Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

The ending should have been a bit of a clue. Seriously, End of Evangelion takes a lot from the final chapters of the Devilman manga.

i havent finished it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wielder posted:

There are several interesting quotes on the subject throughout this interview:

http://devilman.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Painocus/Interview_between_Nagai_and_Hideaki_Anno

hah thats a very enjoyable interview, so old school otaku!

i really do wish there was a translation of Harenchi Gakuen out there though, even if the vast majority of it is rather standard i would like the see the later parts

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Quick derail: how are the Evangelion movies that were made recently? I think they are four of them, supposed to be a remake of the series? Are they good in any way? I'm always wary of remake, especially for something like Evangelion, which from what I understood had so much of it's atmosphere and themes born from the mess that was the production. I feared when hearing about the remakes a few years ago that they would clean it up in a calculated way that could remove the soul of the original serie.

How did it turn out? I wouldn't mind giving it a watch at some point.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there's 3 out. 1 is just a part of the show with better visuals. near the end of 2 it starts diverging and 3 is totally different. 4 is not out yet, and who knows if it ever will be. they're great and a totally separate thing. they don't 'clean up' the series at all and are totally worth watching.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StarMinstrel posted:

Quick derail: how are the Evangelion movies that were made recently? I think they are four of them, supposed to be a remake of the series? Are they good in any way? I'm always wary of remake, especially for something like Evangelion, which from what I understood had so much of it's atmosphere and themes born from the mess that was the production. I feared when hearing about the remakes a few years ago that they would clean it up in a calculated way that could remove the soul of the original serie.

At the very minimum, they're fascinating. I can't tell you whether they're good because so much hinges on what happens on the 4th one and how it colors the events of the previous movies, but I'm hopeful. Watch the TV series first if you haven't, though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

StarMinstrel posted:

First one is pretty much can exact remake of the first few eps. The second one is where it does its own thing and strays pretty far from the original. They're interesting and crazy but I won't have a full opinion on them until they're totally complete. As the ending is always where Eva shines.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also devilman crybaby rules. It has so much style and is such an homage to ultraviolet anime and 70's adult animation. It's nice to have an anime where it feels like I'm going to get in trouble for watching it.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Thanks for the recommendations. Gonna check out Evangelion this month probably considering them. And yeah, I saw the original show about 10 years ago.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Just heard about this a few hours ago it totally snuck up on me and then halfway through the first episode I recognized that it was by Masaaki Yuasa and was like what the hell? I know he's done some very notable things like mind games, tatami galaxy, and ping pong but the first thing I saw that he did was kemonozume so that's always the first thing in my mind. The guy that did kemonozume has a netflix original series, wow.

Speaking of of the Evangelion rebuild those are my favorite movies. The first two they just took the series cut out the worst stuff made the remainder better added a poo poo ton of world building which lead to a hundred more questions and overall it was a huge improvement. The third movie was like, eh, but I appreciate that they imply End of Evangelion actually happened in the interim, more or less, instead of writing it away completely like "uh yeah, we were on drugs when we did that" *shuffles away slowly*

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Rebuild 4.0 is anno loving off to do live action instead.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On the Rebuild talk, 1.11 and 2.22 are two of my favorite anime movies, but 3 is one of my most hated

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shin Godzilla is Rebuild 4.0

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just binged through all of this. Loved the heck out of it. The violence, the gore, the sex. Not normally a fan of Yuasa's style but it worked really well with all of that.

Also a good part of the core cast being queer is loving awesome.

8.8/10

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

MonsterEnvy posted:

Two of them backstabbed them. One of them (the quiet beatboxing one.) recognized Kakun's Glasses on Miko's stuff and assumed she killed him, which is what appears to have led to his betrayal. (I assume he was actually just killed by a demon at the Sabbath.)

This is unlikely. His half consumed hand is shown in miko’s proximity well into her turn to devillady. If he had been eaten at sabbath I think it wouldn’t have waited so long to show some of his corpse

Condiv fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 7, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

drrockso20 posted:

On the Rebuild talk, 1.11 and 2.22 are two of my favorite anime movies, but 3 is one of my most hated
:agreed: The first two are decent and the third one is garbage

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

wielder posted:

Frankly, I thought this was a great watch. If I had to give a rating to Devilman Crybaby, it would be about 8/10. Admittedly, the pacing might have benefitted from an extra episode or two to make the flow feel natural. I think that much is hard to deny. Why did they end up with just ten episodes though? That's such a strange number for an anime production.

Like Darth Walrus mentioned, I would argue this adaptation was all about being true to the core underlying themes of Devilman. Obviously, I mean the themes as interpreted by Masaaki Yuasa himself since this anime reflects his personal style and vision quite strongly, including his own ideas about psychosexuality and the relationship between humans and demons as viewed through a surrealist perspective. His goal wasn't to provide an extremely literal animated version of every single panel from the manga.

In short, we did get to see the original ending of Devilman and the same general framework with some of the same key events but with lots of individual modifications to the narrative along the way.

Which is fine by me. I don't think you hire someone as creative as Masaaki Yuasa to direct a project without giving him the freedom to convey his feelings and thoughts about Devilman. Said freedom brings the potential for both great and not-so-great decisions that will not be equally appreciated by everyone in the audience, yet that is precisely how a lot of artistic content works in this world.

The specific changes vary in terms of concept and execution quality, yet I would argue most of them worked for me. I had no problems with Ryo's and Akira's backstory here, at least not once they decided to focus on it. I wasn't too convinced by what they tried to do with Jinmen (the turtle) in the fourth episode, but appreciated that they gave Silene and Kaim a little more to do here than in the Devilman manga before their fight. Which I thought was also decently adapted despite not being too long.

I am in special disagreement with Davincie about the added sports content being a bad thing. On the contrary, I had a lot of questions about that approach at the start of the anime, yet by the end it all made sense to me once they had taken the metaphor to its logical outcome and tied it to the story's conclusion.

Furthermore, I think Miki's portrayal was an overall improvement here in terms of giving the girl a greater role and additional relevance to the themes, despite admitting that I do tend to prefer her fiery attitude from the manga. To be clear about this: Miki was more of a comedic relief character in the original manga until the unforgettable final sequence, which I would add was also one of the strongest episodes of the adaptation.

I was indifferent to the reporter. He wasn't necessary, but I think he fit right in. Oh, I also liked this version of Miko.

Mind you, I can understand why someone who just wanted a straightforward adaptation might not feel satisfied with the results. But for me it's entirely possible to appreciate the original manga and this version on their own terms. After all, we get to enjoy more content that way and see different takes on the subject matter. Which Go Nagai seems to be totally fine with, according to the interviews he's given about the project.

A very good post.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Condiv posted:

This is unlikely. His half consumed hand is shown in miko’s proximity well into her turn to devillady. If he had been eaten at sabbath I think it wouldn’t have waited so long to show some of his corpse
About Miko (you shouldn't read this until you at episode9), pretty sure that if she didn't kill him, he died during the sabbat and she feel guilt about it like the Koda. It seems to me that the guilt of transformation or survival is one things that makes devilman... Also I don't get the transformation of Taro? Is it because of the cat or because he was impress by Kado rampage. You can notice a change of appearance between episode 6 and 7, I didn't much of it at first but it's obvious he is possess by episode 7.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 7, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CrashScreen posted:

Well, this made me want to read the manga, but I've also heard that a lot of it is redrawn inconsistently and without charm? Are there multiple versions floating about or is the English version restricted to one of them? I'd honestly like to read the original version if possible.

The original manga is actually being (re?) released in English within the next couple months.

https://www.amazon.com/Devilman-Classic-Collection-Vol-1/dp/162692757X

It’s a new translation as well.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The sports/relay allegory was fine, but they didn't need to show the handoff scene 3 times in a row in the last episode, and the numerous times throughout. Same with the cat flashback, like, we got it, we've memorized the scene by now, please move on.

Neato
Mar 2, 2016

As someone who hasn't looked at any devilman stuff before i thought it was pretty good, it definitely falls off in the second half and kinda peters out in the end, but loved the animation and music and a lot of the direction, maybe could have gone without as much titties, at least in the serious tragic scenes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Feels like it could have used a few more episodes.

Also Jinmen was not as strong as he is in other adaptions. I feel the scene was weakened by Ryo's presence there.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
:golfclap: Very nice.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
This is one of the most stylistically bizarre animes I've ever seen, it's absolutely bizarre and I love it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I saw an article online that said it's one of the top streaming series this month, hopefully its success will bring Devilman Lady (or motherfucking GUYVER I hope I can see the end of that story sometime!)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Berserk will finish before The Guyver does.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Having never heard of Devilman before and finishing it in one sitting, holy poo poo I was not expecting that kind of ride. By the time episode 9 finished, I was so emotionally drained that the final episode seemed more like an epilogue/wrap up than anything.

My biggest criticism would be how pitch black most of the action scenes were made it difficult to follow, but the :catdrugs: ultraviolence made up for it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lmao

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Avynte posted:

Having never heard of Devilman before and finishing it in one sitting, holy poo poo I was not expecting that kind of ride. By the time episode 9 finished, I was so emotionally drained that the final episode seemed more like an epilogue/wrap up than anything.

My biggest criticism would be how pitch black most of the action scenes were made it difficult to follow, but the :catdrugs: ultraviolence made up for it.

DEFINITELY watch the two OVAs if you enjoyed this. English or Japanese, it doesn't matter.

Even if the movie is so-so I love the end theme of Apocalypse of Devilman. It fits the mood just right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnG1D2Oz9Lk

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So extremely dumb question, but was it ever established why any particular individual would end up fused with a demon? Sometimes it seemed like it required really elaborate blood rituals, but other times it seemed like you could just be unlucky.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

I knew Ed was a devil.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I completely failed to realize that the hip hop kids were meant to be a stand-in for the manga's delinquents, until the last few episodes. In my defense, at that point I also was not sure how far the series would go with just 10 episodes. And boy did they sure go there. :staredog:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This show is beautiful

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Having seen this makes me wonder how Mazinger Z Z-Hen turned out, I should maybe watch that. I saw the first couple episodes but I ended up getting distracted or something. Don't remember. I'm not really too familiar with Go Nagai stuff, but it's easy to see his influences on everything else.

Guyver seems like a real obvious knock-off of Devilman now..

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The little post credit scene with akira and Miki riding together on the motorcycle was awesome and that could have been a full 30 minute episode for me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Having seen this makes me wonder how Mazinger Z Z-Hen turned out, I should maybe watch that. I saw the first couple episodes but I ended up getting distracted or something. Don't remember. I'm not really too familiar with Go Nagai stuff, but it's easy to see his influences on everything else.

Guyver seems like a real obvious knock-off of Devilman now..

Zetman, as well. Not that I was all that fond of it to begin with.

There are probably other shows / comics like that too, and if anyone wants to suggest any I'm all ears.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
That was quite an ending.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

The old anime is almost completely different and has a happy ending.

The 60's one, not the OAV

70s, not 60s.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Just wanna say the most incredibly viscerally uncomfortable thing in this show for me was the bit with the kid munching on the mom which was 0% graphic and his design was really cute so it was very cool, how that happened.

Also criticizing the realism of the portrayal of demonic government infiltration is stupid as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I quite enjoyed when the demons were shown on the battleship getting ready to shoot off some nukes cause they just cut from the one human being murdered and confused to the rest of the naval officers in their uniforms cheering in unison. It was so doofy and campy then it goes to Taro munching on mom.

• Locked thread