Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Twin peaks? Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

One of the few good things about last year.:thumbsup:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

One of the few good things about last year.:thumbsup:

Wait!

What year is this?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

So uhh, adult swim did a thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_TeH8i5bls

Remember how season one was a slight satire of soap operas? Well imagine if an improv group did a satire or that satire. This show is inexplicably good and very reminiscent of twin peaks for me.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

remusclaw posted:

Wait!

What year is this?

*screams horrifically*

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Saw the headline on my news feed, was disappointed NOT to see this when I clicked it...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/withnailgeorgen/status/949731535149850624

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Those brilliant motherfuckers...

I still need to start watching my Blu-Rays. I got the set like a week or two ago but haven't watched any of it yet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I want to rewatch the original show first. Take a month, do an episode a day. Then the movie. Then find someone to marathon The Return with me and transcend existence as we know it. :getin:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I got a green tea latte today, because of that instant classic scene. That's the power of this show.

(also kudos to the poster from September and all the other green tea crew who have posted something similar!)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 7, 2018

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The This Is Dougie's Coffee from the Twin Peaks/Showtime site is a REALLY heavy bug. I feel like I could grab the handle and smack someone in the face with it and it not break.

It is also really difficult to drink coffee...or anything...from. The top of the mug is lined thick so it is really easy for the coffee to drip off onto the side of the mug.

How did Dougie drink from this?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

notthegoatseguy posted:

The This Is Dougie's Coffee from the Twin Peaks/Showtime site is a REALLY heavy bug. I feel like I could grab the handle and smack someone in the face with it and it not break.

It is also really difficult to drink coffee...or anything...from. The top of the mug is lined thick so it is really easy for the coffee to drip off onto the side of the mug.

How did Dougie drink from this?
...Dougie drink from this.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Raxivace posted:

...Dougie drink from this.

[Awe and admiration at Dougie's refusal to give up on the mug despite its challenges]

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Got The Return on Bluray, two episodes in and loving it. Did not expect Cooper to be a central focus (despite him being on the cover) but it is exciting. Compelling to see him in BOB form as a high level criminal. Kyle McLaughlin looks great, as does the actress who plays Laura Palmer and the actor who plays James. This is hardly a sentimental reunion, however, nor does it succumb to fan service, from what I see so far the cheezy soap opera is gone, the harsh realities of time and age are setting in, and the show is quite bleak.

In the past I went back and forthwith my opinion on David Lynch. Sometimes in the past, I'll admit, I thought he was a one-trick pony who was really good with eerie atmospheres not so much story. Hope The Return keeps up. I'm kind of taking my time with it, cherishing each episode and giving myself time to think about them before going on to the next.

I'm intrigued by Cooper in a lime green suit. No idea what that is about. I only know what I see on the box set.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:allears:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
IT'S A loving MORGUE

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kyle didn’t win the yellow orb.:smith:

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't see any awards in s3's future. It'll have to settle for being the greatest scripted series ever made

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just as well. It was probably full of garmonbozia anyway.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

In the past I went back and forthwith my opinion on David Lynch. Sometimes in the past, I'll admit, I thought he was a one-trick pony who was really good with eerie atmospheres not so much story.
I don't really agree with this. Lynch has plenty of interest in story, it's plot he doesn't care that much about.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

In the past I went back and forthwith my opinion on David Lynch. Sometimes in the past, I'll admit, I thought he was a one-trick pony who was really good with eerie atmospheres not so much story. Hope The Return keeps up. I'm kind of taking my time with it, cherishing each episode and giving myself time to think about them before going on to the next.

At Lynch's best points the atmosphere is the story.

He does care about story, he just focuses on the subjective experiences of the characters more than the illusion of an outside, objective view of the events.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 8, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Y’alls have like 8 hours to go make a list for this thing and put TP at the top https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840812

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Y’alls have like 8 hours to go make a list for this thing and put TP at the top https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840812

do I have to come up with a whole list or can I just list twin peaks ten times

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

romanowski posted:

do I have to come up with a whole list or can I just list twin peaks ten times

It has to be a whole list, and you've got to write at least a sentence about each show. Also, just about everything counts as a show, including youtube programs with some degree of professionalism. Just vote for Monster Factory or something.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Ah, I wonder what's going on in Snapchat the day after I've finished watching this for the first time...

...:prepop:

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Finished episode 4! It is a blast seeing this without any idea on what to expect. Not sure if there are still people like me who would click this thread without seeing The Return, spoilering in case (I'll remove if asked)

I love practically every decision Lynch has made, even the heightened stupidity of Lucy and Andy which at first struck me as overdone but then grew on me especially with Lucy's bewilderment of cell phones, oh and Michael Cera, their son's, monologue which was painful to sit through but hilarious in retrospect

The "Mr. Jackpot" scenes are fantastic and I have to take back my impression that the show is taking on a mostly serious approach.

When the FBI guys went to South Dakota it was a relief to see they realized something is terribly, terribly wrong with Cooper.

I feel as intrigued with Twin Peaks as I did when I sat through the first season. So glad Lynch/Frost had the creative control.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So glad Lynch/Frost had the creative control.

For sure, beautiful that this happened. Cool that you're digging it! "Helloooooooooooooo!"

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I just watched Ep 1 and 2 of the Return.
I never watched the original.
I didn't know anything about twin peaks; a friend just gave me his copies of the show.

What the heck did I just watch? Does anyone even know?

What's going on ? Is this real? Whats real?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dennis McClaren posted:

I didn't know anything about twin peaks; a friend just gave me his copies of the show.

Watch the first two seasons and Fire Walk With Me.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Turn around and watch all of twin peaks in the released order

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

and Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, and even more Lynch movies if you haven't! Let the David Lynch flow through you like the force. (he did meet with George Lucas for RoTJ with a funny story!)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Watching you new people go through The Return for the first time is so great. Please keep posting your feelings about it. There’s nothing like that first time through and I’m jealous I can’t do it again :3: dead serious my approach to creation, art and media shifted after the series ended.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dennis McClaren posted:

I don't understand why people do this. It's like Deathly Hollows bring the first Harry Potter book you read, or starting with season 6 of Game of Thrones. Makes zero sense.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

regulargonzalez posted:

I don't understand why people do this. It's like Deathly Hollows bring the first Harry Potter book you read, or starting with season 6 of Game of Thrones. Makes zero sense.

It's slightly different though, considering there was a 25 year gap between "original" Twin Peaks and the Return. Some people might assume that a TV series coming 25 years later might attempt to be approachable for new viewers, I mean, not anyone familar with Lynch, but if you're going in knowing basically nothing about it, it's a wrong assumption, but not an unreasonable one.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

It could be easy to assume this was just another reboot, but nope, it's a direct continuation (simply taking place 25 years later), and you're not going to understand anything if you don't watch the old stuff.

Fortunately, the original series and movie are great and absolutely worth your time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The show is literally called the return

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The show is literally called the return

That's an alternative promotional name, and more officially it seemed to be Twin Peaks (A Limited Event Series). But still, I agree; they didn't exactly hide the fact that this is season 3 of an established series.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Even if you watch all the twin peaks you'll only half get the new show instead of quarter getting it

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rewatching the show now, it feels so much better going through it all at once instead of waiting a week (or more) between each episode. There's still a few plots that do absolutely nothing for me, but all of the Vegas stuff is even better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i loved dougie first watch through but on a rewatch the whole dougie thing is like, western-buddhist as gently caress and worth studying for like, insight into reality and society

plus a bunch of things make so much more sense