Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Pulled 3 plates on deadlift finally. It was actually really easy, perhaps could have hit a double. Also my Inzer lever belt came in. Feels weird with squats but felt right at home using it on deadlifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Finally getting back at it after a bad grade 2 ankle sprain (gently caress cardio forever).

Watched a dude deadlift 7 plates off the ground, halfway up, then he had to drop it.
Made me feel lovely for benching only a bit over bodyweight.
He felt lovely for not locking out that 7 plate lift.

We are all forever weak. Though for real that guy was huge i hope I can get that big before I die.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I had to squat by putting a regular bar on the outside hooks of the smith machine because this other guy said he was going to use the squat rack when I walked in. He did curls in it and watched my brother and I squat out in the middle of the floor.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Finally getting back at it after a bad grade 2 ankle sprain (gently caress cardio forever).

Watched a dude deadlift 7 plates off the ground, halfway up, then he had to drop it.
Made me feel lovely for benching only a bit over bodyweight.
He felt lovely for not locking out that 7 plate lift.

We are all forever weak. Though for real that guy was huge i hope I can get that big before I die.

You must work out at an awesome gym if you even have access to bars that can fit 7 plates

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

feelix posted:

You must work out at an awesome gym if you even have access to bars that can fit 7 plates

University gym.
Gotta let the football players get huge and make us dat money.
(The plates are also very thin, they're the pure metal ones that are only about 1 1/4", maybe 1 1/2" wide)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

University gym.
Gotta let the football players get huge and make us dat money.
(The plates are also very thin, they're the pure metal ones that are only about 1 1/4", maybe 1 1/2" wide)

The gym at my Uni was also very nice but surely the football players don't work out at the public (or at least general student and staff) gym?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
They have a separate indoor stadium they no doubt have equipment at, but I think they also have workouts scheduled before the gym opens in the morning. (I know baseball and track for sure does, haven't had any football students yet.)

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

feelix posted:

I could fit 7 plates and clips on the bars at the 24 hour fitness type place I went to years ago. I think that's normal for what you can fit on a bar.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I saw this and thought of you guys. Stay strong.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

are there people 👫who actually thinking 🤔💭💭sucking 😏dick 🍆💦is gay?✋❌👬

1. you're sharing👍🍖 protein🍗

2. you're 😏👌admiring masculine💪 🍆👀physique😩😩

3. being in the vacinity of other ⬆️high ⬆️testosterone males 👬👬👅⤴️increases ⤴️your own testosterone👌👍👅

eating pussy 😿🙅‍♂️is gay 👨‍❤️‍👨because you're litterally slurp😏ing down ⤵️estrogen⤵️and long term relationships have been proven to ⬇️lower ⬇️testosterone.

spartans 🏋️‍♀️💪had gay 👨‍❤️‍👨👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨orgies👅💦 all the 🕡🕜time 🕐🕟and they were the 📈⬆️height of 👍👨‍❤️‍👨masculinity. 💪😩you bet they were at ❗️least ❗️fondling eachothers test producers.

all these ☀️summer ☀️DYEL's piss 😑me off😡😡their 😍twink😜bodies don't ❌understand, but in 🕐time i'm sure they'll get it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
First real workout of 2018. Chose the giant yuppie gym. Last 3 days were spent on a really taxing hike (sidenote, why the gently caress do downhills hurt so much more than uphills?) so I don't feel all that guilty.

Got some weird slimming/appetite suppressant/metabolism boost supplementy stuff. It's working like a motherfucker. Basically don't feel the urge to eat, just know, academically, that I should.

Orientation lady at the giant yuppie gym got very nervous when I mentioned Stronglifts, losing 30 kg last year, and planning to lose 15 more this year; she told me I was probably too advanced for the basic freebie "how to gym" stuff and pointed me toward some of their lifting-oriented PTs instead. Did my usual 5x5 on some really nice, well-maintained equipment. Gonna see if I can score some free intro PT sessions to learn how to make my arms and shoulders nicer.

2018 is gonna be a hell of a year.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Somfin posted:

Got some weird slimming/appetite suppressant/metabolism boost supplementy stuff. It's working like a motherfucker. Basically don't feel the urge to eat, just know, academically, that I should.

I'm really drunk and not sure if this is ironic or not but goddamn what ridiculous bullshit.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

doverhog posted:

I'm really drunk and not sure if this is ironic or not but goddamn what ridiculous bullshit.

Don't you take my magic feather away from me motherfucker

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
start new strongman/PL hybrid training tomorrow :getin: 12 week program with new PT. Dude is a loving cyborg. Can't wait. Was nice hearing my bench technique isn't trash, too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My shoulder feels okay but I still can't gym because my brother stole my car.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I had to squat by putting a regular bar on the outside hooks of the smith machine because this other guy said he was going to use the squat rack when I walked in. He did curls in it and watched my brother and I squat out in the middle of the floor.

Thursday evening there was a guy in the squat rack doing planks between his barbell row sets

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
after a year and a half i think i am ready to start thinking about maybe trying to find my 1rm for snatch

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Somfin posted:

(sidenote, why the gently caress do downhills hurt so much more than uphills?)

Physics. Downhill are much, much harder on your joints and use muscles that normally aren't used during walking, because we are designed to walk/run forward on a flat surface most of the time.
This is why people use poles, to take some of the load off of their legs as they go downhill (and to get more purchase on tough uphills).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
People use poles because they're cheap and their women are pretty.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Somfin posted:

Don't you take my magic feather away from me motherfucker

Why not just zap your brain into more reps by buying this $600 (on sale from $750!) pair of headphones that electrocute your head for...reasons?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5FM1AZ/

It works! Just check out this glowing review:

quote:

Reading my dairy right now for this review I read for the first day "the weight training felt different today in that I was able to effortlessly reach 'failure.' Hard to explain properly but it seems that 'restraints' where lifted and I could move my arms with a greater control..." My other dairy entries read pretty much the same and can be summed up with this one "Whatever 'restraints' I had in the past seemed to have been lifted...I have more will power, drive, push in my usual workouts..."

Here's a dude with... 10 million subscribers (holy poo poo!) trying them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG0Kf06nu3U

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

baw posted:

after a year and a half i think i am ready to start thinking about maybe trying to find my 1rm for snatch
I'm too afraid to snatch without a coach.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

nooneofconsequence posted:

I'm too afraid to snatch without a coach.

I've been doing better without one than with the bad one I tried. Just don't go heavy for months longer than you'd expect to normally.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

i think taking video of yourself is essential if you're gonna try to learn it without a coach. there are a countless tiny things you can do wrong without even knowing it

and of course watch a lot of Max Aita

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=106tQgIsCk0

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
:agreed:

Chad is doing a powerlifting seminar near me in February and I think I'm gonna go.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

UnfurledSails posted:

Why not just zap your brain into more reps by buying this $600 (on sale from $750!) pair of headphones that electrocute your head for...reasons?

Because I just wanna buy some rocket-pop-flavoured snake oil okay :saddowns:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Dum Cumpster posted:

:agreed:

Chad is doing a powerlifting seminar near me in February and I think I'm gonna go.

Update: I'm going.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Dum Cumpster posted:

Update: I'm going.

:sotw:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Is a caloric deficit of 500 recommended for a cut because 3500 cal = 1 lb for a week, and it's easier to maintain, or am I likely to lose more muscle if I cut harder? Because I'm fat enough where I don't feel hungry if I'm ~1000 under my TDEE.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's one pound and easy to maintain. Greg Nockols did a video on how fast you can lose weight without losing muscle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER0XQEWyqjo

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I might try doing my 5/3/1 in the 3/5/1 order this cycle. I kinda doubt it really makes a difference but it'll freshen things up a bit.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

Is a caloric deficit of 500 recommended for a cut because 3500 cal = 1 lb for a week, and it's easier to maintain, or am I likely to lose more muscle if I cut harder? Because I'm fat enough where I don't feel hungry if I'm ~1000 under my TDEE.
You can lose around 1% bw per week without losing notable muscle mass provided you eat and train well. Especially true if you're over ~15%-18% bf as a guy.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I think I might try doing my 5/3/1 in the 3/5/1 order this cycle. I kinda doubt it really makes a difference but it'll freshen things up a bit.

I did it for 3 cycles with 7th week deloads and found that you probably really need the 4th week deloads because going back to 3+ week straight after 1+ week is really hard work and quite taxing. I endes up going back to nornal 531

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

My legs don't work today after squats and other leg stuff on Saturday. Sitting down is hard and stairs are, uh, challenging.

Never take two weeks off.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Sludge Tank posted:

I did it for 3 cycles with 7th week deloads and found that you probably really need the 4th week deloads because going back to 3+ week straight after 1+ week is really hard work and quite taxing. I endes up going back to nornal 531

I don't know if it's my body bouncing back from being a drunky, or what but I rarely take deloads...well not rarely, I take them every 2-3 cycles, but not as much as you are supposed to and I generally feel fine. I even add extra heavier 5s or 3s after my 5/3/1 sets, on top of 5x3@90 for the opposite lift. A lot of that weight is sub maximal though, if that's the right term. Like I've stayed caught up with my training maxes enough that the weight I do with my 5x3 isn't really all that close to my 3 rep max. Today is Bench and I'll OHP 105x3 for 5 sets after. My actual 3 rep max on OHP is probably like 115 atm. This all might change if my TM starts to get close to my real max though.

Either way, doesn't matter. I still think I'm going to hop on nSuns when I'm ready to start a bulk in a few weeks just to see what high volume does.

edit: Actually all that is just for upper body. I'm just doing a linear deal for my legs(squat twice, deadlift once, sometimes twice a week) since I was building up lost strength, so that might be why.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 9, 2018

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
My ex girlfriend that took me to court for walking past her at the gym has now made a facebook post about how I gave her body image issues by verbally abusing her and shaming her 'squishy bits' for 2 years. Obviously none of this actually happened, because she's a total loon, but still. Good poo poo.

imagine being so swole that you give people body image issues by merely existing.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Defiant Sally posted:

imagine being so swole that you give people body image issues by merely existing.

my new goal in life

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
165x10 on bench 5+ tonight. Left a grinder in the tank as usual. One rep max calculator puts that at 225 if I use 11 reps. I have my doubts about it being dead on, but it does mean I'm really close imo.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
First session of strongman training today. Only got up to deads 160kg for 5x3 for technique work. Corrected my form really easily tho which is encouraging. Gonna be a tough pill to swallow to not lift heavy for a while.

Doing monday: squat bench, t
ues: deadlift
, thurs: strongman stuff, loaded carries etc etc and
friday more overhead and hypertrophy work. So loving pumped for this. Hopefully compete at the end of the year in the under-105's.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 9, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

165x10 on bench 5+ tonight. Left a grinder in the tank as usual. One rep max calculator puts that at 225 if I use 11 reps. I have my doubts about it being dead on, but it does mean I'm really close imo.

Instead of using a calculator like a nerd do some heavy singles ffs it's fun.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Defiant Sally posted:

My ex girlfriend that took me to court for walking past her at the gym has now made a facebook post about how I gave her body image issues by verbally abusing her and shaming her 'squishy bits' for 2 years. Obviously none of this actually happened, because she's a total loon, but still. Good poo poo.

Holy poo poo that’s a rad story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Doms is wierd for old me.

Highschool me would lift and be sore the next morning.

Now I feel fine fine the next day until I drive home from work or something and have to flop out of the car.