pretty close to that, but I want a smellier hippie version, a proper druid guy. Let me dress up in goat fur, ring my bell, and fight people with, like, earthquakes, vines and tidal waves. Damit, that's WHM, isn't it.
A feng shui nerd? Whatever. The bell and goat furs are the important part.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't think anything can top the Power Rangers finale of the original beast tribes, but the HW tribe finale is also pretty drat fantastic so far. That dance. :allears:

Sorry if i'm interrupting class chat, i don't have anyone else to share this with, my FC is pretty dead.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ArtIsResistance posted:

This game's really good about cool animations and aesthetics, which is the entirety what the dancer class is, so I can see it. I still want gambler though. gimme the bones, i want bones

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Bobfly posted:

I wanna see geomancer. Like, I know WHM lore is pretty close to that, but I want a smellier hippie version, a proper druid guy. Let me dress up in goat fur, ring my bell, and fight people with, like, earthquakes, vines and tidal waves. Damit, that's WHM, isn't it.
A feng shui nerd? Whatever. The bell and goat furs are the important part.

ASTs are Geomancers kinda from the Stormblood quests

I want Dancer to be a tank to see everyone angry

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ArtIsResistance posted:

Masturbation and Erotic Role Playing

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A lot of dumb people also want dodge tanks because they don't realize it'd completely gently caress gameplay (unless dodge tanking was just fluff, like twisting your body so that you don't get hit with the full force).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Having a tank with standard damage reduction cooldowns that are just flavored as dodging would be fine. But then you run into an issue where they are wearing full plate all the time, which isn't really in flavor. Or even worse you have one tank that uses different gear, which would be awful.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

For me just because they'd look cool, and hypothetically add more support dps options, and they're fairly high up on the FF jobs list. I hate the concept of a melee healer though.

Dancer 👏 would 👏 not 👏 be 👏 a 👏 melee 👏 healer. 👏

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

WrightOfWay posted:

Having a tank with standard damage reduction cooldowns that are just flavored as dodging would be fine. But then you run into an issue where they are wearing full plate all the time, which isn't really in flavor. Or even worse you have one tank that uses different gear, which would be awful.

It's not like melee DPS isn't split into 3(?) armor types already, but yeah that'd also be a huge issue. Same for BLU as a tank.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

vOv posted:

It's not like melee DPS isn't split into 3(?) armor types already, but yeah that'd also be a huge issue. Same for BLU as a tank.

Just let BLU wear platemail and look awesome IMO

I mean their whole gimmick is improving by getting hit by stuff, you'd want to wear pretty beefy armor if that was your job

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

vOv posted:

A lot of dumb people also want dodge tanks because they don't realize it'd completely gently caress gameplay (unless dodge tanking was just fluff, like twisting your body so that you don't get hit with the full force).

Have it like Monk tanks in WoW, they take full damage but in the form of DoTs
I'm sure this wouldn't break anything

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Mordiceius posted:

If it happened it wouldn't be the first time.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SonicRulez posted:

EDIT: I don't know why, but the link doesn't work for me.

Something about the youtube link parsing that the forum does broke it. https://www.youtube.com/user/StarFishB0x0rs/videos

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So... I'm still lugging around carbonized matter grades 2-5 in my inventory, but can't find it on the market anymore. Is it gone?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

HenryEx posted:

Speaking of half-forgotten plot threads, didn't Urianger work with the Ascians at some point? Did anything ever come from that pre-4.x that i've just forgotten or is he playing the extremely long game?

I did the Soul Surrender patch stuff recently and this kinda confused me too. Urianger seemed to be idly talking with some of the more diplomatic Ascians and then went undercover working with the Warriors of Darkness, though I don't understand in what capacity. He helped them stir up beast tribe strife and then kill the resulting primals? I wasn't sure if he was overly apologizing because that's his personality or if he was supposed to have done something really bad. He basically ends up leading them/us into the same trap... that he helps us win?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

HenryEx posted:

So... I'm still lugging around carbonized matter grades 2-5 in my inventory, but can't find it on the market anymore. Is it gone?

Yeah, there's only one kind of carbonized matter you need, like how glamour prisms got collapsed.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HenryEx posted:

Dump it. Carbonized matter was removed as a required resource for melding in 4.0.

vOv posted:

Yeah, there's only one kind of carbonized matter you need, like how glamour prisms got collapsed.

This is only true in the most fringe of cases: The level 20 BTN/MIN job quests still require Carbonized Matter. But for everything else? No use at all.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 7, 2018

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just let BLU wear platemail and look awesome IMO

I mean their whole gimmick is improving by getting hit by stuff, you'd want to wear pretty beefy armor if that was your job

If BLU were a tank I would main BLU instead of DRK like I do currently.

Also you can't have BLU not have a blue icon. That's just silly. RDM has a red icon after all.

edit: also here's a thread about how a hypothetical BLU tank could operate https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6x6f30/blue_mage_blu_as_a_tank_concept_pitch/

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 7, 2018

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dump it. Carbonized matter was removed as a required resource for melding in 4.0.

This is only true in the most fringe of cases: The level 20 BTN/MIN job quests still require Carbonized Matter. But for everything else? No use at all.

Oh yeah, I forgot that you don't need it period.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

If BLU were a tank I would main BLU instead of DRK like I do currently.

Also you can't have BLU not have a blue icon. That's just silly. RDM has a red icon after all.

But black is red and white is green.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
They just need to add Green Mage and give that a green icon.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mordiceius posted:

If dancer was a melee healer, I might actually play it. I don't even want it to be something that heals through damage done, it's full healing suite could be identical to the rough paradigm of the other healers. Just, for fucks sake give me some melee damage combos that are more interesting to do than mashing stone and maintaining 1 dot.

Edit: also make their poo poo scale with dex and stick em on nin equipment.

fakeedit: remove ninja equipment entirely, stick all of them on striking gear.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 7, 2018

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

When I read melee healer I think you all mean "healer that needs to be in melee range to heal" which sounds like hell.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kan-E-Senna is great. Decides to go to the Churning Mists and doesn't care what her advisers say.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

Kan-E-Senna is great. Decides to go to the Churning Mists and doesn't care what her advisers say.

Kan-E-Senna is Eorzea's Hitler analogue.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
By melee healer I mean a healer that has melee dps abilities, but ranged heals. Melee healing would be dumb and bad.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

By melee healer I mean a healer that has melee dps abilities, but ranged heals. Melee healing would be dumb and bad.

If it had loads of movement options it sounds like it could be really fun tbh.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

oh no blimp issue posted:

Kan-E-Senna is Eorzea's Hitler analogue.

Uh.

What

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

oh no blimp issue posted:

If it had loads of movement options it sounds like it could be really fun tbh.

Hey I need to heal the tank!

Cleave.

Dead healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Failboattootoot posted:

If dancer was a melee healer, I might actually play it. I don't even want it to be something that heals through damage done, it's full healing suite could be identical to the rough paradigm of the other healers. Just, for fucks sake give me some melee damage combos that are more interesting to do than mashing stone and maintaining 1 dot.

Edit: also make their poo poo scale with dex and stick em on nin equipment.

fakeedit: remove ninja equipment entirely, stick all of them on striking gear.

Forcing a healer to stand with melee is a bad idea as there are already multiple fights where healers must spend most of their time outside of melee range.

Basically, it would completely gimp their DPS. No one would use them for raiding as their potential DPS would be far lower than AST/WHM/SCH