Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

moush posted:

I thought people complained that there wasn't enough good removal in standard? Now the removal is too good?

The removal is stapled to a creature so it kinda perpetuates the problem, i.e. creature's raging valueboner has become too much for removal to contain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If the removal is stapled to a creature it's not really creature removal

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

If the removal is stapled to a creature it's not really creature removal

But it is able to be eternalised with Scarab God!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tubgoat posted:

But it is able to be eternalised with Scarab God!

That's probably just The Deck after energy is banned out, isn't it?

Draft and Standard are so bad that it drove me to play Warhammer 40k. I ended up loving it, not entirely convinced it's not Stockholm syndrome.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

Draft and Standard are so bad that it drove me to play Warhammer 40k. I ended up loving it, not entirely convinced it's not Stockholm syndrome.

Do not leave game for even more bad game

Or at least look up how much move of a fuckup company GW is compared to WotC before you dive in

Also yeah if Scarab God isn't preemptively banned it seems likely to probably dominate

Which I would be close to fine with because Scarab God owns

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

It's got me completely addicted to Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire, I even painted my first warband last night. I sold standard staples to buy all my paints and the Ork expansion and I still have money left over in store credit.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you gotta play games workshop please play blood bowl

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

if you gotta play games workshop please play blood bowl

I wanted to and asked both big shops in the area and it's completely dead here.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
There's actually not a simple answer to which of Warhammer and Magic are worse, because both are garbage in different ways

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The worst thing you could ever do in life is enjoy something that's imperfect.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TwistedNails posted:

It's got me completely addicted to Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire, I even painted my first warband last night. I sold standard staples to buy all my paints and the Ork expansion and I still have money left over in store credit.

Actually yeah, Shadespire got me into 40k proper. Shadespire is a combination card/boardgame and until then I refused to give GW money, but that game is so much fun and cheap. GW's new CEO is much better at realizing people care about the rules rather than throwing dice at each other's pretty models, so TOs are selling out tournaments instead of players not playing because they haven't gotten a codex (rules) update in four years. They're still all about that profit, but just as much as WotC is instead of being cartoonishly greedy (but maybe that's the same thing). Charging too much for plastic or cardboard is the same deal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LifeLynx posted:

Seems bad vs Hazoret.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
That Chupacabara rant was awesome.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which I would be close to fine with because Scarab God owns

I have to really struggle to remember the upkeep effect because the activated ability plus unkillable already feels insanely unfair. The drain and scry is gravy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I have to really struggle to remember the upkeep effect because the activated ability plus unkillable already feels insanely unfair. The drain and scry is gravy.

Havengul Lich was one of my favorite cards that never saw any time in the sun so I'm glad it transformed into a beetle to have it's revenge on standard

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Havengul Lich was one of my favorite cards that never saw any time in the sun so I'm glad it transformed into a beetle to have it's revenge on standard

That card was super fun in the Heartless Summoning deck with Perilous Myr and Solemn Simulacrum and Phyrexian Metamorph and Rune-Scarred Demon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

That card was super fun in the Heartless Summoning deck with Perilous Myr and Solemn Simulacrum and Phyrexian Metamorph and Rune-Scarred Demon.

It was also not a very good deck vs. Delver

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

moush posted:

I thought people complained that there wasn't enough good removal in standard? Now the removal is too good?

You need more than one good kill spell for removal to be good. Otherwise one kind of deck gets a monopoly on a central component of the play-counterplay element of a two-player game. Like only one person gets draw 2 in Uno.

Also it prioritizes creatures that do well against it. What do you loving know, it's what Temur Energy already loving uses. Chup gets everything harnessed lightning already did, plus that cool new 9-drop dino.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

So you’re saying Chupacabra should be a zombie so the scry ability is relevant even when it’s not eternalized by Scarab God?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So the red Snapcaster is going to be really good right?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

So you’re saying Chupacabra should be a zombie so the scry ability is relevant even when it’s not eternalized by Scarab God?

If you want a picture of the future of magic, picture an eternalized goatsucker stomping on your guys... Forever.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

DangerDongs posted:

even if it doesn't catch on in eternal formats, i bet it does some cool poo poo in mono red edh decks

i could see it not matter in standard at all, and probably sitting in sideboards in other formats

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DangerDongs posted:

Sideboard maybe? Idk, maybe nowadays there are enough worthwhile instants and sorceries in the good decks that one or two maindeck makes sense.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Energy has ~7 good targets, Ramunap closer to 10.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DangerDongs posted:

Its something that really needs to be played to get a feel. Standard? Does mono red run this? Probably not. Modern? Seems like it could get some value but then again the lack of flash really, really hurts.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was also not a very good deck vs. Delver

actually it was fine vs delver, it just lost hard to control. Also Wolf-run Ramp was more consistent

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If they nerf Temur and don't hit Mono red at all, which they are probably stupid enough to do, this card is going to be crucial for the mirror.
They need to ban Ramunap ruins. An aggro deck shouldn't have that much reach with its lands.

Also if Attune gets banned there is a good chance that B/R/x list will start floating around with Glory-B, Ghonti, Glint-sleeves, and these will run pushes, abrades, and vraska's, so I think Red Snappy is going to shine in this up coming format. The only way it doesn't is if the top decks are control or tribal decks that are so linear they don't have room for removal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Its something that really needs to be played to get a feel. Standard? Does mono red run this? Probably not. Modern? Seems like it could get some value but then again the lack of flash really, really hurts.

IDK how you can play a card that is so dependent on what your opponent is playing in standard..

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

IDK how you can play a card that is so dependent on what your opponent is playing in standard..

Well there are sideboards, and also that the top two decks in Standard run lots of removal and would be hurt by their own removal.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Or any format really. The more I look at it the more down I get on it. If the exile mechanic was more like gonti it would be more playable. As a bad backwards snapcaster? Not so much.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

Well there are sideboards, and also that the top two decks in Standard run lots of removal and would be hurt by their own removal.

Are there cards you'd prefer in your sideboard over a value piker, though?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If I was playing Mono-red, then no.

Also calling it a value-piker is kind of stupid.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I always find it odd when they print nearly-strictly-better cards close together, but somehow it didn't strike me until now that these are both in the same set:

:thunk:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nibble posted:

I always find it odd when they print nearly-strictly-better cards close together, but somehow it didn't strike me until now that these are both in the same set:

recentspellsVSrecentcreatures.png

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Nibble posted:

Uh Chubacabra is not "strictly better" because Impale lets you hit your own creature in case you need to for reasons. :colbert:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

Can't wait to win by casting my opp's Approaches.

How they get in the graveyard, I have my ways. :getin:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Can't wait to win by casting my opp's Approaches.

How they get in the graveyard, I have my ways. :getin:

you might want to reread Approach

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

gently caress this dumb game

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean just make their Approach the one you cast first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

mcmagic posted:

So what are we thinking in Red? Fanatical Firebrand or Soul Scar Mage?

I'll test Fiebrand because I like his ability to ping off a Glint-sleeve siphoner or other 1 HP creatures, but the fact that he has totap for that makes him seem bad to me, even in Standard. Soul-Scar, on the other hand, helps getting rid of hazoret and/or weakening other fatties so I am still leaning towards him.