Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

I sense a contradiction

I could be more verbose if you want me to, and I think that would demonstrate what he's talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

To summarize:

The plot is poorly conveyed

It’s not particularly interesting to begin with

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

sponges posted:

To summarize:

Really? Let me convey it to you with 17 pages on game theory, it’s actually quite elementary!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

sponges posted:

To summarize:

The events we've just been describing are not the plot.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

I could be more verbose if you want me to, and I think that would demonstrate what he's talking about.

Lmao you illiterate scum idiot fool. If it’s not complicated, you should try being less verbose.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Lmao great thread

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The playoffs are on right now you loving nerds

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

The events we've just been describing are not the plot.

Lines of dialog peppered through the beginning and middle of the movie are not the plot, gotcha

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Lmao you illiterate scum idiot fool. If it’s not complicated, you should try being less verbose.

In your earlier post, you seemed to think that something that is simple could not be described with an excessive amount of words. Now you seem to think that it can. I don't know why you think that matters, however.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
My biggest problem with the plot of Ep 1 was it never explained why Qui Gon took Anakin and made him call him "master." Is he really a pedophile like Watto implies?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Those Naboo fighter planes are so fuckin sweet

:hai:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

In your earlier post, you seemed to think that something that is simple could not be described with an excessive amount of words. Now you seem to think that it can. I don't know why you think that matters, however.

What

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Is that as not verbose as you can possibly get?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Baddie wants riches. He lets people die.
True villain starts killing, for chaos.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Taxchat was fun

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Baddie wants riches. He lets people die.
True villain starts killing, for chaos.

Atta boy. Now if you could reconcile this with “he wants everything done legally,” we might start to have a good movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There's no contradiction in what I said. My claim is that you're dishonestly arguing in a way that pretty much requires a more thorough explanation, and then when it comes out you point to it and go "wow look at this wall of text! So boring!"

Your response to that was pretty much to dishonestly cut out the context to imply that I'm saying the only way to explain the plot is by using lots of words.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Billzasilver posted:

Atta boy. Now if you could reconcile this with “he wants everything done legally,” we might start to have a good movie.

Baddie wants riches. Lets people die; it's not illegal.
True villain starts killing, for chaos. Doesn't care.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Martman posted:

There's no contradiction in what I said. My claim is that you're dishonestly arguing in a way that pretty much requires a more thorough explanation, and then when it comes out you point to it and go "wow look at this wall of text! So boring!"

Not seeing a problem here

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is preferable to talk about movies in good faith, even ones you don't like.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

It is preferable to talk about movies in good faith, even ones you don't like.

Lighten up

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's preferable to shitpost about Star Wars because it will hopefully keep goons too distracted to start saying the Force is God and Lucas can do no wrong

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's preferable to shitpost about Star Wars because it will hopefully keep goons too distracted to start saying the Force is God and Lucas can do no wrong

No one in this thread has said that "Lucas can do no wrong."

Serf
May 5, 2011

let us not forget that george lucas presided over this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSqslieMkcI

they can't all be winners

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The basic problem we've run into here is that people want to understand things without doing the work of paying attention. The word 'tax' evokes work, apparently, so people instantly check out - even though Quigon himself explains that the whole tax dispute thing is trivial bullshit:

"I sense an unusual amount of fear, for something as trivial as this trade dispute."

And it's true. He's right: the entire rest of the film, you get very clear, unambiguous imagery of skeleton armies invading a decadent pleasure-world. There is nothing complicated.

But the word 'tax' makes people think that they missed something - because they didn't do the work. The scary tax-concept grows and grows, unexamined, until it overwhelms the brain.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Serf posted:

Anyone else want to meet the imperial officer in this one though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYRHngrc4o0

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The basic problem we've run into here is that people want to understand things without doing the work of paying attention. The word 'tax' evokes work, apparently, so people instantly check out - even though Quigon himself explains that the whole tax dispute thing is trivial bullshit:

"I sense an unusual amount of fear, for something as trivial as this trade dispute."

And it's true. He's right: the entire rest of the film, you get very clear, unambiguous imagery of skeleton armies invading a decadent pleasure-world. There is nothing complicated.

But the word 'tax' makes people think that they missed something - because they didn't do the work. The scary tax-concept grows and grows, unexamined, until it overwhelms the brain.

All of this amounts to it........not being simple?!?

If you wanna talk about bad faith, cut the smuggo act of the movie being so clear and easy to understand if we just had the same galaxy brain as you and did the same 7 paragraphs of work.

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 7, 2018

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Billzasilver posted:

All of this amounts to it........not being simple?!?

If you wanna talk about bad faith, cut the smuggo act of the movie being so clear and easy to understand if we just had the same galaxy brain as you and did the same 7 paragraphs of work.

Galaxy brain: understands all 20 lines of Episode I's opening crawl, two of which are "Episode I" and "The Phantom Menace."

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Serf posted:

I too am horrified at the idea of Star Wars for the children.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The actual details of the trade dispute aren't really important, it's all just a pretext anyway.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

wyoming posted:

Yeah he sound horrified

Serf
May 5, 2011

wyoming posted:

clone wars ruled actually

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CountFosco posted:

Imagine if Coca Cola initiated a blockade of Trinidad using a hired mercenary fleet of small cruisers, because Trinidad decided to raise tariffs on Coke products dramatically.

What I really don't understand is your idea that Naboo needs to import agriculture; it's hard to imagine a more fertile looking world. If they can't be bothered to put together a few victory gardens, are they really in it to win it?

I have some great news for you regarding Coca-Cola's "business partners" handling fertile land and working class people outside of the US.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1448962.stm

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Neo Rasa posted:

I have some great news for you regarding Coca-Cola's "business partners" handling fertile land and working class people outside of the US.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1448962.stm

You say this as though I chose Coke randomly. The choice was intentional on my part.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
You’re looking at things backwards: what kind of people would chose to import food from the other side of the galaxy rather than use their land for farming? Rich people.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The actual details of the trade dispute aren't really important, it's all just a pretext anyway.

That’s partly true. The taxes are unimportant, except that they are an insult to the Nemoidians.

The ‘diplomatic’ scenes establish that the Republic is human supremacist (i.e. white supremacist). The Nemoidians are the perpetual losers, even though they take pains to operate within the law, because the Republic has a monopoly on force and looks down on their kind. They are not ‘just evil’, but reacting to a long legacy of mistreatment. They aren’t nazis; they’re merchants. The war explodes out of these underlying tensions.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the theory you posted a year ago about how they were a parody of Spock "Nimoy dians" could you go into that again? I don't think I agree but it was a fun read

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I like the theory you posted a year ago about how they were a parody of Spock "Nimoy dians" could you go into that again? I don't think I agree but it was a fun read

It's not really a theory. In early drafts they really were called Shatnerians, but Lucas changed it because that was clearly too on-the-nose.

It's a joke based on the rivalry between the two series. That's why the villains in Episode I are the Federation, and they have bridges like this:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

wyoming posted:

That show wasn't aimed at kids, it was aimed at the Robot Chicken crowd. It was also one of the least funny things I've ever seen.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The actual details aren't that complicated anyway. The crawl establishes it all in like two lines: The Trade Federation is mad about taxes on trade routes to planets like Naboo, so it blockades Naboo in protest. If you're an adult, this is a trivial thing to understand. If you're a kid, it doesn't matter. The Trade Federation are just greedy bad guys trying to take over the planet where the nice Gungans and Naboo live, and taxes and trade disputes are only mentioned in like two or three lines in the actual movie.

It isn't any more complicated than the idea in A New Hope that the Death Star is necessary to hold the galaxy together in the wake of the dissolution of the Senate bureaucracy, as a result of the need to maintain control over all the restless, far-flung territories of the Empire; this was previously accomplished by giving those territories a sense of at least nominal representation in the imperial government, but when the Emperor takes that away, the only alternative is for the Empire to rule by instilling a fear of complete and instant annihilation in all his subjects. Obviously most kids aren't going to understand all that political stuff, but it doesn't matter, because it's explicitly designed to enrich the understanding of older viewers while not impeding the enjoyment of younger viewers. To kids, the Empire is just a bunch of bad guys who are bad for the sake of it, and they're blowing up planets just because they're mean and evil. (And, ultimately, the kids aren't wrong.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012