Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Didn't BMW switch to grease on the k bikes with hilarious results? No bike I've ever worked on has had anything other than gear oil but I don't get much contract with greasy European shafties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think all the BMW shaft drives have been grease on the shafts (not in the final drive) since the paralever.

I worked on a Guzzi today that had an exposed driveshaft. I assume there was some grease on it. I guess you just spray more on every now and then?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
With today's political climate it's probably a good idea refrain from greasing your exposed shaft

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Spikes on

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Can you tell me more about these?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
They are made of metal.

They are pointy.

Edit: stupid joke aside, what would those be like on the road?

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 13, 2017

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Road?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I know suwb is riding dirt, but I've wondered what those would be like on a dual-sport or something where you might be on ice half the time, or you want to ride pavement between areas. Will they gently caress up pavement? Will they wear down almost instantly? Will they feel like riding on ice if there isn't ice?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Dutymode posted:

I know suwb is riding dirt, but I've wondered what those would be like on a dual-sport or something where you might be on ice half the time, or you want to ride pavement between areas. Will they gently caress up pavement? Will they wear down almost instantly? Will they feel like riding on ice if there isn't ice?

First these are not ice tires. They suck on ice. Hardware store screws will do better than these on ice. These are best for snow covered trails or frozen ground.

They work fine on pavement. Mine are 10 years old, and if you add up all the transfer sections I've done, I've probably got 200 miles on them on pavement with no visible wear on the tips. They fail in cantilever, so spinning hard in mud, way before they're wear down. I've never slid on them on pavement, but I bet if I slammed on the brakes or goosed it, they'd spin.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Replaced my turn signal innards with some LED boards. Regulars on the rear, but on the front I got some with both white and yellow LEDs; they illuminate white until you hit the turn signal, switching them to flashing yellow. Not quite driving lights, but I figure it'll be good for visibility.

Also learned that Diablo Rosso Corsas are bad in the cold and rain, after losing the rear twice under pretty moderate acceleration. Thankfully this thing seems happy to wiggle around without much drama.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Fats posted:

Also learned that Diablo Rosso Corsas are bad in the cold and rain, after losing the rear twice under pretty moderate acceleration. Thankfully this thing seems happy to wiggle around without much drama.

The Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas are stock on my bike and general consensus on the forums was they really suck in the rain, must be a thing for that line of tires? When I got my bike the tires were already too old so I switched to Dunlop Q3s based on the reviews of the stock tires for rainy weather, and I've been happy with them.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Two days ago I stacked my DRZ in the garage with the tank and battery pulled and the tires elevated, and my SMT in front of that on a tender with the tank Stabil’d. Not worrying about elevating at tires - they’ve had a rough year.
I backed into the stack at least twice since with my xB, and once with the wife’s Mustang when I parked and winterized it. After all this, I surrounded everything with the summer wheels for the xB - which is now on stands in the garage because a rear drum exploded.

Down to the wife’s winter Malibu until parts get here. No vehicles were harmed during this endeavor.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Built a trike tonight for a young relative. Kawi Green!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
We're all friends, here. You can say that it's for you.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I replaced my kick start shaft cause the old one had the bolt shear off and I couldn't extract the screw and the kickstart could potentially wiggle off if my leg wasn't always there to keep it on.

I am now wanting validation to stop here for the day or motivation to continue on and be a dumbass and replace the top end as well. It's my birthday and I'll do whatever I want

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

gently caress you all I'm doing it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good poo poo!

Is that the kind with the ring gap directly in line with one of the exhaust ports? I remember a few ktm 2t's having that design. Are you using the old barrel or sticking a new one on?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I don't really know what I'm doing. Using the old cylinder, ring gaps were facing the back towards the intake. the thing started up as normal. *shrugs* brap

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

post socal trip wash, picked up two stock seats yesterday, a stepped stock one in black, and a s-model non-stepped seat in orange. I found the seat concepts seat too wide for me.

I was after a black s-seat, but eh, this works too

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

cursedshitbox posted:

post socal trip wash, picked up two stock seats yesterday, a stepped stock one in black, and a s-model non-stepped seat in orange. I found the seat concepts seat too wide for me.

I was after a black s-seat, but eh, this works too

It's very... orange bikes with obnoxiously loud coloring are awesome

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Protip: just take the triple clamp like clean off and fix it, you don't need to take the actual barrel our or anything.

Got around to doing this today, it was surprisingly easy! Penetrating oil is magic.

I'm vaguely considering running the ignition wires through like a piece of shower hose or something as a deterrent against the next chancer with a pocket knife. Probably not worth it I know, but eh, it'd make me feel better

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Steel braided sleeve?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Or that, yeah.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Replaced the battery because of course they're consumable items on Italian bikes. TBH it probably didn't need outright replacing - the trickle charger was getting me 3-4 days of very cold morning starts - but I really didn't fancy being left stranded.

Ducati have managed something quite strange - the battery is in the silliest location I've ever seen, basically between the swingarm mounts - and yet replacing it was actually the easiest I've ever done. Glancing at the process, which among other things requires you to remove the earth strap because the actual negative terminal isn't accessible until you remove the positive terminal and drop the battery, you expect the usual Kafkaesque nightmare, but every step of the process is well thought out and designed and the whole process took about half an hour (and would have been quicker if I could have found the right hex key).

It's a weird kind of Italian transitional fossil - they've realised they have to make this stuff easier, so there's features like a hole in which you can put a "service pin" - basically a hex key but with a circular profile in - to support the battery while you remove the support underneath it, and a positive terminal screw that's about 5 cms high to make it very easy to undo and redo. Maybe in another 70 years they'll crack a design that doesn't require all these clever hacks!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ducati have managed something quite strange - the battery is in the silliest location I've ever seen, basically between the swingarm mounts - and yet replacing it was actually the easiest I've ever done

the whole process took about half an hour

what are you doing wrong with your life that the fastest battery replacement you've ever done is 30 minutes

Both of my Hondas:
- lift up seat
- unscrew battery cables
- remove battery
- reverse process to reinstall

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Try doing a battery on a 999 or a sportster, I vacillate between which is the more miserable depending on what's parked in front of me at the time.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

what are you doing wrong with your life that the fastest battery replacement you've ever done is 30 minutes

Be a serial Italian bike owner.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Be a serial Italian bike owner.

Pretty much.

And if Japanese bikes are so great why did you have to replace the battery eh Mr smart guy Sagebrush?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Battery on my tuono requires 3 different fasteners to be removed. 5m hex to remove seat, 4m hex to remove a fuze block thats blocking the battery in, and then a 10m wrench to remove the battery.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Got the top triple remounted with repaired wires, fixed the license plate light too while I was at it (which hasn't functioned since I bought the bike). Everything works and I didn't electrocute myself! :toot:

I wasn't able to get any kind of braid over the ignition wires so they're just all hanging out right now tempting any fool to stick a knife in, so I'll be religiously putting the cover on the bike when I park until I can order some.

Keket, I don't suppose you know where I could get some steel braid sleeve? It's a pain to google for because I keep getting results for braided steel rope/tow cables, and when I do find any sleeving it's either from an American company or being sold in 100ft reels for a bajillion sterling. I usually go to kojaycat for electrical poo poo but they only stock nylon braid. :/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Buhbuhj posted:

Battery on my tuono requires 3 different fasteners to be removed. 5m hex to remove seat, 4m hex to remove a fuze block thats blocking the battery in, and then a 10m wrench to remove the battery.

Man. I don't think I could even afford a 10m wrench, let alone lift one.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I'm so used to saying mil I didn't even realize I was doing that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A 10 mil wrench would only fit a 0.254mm bolt head :v:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Yeah my bike is actually really fuckin tiny.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 7, 2018

advion
Jul 25, 2005
Pfft I can’t even get to my battery at the moment cause the FZ09 seat latches suck. Can’t even get the seat off without doing odd yoga poses and wrestling with it like it’s a bear. I used to be able to push it down in front and pull up one of the rear seat corners then unlock it with the key and pull it up to get it off but not anymore.

I can’t be assed to look at it and fix it now so it will wait until it’s warmer out.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I lost my side cover and the strap that holds the battery in, so my replacement procedure could be as simple as "figure out where the battery fell out, crimp on new terminals, reinstall."

It's tied in there now with some mason's twine. I'll eventually get to actually installing it.

I only noticed the strap is gone because I (CONTENT) actually wired up the heated gear I got from a coworker.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I took the Supertrapp off my DR350 to clean it and replace some hardware and fiberglass, and now I don't think it will work anymore.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I took the Supertrapp off my DR350 to clean it and replace some hardware and fiberglass, and now I don't think it will work anymore.

You just need to repack the muffler. That’s fine.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

No, man. I need to get a new baffle, because the old one had to be destroyed in the process. That specific baffle doesn't seem to exist any more, and the can itself is so obsolete it took me a couple days of googling to find out what bike it's actually for (XR400). XR400 enthusiasts don't even use it any more, so that option is out. I can find a short Supertrapp baffle, but they don't have that bell on the inflow end (which was the reason it turned I to a fiasco, because it fit tighter than anything I've seen). I'm concerned about repacking it with a new baffle that has no bell, because I could envision some burned out fiberglass one day in the future making its way back into the engine. I may buy a short bell-less baffle and weld a new bell onto it, repack it, and sell the whole thing. I'm drat sure not putting it back on my bike, because gently caress going through that process ever again. I'll get a stocker or a DG or something much easier to service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Knowing what I know about supertrapps, everything on yours appears to be nominal. Its working as designed.