Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

Autoresolve feels like it heavily favors missile units, ammo volume, and + fire speed. All of the elves do really well in autoresolve fights if you put a lot of their missile troops in the mix.

There was a big autoresolve effortpost on Reddit a while back (which I haven't been able to find unfortunately) which confirmed that autoresolve assumes that all ranged units will get to use all of their ammo before any melee combat takes place. This means that the strongest autoresolve stack is something like 19 hellblaster guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm starting to think that maybe my problem with non-tier 1 dark elf units is that I spend 90% of the campaign killing other dark elves.

edit: I wish confederating was a thing that was actually possible because I want need those special buildings other dark elf factions control.

I honestly kinda hate both of the Dark Elf starting positions.

Malekith is super strong right out the gate and gets some early momentum but it's easy to get bogged down fighting Dark Elves and Norsca basically forever.

Morathi has easy access to two ritual sites and quick avenues to take the fight to either Lizardmen or High Elves, but she also takes like 20 levels to start getting good and just breaking out of her starting province can be a pain, between the much stronger neighbors and her corruption mechanic slowing down expansion.

Speaking of elves, this is a nice mod:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1167310654&searchtext=legendary

Basically Malekith, Morathi, Teclis, and Tyrion all have secret legendary items they are supposed to get through additional quests but the scripts and quests themselves are buggy and unreliable, so this just adds them as quest battle rewards on top of their normal quest items.

madmac fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 7, 2018

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

Speaking of elves, this is a nice mod:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1167310654&searchtext=legendary

Basically Malekith, Morathi, Teclis, and Tyrion all have secret legendary items they are supposed to get through additional quests but the scripts and quests themselves are buggy and unreliable, so this just adds them as quest battle rewards on top of their normal quest items.

The instant quest items mod also gives you theese items at a certain level, but i can't remember when exactly at the top of my head

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Adventure Vacations in Scenic Naggaroth! Inquire at 555-WCH-KING

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is Morathi hurt by her own corruption? Having to clean up her corruption is what made me lose interest in my Malekith game after conquering all the rest of the North in the ritual campaign.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

LLSix posted:

Is Morathi hurt by her own corruption? Having to clean up her corruption is what made me lose interest in my Malekith game after conquering all the rest of the North in the ritual campaign.

No, but it still handicaps her in a way because low corruption causes public order problems and of course the revolts are generally nastier, because they're Chaos Warriors instead of Delfs.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Morathi's other problem is that (unless it's been patched) despite delves potentially getting a fair amount of income from trade, actually trading involves capturing parts of like 3 or 4 different provinces, including this long squiggly wasteland. Then, at least in my game, the chaos hordes would spawn directly on that provinces city, effectively immediately cutting trade. Even once the city's reclaimed, you still have to renegotiate all of your trade deals.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots
Has anyone found a mod that allows 2v2 in the chokepoint maps? It irritates me that its locked 1v1. And yes, I'm fine with that not being -balanced-. I just want to cram epic amounts of death into the chokepoint with a friend.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have zero trade deals even though I have a lot of trade resources sitting around. Is there somebody who hates Lothern that I can go befriend who will trade with me?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

madmac posted:

No, but it still handicaps her in a way because low corruption causes public order problems and of course the revolts are generally nastier, because they're Chaos Warriors instead of Delfs.

I'll strongly disagree with that. Delfs feel like a pretty hard counter to chaos rebels. I'll usually route them without any casualties with nothing but t1 units unless they have a hellcannon. And as already mentioned, low public order and constant uprisings is a good thing as delfs.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Starting up a new Dwarf campaign and realized I have never played Clan Angrund before. I didn’t get very far before getting smashed fairly early when my starting province got crushed when my army was away.

How should I build Belegar and what’s the best use of his ghost dads?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'll strongly disagree with that. Delfs feel like a pretty hard counter to chaos rebels. I'll usually route them without any casualties with nothing but t1 units unless they have a hellcannon. And as already mentioned, low public order and constant uprisings is a good thing as delfs.

How badly are you outnumbered with this no casualty thing because I want to know your secrets. I usually lose a lot of my adjective swords to trolls.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nash posted:

Starting up a new Dwarf campaign and realized I have never played Clan Angrund before. I didn’t get very far before getting smashed fairly early when my starting province got crushed when my army was away.

Your army can survive cash flow attrition by underway stance or raiding, which should let you take/sack replacement settlements along the way down to eight peaks.
Best use of ghost dads is to use them to tie up enemy melee while you pelt the resulting blob with range and arty. In sieges you can use them and belegar as battering rams and gate fighters. Placing a manually controlled cannon behind their short tanking asses in the gate allows you to take out whole garrisons with careful shooting.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Nash posted:

Speed and relatively fast expansion is how I've found success as Belegar, which is why he's different than starting in Karaz-a-Karak. In general, don't make alliances, you don't have the time to deal with their poo poo. The exception imo is the Border Princes and whoever controls the Barak Varr province, since you'll be foraying into the Badlands from there.

Your economy is extra hosed till you take the Peaks, so on very hard/legendary basically use Belegar to take out lords, while the ghost granddads 3man armies. It's not really that useful to try and ameliorate your economy penalties, I usually build Belegar's/ghostdads' combat abilities so the army can remain small till you take the Peaks. The dads are vulnerable to magical attacks, so they're best spent on masses of regular infantry. Save your army for mopping up/ranged, since you can't afford to take the time to reinforce them. Focus on economy, then defense in your provinces, no new or more expensive units for awhile. Tilea, the Border Princes, and Wissenland are usually friendly.

Finish off the Broken Nose as soon as possible to complete the Vaults. Don't rest, just attack attack attack using the ghost dads and Belegar as a vanguard, they can take it. Generally by this time the Skull-takerz will have either taken or razed Peildorf and will be coming for Karak Izor. You'll most likely be able to get there beforehand, if not, it's generally not a force that can take Izor if you're OK at defending during a siege.

Then turn your attention to Skarsnik. He'll either have taken or be in the process of taking Karak Norn, with the dwarfs being reduced to Grimhold or under siege in Karak Norn. It's a little down to rng, but they're usually down to confederate at this point, what with having no army. If not, things get a little complicated. Kick Skarsnik's rear end then raze Karak Azgaraz so you don't have to deal with the headache of an incomplete province. By now, you've got complete province(s), probably on the verge of revolt, so deal with that. Destroy the Crooked Moon Mutinous Gits army that's probably coming for Karak Izor, then take Karak Angazhar if the Border Princes/Karak Hirn haven't. It's a disposable launching platform for going into the Badlands, and if you make a defensive alliance with the Border Princes, they'll deal with the rebels.

Things get trickier from here, since about now it's not as predictable who controls what. If it's a Dwarf tide into the Badlands, that's a double edged sword. Karak Azul may have taken Karak Eight Peaks, necessitating either a really unlikely confederation or kicking them out. Alternatively, it's still under control by the Gits, but you'll most likely only be able to afford 1 army while they're most likely garrisoning the gently caress out of the city. This comes down to cheesing the siege AI, since starving them out really isn't an option; invariably there's gonna be revolts in the Vaults/Grey Mountains. Getting control of the city makes the rest of the campaign pretty easy, no more economy penalties and you're probably ingratiated to the remaining dwarfs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't get greedy gunning for Karak Eight Peaks either cause if you let the Greenskins roam around freely they will gladly cut you off and/or siege you in the turn after you take Karak Eight Peaks.

Eej fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 7, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Arglebargle III posted:

How badly are you outnumbered with this no casualty thing because I want to know your secrets. I usually lose a lot of my adjective swords to trolls.

You can basically beat infinite Norse once you have access to Hydras or level up your lords. Just run them out in front of your archer line to tarpit the majority of Norse infantry and then just unload arrows on the whole crew. Spacing the monsters/heros 2-4 units apart will catch every unit in that radius. The only thing you’ll have to worry about past that is horsemen, by your archers will beat them straight up.

Basically, have a shitload of darkshards and redline them up with your lords, and put regen monsters/heros out in front of them with some bleaksword screens just in case. The AI will fall for that trap like 9 times out of 10, and Delfs probably do this better than anyone with Hydra/AP archers.

Trolls loving melt both in leadership and HP to arrow fire, they won’t even make it to your monsters a lot of the time.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I'm trying to do a delf playthrough but keep getting railed, That and I feel like im missing the economy/playstyle of them. Anybody got a recommended mod list for delfs or just in general?

TwatHammer fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 7, 2018

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Makes me wonder how the DElf early game will change when the Norsca update eventually lands. More AP and anti-infantry, more monsters, better infantry, better magic but I suppose less spam overall.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vlex posted:

Makes me wonder how the DElf early game will change when the Norsca update eventually lands. More AP and anti-infantry, more monsters, better infantry, better magic but I suppose less spam overall.

Tougher individual battles but less spam overall will make Norsca easier to deal with for the players and the AI.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
The Norsca release will probably also break them up into a bunch of small feuding groups again, which gives the rest if the world a few turns to actually get their feet under them.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thinkn bout thos Mung

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Every delf ME game I've played so far, every delf faction north of me has been swallowed whole by the norse tide. Hoping the update will change that

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TwatHammer posted:

I'm trying to do a delf playthrough but keep getting railed, That and I feel like im missing the economy/playstyle of them. Anybody got a recommended mod list for delfs or just in general?

if you're playing malekith? grab the mod that cuts Norse income in half, it's enough that the norscans will still be a pain in the rear end if left unchecked but not enough for them to drown you in garbage. your order of operations is kill the rats, take Ghrond and its associated province, then get the Norscans out of your hair. (i personally recommend just burning the settlements in question down, but leaving one intact so your first few sorceresses have something to gang-steal tech from.)

the norscans are the perfect diplomatic tool for you: all the dark elves loving hate them, and so you can kick the poo poo out of them to make friends.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Thinkn bout thos Mung

I can't look at the Mung without thinking of respected forums poster Mung Dynasty and why the emperor gets all the mung

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

if you're playing malekith? grab the mod that cuts Norse income in half, it's enough that the norscans will still be a pain in the rear end if left unchecked but not enough for them to drown you in garbage. your order of operations is kill the rats, take Ghrond and its associated province, then get the Norscans out of your hair. (i personally recommend just burning the settlements in question down, but leaving one intact so your first few sorceresses have something to gang-steal tech from.)

the norscans are the perfect diplomatic tool for you: all the dark elves loving hate them, and so you can kick the poo poo out of them to make friends.
Depending on who has it it might be worth a quick snipe of Hag Graef before turning on the Norscans, but yeah, otherwise just raze the fuckers. Hag Graef has a really nice mine iirc, but its not worth taking if it opens up a new war front.

It'd be nice if that goddamn settlement north of Naggaroth actually covered the pass, but nope.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Yeah playing ring around the rosie against the AI in early game situations really blows. Kroc-gars ME start has this problem, either vampires or skaven will pop a couple stacks and dodge around that bigass mountain unless you split your army in two.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nazareth has a big problem of no forests. Typically the campaign map way of dealing with Norse spam is to bait them into unfavorable attacks over and over by hiding your army. In tundra you can't do that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is Steel Faith Overhaul still the mod to go for a general improvement mod?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Azran posted:

Depends. What is your stance on eugenics?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Azran posted:

It depends on what you mean by general improvement, but the only other super mod is Radious and I would not recommend Radious.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Azran posted:

The consensus is the base game doesn't need general improvement. That's not what SFO is, anyway.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
SFO2 doesn't tackle the real problems of WH2 enough, which are how the AI handles climates and the Norscan issue, IMO. There's a roster expansion mod for Norsca patterned after the Norscan DLC, and there's a selection of climate mods you may want to try. Personally, I think I'm good waiting on the Tomb Kings patch at the end of this month (plus weeks of mod updates, sigh) since the last Steam sale gave me some good stuff to get lost in for the meantime.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ammanas posted:

The consensus is the base game doesn't need general improvement. That's not what SFO is, anyway.

There are some really good graphical mods that I think I'll always use, like the one that changes the projectile graphics to look more similar to the old TW games.

But yeah, SFO isn't really a QOL or improvement thing, it's more of a rebalance and unit pack. It does stuff to slow the speed of battles down and makes them scaled more similarly to tabletop, and adds various units from tabletop that aren't in game. It changes the economy some to reward certain play styles, generally buffs city garrisons, and does a few other tweaks like changing AI behaviors. Overall, it's not really a general improvement over the base game, it's just kind of different.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Here is a strategy for early and easy DE conquest of the south. Don't touch the beastmen, let them pass through your lands, follow them with small army and recolonize the ruins they leave behind. You get the southern province in record time while also keeping good relations with whoever used to own it. Just try to grow the colonizer army as you go along so they can deal with beastmen when you think they outlived their usefulness.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

new LL Jesus of Naggaroth.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

BTW does anyone ever use witch elves? Maybe I dont understand this unit but due to their gimmick, their enemy will never rout so unless I specifically flank their opponent, they'll sit there for entire battle being semi-useless.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sekenr posted:

BTW does anyone ever use witch elves? Maybe I dont understand this unit but due to their gimmick, their enemy will never rout so unless I specifically flank their opponent, they'll sit there for entire battle being semi-useless.

Witch Elves make their opponents go berserk, so if you manage to catch a really high value target with them, usually high mobility and/or heroes and lords, they're stuck in combat.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yes, I get that, but this is so situational that it kind of feels like a waste of a slot.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Since they aggro enemies it can be helpful to lock down frail low ld units and blender the gently caress out of them before they can dart away. This helps charge murderous Prowess faster.

Not sure if the effect works on units immune to psychology or fearless but if it does then it's another really good asset to lock these types of units down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yes, but do you actually use them?