Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

depends on how you define workstation i guess. anything dual-socket will be legit, but there's not much of that. beyond that anything single socket that supports xeons and ecc should count, and gigabyte, asus, et al. have something it's just hard to find unless you go digging for it on their site.

in fairly sure workstation in this case means "cheaper than consumer tier motherboard without marketing I dislike", and not legitimate boards like $500 WS C621E SAGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

in fairly sure workstation in this case means "cheaper than consumer tier motherboard without marketing I dislike", and not legitimate boards like $500 WS C621E SAGE

no, workstation in my case would actually mean at least some variants support multiple sockets, ECC, and so on

like something equivalent to what would be in an oldschool Mac Pro, or an Intel-based Sun or SGI workstation

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eschaton posted:

no, workstation in my case would actually mean at least some variants support multiple sockets, ECC, and so on

like something equivalent to what would be in an oldschool Mac Pro, or an Intel-based Sun or SGI workstation

well, those are made just by almost any motherboard manufacturer that exists

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
asus pegatron

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
compal makes all

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
well for dual socket + ECC workstations I think you're going to be going with supermicro, though if you want to go all out on the insanity, asrock just launched a micro-ATX threadripper board :getin:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
https://twitter.com/dragosr/status/949822668563365889

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

:discourse:

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

MyCloud! YourCloud! HisCloud! EverybodysCloud!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yay cloud

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
so you're saying that there's some

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ProjektorBoy posted:

so you're saying that there's some

gently caress you for making that joke. gently caress me for getting it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my appartment complex door code is abab so the buttons a and b are in markedly different colour than the rest

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
why'd you post zack? :confused:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

who even makes workstation and non-gamercrap consumer Intel-chipset motherboards these days?

asus, supermico, tyan

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

intel currently sells special "workstation" chips in the lga2011 socket, the xeon e3 1600 series. they're almost as cheap as a consumer chip but they have large caches and ecc is enabled.

the next step up is two sockets, and two sockets cost a lot more than twice as much.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
while we are talking about chips, "threadripper" would have been a way cooler brand for server chips than "epyc"

totally wasted on the gamerz

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
does threadripper support ecc? i seem to remember it not having ecc

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

does threadripper support ecc? i seem to remember it not having ecc

Ryzen, Threadripper, and Epyc all work with ECC memory.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
there's people in the replies saying this was fixed in november https://twitter.com/erichalbritter/status/950035659422547970

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
probably just changed it to a different backdoor password

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lol from the Techspot article linked:

quote:

Owners of Western Digital NAS drives are not safe on local area networks, either. Specially crafted HTML image and iFrame tags can be used on websites to make requests to devices on a local network using predictable host names. No user interaction is required other than visiting a malicious webpage.

the world wide web was a mistake

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nalin posted:

Ryzen, Threadripper, and Epyc all work with ECC memory.

my recollection is that they work with but are not 'validated' or w/e

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That was with the original Ryzen, but they advertise ECC for Threadripper directly on the product page so they probably did whatever "validation" was needed by that point.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

there's a fairly major manufacturer of glass curtain-walls in north america that buys nothing but cad stations built around consumer grade motherboards and the 2fast2furious pcgaming videocard of the day, because it saves nearly 50% per workstation over whatever optiplex model and certified drivers don't mean poo poo in cad and solidworks these days

poo poo, if you read the trash CAD magazines they TELL you to buy whitebox gaming poo poo over real vendor supported systems. that whole industry is a joke

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
well yeah, what else are you going to do, deal with centralized IT? just buy whatever machine youw ant for what you need, and if you need, get a consumer wireless router and plug that in, clone the officially supported mAC address to it and do whatever you want behind that

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

who even makes workstation and non-gamercrap consumer Intel-chipset motherboards these days?

what are the relevant gamercrap attributes you need to avoid, functionally?

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m not au courant, what’s the functional effect of that?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

ryzen has ecc capability, but if it fails you won't get warranty because it's not officially supported. in threadripper and epyc it's officially supported.

why do you care what's on the inside of a black box?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

gets you some very interesting attention if you try to go through security with it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

vOv posted:

gets you some very interesting attention if you try to go through security with it

fair enough, I’ve not taken a desktop PC through security before

does the plastic show up on X-ray, then?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

if you're not careful when you're plugging your mouse in you can shoot yourself

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

iirc that's actually a heatsink, so it's aluminum

e: wait that one just looks like a plastic cover over a heatpipe, there's definitely one that was actually solid metal and a heatsink though

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

i don't actually know, i was just making poo poo up

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

plastic shows up just fine on x-ray, though airport screening systems don't generally hilight it like they do metal.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Subjunctive posted:

the #1 attribute I want to avoid is the assumption I’ll throw it away for something newer in a year so they don’t have to provide firmware updates

I’m also just fine without features like LED control and overclocking support that just makes things unstable

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

day 3 additional:

Holography of Wi-Fi radiation by Friedemann Reinhard
- good talk on visualing wi-fi radiation as holograms building upon recent prior research. academic but covers a lot of real world applications. security assessment doesn't seem to care about long-term recon of fixed buildings (e.g. embassies) instead focusing on reactional recon e.g. in tactical engagements. q&a is good but only one question tries to tackle this premise

this is pretty neat to see. My graduate studies involved doing image formation like this at radar frequencies (so could be a little higher) but essentially trading off signal processing for dragging a small antenna around an aperture instead of building a huge array in the first place. He ends up talking about this, like coming up with bistatic radar concepts but he has the same problem of angular resolution as a function of lambda--as wavelength goes down to get more useful images, signal attenuation through most materials goes up.

From a security perspective, this would be really neat to put a long-dwell system in with some disguised apertures. At the cost of some cheap signal processing, you could move around some reasonably sized sensing antennas and over time map out emissions from stations. Even weird artifacts from doing this over a long period of time (where the emitters might move around) would probably yield interesting artifacts like traffic patterns of smartphones, computers, etc. Neat stuff, thanks for sharing your writeup.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
lol twitter

https://twitter.com/MikeWehner/status/950089795908366343

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

that rules

• Locked thread