Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i did, nothing unusual there

huh. no idea why i got lucky, then

unless it's because i looked up mr. robot on imdb once, which would actually make it way loving worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Does waterfox have the same addon support as firefox or is that just the wildest in that regard?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DaTroof posted:

check your addons for something called looking glass

i dont have this add on, op. your holding it wrong.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
firefox is starting to play the facebook game, where they rename privacy settings and restore intrusive defaults in every new release, forcing users to play whack-a-mole

the looking glass bullshit made me want to disable "study" deployment and i was very unhappy to discover that all my other privacy settings (search suggestions, send reports to mozilla, send usage to mozilla) had been reset to "mmm yeah do it"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods please rename thread "firefox conspiracy zone" tia

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

why is noscript asking for the ability to read my download history? that seems weird and outside of the scope of what it's supposed to do

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i don't have the addon that reddit is mad about

hope this helps, op

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i looked it up and it turns out it's for a new feature where you can export/import settings and the firefox notification fails to mention that it has to ask for permission each time before it has to do anything

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

wait, wasn't that part of an opt-in program for testing new features?

like, that's a loving terrible way to abuse that in any case, but i think it only affected the people opted into the test program, not all firefox users

it was opt-out

worse, the new version of firefox re-set it to "in" for folks who previously opted out

this is just a gigantic cockup

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I installed uBlock Origin on a customer's computer and when I went to the add-ons tab the ad-addon was there. This was not the sort of person who would know of or agree to anything unusual on their computer

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was opt-out

worse, the new version of firefox re-set it to "in" for folks who previously opted out

no you see by failing to explicitly opt out you've actually opted in

that's how those words work, right?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was opt-out

"auto opt-in"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
thank you again to the mods for the title change

stop installing random unsigned extensions and your poo poo won't get opted in

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it's easier to avoid random extensions when they aren't pushed as a "study" by moz com

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:tinfoil:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The_Franz posted:

firefox on linux uses libffmpeg for video playback, which does support hardware video decoding

i thought that was only encoding, not decoding

as far as i know, firefox has never had any hw accel video decode in linux, only a vaapi-enabled chromium can provide that...

(case in point, if you in "chrome://media-internals" see "FFmpegVideoDecoder", youre not getting hw accel decode, it should read "GpuVideoDecoder")

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1210727

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yeah this is just one of several "standards" for hw decoding

the best-supported option is vdpau, the nvidia "standard" for offload. libva, the intel option, is new.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

i thought that was only encoding, not decoding

as far as i know, firefox has never had any hw accel video decode in linux, only a vaapi-enabled chromium can provide that...

(case in point, if you in "chrome://media-internals" see "FFmpegVideoDecoder", youre not getting hw accel decode, it should read "GpuVideoDecoder")

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro

it supports vaapi and vdpau decoding. the path it takes might not be as efficient as it could be if the frames end up taking a round trip, but it can still reduce cpu usage quite a bit.

building hw video decoding directly into ff just means that you wouldn't need the libffmpeg dependency to play most videos anymore

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah this is just one of several "standards" for hw decoding

the best-supported option is vdpau, the nvidia "standard" for offload. libva, the intel option, is new.

vdpau is not getting that much attention lately considering it's a nvidia thing. libva also has amdgpu support, and it also supports vdpau as a driver. so it would be enough for firefox to build in vaapi support to get some real accel going. vaapi on my skylake dell accelerates h264, vp8 and vc1 through intel

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im the spending effort on desktop linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fart simpson posted:

im the spending effort on desktop linux

chrome and firefox both put a lot of effort into desktop linux

(it is a distinctly second class platform in the chrome case, but it is, nevertheless, well-supported. everything just takes longer to reach linux)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ok now noscript isn't remembering whitelist settings

what the hell is going on

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sometimes ublock just doesn't work on page load either

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I have a similar issue, right after starting FF for the first time of the day, reopening its old tabs; if the active tab is a youtube window, the ad will play. :tinfoil: Press F5 and everything is fine again.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the browser is so fast now that the addons can't keep up

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
lately it's been total poo poo with video. when i try to use facebook video chat and browse at the same time the video gets all fucky. this doesn't happen in chome so it's not my computer. what to heck moz

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Stick Insect posted:

I have a similar issue, right after starting FF for the first time of the day, reopening its old tabs; if the active tab is a youtube window, the ad will play. :tinfoil: Press F5 and everything is fine again.

same issue for me

also videos in embedded tweets dont play in firefox unless i go to twitter itself

e: went back to opera for a bit and i forgot a browser with worse font rendering than ff existed

huhwhat fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 28, 2017

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
does anyone know of a firefox extension thats like a "personal local HSTS" implementaion? if i successfully connect to a site over HTTPS, id like to then have my browser refuse to connect over plain HTTP for at least the same browser session, and show a warning page (that can be bypassed) if the site certificate becomes invalid in that time

i know of a few sites that play fast and loose with redirecting between http and https due to misconfigured web servers, and that isnt likely to change any time soon for various reason,s but i would like to flip a switch saying "always use https for this site"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/https-everywhere/

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the browser is so fast now that the addons can't keep up

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

google refuses to enable u2f against firefox :laugh:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Progressive JPEG posted:

dg00g is bad

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

are tweets not properly embedding for anyone else, now? i've disabled all addons and they still aren't embedding

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Rex-Goliath posted:

are tweets not properly embedding for anyone else, now? i've disabled all addons and they still aren't embedding

yeah, i think someone in qcs said its a twitter thing and you have to enable third party cookies which lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

firefox is doing you a favor

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Agile Vector posted:

enable third party cookies

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Progressive JPEG posted:

do they enable it for IE or any other browser, or is it implicitly chrome-only/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

do they enable it for IE or any other browser, or is it implicitly chrome-only/

edge just puts anything that helps in its useragent these days

as i used it on my wp phone when that change happened it was a bit of a revelation how everything started working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

edge just puts anything that helps in its useragent these days

as i used it on my wp phone when that change happened it was a bit of a revelation how everything started working

lol that they would even bother looking at that because everyone has been doing that since the inception of the web browser

• Locked thread