Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
holy poo poo that was really loving good, i'm doing this again for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have some eggs from my friend's farm that came straight out of the chickens' butts and weren't washed. How long do Europeans leave these eggs out at room temp?

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Easily a couple of weeks. If that makes you nervous, you can always crack 'em into a bowl before cooking/adding to something to check they're still good.

davestones
May 7, 2009
Put them in a jug of water, if they sink they are fine. There is little to no risk of salmonella across much of the EU now so little risk of keeping them at room temperature. Here in the UK they are stored and sold at room temperature in shops and have recently been certified salmonella free to the point that pregnant women and small children can once again have runny eggs without worrying about the spirit of Edwina Currie appearing behind them.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So l'm the idiot who just realized your not supposed to eat mango skins :doh:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Aye carumba, what is that doing to your guts?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I'm planning on making this potato leek soup, but just found one of my guests doesn't do dairy: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/best-potato-leek-soup-recipe.html

Recipe calls for buttermilk and cream. I don't have much experience with non-dairy milks. Any recommendations? I'm worried about thickness and consistency. Should I add a splash of vinegar to mimic the acidity of the buttermilk?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

A Bag of Milk posted:

I'm planning on making this potato leek soup, but just found one of my guests doesn't do dairy: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/best-potato-leek-soup-recipe.html

Recipe calls for buttermilk and cream. I don't have much experience with non-dairy milks. Any recommendations? I'm worried about thickness and consistency. Should I add a splash of vinegar to mimic the acidity of the buttermilk?
For a soup that is so dairy-based, you're not going to get good results getting rid of the dairy. Best to find a potato leek soup recipe that doesn't have any dairy in the first place. I don't use a recipe when I make mine, just leeks + onions sauteed and then potatoes, then blend it and season, but you might check out something like this.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Glumslinger posted:

That's gonna be fun coming out.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

For a soup that is so dairy-based, you're not going to get good results getting rid of the dairy. Best to find a potato leek soup recipe that doesn't have any dairy in the first place. I don't use a recipe when I make mine, just leeks + onions sauteed and then potatoes, then blend it and season, but you might check out something like this.

Yeah, what he said. I've tried some that are chicken or vegetable broth based that were decent. Here's an example of a potato fennel soup in that vein, although that uses butter. You could just replace it with extra olive oil in this case and be fine though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

can I get some recipe ideas that'll increase the amount of veg I eat? I bought some parsnips, sweet potatoes and courgettes and I'm just gonna grill them in the oven. I know the parsnips and sweet potato will be lovely, but I have a feeling the courgette will be soggy and horrible.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Salt + pepper + olive oil roasting vegetables is 100% the best way to go most of the time, but your instinct is right. Zucchini needs to be either seared quickly, grated salted and drained, or not heated at all.

My wife remembered this fantastic recipe we've done. Salting + drying is important for zucchini or cucumber that make it into pasta.

http://www.weeklygreens.com/?recipe=summer-squash-linguine
(note: we cooked the original from the cookbook, this claims to be adapted so might be slightly different)

For a salad - type dish, we liked this: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/shaved-zucchini-salad-with-parmesan-and-pine-nuts

Qubee
May 31, 2013

thanks so much! what other vegetables are great with just salt, pepper and olive oil? I'm trying to increase dietary fibre and get more vegetables in my diet as I've lately been feeling so lethargic due to eating badly.

the zucchini salad looks delicious, I'm definitely going to try that out. I'll also cut the zucchini into discs and pan fry them real fast to eat as well.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Q8ee posted:

thanks so much! what other vegetables are great with just salt, pepper and olive oil? I'm trying to increase dietary fibre and get more vegetables in my diet as I've lately been feeling so lethargic due to eating badly.

the zucchini salad looks delicious, I'm definitely going to try that out. I'll also cut the zucchini into discs and pan fry them real fast to eat as well.

Sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, and eggplant are some other veggies that come out of simple roasting very well.

Cauliflower transforms into something magical. It seems to taste nothing like it does when raw.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'll pick some cauliflower and broccoli up tomorrow. Would aubergine not become wet and mushy from roasting? It seems like it'd turn out the same as courgettes in the oven would.

Speaking of aubergine, I need to ask my mum how she makes mutabal. I remember growing up and seeing her roast it on the stovetop, the smell it gave off was incredible.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
A good way to sneak vegetables into everything you cook is to build everything on top of mirepoix (or a variant.) When you're starting to cook a dish by sweating salted onions in fat throw in some carrots and celery (or green pepper or shallot or green onion or garlic, etc.) Yesterday I put carrots in (non-Texas) chili and I am unashamed.

Also, as stated above, roast all the veg all the time. Pretty much everything tastes good with just oil, S&P and 20-50 minutes in a hot oven.

Eat salad nearly every day. Even iceberg can be exciting if you keep some long-lived additions like radishes, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, etc in your crisper to toss on top. If you wanna get fancy sprouts and nuts and cheese on top.

EDIT: Roast eggplants whole and make baba. Over charcoal preferably.

moller fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 7, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Q8ee posted:

I'll pick some cauliflower and broccoli up tomorrow. Would aubergine not become wet and mushy from roasting? It seems like it'd turn out the same as courgettes in the oven would.

Speaking of aubergine, I need to ask my mum how she makes mutabal. I remember growing up and seeing her roast it on the stovetop, the smell it gave off was incredible.

Salt the aubergine first, let it sit for about 20m, then rinse the salt off and pat dry. That takes care of extra water and any bitterness. (Most eggplant doesn't seem to be bitter anymore on this side of the pond, but your mileage may vary. I've not salted and been fine.)

Aubergine turns creamy with roasting. It really shouldn't, but it comes out great if you leave enough room for it to roast on the pan, not steam itself. I usually end up doing cubes at 400F for 45m, stirring halfway.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
One of my favorite things to do with zucchini is also simple and fast. Put some olive oil and sliced garlic (and herbs if you want them) in a cold pan, then after the garlic turns golden take it out. Add your sliced zucchini, crookneck squash, delicata, salted and drained eggplant, that sort of thing, and saute until done. Toss with some lemon juice and serve. I usually slice around 1/8 inch thick, but you're the Mussolini of your zucchini.

It's a great side dish, very versatile.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Q8ee posted:

Almost anything :)

Broccoli (bite sized florets, peel the tough bits off the stalks and do them too),
Brussels sprouts,
potatoes 1" cubed,
butternut squash / pumpkin 1" cubed or smaller,
cabbage large wedges,
asparagus (though pan frying is easier),
kale + soy sauce + toasted sesame oil + either shallots or thinly sliced red onion to go over rice/farro,
okra halved lengthwise (roasting avoids sliminess)
Beets (wrap in foil so they steam, easy to peel afterwards)

The goal with all of these except the beets is to develop a bit of color, since by then A) some of the starches have become yummy caramelized sugars and B) the maillard reactions have made more good flavors. Silpats aren't required unless you like cleaning them and want to avoid parchment or foil waste.

My wife says you def can roast zucchini, like in this recipe:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cheesy-zucchini-eggplant-bake (we haven't made, we want to, but the technique looks solid)

Also if you have a spiralizer or a julienne peeler:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/brown-butter-summer-squash-linguine=
(worked great for us)

And three absolute favorites:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/09/squash-cobbler-sweet-potato-breadsticks-recipe-claire-ptak-baking-the-seasons
(the "cavolo nero" means lacinato, or dinosaur, kale)

https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/10/squash-toasts-with-ricotta-and-cider-vinegar/

(more complex)
http://www.spoonforkbacon.com/2015/07/summer-gnocchi/

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Q8ee posted:

Roasted sweet potatoes and onions used to be one of my favorite dishes — I forget why I stopped making it... I'd mix everything in a big mixing bowl, then spread it onto a pan lined with aluminum foil. I used smoked paprika and garlic powder instead of pepper. drat easy. Try to keep the onions as chunky as possible to minimize charring.

Bite-size roasted red pepper pieces (tossed in olive oil and salt, 30 minutes at 400° F) are like candy — no way is that a vegetable. Roasted asparagus is also great.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

you're the Mussolini of your zucchini.

I think you need to cut back on the Chef John.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Roasted eggplant is AMAZING. I also like sweet potato hash. Cubed sweet potatoes, bell peppers, and onions. Chopping everything up takes some prep, but I used to do a few pounds of it on Sundays and it would keep for a week. Just saute in some oil when you want some. Makes a nice breakfast with some egg, too.

My absolute favorite vegetable is artichoke, and it's pretty fast if you have a pressure cooker. Even if you don't, it takes a while but is super low effort.

I know green beans are sometimes an acquired taste, but haricot vert (the really skinny green beans) are freaking delicious roasted or sauteed with salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
One of my favorite sides is a mix of brussels sprouts, carrots, and parsnips tossed in olive oil and some herbs and roasted.

You can also quarter winter squash (acorn is my go-to), brush with butter and herbs (for a savory touch) or maple syrup and roast until soft and caramelized.

Also, especially this time of year (assuming you're northern hemisphere): make soups. I made this carrot soup a couple days ago and it's delicious with a dollop of sour cream (or with a big squirt of habanero hot sauce). Food Wishes on Youtube has a good butternut squash soup recipe. You can apply the general ideas in these recipes to most root vegetables.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
OOh, how could I forget about roasted beets! I hate the canned ones but love roasted beets.

This is a tasty recipe. Red beets, golden beets, fancy striped beets-- all work for this recipe. It uses the beet greens, too, so you get to feel extra healthy.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Pretty much every vegetable is fantastic roasted with olive oil for sure, but if you want something more decadent braised asparagus is out of this world :love:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

A Bag of Milk posted:

You might have success looking for soup that uses coconut milk instead. It's the creamiest plant-based milk (the canned stuff that is), the other ones tend to be way less rich than cream.

I'd personally advocate for lemon or lime instead of vinegar. A bit of vinegar can be ok, but I don't think I'd choose that as a first option for a creamy soup. But lime+coconut milk? That's pretty classic.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don’t know how common it is in general, but the Sprouts near me also sells coconut cream, which would presumably be even closer than coconut milk.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I got my hands on like ten Korean pears somehow and I have no idea what to do with these, they're weirdly hard and taste different

Any ideas about what to do with them?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thumbtacks posted:

I got my hands on like ten Korean pears somehow and I have no idea what to do with these, they're weirdly hard and taste different

Any ideas about what to do with them?

Purée into marinade for bulgogi.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Q8ee posted:

can I get some recipe ideas that'll increase the amount of veg I eat? I bought some parsnips, sweet potatoes and courgettes and I'm just gonna grill them in the oven. I know the parsnips and sweet potato will be lovely, but I have a feeling the courgette will be soggy and horrible.
Stop by the vegan thread, we eat vegetables sometimes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Made pot stickers last night and they were delicious. But I used store bought wrappers and they were kind of annoying because they would dry out and tear. Is there a trick to it?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Were they fresh and refrigerated or were they dried and shelf stable? We've never had a problem with fresh. Fresh dumpling, potsticker, or even egg roll wrappers are better than any dried imo

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, sounds like they were on the shelf too long.

This is why I always make the whole package, even if I have to scrounge up some fillings for the last dozen or so... If you put leftover wrappers in the fridge, they will dry out and crack

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Seconded. I used to stockpile them because Iove jiaozi and it's hard for me to get to an Asian market, but they really only last a few weeks before they get too dry (even in the sealed plastic they come in) to really work.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They were frozen and fine when first removed from the package but after a minute or two would start drying out them would crack when folded. Doing one at a time solved that problem but we were trying to do an assembly line.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

wormil posted:

They were frozen and fine when first removed from the package but after a minute or two would start drying out them would crack when folded. Doing one at a time solved that problem but we were trying to do an assembly line.

Couple tricks you can try. Keep the ones you're not actively folding constantly covered or wrapped in a damp towel and it should be easier. You can also keep a bowl of water nearby, dip your fingers and dab it around as needed to keep them pliable. Work as quickly as you can. But yeah, you can't really do a proper assembly line that way.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I found it helps to keep dumplings covered in a damp cloth after filling and folding too. Helps prevent cracks during freezing. My girlfriend would stuff them and I'd fold them, that's basically an assembly line right?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'll try some those ideas. They were probably one of the most popular things I've made and they are actually really easy. I followed the Food Wishes method.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there such a thing as a decent cheap electric flour mill? And how hard is rice flour to make with one (or a manual one if those are the only good cheap ones)? Rice flour is $3-4 a pound, and rice is $.50 per pound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

If Dwarf Fortress taught me anything, it's that you should construct a quern.