Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just review every single fight in the game and change them as necessary to accommodate a melee healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

In 1.0 Gridania had to regularly sacrifice people to the elementals to keep them placated, they've quietly forgotten that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Wanting a melee healer is like wanting a ranged tank.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

oh no blimp issue posted:

In 1.0 Gridania had to regularly sacrifice people to the elementals to keep them placated, they've quietly forgotten that.

I'd say that's readily been retconned at this point, considering it hasn't come up again at all.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Hey I need to heal the tank!

Cleave.

Dead healer.

They can have a cool down ranged heal, it'll be fine.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'd say that's readily been retconned at this point, considering it hasn't come up again at all.

They're also very racist against Moon tribe Miqo'Te and Duskwights, Nashu wasn't allowed in Gridania and had to beg outside it.
Also Gridania is right next to Ala Mhigo but all the refugees are in Ul'Dah? Suspicious if you ask me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've floated this idea before but I'd love a :airquote:melee:airquote: healer whose weapon was a whip that had a 30-yalm range and had cool physics effects

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've floated this idea before but I'd love a :airquote:melee:airquote: healer whose weapon was a whip that had a 30-yalm range and had cool physics effects

Dancer healer that uses whips/ribbons

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Half of Dracula posted:

I did the Soul Surrender patch stuff recently and this kinda confused me too. Urianger seemed to be idly talking with some of the more diplomatic Ascians and then went undercover working with the Warriors of Darkness, though I don't understand in what capacity. He helped them stir up beast tribe strife and then kill the resulting primals? I wasn't sure if he was overly apologizing because that's his personality or if he was supposed to have done something really bad. He basically ends up leading them/us into the same trap... that he helps us win?

He was basically manipulating both the Scions and the Warriors of Darkness to arrange for as close to a win-win scenario for both of their worlds - the Source and the First - as possible. Only real downside is with Minfilia; the WoD seem pretty well dead but they kinda already died to begin with to make the trip to the Source.

This also fucks over the black-robed Ascians' hopes to make their conflict kill the WoL and trigger a Rejoining. Elidibus is cool enough with the outcome because having the First turn into the light version of the Void would be bad for the Ascians too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They're also very racist against Moon tribe Miqo'Te and Duskwights, Nashu wasn't allowed in Gridania and had to beg outside it.
Also Gridania is right next to Ala Mhigo but all the refugees are in Ul'Dah? Suspicious if you ask me.

Kan-E-Senna has been pretty open that she's not really a fan of that kind of attitude. Gridania has a lot of problems but I don't think she's anywhere near the source of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Kan-E-Senna has been pretty open that she's not really a fan of that kind of attitude. Gridania has a lot of problems but I don't think she's anywhere near the source of it.

Basically, all three faction leaders are or have been busy trying to bludgeon pretty awful places into less awful ones. In Merlwyb’s case, literally.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

How much say does Kan-E-Senna really have when she was only chosen to be Elder Seedseer because she looked the oldest?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Half of Dracula posted:

I did the Soul Surrender patch stuff recently and this kinda confused me too. Urianger seemed to be idly talking with some of the more diplomatic Ascians and then went undercover working with the Warriors of Darkness, though I don't understand in what capacity. He helped them stir up beast tribe strife and then kill the resulting primals? I wasn't sure if he was overly apologizing because that's his personality or if he was supposed to have done something really bad. He basically ends up leading them/us into the same trap... that he helps us win?

He was intentionally pulling strings so that we could end up meeting with Minfilia again. He wanted to see his friend and let everyone say goodbye. And also help the WoD because they weren't so bad after all. I dunno, something like that, I hate Urianger.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Vil posted:

He was basically manipulating both the Scions and the Warriors of Darkness to arrange for as close to a win-win scenario for both of their worlds - the Source and the First - as possible. Only real downside is with Minfilia; the WoD seem pretty well dead but they kinda already died to begin with to make the trip to the Source.

This also fucks over the black-robed Ascians' hopes to make their conflict kill the WoL and trigger a Rejoining. Elidibus is cool enough with the outcome because having the First turn into the light version of the Void would be bad for the Ascians too.

SonicRulez posted:

He was intentionally pulling strings so that we could end up meeting with Minfilia again. He wanted to see his friend and let everyone say goodbye. And also help the WoD because they weren't so bad after all. I dunno, something like that, I hate Urianger.

Alright, I guess I didn't miss anything then, the tone's just a bit off. I love that Urianger's disguise is to NOT be wearing a mask though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mordiceius posted:

Forcing a healer to stand with melee is a bad idea as there are already multiple fights where healers must spend most of their time outside of melee range.

Basically, it would completely gimp their DPS. No one would use them for raiding as their potential DPS would be far lower than AST/WHM/SCH

I don't really give a poo poo. The onus of balance is on the dev team, not me. If they deem it too difficult to implement then they won't and that is just fine with me since I don't really think this game needs yet another ranged healer

Or any more jobs really if I am being honest, it takes forever to level them all up after an expansion as it is.

edit: And just for the sake of being argumentative, there's no reason for devs to go back and rebalance old content for new jobs. Samurai and especially red mage are already drastically more dps than most other jobs at 60 or lower, I don't really see the need for them to address that particular issue.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 7, 2018

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Urianger is a creepy dude.

Wind-up Moenbryda
This anatomically accurate representation of Moenbryda was secretly crafted by none other than Urianger immediately following the untimely passing of his beloved companion. What he did with it before it passed to your hands is a tale best left untold.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
While I generally like the localization, there were apparently no creepy implications in the Japanese description for that minion.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

siotle posted:

While I generally like the localization, there were apparently no creepy implications in the Japanese description for that minion.

It at least gives him a personality, whereas without it he has none.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How much say does Kan-E-Senna really have when she was only chosen to be Elder Seedseer because she looked the oldest?

Not much, but that doesn't make her anywhere close to "the Hitler analogue." She's doing the best with what she's been given.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

siotle posted:

It's that one, Khloe, and Y'shtola 2 that all confound me. I think Koji has a lot of funny stuff, but that just comes so far out of left field and not in an endearing way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

HenryEx posted:

I don't think anything can top the Power Rangers finale of the original beast tribes, but the HW tribe finale is also pretty drat fantastic so far. That dance. :allears:

Sorry if i'm interrupting class chat, i don't have anyone else to share this with, my FC is pretty dead.

I like how Gi Gu goes from being lazy and unmotivated to being that guy who systematically destroys everyone who bullied him in high school.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

If it had loads of movement options it sounds like it could be really fun tbh.

Or in other words: take RDM and flip it turnways.
Which then begs the question of 'why not play RDM?'

Having more damage options than casting spells or DoT's would be a better design goal I agree.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The advantage of adding a tank and healer is that they can codify into mechanics the main/sub preference that the community only has through optimization--i.e. remove the shield option from astro and add a shield+dps healer to compete with scholar, so you take ast or whm then sch or chm, let's say. Having to balance only two sets of options against each other will feel a lot better than one of three options being perpetually left out in the cold by reddit whimsy.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Wait what

Sprint doesn't use TP anymore

This changes everything!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Wait what

Sprint doesn't use TP anymore

This changes everything!

Doesn’t last as long, either :|

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

The reason for this is because the Elements said "gently caress them, they are descended from people from Amdapor" and so the refugees basically were only allowed to pass through the woods to get the gently caress out.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The elementals did nothing wrong.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Doesn’t last as long, either :|
They shortened and nerfed a lot of stuff, apparently. I'm kinda okay with Sprint tho, since it's easier to pull with it as a tank now.

But not gonna lie, i'd rather take my previous 50% berserk with 5 secs of disable than the current boring 30% buff. And i dearly miss Bloodbath + Overpower.

Any other pets that rest on your character like the succubus / puff of darkness? I think there's that one rare bird that does it too? I need to get some variety into my /beckon game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

[quote="HenryEx" post=""479995105"]
Any other pets that rest on your character like the succubus / puff of darkness? I think there's that one rare bird that does it too? I need to get some variety into my /beckon game.
[/quote]

wind up Nanamo does :3:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, I guess that's everything from ARR wrapped up, except for the missing Scions and Ilberd.

No political intrigue, I guess. But hey. DRAGONS.

This is the first time I've felt underwhelmed by the story, but I understand there's only so much you can do with a fugitive storyline in a game like this. It is what it is.

I expected Alianne to be one of the traitors, or dead though. Color that a pleasant surprise.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Failboattootoot posted:

I don't really give a poo poo. The onus of balance is on the dev team, not me. If they deem it too difficult to implement then they won't and that is just fine with me since I don't really think this game needs yet another ranged healer

Or any more jobs really if I am being honest, it takes forever to level them all up after an expansion as it is.

edit: And just for the sake of being argumentative, there's no reason for devs to go back and rebalance old content for new jobs. Samurai and especially red mage are already drastically more dps than most other jobs at 60 or lower, I don't really see the need for them to address that particular issue.

This game is just not built to support the idea of a melee healer. Melee healers (and ranged tanks) completely break the game as a whole.

Ranged tanks, obviously, since most enemies do their damage as melee attacks. A ranged tank would completely nullify that, there is not a way to make that work and be on the same level as the other tanks. Yet, I've still seen people call for it.

As for melee healers - healers are generally supposed to be mobile. Hence why the current healers all have at least one major DOT - it is so they can be doing damage no matter where they are on the battle field. A melee healer goes against this concept. So if the melee healer has to be mobile on a fight (as in most fights) but they have to be in melee range to DPS, their DPS is going to be dramatically worse than any other healer. So if you compensate that by greatly upping their DPS, you're making them imbalanced in another way.

What it simply comes down to is: tanks are melee, healers are ranged, DPS can be either. I would seriously bet money against there ever being any deviation from this core mold.

Melee healers are fine if you're a game built to support that. This game does not.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

HenryEx posted:

Midgardsormr, but you can't /beckon him. The wind-up dragonets and Ohl Deeh mounts will sit on your shoulder, I think.

SonicRulez posted:

It's that one, Khloe, and Y'shtola 2 that all confound me. I think Koji has a lot of funny stuff, but that just comes so far out of left field and not in an endearing way.

Agreed 100%.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

HenryEx posted:

But not gonna lie, i'd rather take my previous 50% berserk with 5 secs of disable than the current boring 30% buff. And i dearly miss Bloodbath + Overpower.

Actually, the thing that makes you unable to do anything for 5 seconds is what's boring.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

HenryEx posted:

Also opo-opo, nutkin, owlet, gaelikitten, lesser panda, and hunting hawk. Some others like the bluebird and parrot will sit on your shoulder, but only when they decide to.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well, I guess that's everything from ARR wrapped up, except for the missing Scions and Ilberd.

No political intrigue, I guess. But hey. DRAGONS.

This is the first time I've felt underwhelmed by the story, but I understand there's only so much you can do with a fugitive storyline in a game like this. It is what it is.

I expected Alianne to be one of the traitors, or dead though. Color that a pleasant surprise.

Drop me a hint where you're at? (Spoilered quest name will do just fine.) Between your previous progress and your mentioning that you'd started levelling DRK, I have no idea where you're at now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Wind-Up Garuda rests on your shoulder at times, too, because the giant bird lady of violence secretly just wants love.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Mordiceius posted:

Ranged tanks, obviously, since most enemies do their damage as melee attacks. A ranged tank would completely nullify that, there is not a way to make that work and be on the same level as the other tanks. Yet, I've still seen people call for it.
I will mitigate damage by having abilities that let me kite bosses around. Maybe now monks will appreciate having wind tackle.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
If there is a blue mage there might be a hook for a class trainer in the lore book that would own. During the scions exile it says that Coultenant spent the entire time studying a new magical art from Thavnair and he is busy incorporating it into his current techniques.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Ranged tanks would be absolutely fine, though. Obviously, you'd be in melee range most of the time, but the fact that your attacks are ranged would occasionally be useful while offtanking, on some bosses like the magitek gunship in keeper of the lake, and while soloing.

Melee healers would also work perfectly fine. If there are mechanics that require you to run away from the boss, you're not doing any damage obviously, but I don't think current healers are doing much dps while kiting black holes or whatever either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mordiceius posted:

This game is just not built to support the idea of a melee healer. Melee healers (and ranged tanks) completely break the game as a whole.

As for melee healers - healers are generally supposed to be mobile. Hence why the current healers all have at least one major DOT - it is so they can be doing damage no matter where they are on the battle field. A melee healer goes against this concept. So if the melee healer has to be mobile on a fight (as in most fights) but they have to be in melee range to DPS, their DPS is going to be dramatically worse than any other healer. So if you compensate that by greatly upping their DPS, you're making them imbalanced in another way.

What it simply comes down to is: tanks are melee, healers are ranged, DPS can be either. I would seriously bet money against there ever being any deviation from this core mold.

Melee healers are fine if you're a game built to support that. This game does not.

There is literally no reason they cannot do either of these things. It is just a matter of if they can be assed to devote the resources to it. I won't fault them if they choose not to, but the question wasn't what would be the easiest jobs to implement for the dev team (another ranged healer and another whatever the hell war counts as now), it was what job do I want implemented. I want them to put the work in. It would probably be an underplayed job but I would love it and being underplayed hasn't led to them deleting machinist yet, much to my chagrin.