Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That show wasn't aimed at kids, it was aimed at the Robot Chicken crowd.

I got news for u man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Classic Kenobi

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

It's not really a theory. In early drafts they really were called Shatnerians, but Lucas changed it because that was clearly too on-the-nose.

It's a joke based on the rivalry between the two series. That's why the villains in Episode I are the Federation, and they have bridges like this:

Well done, Lucas

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just finished Rogue One, which honestly took me three tries to get through.

The third try was the charm though, third act was good! Krennick's death was dare I say great! The Vader/Leia ending was dumb though.

My recommendation: Start the movie from Krennick grovelling to Vader. Resist the urge to turn it off when Vader makes a dad joke. You'll miss basically nothing.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Just finished Rogue One, which honestly took me three tries to get through.

The third try was the charm though, third act was good! Krennick's death was dare I say great! The Vader/Leia ending was dumb though.

My recommendation: Start the movie from Krennick grovelling to Vader. Resist the urge to turn it off when Vader makes a dad joke. You'll miss basically nothing.

vader always makes a dad joke after choking people i don't know why viewers get upset at this

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know. His suit actor kinda sucks though, compared to Prowse, and his body looks all wrong.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I enjoyed all of Rouge 1.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It got better when I turned on subtitles as well cause I could barely hear what anyone was saying

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My favorite thing about the opening crawl to Episode 1 is that it starts with the words THE PHANTOM MENACE and everyone apparently assumed the details of the trade dispute were actually the most important thing to follow instead of them possibly being a misdirect due to some kind of other menace?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sheev turned to the dark side because he just wanted to tend his garden and retire in peace but Dennis the Menace kept loving it up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It got better when I turned on subtitles as well cause I could barely hear what anyone was saying

Audio mixing seems to suck a lot now on home releases, I have to jack the audio way up to hear anyone in anything. It's really annoying!

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

Audio mixing seems to suck a lot now on home releases, I have to jack the audio way up to hear anyone in anything. It's really annoying!

In many cases the sound in streaming movies is the 5.1 mix. If you’re listening through two stereo or tv speakers you lose that center channel which a lot of voices are mixed to.

EugeneDebsWasCool fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 7, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm just listening through my TV speakers, gently caress you I'm not buying a drat stereo system

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RLM is wrong. He Vader poo poo at the end is the best part of Rogue One, and was the best part of the Disney stuff until the finale of TLJ.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Vader poo poo at the end of Rogue One is terrible and detracts from the movie, but it's necessary because it's the part that audiences actually clap and cheer for.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace is a movie about a local community overcoming racial and cultural differences and joining together to throw off the yoke of capitalist oppression, after an appeal to the distant, bloated, sluggish, and corrupt political institutions of the national government prove constitutionally incapable of helping them. This isn't even some creatively redemptive Marxist interpretation, it's just plain what the movie depicts. It's a good movie with a clear and perennially relevant message that's actually, truly about something besides incestuous franchise navel-gazing and faux, corporate-approved "iconoclasm" possessing no substantial philosophical content or anything else truly challenging to the established neoliberal order.

There's also a persistent and well-integrated theme of symbiosis and cooperation, qualities which are stated to be a fundamental part of the human condition by way of the smallest unit of our organism, the biology of which is subversively reinterpreted as an expression of the divine within all of us. Again, this is something that's actually, truly subversive and challenging--the idea that the pure, ethereal world of spirit and the messy, material world of biology are both equally valid emanations of an underlying truth pointing to God. The truth of its subversive nature is manifest, in the way viewers object by pointing to Yoda's statement about "crude matter" in opposition to "luminous being," a statement which possesses some truth but not the whole truth, lest the beauty and value of the natural world be rendered inherently profane. Think about it: Viewers are literally being asked by the film to revere unicellular bacteria as, in a sense, our gods--beings greater than we are, our progenitors, possessed by nature of a more direct link to the primordial force of life. It's a beautiful and shockingly logical notion, yet people instinctively recoil from it. It's fascinating. It's unique. It's impossibly idiosyncratic. It's something that no one else making the movie would have ever thought of in a million years. It's something that's iconoclastic by virtue of the way it overturns viewers' faulty but ingrained philosophical notions about reality, rather than by virtue of mechanistic plot deviations and facile statements about creative destruction and renewal that don't amount to anything that actually is new in a meaningful sense.

The Phantom Menace, love it or hate it, is a movie with meat on it, with interesting ideas, with genuinely challenging concepts--ideas and concepts that can actually be discussed and debated at length, on a level beyond "I like it" or "I don't like it." It's a good and consequential film.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 7, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

RLM is wrong. He Vader poo poo at the end is the best part of Rogue One, and was the best part of the Disney stuff until the finale of TLJ.

:agreed:

I don't understand how anyone could seriously dislike the Vader hallway massacre.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FuturePastNow posted:

The Vader poo poo at the end of Rogue One is terrible and detracts from the movie, but it's necessary because it's the part that audiences actually clap and cheer for.

It makes A New Hope even better though because when that one rebel is like "WE'RE ON A DIPLOMATIC MISSION" yeah sorry rebel guy Darth Vader just woke up and had to leave his castle for all this death star bullshit and now this pissant's acting like they're on a diplomatic mission when Vader literally saw the guy run off with the plans onto that ship like two minutes ago? No wonder he just cold cracks the dude's neck. :laffo:

AndyElusive posted:

:agreed:

I don't understand how anyone could seriously dislike the Vader hallway massacre.

:same:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 7, 2018

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I don't hate the Vader stuff in R1, but I was definitely rolling my eyes at it in the theater. It just feels too much like pandering and outright fan service: "Here you go, here's Vader being cool and badass. Just like you always wanted!"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Sheev turned to the dark side because he just wanted to tend his garden and retire in peace but Dennis the Menace kept loving it up

Sheev was Dennis the Menace.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FuturePastNow posted:

It’s all that ever really mattered in a modern Star Wars film that had Darth Vader in it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The Vader stuff was great in R1 because it revealed the difference between someone like Krennic (a career-minded idiot) and the real movers and shakers in the Empire (literal evil space wizards), and also showed the scale difference between the Rogue 1 team and the others in the story. I also really liked how it recontextualized ANH and explained Vader's uncharacteristic 'hot' fury. It's the best of the Disney films.

Also, Diego Luna is handsome.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ain't nothin' wrong with a bit of fanservice every now and then. I'm not made of stone; I, too, enjoy scenes of characters I recognize involved in cool-looking activities.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

vader massacre was good you freakin idiots

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The epilogue of Rogue One actually really sucks and it would be a stronger movie without Vader at all. The most effective part is actually the first third where the movie is at its unremitting darkest. Everything from the hollowed-out holy city to Saw Guererra's diseased physicality is wonderfully nightmarish.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
For the retards who keep asking why they can't just do hyperspace strike every time did it ever occur that in normal circumstances it could be extremely dangerous and unsafe to friendly ships and civilians in the vicinity? Not to mention wasting a very expensive vehicle when resourced are already thin as it is.

Jesus Christ I hate the internet so much

Top Gun fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 7, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Top Gun posted:

For the retards who keep asking why they can't just do hyperspace strike every time did it ever occur that in normal circumstances it could be extremely dangerous and unsafe to friendly ships and civilians in the vicinity? Not to mention wasting a very expensive vehicle when resourced are already thin as it is.

Jesus Christ I hate the internet so much

1) Ableist
2) They had a bunch of capital ships that got inevitably destroyed when running out of gas one by one that they left captains to die in anyway

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vader in R1 chasing down the rebels through the hallway just send so nonchalant and not actually giving a gently caress about the whole thing, just kind of slowly walking forward while the guy with the actual Death Star plans stands at the door yelling far too long before thinking to pass the disk through or getting killed

DV just kind of meanders on down at a leisurely pace, slowly escalating in force tricks he could have just used in the first place to get the disk. So my with scene is want to have it both ways. He's an unstoppable monster no one can escape oh but also our plucky rebels escape (in a way that makes him look vaguely incompetent)

And the CG Leia is so bad. I actually didn't mind the cg Tarkin, even though he didn't look convincing, I thought it worked for the character to be a little uncanny.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

What’s on the disk?

Hope. A New Hope. :iamafag:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

but also our plucky rebels escape (in a way that makes him look vaguely incompetent)

Well no, he chases down all those people later and murders them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe that guy really did think they were on a diplomatic mission. Like he was just asleep on the ship when it took off and missed the whole battle and got woken up and some guy desperately tries to hand him a disk through a door and Darth Vader is there.

Here's thinking to himself "what the gently caress, I'm on senator Organa's ship with his daughter, this is a diplomatic mission, what the gently caress is going on?"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mulva posted:

Well no, he chases down all those people later and murders them.

I wonder how since hyperspace tracking doesn't exist till 30 years later

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Vader in R1 chasing down the rebels through the hallway just send so nonchalant and not actually giving a gently caress about the whole thing, just kind of slowly walking forward while the guy with the actual Death Star plans stands at the door yelling far too long before thinking to pass the disk through or getting killed

DV just kind of meanders on down at a leisurely pace, slowly escalating in force tricks he could have just used in the first place to get the disk. So my with scene is want to have it both ways. He's an unstoppable monster no one can escape oh but also our plucky rebels escape (in a way that makes him look vaguely incompetent)

And the CG Leia is so bad. I actually didn't mind the cg Tarkin, even though he didn't look convincing, I thought it worked for the character to be a little uncanny.

I don't know what's wrong with my eyes because while I saw that Tarkin was CGI immediately, I still only see Leia as CGI because I know that Carrie Fisher isn't that young.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I assumed Carrie Fisher was found footage, not cgi. She looked real, but with a weird 70s filter

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I wonder how since hyperspace tracking doesn't exist till 30 years later

Leia heads straight back towards Alderaan, so I imagine they just went that way but faster. Amazingly enough maybe "Home" shouldn't be your first move on a super stealthy spy mission.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mulva posted:

Leia heads straight back towards Alderaan, so I imagine they just went that way but faster. Amazingly enough maybe "Home" shouldn't be your first move on a super stealthy spy mission.

I wonder how they ended up at Tattooine

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Because she was going to Obi-Wan. This is not a mystery.

I for one always love it when movies these days do deaging of old actors and recreate the dead ones. I don't care at all that it's not perfect, the novelty of it still makes me tremendously happy. I actually think Tarkin looks pretty good, it's the voice more than anything that's a bit off.

Anyway, I've loved this since Tron Legacy (the deaging in X-Men 3 doesn't hold up) and hope they keep doing it forever with everybody.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

1) Ableist
2) They had a bunch of capital ships that got inevitably destroyed when running out of gas one by one that they left captains to die in anyway

Those got destroyed immediately when they ran out of gas and fell into range of the FO guns. Holdo only manages to do it because the FO guns are trained on the transports.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cnut the Great posted:

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace is a movie about a local community overcoming racial and cultural differences and joining together to throw off the yoke of capitalist oppression, after an appeal to the distant, bloated, sluggish, and corrupt political institutions of the national government prove constitutionally incapable of helping them.

And all while doing so, unwittingly serve the interests and goals of a greater evil.

Hansen85 posted:

I don't hate the Vader stuff in R1, but I was definitely rolling my eyes at it in the theater. It just feels too much like pandering and outright fan service: "Here you go, here's Vader being cool and badass. Just like you always wanted!"

I did want it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ABC save up for a sound bar or something.