Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

AceOfFlames posted:

I dunno, I would imagine a TON of health code violations in there, ESPECIALLY now.

Eww a rat face!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

:rip: episode 14, sony called Copyright bullshittery.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

achtungnight posted:

Sleeping Dogs is one of only two games I know of where you can be an Accessory to Cannibalism. The other I am currently LPing on these boards. I am repelled by the idea of Cannibalism, despite a reluctance to mess with the perps. Wei I could handle- maybe. I am not f-ing with Mrs. Chu.

Well, there's always Fallout. And, depending on your viewpoint, Shadowrun Hong Kong.

Magni fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 6, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Magni posted:

Well, there's always Fallout. And, depending on your viewpoint, Shadowrun Hong Kong.

In Hong Kong you can commit Negligent Cannibalism.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Aishlinn posted:

:rip: episode 14, sony called Copyright bullshittery.

loving hell....I fail to see how they could justify that.

I pray for the day when bad-faith DMCA takedowns get serious penalties.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Never played Fallout or Shadowrun. Maybe I should. Never played Sunless Sea or Tharsis either.

The other game with cannibalism I’ve played is Lost Heir 3, a text CYOA with fantasy elements. You’re headed home on a ship, possibly low on food. If your stats for fishing won’t help, an alternative is “Secretly kill a crew member and feed them to the crew (needs 70 Evil)”. It can be done a lot (ship needs minimum 5 crew, you start with around 20), doesn’t affect the plot, doesn’t give much food, adds Evil each time it’s done. For extra points, there was a bad guy cannibal tribe on the island you left and they killed & ate one of your party members if you got knocked out while on the island and trying to rescue them.

And other than possibly winding up in Hell if you die in the next (final) dungeon and didn’t pay off all your Evil karma with Gold before that, there are no long term consequences.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 7, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Then there's Tharsis, which is a small die-roller game where you can eat food to restore the dice pool but food supplies are limited. So if a crew member dies you can feed them to the crew.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Sunless sea has cannibalism in it.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

mauman posted:

loving hell....I fail to see how they could justify that.

one of the early episodes of the brutal legend lp is muted in canada and it really sucks.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

mauman posted:

Sunless sea has cannibalism in it.

Hell, it's in the tagline.

Lose Your Mind. Eat Your Crew.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga is about a post apocalyptic world where a stalemate in a war between competing tribes gets broken up by the sudden introduction of cannibalism.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

mauman posted:

Legitimate bad-faith DMCA takedowns do get serious penalties - perjury, namely. It's just that Youtube does not do legitimate DMCA takedowns. Actual DMCA takedowns have a lot of paperwork involved, and if it's found to be in bad faith, the person/corporation filing gets hit with a perjury charge, which is a straight up felony.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Divinity: Original Sin 2 has a pretty extensive cannibalism system. In that game elves can eat body parts to gain some of the memories. But every race can eat that stuff, if they care to. There's a quest where you're supposed to bring a criminals head. The quest giver really freaks out if you casually say "We killed that dude, but one of us ate his head."

DOS2 is a great game!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I have DailyMotion mirrors for a reason.

But I don't have one for this week's video yet because I'm right in the middle of cloning my hard drive to one that isn't dying. So it's just this right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_jyT917JM8

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bobbin, you disappoint me. That race should have had some Brütal Legend voice lines.

also jesus christ Wei

double nine fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 8, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So how many years in prison does one count of Aggravated Sidequest Interruption get Jackie?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Jackie ain’t going to prison. His ultimate fate in the game is suffering enough.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I have DailyMotion mirrors for a reason.

But I don't have one for this week's video yet because I'm right in the middle of cloning my hard drive to one that isn't dying. So it's just this right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_jyT917JM8

Hey, thanks for covering the movie, 5 bucks well spent (even if you did butcher my name :confuoot: :) ).

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Wei running up and kicking the cop in the back of the head and the valet running up to Wei to say "Here you go" is just a beautiful Yakety Sax moment.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

man, getting some serious "only 2 days from retirement" vibes from Jackie.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Antilles posted:

Hey, thanks for covering the movie, 5 bucks well spent (even if you did butcher my name :confuoot: :) ).

Thanks for suggesting it so that I didn't have to spend 5 bucks, it's one of my favourite martial arts movies.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

double nine posted:

man, getting some serious "only 2 days from retirement" vibes from Jackie.

He's tripped over more death flags than I have loose cobbles

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Antilles posted:

If you don't mind me asking, where's yer name from?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Considering we're goons, probably Wedge Antilles.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
open world games need to stop doing that thing where they obtrusively badger you to do a thing/go to a place and then when you do what it tells you to shut it up so you can play at your leisure nope it's locked you into a mission you can't go explore. why would you wanna explore in this open world game? that's crazy. you're crazy.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

CommissarMega posted:

Considering we're goons, probably Wedge Antilles.

Or the other Captain Antilles who defied Darth Vader and would not give up the Rebels even unto death! I remember that guy’s sacrifice.

Azure Dreamer- Even worse are the big areas in open world games you can only explore during a mission. The ones that are locked down both before and after. You know what I’m talking about.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 9, 2018

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Justice waits for no man. Let's see what tomfoolery Wei Shen gets up to this time...

People almost certainly permanently crippled/maimed by Wei Shen: 16 (total: 369)
People definitively killed by Wei Shen: 13 (total: 332)

Crimes:

4 Counts Reckless Endangerment
6 Counts Felony Hit-and-Run
11 Counts Simple Assault
13 Counts Assault and Battery
3 Counts Manslaughter in the First Degree
2 Counts Possession of an Illegal Firearm
9 Counts Malicious Destruction of Property
1 Count Accessory to Terrible Metal Singing
11 Counts Carjacking
8 Counts Misdemeanor Hit-and-Run
1 Count Tresspassing
1 Count Breaking and Entering
1 Count Petty Larceny
2 Counts Grand Theft Auto
1 Count Grand Theft Motorcycle
9 Counts Murder in the Second Degree
2 Counts Aggravated Mayhem
1 Count Levitating Without a Permit
1 Count Assault and Battery of a Police Officer
1 Count Felony Resisting Arrest
1 Count Vehicular Homicide
2 Counts Vandalism
1 Count Vehicular Assault

Nothing too serious this time, relatively speaking. The total sentence works out to 457 Years, 5 months. Wei was positively angelic this time around.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

GenHavoc posted:

1 Count Accessory to Terrible Metal Singing

I can do a decent roar, just not when my throat is dry.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mirrors are up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

He's tripped over more death flags than I have loose cobbles

To be fair, I've seen minor characters set off more and survive in a gangster story.

Once.

At least Jackie hasn't announced he's going to buy a boat named the Live-4-Ever. That's something, right?

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

I think you forgot the multiple counts of practicing surgery without a liscence, considering how he went after those sternums with the industrial equivalent of a motherfucking bonesaw.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

achtungnight posted:

Or the other Captain Antilles who defied Darth Vader and would not give up the Rebels even unto death! I remember that guy’s sacrifice.

Raymus Antilles! The guy who owned C3P0 and R2D2 before Luke got'em! :eng101:

:eng99:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

To be fair, I've seen minor characters set off more and survive in a gangster story.

Once.

At least Jackie hasn't announced he's going to buy a boat named the Live-4-Ever. That's something, right?

"Do one thing for me Wei, get Mendoza!"

And who's the character?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

White Coke posted:

"Do one thing for me Wei, get Mendoza!"

And who's the character?

One of the supporting characters on Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. Show's leads are a bunch of child soldiers who join the mob to have backing in their conflict with the space cops.

Things do not go well for all concerned.

The individual in question is Takaki Uno, one of the younger and more innocent members of the group. That would be a bad position already, but he makes it worse and worse.

In the first season, he starts a conversation with one of the main pilots, a gruff and taciturn former slave with a heart of gold, about how he's working to put his kid sister through school. He does this while on patrol in a mobile worker, a vehicle with approximately no defenses against being attacked by giant robots.

Needless to say, his mobile worker doesn't last very long. He survives, barely, because the heroes picked up a doctor when making the aforementioned deal with the Jupiter mafia. Once he's recovered, his next major action is piloting the group leader's transport in the finale. The same transport that a more major character died in just a few episodes earlier.

Now, all that's some decent dodging of the odds, but it's the second season that puts him over the edge.

There, he gets focus episodes despite being a bit player, spends several scenes having a happy home life watching out for his little sister, promises a friend who's only known suffering that they're both coming back alive from battle despite mounting fatalities, asks a traitor if he can contact the base while they're alone, blindly trusts a commanding officer who's secretly plotting to get everyone killed, and promises when he rides out that it's going to be the final battle.

Considering the deaths the show managed to pick up by the end, his survival's something of a statistical outlier.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
That Chocolate movie looks amazing and I need to find it and watch it. Also, we're fast approaching where this game lost me, and it's summed up in one word: Guns. For a good 60-70% of the game (not counting the standouts like favors where you need to shoot people while riding in a vehicle) this game gets you hooked on its hand-to-hand combat system. It's not particularly amazing but it is amazingly fun, and was a welcome change in the GTA Clone thing that was happening everywhere at the time. But for the last third-ish and most important part of the game, where everything's starting to wrap up? Forget you're a martial artist, you're now a gunslinger, and the gun controls are rear end. You don't really get a sense of it while watching a video and it only really comes up in gameplay, but you have to dial your sensitivity way up to get anything out of the mouse, especially in aim mode. The port is competent but it never really shakes the feeling of a console game, from the UI to the free-aim controls, and it really ruins what is otherwise an enjoyable experience.

They really should have just let the hand-to-hand rule the day for the entirety of the game, rather than just the majority, and it annoyed me to no end when I played through five or six times because the bulk of the game was so enjoyable to me.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Samovar posted:

If you don't mind me asking, where's yer name from?

I'm assuming you meant the real name, and it's from Norway.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Funny, I didn't manage to dechipher it the first time I heard it. Bobbin truly mangled it, but it seems like he was trying to say "Jørgen Setermo" (maybe Sætermo). Jørgen is as Norwegian and Danish variant of George, at any rate.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Taekwondo also gets you in really good shape, but then most martial arts do.

I miss doing it, but arthritis makes martial arts hard.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Sel Nar posted:

I think you forgot the multiple counts of practicing surgery without a liscence, considering how he went after those sternums with the industrial equivalent of a motherfucking bonesaw.

Those were reflected heavily in the counts of Second Degree Murder and Aggravated Mayhem. I confess I simply didn't think of that aspect of it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Kopijeger posted:

Funny, I didn't manage to dechipher it the first time I heard it. Bobbin truly mangled it, but it seems like he was trying to say "Jørgen Setermo" (maybe Sætermo). Jørgen is as Norwegian and Danish variant of George, at any rate.

Close, yeah. And to be fair to Bobbin, I didn't notice Patreon had stripped out special characters until after I'd made the pledge, which might've helped the pronunciation some.

• Locked thread