Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

i'm sure he's been keeping a running tally

if he actually has, then gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Zaodai posted:

You could also consider it being that you destroy their means to make war on a planetary scale. It's going to require taking out the warriors, that's for sure, and even if you imagine they'll use CapCon level Warcrimes I'm not sure how they plan to pull that off. But I do find it interesting that you consider "everyone in the faction trying to genocide us is reduced to farming now" is actually worse than "civilians under occupation being nuked out of spite".

If the Amaris line has proven anything, it's that the straightforward answer for what you think they're going to do probably isn't what they're actually going to do. Oribtal strikes are already out since he said that's why he wouldn't use jump torpedos. Virus bombs just kill everybody. Straight scorched earth warfare would get them crushed before they made it through two Clans at BEST. Maybe the Wolverines clued him in on how Scientists are treated in the Clan worlds and he's hoping to arrange a Society-esque uprising. If you blow up the mech factories and the only people who understand what a factory even is are gone because they hate the Warrior caste, them bam, you get your agrarian society. I honestly don't know how they're going to do it, but from the section you quoted I read far more into the "I’m trusting you to keep the Wolverines’ desires in check.” part of that line than reducing them to being an agrarian society as a warcrime. I personally don't consider the end goal itself a war crime at all depending on how you get there, but there isn't really an objective measure for that.

How exactly do you propose a 31st century society being reduced to subsistence farming, and the massive loss of technology, infrastructure, and knowledge that would be required for this, to undergo that change without the vast majority of that society dying in the process? Do you think that food production is already done with just the laborer caste working the land with their bare hands? Like, I legitimately don't understand how you can read that as "oh we'll just destroy everything they need for a technological society but the civilians will be fine I promise!" instead of as a euphemism for "bombing them back to the stone age." I mean, I'm morally certain here that they don't mean "we're going to occupy the homeworlds, disarm them, and force everyone to do farming or something."

Imagine whatever apocalyptic scenario you like happening tomorrow, and ask: how many people do you know that would be capable of successfully growing their own food or caring for their own livestock? It's a pretty low number. Now imagine how much lower that number would be in a society with even more advanced technology once that technology can no longer be maintained. Especially a society where some worlds are vastly less self-sufficient than others. We're not talking disarmament, we're talking something like the Holodomor or the Bengal Famine, here.

I mean I'm not saying that the Clans aren't also genocidal in this timeline but I can't read it as anything other than the NRWR trying to have it both ways - pretending to have some kind of standard, but dooming most of their enemy to mass starvation anyway.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's not really a way, in BattleTech, to reduce a civilization past the point it can wage war without functionally destroying that civilization. You'd have to destroy or otherwise render inoperable every single vehicle of any stripe, destroy or confiscate most industrial scale fertilizers, and destroy or confiscate most industrial scale pesticides (if you're being actually serious about it; that poo poo's all nerve agents).

If you think that removing all that from the Homeworlds would leave them capable of supporting life it'd be pretty loving hard.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Maybe the Clan society will flourish after it's no longer shackled to using most of its resources on a system based on jerking off?

Sair
May 11, 2007

You're right, they should just nuke the Clan homeworlds to ash.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Strobe posted:

There's not really a way, in BattleTech, to reduce a civilization past the point it can wage war without functionally destroying that civilization. You'd have to destroy or otherwise render inoperable every single vehicle of any stripe, destroy or confiscate most industrial scale fertilizers, and destroy or confiscate most industrial scale pesticides (if you're being actually serious about it; that poo poo's all nerve agents).

If you think that removing all that from the Homeworlds would leave them capable of supporting life it'd be pretty loving hard.

This is what I've been trying to get at. Not to mention you'd have to kill anyone with any decent experience in the sciences, destroy texts (or computers/data), and so on.

It would not be a pleasant thing.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 7, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm suggesting that Battletech runs on magic bullshit at its core, most of the people in the Sphere are already literal dirt-farming peasants, and that between the two it wouldn't take anything more than PTN saying that they didn't all die because maaagically they had the means to feed themselves without their war machines to actually accomplish that goal without it being the holocaust. Even if it did, I still wouldn't put it on the same level as nuking civilians resisting occupation when it comes to warcrimes.

We already accept a million different things about the setting that don't work like the real world. They're already using magical bullshit tech to even make the strike in the first place. Accepting one more thing not working exactly like real life shouldn't suddenly break the setting.

Not that I actually care if they all die, mind you. The Clans started this poo poo, so gently caress 'em. I just choose to believe (for the time being) that the intent of Amaris' words there was that he has a plan that doesn't involve starving out the Clan homeworlds, because if he wanted to kill everybody there are easier, faster ways he could use and is electing not to. Even in Warcrimes, the universe still runs on Battletech stupidity. Think about it, when the Death Commandos were trying to execute unarmed women and children in the Caballeros campaign, they actively failed to murder people they were trying to kill when they already had them under armed guard in buildings they had already rigged to explode and they could detonate. Why? Why would one of the most elite military units in the Inner Sphere, who are easily the most comfortable at murdering unarmed women and children without any qualms, handle their warcrime so poorly?

Because its a universe that runs on narrative magic, and the story said they didn't just detonate the bombs and kill everybody with no chance to be stopped.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Going in with only half a plan and without an exit strategy is very battletech.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Zaodai posted:

I'm suggesting that Battletech runs on magic bullshit at its core, most of the people in the Sphere are already literal dirt-farming peasants, and that between the two it wouldn't take anything more than PTN saying that they didn't all die because maaagically they had the means to feed themselves without their war machines to actually accomplish that goal without it being the holocaust. Even if it did, I still wouldn't put it on the same level as nuking civilians resisting occupation when it comes to warcrimes.

We already accept a million different things about the setting that don't work like the real world. They're already using magical bullshit tech to even make the strike in the first place. Accepting one more thing not working exactly like real life shouldn't suddenly break the setting.

Not that I actually care if they all die, mind you. The Clans started this poo poo, so gently caress 'em. I just choose to believe (for the time being) that the intent of Amaris' words there was that he has a plan that doesn't involve starving out the Clan homeworlds, because if he wanted to kill everybody there are easier, faster ways he could use and is electing not to. Even in Warcrimes, the universe still runs on Battletech stupidity. Think about it, when the Death Commandos were trying to execute unarmed women and children in the Caballeros campaign, they actively failed to murder people they were trying to kill when they already had them under armed guard in buildings they had already rigged to explode and they could detonate. Why? Why would one of the most elite military units in the Inner Sphere, who are easily the most comfortable at murdering unarmed women and children without any qualms, handle their warcrime so poorly?

Because its a universe that runs on narrative magic, and the story said they didn't just detonate the bombs and kill everybody with no chance to be stopped.

Out of respect for PTN, the work he has put in, and my desire to not poo poo up his thread too much more, I'm just going to say that I shouldn't have been surprised that something like this would be your response, and go on my merry way.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

amaris could have been lying

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fraction Jackson posted:

Out of respect for PTN, the work he has put in, and my desire to not poo poo up his thread too much more, I'm just going to say that I shouldn't have been surprised that something like this would be your response, and go on my merry way.

As the designated thread villain, I applaud the care you crafted this response with. It simultaneously takes cheap shots at me on a personal level, while implying any response I make is disrespecting PTN and the thread directly.

I don't even mean that sarcastically. Well played, sir. :golfclap:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fraction Jackson posted:

This is what I've been trying to get at. Not to mention you'd have to kill anyone with any decent experience in the sciences, destroy texts (or computers/data), and so on.

Or just blow up their shipyards and JumpShips.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Zaodai posted:

As the designated thread villain, I applaud the care you crafted this response with. It simultaneously takes cheap shots at me on a personal level, while implying any response I make is disrespecting PTN and the thread directly.

I don't even mean that sarcastically. Well played, sir. :golfclap:

My political science degree has to be good for something on at least rare occasions, right?

I have to admit you're a good sport.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Or just blow up their shipyards and JumpShips.

Except the Clans can rebuild those.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Technowolf posted:

Not if you bomb all the power plants and shoot all the scientists! :mil101:

But yeah I think Amaris is just saying he's not ordering the literal destruction of the Clan homeworld bioshperes and that a mission success isn't defined by killing literally every single clanner on those worlds. They're probably still expecting to bombard the city centers/military bases from orbit and just murder a whole lot of people in general. Not unlike the Widowmakers.

Free Rasalhague! :argh:

I gotta say though it really doesn't make a lot of sense to me to paint a whole faction with the brush of their 300 year dead nominal founder.

It'd be like judging everyone in France based on the actions of Louis the XIV.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 7, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

LEARN HOW TO JUMP
ANYWHERE IN THE
UNIVERSE

CLANS HATE HIM

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Technowolf posted:

Not if they don't have any germanium mines

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

paragon1 posted:

I gotta say though it really doesn't make a lot of sense to me to paint a whole faction with the brush of their 300 year dead nominal founder.

It'd be like judging everyone in France based on the actions of Louis the XIV.

Are you talking about the Clans or the Rimworlders? Because the Clans are pretty big on worshipping the very ground their 300-year-dead nominal founder walked on and seeking to emulate/avenge him (depending on which Kerensky you're talking about), so tarring them with his brush makes perfect sense to me.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I voted C in the hopes that the jump might end up being a little more 'Event Horizon' than 'Real Steel'. It's a big universe and a 'miss' could toss them all kinds of odd places.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

Not if they don't have any germanium mines

Now we must salt the earth so they cannot ever hope to grow geraniums! :hist101:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

It's a big universe and a 'miss' could toss them all kinds of odd places.

We do not speak of Far Country in these parts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

berryjon posted:

We do not speak of Far Country in these parts.

You must be new here.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

dis astranagant posted:

You must be new here.

Sorry! I'm tired, and I didn't think to turn it into a "Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas" pun. I'll try better next time. :)

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
c

i need closure

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Also, A

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

:golfclap: :five:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Fraction Jackson posted:

You have a point in that if this were the real world where we have to worry aboit political fallout affecting our own nation(s) when we go in with military strikes, yes. We can be REASONABLY ASSURED that Amaris' intent is not nation-building or winning hearts and minds with this ploy. That said, this is a thread filled with fictional stompy-bots, genetically engineered redneck cargo-cult samurai, a romance between a man and a woman and an office chair, a "Lyran" Mech reporter, and a near-literal Randy "Mecho Man" Savage, and a mission where Hogarth fought a ghost behemoth (replete with exploding boxes)

We saw Team Warcrimes with the incineration of the HPG, pretty sure the players had a mission or two that were, uhhhh, not strictly above board, so heading to take out a belligerant's warmaking capability is well within the scope of the thread. As mentioned earlier, there's easier ways to genocide the clans. As someone who hopefully has some kind of handle on PTN's GMing style, I really doubt he'd draw up a mission where the objectives are to turn your flamers and machine guns on as much of the civilian populace as possible. Will it suck for the Clanners? Yeah, for sure. Are warcrimes going to happen? Probably. But they aren't real, and the players are unlikely to be the direct cause of said warcrimes.

Even if you want to approach this from the perspective that "our participation bloodies our hands." PTN has stated that events can still happen without us choosing them, they just have a chance modifier attached. So those warcrimes could still happen (unless the Wolverines get counter-wiped out, which will probably be no less war-crimey). And EVEN THAT is a result of the thread's actions on prior missions allowing this to even be an option to have pursued. We're no less culpable by remaining on Andurien with King Dadlas or choosing zealous second-wave Clanners, simply because the primary reason Amaris' plan worked so beautifully was Goons executing it.

Tl;dr: fictional probable warcrimes doesn't get my hackles up because those are going to happen off-screen one way or the other. Also gently caress Clanners

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

mercenarynuker posted:

You have a point in that if this were the real world where we have to worry aboit political fallout affecting our own nation(s) when we go in with military strikes, yes. We can be REASONABLY ASSURED that Amaris' intent is not nation-building or winning hearts and minds with this ploy. That said, this is a thread filled with fictional stompy-bots, genetically engineered redneck cargo-cult samurai, a romance between a man and a woman and an office chair, a "Lyran" Mech reporter, and a near-literal Randy "Mecho Man" Savage, and a mission where Hogarth fought a ghost behemoth (replete with exploding boxes)

We saw Team Warcrimes with the incineration of the HPG, pretty sure the players had a mission or two that were, uhhhh, not strictly above board, so heading to take out a belligerant's warmaking capability is well within the scope of the thread. As mentioned earlier, there's easier ways to genocide the clans. As someone who hopefully has some kind of handle on PTN's GMing style, I really doubt he'd draw up a mission where the objectives are to turn your flamers and machine guns on as much of the civilian populace as possible. Will it suck for the Clanners? Yeah, for sure. Are warcrimes going to happen? Probably. But they aren't real, and the players are unlikely to be the direct cause of said warcrimes.

Even if you want to approach this from the perspective that "our participation bloodies our hands." PTN has stated that events can still happen without us choosing them, they just have a chance modifier attached. So those warcrimes could still happen (unless the Wolverines get counter-wiped out, which will probably be no less war-crimey). And EVEN THAT is a result of the thread's actions on prior missions allowing this to even be an option to have pursued. We're no less culpable by remaining on Andurien with King Dadlas or choosing zealous second-wave Clanners, simply because the primary reason Amaris' plan worked so beautifully was Goons executing it.

Tl;dr: fictional probable warcrimes doesn't get my hackles up because those are going to happen off-screen one way or the other. Also gently caress Clanners

I like it when the red robot punches the other robots.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

wiegieman posted:

But the red robot did most of his damage with TSM boosted kicks. And heavy gauss, I guess.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

wiegieman posted:

Hear Hear. Let's got off the other discussion shall we? If I recall correctly, we've had that debate at least twice now.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

I don't think that PTN would make us do a mission that would literally be committing that level of warcrimes, no. We agree on that. And, I don't particularly think that writing about fictional space nations committing warcrimes is bad, so long as it is made clear that said actions are bad. Part of the point of a sci-fi setting without aliens, as Battletech is, is often that it centers around the idea that technology and progress do not necessarily make people less lovely unless they use it as a reason to be less lovely. It does not happen on its own. I think PTN understands this very well and his writing shows it, and BTech is a very good setting to play with that idea. Everyone is an rear end in a top hat at some point in the canon timeline. It comes with the territory of BattleTech.

What bothers me is the insistence of the thread for cheering on certain things if they meet the criteria of it happening to a faction they don't like. I might even be guilty of it, but I am more conscious of it now. If people stayed on the track of it being just a game even if it leads to Bad Things, and we get cool scenarios and expertly-written fluff, that would be fine. I mean, poo poo, I could literally not care less about the welfare of the Clans either in the PTN canon or the regular one, but when you have people calling for blood the way they do in this thread sometimes, and when you're living in this time and place where it's impossible to tell what's sincere and what's irony and what's irony that leads to eventually being unironic...

I guess the long and short of it is that fictional people being horrible is fine, but sometimes it worries me the extent to which people approve of that horribleness.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Gotta go with A.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fraction Jackson posted:

I don't think that PTN would make us do a mission that would literally be committing that level of warcrimes, no. We agree on that. And, I don't particularly think that writing about fictional space nations committing warcrimes is bad, so long as it is made clear that said actions are bad. Part of the point of a sci-fi setting without aliens, as Battletech is, is often that it centers around the idea that technology and progress do not necessarily make people less lovely unless they use it as a reason to be less lovely. It does not happen on its own. I think PTN understands this very well and his writing shows it, and BTech is a very good setting to play with that idea. Everyone is an rear end in a top hat at some point in the canon timeline. It comes with the territory of BattleTech.

What bothers me is the insistence of the thread for cheering on certain things if they meet the criteria of it happening to a faction they don't like. I might even be guilty of it, but I am more conscious of it now. If people stayed on the track of it being just a game even if it leads to Bad Things, and we get cool scenarios and expertly-written fluff, that would be fine. I mean, poo poo, I could literally not care less about the welfare of the Clans either in the PTN canon or the regular one, but when you have people calling for blood the way they do in this thread sometimes, and when you're living in this time and place where it's impossible to tell what's sincere and what's irony and what's irony that leads to eventually being unironic...

I guess the long and short of it is that fictional people being horrible is fine, but sometimes it worries me the extent to which people approve of that horribleness.

The one thing I would say that might help ease some of your worry overall: In a world of fiction, we have a couple of luxuries nobody has in the real world. The luxury of absolutes, the luxury of actually seeing the enemy viewpoint, etc. In the real world, there are always shades of gray. In fictional, game-based universes, there can be an absolute enemy. Now, that doesn't have to be a faction that every PLAYER agrees is an absolute enemy, but there can be a justifiable enemy for the in-game faction. Do I, Zaodai, think that the Clans need to be genocided to the last man? No. The Clans will likely get beaten in conventional warfare and/or diplomacy by the Inner Sphere. Can I, Zaodai, with the luxuries of seeing both sides of the conflict and knowing their (overall) goals and forces, understand why the NRWR leadership would think drastic measures, up to and including potential horrible poo poo to the Clan populace, would be necessary against a foe that themselves want to kill the NRWR to the last man? Yes, I can understand and sympathize with that goal, within that given context.

The Clans are just a bigger version of the old "Baby Orc Problem", at least to the NRWR. The Clans are essentially an Evil race, out to wipe them out. Should they be concerned about collateral damage in trying to pacify the Clans to protect themselves? That ends up being a personal moral choice, so squarely in the realm of opinion. It definitely needs to be taken within the context of a fictional world though, if only because of the difference in verifiable information a third party spectator can get in that situation.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

goatface posted:

Going in with only half a plan and without an exit strategy is very battletech.

I'm not putting it past Steve to put an extra jump drive on all his ships.

B

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

vorebane posted:

I'm not putting it past Steve to put an extra jump drive on all his ships.

Don't the physics of the BT universe make it clear that two K-F drives in close proximity is a Very Bad Idea?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Friend Commuter posted:

Are you talking about the Clans or the Rimworlders? Because the Clans are pretty big on worshipping the very ground their 300-year-dead nominal founder walked on and seeking to emulate/avenge him (depending on which Kerensky you're talking about), so tarring them with his brush makes perfect sense to me.

I am referring to the Rim Worlders, who do not seem super eager to push the Satan+Hitler envelope in emulation of Stefan Amaris I

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

paragon1 posted:

I am referring to the Rim Worlders, who do not seem super eager to push the Satan+Hitler envelope in emulation of Stefan Amaris I

Fair enough, then!

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Don't the physics of the BT universe make it clear that two K-F drives in close proximity is a Very Bad Idea?

Hilariously so. Two K-F drives in proximity, even if one is unpowered, tends to cause a phenomenon best described as 'everything within 20 kilometres of the initiator just got smeared into a monoatomic slurry across 30 light years'.

That's one of the better outcomes. Nastier ones make the Philadelphia Experiment conspiracy theories look clean (people welded into hulls, etc. etc. etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

What defines a K-F drive for interference purposes, then? I mean, could you chop it into parts and it would be fine? Or is there a core of Space Maginium that creates this interference effect? Could you bring a whole drive sans core and it would be fine?

Anyway, with all this discussion around it, A simply must be a lively and fun mission!

• Locked thread