Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The statue of liberty should be a wonder you build and then give to someone else

Then get a DOF out of it or favorable trade deals or something
But a while later it starts throwing denunciations against the original builder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
New casus belli: Freedom Fries.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

More realistically and helpfully, the Statute of Liberty should give workers, not settlers.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jesus, edge scrolling still isn't fixed... what the gently caress are they even doing with this game? I'm legit surprised it's even getting an expansion.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Deakul posted:

Jesus, edge scrolling still isn't fixed... what the gently caress are they even doing with this game? I'm legit surprised it's even getting an expansion.

Printing money, that's what

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

is it? i mean the name by itself is worth a lot, but is it performing beyond that or are they just burning off brand value for cash?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Deakul posted:

I am rather astonished at the technical issues the game is still facing.

As a game I actually rather like a lot of the new concepts introduced. But there's really no excuse for bugs like this, Alert being weird, and some multiplayer issues I've heard of.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

The Human Crouton posted:

Sorry 2K. Milton Tootoosis owns those pieces of human history.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

As an American, I'm appalled that I wasn't consulted for America's inclusion in this video game.

Of course, if you talk to me and pay my consultation fee, I'm sure we can smooth things over.

You guys are acting like real touchy assholes about this.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

khwarezm posted:

Cree account spotted.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

khwarezm posted:

gamer culture

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cree account spotted.

No, seriously, I don't know what your problem is but the guy's concerns seem to be reasonable and well stated enough with a lot of credit given to the developers and their intentions (and in any event more than likely won't effect the game) and you seem to be taking maximum offense to it regardless.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

khwarezm posted:

No, seriously, I don't know what your problem is but the guy's concerns seem to be reasonable and well stated enough with a lot of credit given to the developers and their intentions (and in any event more than likely won't effect the game) and you seem to be taking maximum offense to it regardless.

they're just jokes, my man

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Cree account spotted.

No that's me.

Edit:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

boar guy posted:

they're just jokes, my man

Nothing funnier than calling Native Americans greedy when it comes to how they view portrayal of their culture.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

khwarezm posted:

Reasonably stated would be: "Hey dudes, I see that the the tribe I currently represent has recently been made into a faction in a new video game. I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you that the abstraction of a video game does not fully represent our culture, and if you'd like to know more about the Cree and Poundmaker then visit Cree.com. We currently have a petition to exonerate Poundmaker for his false charges of treason. We encourage you to look into the details and help us exonerate this innocent man. If you need more details then contact us at..."

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Played and won my first game on Prince last night. Pretty fun game, looking forward to learning how to actually play it correctly.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Tell me more how about how a native should comport themselves regarding potential issues with portrayals of natives by palefaces. :rolleyes:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

native america isnt a real country

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

wow

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Reasonably stated would be: "Hey dudes, I see that the the tribe I currently represent has recently been made into a faction in a new video game. I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you that the abstraction of a video game does not fully represent our culture, and if you'd like to know more about the Cree and Poundmaker then visit Cree.com. We currently have a petition to exonerate Poundmaker for his false charges of treason. We encourage you to look into the details and help us exonerate this innocent man. If you need more details then contact us at..."

So, skulk in the corners in order to not offend gamers? First off, you seem to be basing this off the PCgamer article, which is really blowing what he said out of proportion. If you want a less slanted article on it, CBC did okay. Second, he mostly just wanted them to approach the community in the right way. As I said before, it seems like the dev team or whatever tried, so it's not like I'm blaming them, but there is a lot of reason to be a bit wary of how we're portrayed, even if Tootoosis might be overreacting, in my opinion.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 7, 2018

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I reject that Milton Tootoosis thinks he can decide how history is decided, I reject his strategy, and I reject that one must approach a council to make a game or otherwise.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Stairmaster posted:

native america isnt a real country

I'm going to assume you meant to include that with a little " ;) " icon, so my response will follow from that.

But it's a game called Civilization, not Country-Nation! I mean, it's not like Greece under Pericles and Alexander (to name a couple of their leaders), wasn't a nation as we accept it today, but rather a loose collection of City-states! ;)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I treat anyone who complains about what Civs or leaders are included for any reason with the same amount of derision, given the current selection. None of them are worth complaining about.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There's no country or culture in the world which can be depicted accurately in Civilization on that level, but if you're not already familiar with the series it's easy to understand such a response. All in all it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal one way or another.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The complaints are all really measured and even acknowledge that good might come of the Cree representation in the game, and all the complaints about the complaints remind me of the kind of people who complain about "SJWs", so while I personally think the Cree's inclusion in the game is a good thing and that Firaxis has been handling it well (outside of that they apparently might not have spoken to the tribes about it, which seems weird given how they've been going about this otherwise, but is definitely a thing they should have done since they're representing a historically and presently oppressed group who is still extant, and are representing a relatively recent portion of their history at that), as well as that some of the complaints seem a bit unfamiliar with the games and how they'll be represented in them, I also think that all the people bitching about Tootoosis's comments seem like huge assholes who should stop hanging out on Reddit and 4chan.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The best point he makes is that not all people value the accumulation of land and wealth as things to aspire to or as a measure of success, and so the inclusion of civilizations/peoples who don't value those things in a game that's pretty much geared for it doesn't respect those people's beliefs.

The beauty of the game is that it does allow for other victory types, and that's where I think he was sort of wrong. But in order to really implement a civilization that's specifically anti-expansion and anti-wealth, you'd have to mess with the rules quite a bit, which is still not to say it couldn't be done- Venice in Civ V is a good example of a way to implement a different playstyle altogether.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

american isnt even a race so i dont see how anything here is problematic

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i wouldn't want my culture in this crap-rear end game either, so this cree guy is alright with me

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Glass of Milk posted:

The best point he makes is that not all people value the accumulation of land and wealth as things to aspire to or as a measure of success, and so the inclusion of civilizations/peoples who don't value those things in a game that's pretty much geared for it doesn't respect those people's beliefs.

I disagree with him most strongly. I apologize for being so boisterous about this in a game thread, but this is something I'm pretty adamant about.

I have a very strong interest in human history. My interest is a layman's interest, but still something I really care about. North American Native American history is a very difficult thing to figure out because they did not develop writing. Therefore we must rely on archaeological evidence and add a bit of story telling history to possibly fit in pieces. We know more about Egypt 4000 years ago than we do North America 700 years ago because Egypt and its neighbors wrote poo poo down.

I object to people pretending that they have a better idea of their tribal history because they have been decided to be the judge in a game of telephone. This is not any judgement against the Cree or any other tribe. I am only saying that all record of human history, including archaeological digs of North American tribes, have shown that humans kill and take land. Not writing the fact that wars happened does not mean they did not happen.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I disagree with him most strongly. I apologize for being so boisterous about this in a game thread, but this is something I'm pretty adamant about.

I have a very strong interest in human history. My interest is a layman's interest, but still something I really care about. North American Native American history is a very difficult thing to figure out because they did not develop writing. Therefore we must rely on archaeological evidence and add a bit of story telling history to possibly fit in pieces. We know more about Egypt 4000 years ago than we do North America 700 years ago because Egypt and its neighbors wrote poo poo down.

I object to people pretending that they have a better idea of their tribal history because they have been decided to be the judge in a game of telephone. This is not any judgement against the Cree or any other tribe. I am only saying that all record of human history, including archaeological digs of North American tribes, have shown that humans kill and take land. Not writing the fact that wars happened does not mean they did not happen.

While I'll say that the idea that the first nations didn't war and conquer like any other peoples on Earth did raise my eyebrows, I think I can give him some slack considering the recent history of Native Americans. He's not really wrong when he says "Poundmaker was certainly not in the same frame of mind as the colonial powers" given what was going on when Poundmaker was active and the Cree were generally a much more open society compared to both the white settlers and a lot of the other Indian cultures in America. If he's worried that the game would end up portraying them as a harsh empire I can see why he might say something.

In any event, characterizing him as just some butthurt baby was less boisterous and more lovely.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

This is a real fun and good conversation.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
My people Nazca/Paracas even Chincha according to some theories got crushed by the Incas and as a Peruvian I still want them on the game. Mourning and respecting is fine, but so is starting over, that's how Civilizations develop.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Sure, I get that. Paleolithic peoples would certainly fight over resources themselves, and even Poundmaker himself was party to violence against the Canadian army. On the other hand, I don't believe that there was a systemic attempt to increase land for a central government- there was nobody planting a Cree flag in some territory or something, and if the resources moved the people would pretty much give up the land. We see maps today of the Native American nations that showed their ranging, but aside from some specific places they didn't really have the same understanding of land ownership that other civilizations did.

I take your point, though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Gandhi of all people lusts for nuclear weapons in the game and will annihilate other civilizations with them. I don't think that's disrespecting his legacy because it's just a game and players can play how they want to.

If they screwed up some historical facts or showed them in an inaccurate light I would understand. But it seems like their unique traits cast them favorably and accurate.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Civ6 is now on humble monthly for like fifteen bucks and I'm so tempted, but I've been following this thread since release and I have a sinking feeling that it's still poo poo, and I'll need to wait another 2-3 years until a "Complete" edition arrives before it's playable/good value/worth my time. :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Civ 6 was good and fun on release

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Serephina posted:

Civ6 is now on humble monthly for like fifteen bucks and I'm so tempted, but I've been following this thread since release and I have a sinking feeling that it's still poo poo, and I'll need to wait another 2-3 years until a "Complete" edition arrives before it's playable/good value/worth my time. :(

This comes up a lot and its always the same. Some hate its current state and tell people to wait. Others, such as myself, have enjoyed it despite its many issues. The expansion is roughly a month away and $12 is a great price.

Edit: Holy poo poo, I'm already at 300 hours played.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Serephina posted:

I think "poo poo" is too far but it's definitely not very good.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just buy it, it's only fifteen bucks. It can even be bad at that price. But it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I wouldn't bother spending the time. Life's too short to play things that aren't good.