Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

OhDearGodNo posted:

Skeletons should be a universal death unit honestly. Are they not?

Skeleton warriors are a generic death troop choice and skeletons show up in models across all the subfactions, but I think he's referencing the Deathrattle keyword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly how the Nagash Battletome is doing Allegiance abilities this way more or less answers the faction squish I was talking just talking about.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So people that are playing Death already: I literally have every single death model and/or unit in a box or on sprues somewhere in my pile.

Assuming points and rules aren't changing in the new book, what should I be building/painting first?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TKIY posted:

So people that are playing Death already: I literally have every single death model and/or unit in a box or on sprues somewhere in my pile.

Assuming points and rules aren't changing in the new book, what should I be building/painting first?

From how the new book is set up you will want Nagash and the Mortarchs.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

I doubt units themselves will change very much but that we're probably getting lots of new formations, alliance abilities, and synergies so it's hard to know what will be good/useful?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

I doubt units themselves will change very much but that we're probably getting lots of new formations

I doubt this. They seem to be downplaying them as shown by the fact that many of them are not legal in matched play anymore. We may be going the route of Stratagems soon enough.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I doubt this. They seem to be downplaying them as shown by the fact that many of them are not legal in matched play anymore. We may be going the route of Stratagems soon enough.

I think they just wanted to ditch the compendium battalions as part of trying to bury compendium stuff in general.

Every battalion that has been printed in a Grand Alliance or Battletome book is still valid and the GHB 2017 even added some battalions for a couple factions with older battletomes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Danimo posted:

I think they just wanted to ditch the compendium battalions as part of trying to bury compendium stuff in general.

Every battalion that has been printed in a Grand Alliance or Battletome book is still valid and the GHB 2017 even added some battalions for a couple factions with older battletomes.

The start collecting battalions are not legal ether anymore.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

TKIY posted:

Skeletons, maybe a wight king and a necromancer?

It's hard to say at this point, but you really can't go wrong with these 3 I'd think.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TKIY posted:

Mortarchs should be helpful.

Also can you send some of this stuff over to me. I am joking, unless you are willing to.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I played a good game today, my Spiderfang Grot army against a Soulblight army. I forgot to take pictures but here's one my opponent took.

We played the Starstrike mission from the GHB17, as I'd gotten a bit tired of the randomness of the Open War cards (still a cool way to play though). I won the game. 720 points of my opponent's army is dedicated to an allied Arkhan and 400 summoning points for Mourngul (so as to keep Soulblight allegiance), and my Spear Chukka allies got hot and killed Arkhan before he could successfully summon the Mourngul.

I need to really get going on these spiders and finish them so I can post the army itself.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Neat! Thanks for sharing. I just picked up the GH2017 today and I'm really impressed with the bones they threw to almost every army. The Allegiance Abilities and such for my Free Peoples are kind of insane, and I look forward to seeing how they do in my first AoS tournament at the end of the month. I'll have to rejigger my list a little bit though, it's only a 1500 point tournament so I'm still in the 200 points for allies bracket, which means either my cannon or Wildform wwwwizard are staying home.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SRM posted:

Neat! Thanks for sharing. I just picked up the GH2017 today and I'm really impressed with the bones they threw to almost every army. The Allegiance Abilities and such for my Free Peoples are kind of insane, and I look forward to seeing how they do in my first AoS tournament at the end of the month. I'll have to rejigger my list a little bit though, it's only a 1500 point tournament so I'm still in the 200 points for allies bracket, which means either my cannon or Wildform wwwwizard are staying home.

I hope they eventually give you the ability to get cool ablites for taking your Free People with other old Empire units.

Someone pointed out to me a potential reason for the faction divide. Namely that it was done to show off numerous groups and fluff in the new setting, and they did not try to make any of them equal or balanced towards each other because the initial rules had no balance. The GH came to bring Balance to the game. But the issues of how split some factions were still caused issues.

If future battletomes are more like Legions of Nagash then this will change the game for the better. I also hope that Malign Portents comes with a shakeup of the core rules.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 7, 2018

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MonsterEnvy posted:

I hope they eventually give you the ability to get cool ablites for taking your Free People with other old Empire units.

I have a feeling my Greatcannon and Reiksguard are going to remain garbo forever, but I've been using the Greatcannon as the Dwarf Cannon from the Ironweld Aresenal list and it's a pretty flat upgrade when you factor in the rerolls it can get from an Engineer. But yeah, a Battletome: Flouncy Shirts and Feathered Hats would be real nice.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on a Death army once the battletome comes out. I doubt I'll ever play with it but I still like to plan the structure of my army.

Its the first faction to get a tome that I'm actually interested in at all, the work to throw old grogs a few bones is having an effect I guess. I was initially mad at the death of the Tansylvanian vampire, bats, ghouls theme but its been long enough to accept it. Just wanna buy a Garden of Morr and populate it with some spooky ghosts, a wight king, necromancers and skellies. Zombies and vampires can get lost, I'm over 'em.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Would chaos warriors painted green with rusted weapons look Nurgle enough? Like, without any conversion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Would chaos warriors painted green with rusted weapons look Nurgle enough? Like, without any conversion.

That was generally the look of Nurgle Warriors before they got their own models.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Totally. If you had extra Blightking bits to mix in that could enhance the look of the unit but it'd be completely fine and look super good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SRM posted:

Totally. If you had extra Blightking bits to mix in that could enhance the look of the unit but it'd be completely fine and look super good.

Would the scale look alright? Aren't Blightkings bigger than warriors?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
After weeks of overthinking I finally started my first army. Picked up the dwarf half of Skull Pass (minus the pony cart) and a gyrocopter for $60 on eBay today, and still have more than half of my self-imposed budget. I'm thinking Ironbreakers and a box of the newer warriors or a second Skull Pass set should round things out and keep me painting for months.

Now I want that dang pony cart.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Would the scale look alright? Aren't Blightkings bigger than warriors?

I'm figuring the heads and some random bits and bobs could be worked in there. Their heads don't look appreciably bigger than Chaos Warrior heads, so as to emphasize how bulky their bodies are.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

After weeks of overthinking I finally started my first army. Picked up the dwarf half of Skull Pass (minus the pony cart) and a gyrocopter for $60 on eBay today, and still have more than half of my self-imposed budget. I'm thinking Ironbreakers and a box of the newer warriors or a second Skull Pass set should round things out and keep me painting for months.

Now I want that dang pony cart.

Ive got a pony cart you can have for shipping, sounds like youre in the US though so shipping might not be worth it from the UK.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Anyone know how hard it would be to chuck the chaos knights on the horses from the LotR Morgul Knights?

I know LoTR are a bit smaller than hams scale, but I’m aiming to go for nurgle knights so an emaciated look is actually good, I’m just wondering how much trouble I’ll have getting the riders to sit on them at all

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Miles O'Brian posted:

Ive got a pony cart you can have for shipping, sounds like youre in the US though so shipping might not be worth it from the UK.
Thanks for the offer, but I lucked out and found a pony cart along with the shield wall and battle markers. I'm a big fan of these little scenery bits.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
If I were to go through the horror of rebasing my old fantasy army, what are my best options for getting bulk round/oval bases in the US?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I know LoTR are a bit smaller than hams scale,

I think the chaos knights will be bigger than the horses.

If you flip the LotR figures on eBay, you'll likely get more than enough for plastic chaos knights.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Anyone know how hard it would be to chuck the chaos knights on the horses from the LotR Morgul Knights?

I know LoTR are a bit smaller than hams scale, but I’m aiming to go for nurgle knights so an emaciated look is actually good, I’m just wondering how much trouble I’ll have getting the riders to sit on them at all

If you put WHFB figures on the LOTR horses it will look like they're riding ponies.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

That’s what I thought, thanks.

Anyone have suggestions for zombie/emaciated horses to chuck the knights on?

Ideally something similar to the Harbinger of Decay’s Mount (not skeleton horses like undead have)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SpikeMcclane posted:

If I were to go through the horror of rebasing my old fantasy army, what are my best options for getting bulk round/oval bases in the US?

eBay. Just do a search for "25mm round miniature base" or whatever size you need. They come from China, but you'll get 100 for like $8 shipped. If I remember correctly, it only took like a week and a half to get mine.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

eBay. Just do a search for "25mm round miniature base" or whatever size you need. They come from China, but you'll get 100 for like $8 shipped. If I remember correctly, it only took like a week and a half to get mine.

Yeah, they're usually the right height too. There's cheap GW ones sometimes too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://malignportents.com/story/story-two/

New sort story that seems to be implying new death unit.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Also on the Malign Portents site is the "Traveller's Guide to the Mortal Realms," which gives a decent explanation of what the Realms look and act like - and it's much better than MSPaint-ripoffs of Norse 9 Worlds art.

In reading the stuff and seeing how GW is explaining things, it almost seems that Malign Portents is an AoS v.1.5, where they come out with the details that should have been in the background of the game all along.

MonsterEnvy posted:

https://malignportents.com/story/story-two/

New sort story that seems to be implying new death unit.
Yeeeeah... I don't know how to break this to you, but that's a Stormcast. Probably the white-armored Knights Exelsior:

quote:

The Knights Excelsior bring to battle crackling chains of celestial lightnings. ‘For the Glory of Sigmar!’ is their motto. The battlegrounds in their wake are left scorched and smoking, scoured of all life so that the taint of Chaos is eradicated entirely.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Why is a Stormcast merking random farmers?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

Why is a Stormcast merking random farmers?

I quote again:

quote:

The battlegrounds in their wake are left scorched and smoking, scoured of all life so that the taint of Chaos is eradicated entirely
Scorched earth policy. The Stormcasts aren't really "good" good-guys, especially once they've ridden the lightning a few times too many.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 9, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

berzerkmonkey posted:

I quote again:

Scorched earth policy. The Stormcasts aren't really "good" good-guys, especially once they've ridden the lightning a few times too many.

Oh I know that they aren't pure white good guys, this is Warhammer we're talking about, I just thought it seemed like a waste of time for a warrior-hero chosen by a living god to fight monsters, daemons, and worse to go around blowing up random farmers.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

Oh I know that they aren't pure white good guys, this is Warhammer we're talking about, I just thought it seemed like a waste of time for a warrior-hero chosen by a living god to fight monsters, daemons, and worse to go around blowing up random farmers.

Yeah, though I think AoS is going to be moving away from Sigmar being actively involved to him being more of a distant brooding figure, and having the Stormcast Chambers act more like Space Marines in their autonomy and the way they deal with the huddled masses.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I know most Stormcast are typically more noble and good then the typical space marine. But there are assholes in their numbers.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Can’t wait for the introduction of chaos storm cast

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Solemn Sloth posted:

Can’t wait for the introduction of chaos storm cast

AoS hasn't really explored the "corruption" aspect of Chaos nearly as much as 40k or even WHFB did, I don't know if thats an intentional decision or a function of the setting being so you but its always felt weird in its absence. So yeah I wouldn't mind the idea of a few Chaos Stormcast here and there. It should probably be used sparingly though, a few here and there rather than full on CSM style legions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I don't know if it will happen, if only because AoS doesn't need to do it like 40k had to in order to justify the Epic game. There is no need for chaos stormcasts because chaos warriors are already a well defined thing.

Also, there seems to be less of a risk of corruption, and more a risk of them getting fried and losing any connection to humanity that they may have had in the beginning. At that point, they become machines with no regard for human life.

Finally, do we really need more stormcasts?

• Locked thread