Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
She came off as normalcore and unpleasant, like my mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, who thought THAT?

That's how she is in the book where she was introduced. She was kind of a classic head-in-the-clouds scholar, and she didn't have purple hair, her hair changed color all the time. Would've been better if they'd kept that characterization in the movie, imo.

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That's how she is in the book where she was introduced. She was kind of a classic head-in-the-clouds scholar, and she didn't have purple hair, her hair changed color all the time. Would've been better if they'd kept that characterization in the movie, imo.

Kinda hard to dye your hair when you're being chased by the First Order.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Missingnoleader posted:

Kinda hard to dye your hair when you're being chased by the First Order.

The fact that she still did it in this situation would just show even better how eccentric she was. Or she could have a prismatic device that did it automatically. This is Star Wars, you can do whatever you want to make things fun.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm not sure if I buy an Admiral "head-in-the-clouds scholar." Though, in fairness, Admiral "eccentric but pleasant" didn't really work, either.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

The secret of cutting yourself off from the Force is to make it so not even Force Ghosts can be around you without being grossed out.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

gaj70 posted:

I'm not sure if I buy an Admiral "head-in-the-clouds scholar." Though, in fairness, Admiral "eccentric but pleasant" didn't really work, either.

She can be anything. The rebellion's a meritocracy. And it's a movie.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
She could be anything, so she became one with allah

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I halfway expect in the next movie the Resistance goes all antifa and Rey has to get rid of extremists on both sides

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Rey is just a missile that just goes in a straight line, and is constantly looking for someone to point her in the right direction

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
i want kylo to become even better at being a huge totalitarian prick. is that weird.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kylo is the most relatable character, and the most conventionally heroic

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

i want kylo to become even better at being a huge totalitarian prick. is that weird.

Kylo needs to pick up his game...every SW movie needs a good villain.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

General Dog posted:

Kylo is the most relatable character, and the most conventionally heroic

Kylo is the Snape of this series

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kylo Ren owns bones.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Why did Phasma get to keep her job? She was like 99% responsible for the rebels taking out Starkiller Base in TFA but she gets to keep her fancy armor and everything? I have seen plenty of people choked to death by their bosses for much smaller infractions.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tiptoes posted:

Why did Phasma get to keep her job? She was like 99% responsible for the rebels taking out Starkiller Base in TFA but she gets to keep her fancy armor and everything? I have seen plenty of people choked to death by their bosses for much smaller infractions.

No one actually knew it was her who dropped the shields on SKB.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

AndyElusive posted:

But how are you going to hide your cowardice from your boss when he is a cosmic space wizard who can see into your soul?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mirror armor is good at deflecting difficult questions

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tiptoes posted:

They needed an obvious punching bag for Finn

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

AndyElusive posted:

There is a prelude to TLJ comic that shows there was 1 person who checked the logs right before SK base blew up, and Phasma spends the comic hunting him down and killing him and then the witnesses who came with her to hunt down the guy (under the pretense that he was the one who did it). This apparently relates to her novel where she is shown to be a survivor who will do anything it takes to live.

I am reaaaaly hoping she is back in Ep9 with burn scars. Like just keep the same helmet but put an eye patch on it.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The movies shouldn't required reading about scenes that were cut or other poo poo to make sense. The above Phasma stuff is a good example of supplementary material that can add depth, but other things like how big the First Order is, how big the Resistance is, what the state of the Republic/galaxy is, how Luke devolved into a total binch, etc. not being shown is lovely movie making.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Seems like it would at least require a login to drop the shields on a whole planet

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Corky Romanovsky posted:

The movies shouldn't required reading about scenes that were cut or other poo poo to make sense. The above Phasma stuff is a good example of supplementary material that can add depth, but other things like how big the First Order is, how big the Resistance is, what the state of the Republic/galaxy is, how Luke devolved into a total binch, etc. not being shown is lovely movie making.

The sequels are entirely about trying to recapture the "magic" of the original trilogy, despite Rian's middling effort to tell audiences "we really should let the past die, no seriously guys" in the middle of a trilogy that is all about the continuation of a very lucrative fictional past.

TFA and TLJ come after six movies worth of fictional history and a billion other pieces of marketing tie ins. With the OT starting on episode 4, we're told from the beginning that we were in the MIDDLE of a story that had begun before Leia's ship sped onto the camera. With the sequels, they threw out a bunch of stories (of wildly variable quality, true) so these new movies can take place right after RotJ, which for all intents and purposes was a happy ending. Unfortunately, TFA and TLJ have roundly failed to set up why apparently everything went to poo poo anyway.

These two movies are labeled episode 7 and 8, but they feel a lot more like Episode 10 and 11. Disney forgot about how important that one small aspect of the OT actually is. Instead, we're being told to check out these other marketing tie ins that are connected to these new movies to get the whole picture, to see the things that the movies didn't show us/the writers failed to consider.

No matter what happens with episode 9, the sequel trilogy will never be able to get away from how badly bungled their world building has been. We'd be better off if we'd been offered the promise of movies that took place before TFA, to show us in dramatic fashion how the New Republic struggled, and ultimately failed to such an extent that the First Order could take hold.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jota posted:

Most of my theater started laughing during the Leia in space scene

I'm skipping the rest of the thread, but I'm 99% sure this didn't happen

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tiptoes posted:

I have seen plenty of people choked to death by their bosses for much smaller infractions.
I recommend finding a different job

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Kylo is the Snape of this series

There is no way that Snape was not an influence on the character. He was the tragic hero of Harry Potter, and Rey could certainly be read as Lilly without some Tory douche to steal her away.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

fivegears4reverse posted:

We'd be better off if we'd been offered the promise of movies that took place before TFA, to show us in dramatic fashion how the New Republic struggled, and ultimately failed to such an extent that the First Order could take hold.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised that by recasting Han Solo, that this idea hasn't popped into Disney's head. If Solo does well, recast Luke and Leia, and do a new series of films between RotJ and TFA.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The film begins with a tiny Resistance ship going against a big First Order ship. Just like A New Hope, it very clearly communicates the size of the First Order compared to the Resistance.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I actually do think Phasma died in that trash compactor. I think she died on Snoke's ship. I think she'll be back to die again in IX.

I think Snokie was experimenting with the old clone technology.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

The galaxy got a demogratic vote, and ended up voting for the imperials again

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wild Horses posted:

The galaxy got a demogratic vote, and ended up voting for the imperials again

Oh, oh, but we have to vote for Leia? I'll show you who has free will!
*is blown up by eventual super laser*
I'm freeeeeee

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Davros1 posted:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised that by recasting Han Solo, that this idea hasn't popped into Disney's head. If Solo does well, recast Luke and Leia, and do a new series of films between RotJ and TFA.

Nah just reboot a grittier OT with more lens flares and a Vader with an eight pack.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

When Vader is not in the room, everybody should ask ”wheres Vader?”

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Corky Romanovsky posted:

This is all shown in the movie.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

We arent shown why the republic failed so badly or why the fascist remnants do so good.
It certainly looks like the first order deserve the #1 galaxy spot as they got the most support, are a massive superpower and can rely on imperial iconography ..

The message seems contradictory to the intended one

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They're also a literal Evil Empire that kidnaps, tortures, and murders billions. This is shown onscreen.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Davros1 posted:

Nope. Adventures of Princess Leia before ANH maybe, but I really doubt it because of Carrie Fishers death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ammanas posted:

Nope. Adventures of Princess Leia before ANH maybe, but I really doubt it because of Carrie Fishers death.

You think someone at Disney is going to not make a billion dollars because they think it would besmirch the memory of an actress Hollywood treated like poo poo?

• Locked thread