Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

On my 2nd playthrough of CS1, I did it on Nightmare, and resolved to build the characters based on what I thought they intended. The one that surprised me as really useful, and an interesting change to the flow was building Machias as an immovable object. As high as possible: HP, def/adf, support abilities - no emphasis on anything attack based.

Others pointed out that this game is really about blitz tactics, yet having him as an unkillable, pure support type ended up being useful really often and just changed things up. Further, on some of the toughest bosses that have party-wipe abilities, he'd normally still be standing, to give me a 2nd or 3rd chance. I just mention it all, because I didn't expect that going in, and he was kind of a 3rd-tier member for me before hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Animal Strap set
Cold Steel was my first Trails game and now I make sure to visit every shop multiple times per chapter so I don't miss those things ever again

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Captain Lavender posted:

On my 2nd playthrough of CS1, I did it on Nightmare, and resolved to build the characters based on what I thought they intended. The one that surprised me as really useful, and an interesting change to the flow was building Machias as an immovable object. As high as possible: HP, def/adf, support abilities - no emphasis on anything attack based.

Others pointed out that this game is really about blitz tactics, yet having him as an unkillable, pure support type ended up being useful really often and just changed things up. Further, on some of the toughest bosses that have party-wipe abilities, he'd normally still be standing, to give me a 2nd or 3rd chance. I just mention it all, because I didn't expect that going in, and he was kind of a 3rd-tier member for me before hand.

Interesting. I'm kinda doing something a little similar.

For example, I'm building Alisa as a speed-caster. She inherently has high speed, the highest of all casters, and with Angel L5 and the Golden Bell to reduce casting delay, it lets you fire Space arts off very quickly, as in for fast arts like Golden Sphere or Dark Matter, she can cast 3 or more of them in a row. Of course, that's largely due to a bug where reduced casting delay stacks the two -50% to give -100% instead of giving -75%.

On the advice of others, I turned Machias into a status-inflicting powerhouse by giving him the Juggler MQ to inflict random status effects, and the Chaos quartz to increase the length they last, and taking advantage of his AoE attacks to hit a lot of people.

It's a bit unfortunate that the game hands out like one-third of the Master Quartz's in the last chapter so you don't get a lot of time to play with them, because there are some interesting ones in that bunch. I guess that's what carrying things over for NG+ is for though.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 7, 2018

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I've just obtained the orbal gear in The Third and my question is: are there other doors I can revisit for cool stuff or was Tita's special?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's just that one with two parts

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Re: TXanadu translation oddities, someone on the translation staff is definitely a Lovecraft fan, and there's a moment where Kou or someone says "Hastur knows" in place of God knows. Other than that, they keep saying "walking the earth like Caine" and I'm not sure if that's a typo or a reference to something.

e: to make this post more than me bitching about the translation, I finished it last night, and it was a solid 8/10 game that I'm definitely getting the sequel to whenever it comes out. I think I liked the overall slower pace of the fights compared to Ys, but having played on Normal, they could have easily been a bit harder since I was breezing through most of the dungeons towards the end and especially in the afterstory. Platforming on ice terrain on the other hand can go gently caress itself.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 7, 2018

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Captain Lavender posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever used a defense quartz on purpose unless it was a locked earth slot, so it’s pretty cool to know it can let you survive boss wipes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a reference to Kung Fu

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BrightWing posted:

I've just obtained the orbal gear in The Third and my question is: are there other doors I can revisit for cool stuff or was Tita's special?
As a FYI: If you win the fight in Anelace's door you get a really great sword for her, so if you failed to do so it'worth trying again. Then if you beat the Nightmare Arena with her in the party it gets powered up to be her best weapon. One of the few "gotchas" in 3rd, along with checking the bookcases for sparkles after every chapter and the not running away from fights thing (which sucks anyway).

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Holy crap, so I'll admit to hyping myself out, but in CS1 when Angelica gives you a sidequest after midterms to help test-drive her bike, and they're giving you all that detailed information on how to handle it, for a split second I thought I was about to get dumped into an actual bike-driving minigame, and it was the coolest thing ever. (Just watching a cutscene of Rean bombing around on it was still pretty neat though)

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

SC Bracer posted:

Re: TXanadu translation oddities, someone on the translation staff is definitely a Lovecraft fan, and there's a moment where Kou or someone says "Hastur knows" in place of God knows. Other than that, they keep saying "walking the earth like Caine" and I'm not sure if that's a typo or a reference to something.

Some translations use the spelling Caine as opposed to Cain for the biblical figure, and I know Vampire the Masquerade uses that spelling for its version of him.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Probably why in Nier 1, Kaine has “the mark”

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

the briar castle in ch. 4 of xanadu is too loving long and im really hoping it's just because this is supposed to be an endcap for the first half of the game

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Billzasilver posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever used a defense quartz on purpose unless it was a locked earth slot, so it’s pretty cool to know it can let you survive boss wipes

Not the auto-49,999 hp attacks, but yeah, some other doozies.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Interesting. I'm kinda doing something a little similar.

For example, I'm building Alisa as a speed-caster. She inherently has high speed, the highest of all casters, and with Angel L5 and the Golden Bell to reduce casting delay, it lets you fire Space arts off very quickly, as in for fast arts like Golden Sphere or Dark Matter, she can cast 3 or more of them in a row. Of course, that's largely due to a bug where reduced casting delay stacks the two -50% to give -100% instead of giving -75%.

On the advice of others, I turned Machias into a status-inflicting powerhouse by giving him the Juggler MQ to inflict random status effects, and the Chaos quartz to increase the length they last, and taking advantage of his AoE attacks to hit a lot of people.

It's a bit unfortunate that the game hands out like one-third of the Master Quartz's in the last chapter so you don't get a lot of time to play with them, because there are some interesting ones in that bunch. I guess that's what carrying things over for NG+ is for though.

My favorite Machias build is Lv 5 Moebius, Chrono Burst and some EP Cuts. Alternating Chrono Burst and Burst Drive makes enemies stop mattering.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Nate RFB posted:

As a FYI: If you win the fight in Anelace's door you get a really great sword for her, so if you failed to do so it'worth trying again. Then if you beat the Nightmare Arena with her in the party it gets powered up to be her best weapon. One of the few "gotchas" in 3rd, along with checking the bookcases for sparkles after every chapter and the not running away from fights thing (which sucks anyway).

Wait, what's this about not ruining from fight? Cause I've been running from the super annoying mobs here and there.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Chrono Burst is for the weak.

Cassius wouldn't use Chrono Burst.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

BrightWing posted:

Wait, what's this about not ruining from fight? Cause I've been running from the super annoying mobs here and there.

300 won battles without running gets you a special quartz. It really, really, really is not worth it though. There's also one you get for running from 300 battles

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Can I play YS 1 blind without missing anything or is there important missable stuff for cool endings.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not endings but there are a few easily missable items that will make it virtually impossible to progress if you don't have them. There's nothing permanently missable though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Perfect, thanks.

Am I missing anything cool by not playing on Nightmare?

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

You miss out on fighting the hardest version of the dumbest boss in Falcom history.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

fadam posted:

Perfect, thanks.

Am I missing anything cool by not playing on Nightmare?

The feeling of fire ants crawling under your skin

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Oh hey if you're playing on a high refresh rate monitor you will want to force your refresh rate and fps down to 60.

Otherwise the final boss does some dumb broken poo poo.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Holy poo poo. The third guardian fight. Jesus that was pure luck on my part, got three 200 cp Grail Spheres off.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

early concept art for FC

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

those eyes :stonk:

I see Olivier and Mueller survived more or less unchanged though :lol:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Who's that man on the right with the fantastic butt?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BrightWing posted:

Holy poo poo. The third guardian fight. Jesus that was pure luck on my part, got three 200 cp Grail Spheres off.

Yeeeeep.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BrightWing posted:

boom goes the dynamite

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Who's that man on the right with the fantastic butt?

during Trails in the Sky's development Cassius' title was "The Divine Glutes"

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 7, 2018

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Really Pants posted:

those eyes :stonk:

I see Olivier and Mueller survived more or less unchanged though :lol:

I own the art book that contains these sketches. There's a lot of early-crazy stuff in there. Walter has some hilarious early designs and one of Nial's early sketches would make him look like he's about to strangle a kitten and enjoy himself while he's at it.

The one of Olivier and Mueller together is obviously more recent. The ones right above it are also pictures of Olivier.

And yeah, the butt-sketch is part of Cassius' page.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Well. Stuck on some geometry in the 7th plane. Can't move. Dang it game.

"We're FAMILY, Kevin!" got me in a big way

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I guess in the grand scheme of a falcom game I'm not far in Tokyo Xan, but when does it "pick up?" Currently in the middle of God App storyline after the first dungeon. I think I'm still in the long, long tutorial.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Are there any convenient auto saves for you to use? They're the page of saves that are to the left of the first page.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BrightWing posted:

the part coming up is pretty awesome

and by "part coming up" I guess I actually mean "rest of the game"

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tae posted:

I guess in the grand scheme of a falcom game I'm not far in Tokyo Xan, but when does it "pick up?" Currently in the middle of God App storyline after the first dungeon. I think I'm still in the long, long tutorial.

Next chapter is when the first instance of something a bit more serious happens and then there's an intermission where the party decides to start their own little paranormal fighting club and it picks up pretty fast from there.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is getting the ??? capsule toy from each machine in Tokyo Xanadu just a matter of saving, blowing a few thousand yen, then loading if it doesn't drop? Or do I need to do something specific to make sure it's in the drop table?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

BrightWing posted:

That happened to me too. I just loaded an auto save and replayed the last two minutes again

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

Is getting the ??? capsule toy from each machine in Tokyo Xanadu just a matter of saving, blowing a few thousand yen, then loading if it doesn't drop? Or do I need to do something specific to make sure it's in the drop table?

Nope that's it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Billzasilver posted:

That happened to me too. I just loaded an auto save and replayed the last two minutes again

I only lost a minute with auto save but it was still annoying. Kevin Grahm: Knight of the church, Hunter of heritecs. Defeated by a gently sloping surface.