Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Hello I would like a time machine to whenever the actual court events happen because 100 pages of this IANAL conversation is going to kill me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol that you think there will only be 100 pages of it by February

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
As there is no legal authority in space at the moment, I am declaring myself now chief space lawyer.

So now that I AM a lawyer, I sentence Crytek to 6 months in the sex cells on Chris's Osiris.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mazz posted:

Hello I would like a time machine to whenever the actual court events happen because 100 pages of this IANAL conversation is going to kill me

You don't anal? How prudish.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

For the first time in history, the court requires the use of a Xi'an translator.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Nyast posted:

Exclusively = only us in the entire world can use Cryengine for Star Citizen -> but that's an obvious thing since only CIG owns the SC IP. Why use the word "exlusively" here then ? I mean, they could ( / WILL ) certainly argue that, but it doesn't make much sense to me either.

Not to unjustly enrich CIG's defense strategy (hello, sad intern!), but if there were some set of circumstances where CIG did lose the IP to Star Citizen -- say, for example, that CIG used it as collateral for a big loan and didn't repay it and WHOOPS now everything belongs to a bank who then sells it to another studio to make a little of their money back -- then this interpretation would actually have some teeth.

It'd be Crytek saying "We made a deal with you for CryEngine, so if you (or this 'Mr. Robert Space' you claim to work with) shut down development and the IP lands somewhere else, whoever wants to make 'Star Citizen But It's Actually A Game This Time' has to come back and make a new deal with us."

(edit: but seriously, sad intern, it seems like CIG definitely broke the terms of their agreement with Crytek in more than one way, so even if you could convince a court to buy this interpretation, it wouldn't help much in the end. Start looking for a new job now and avoid the rush!)

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 7, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dusty Lens posted:

The kill switch theory is my favorite.

It’s pretty rich that an old “friend of Chris” was employed at Crytek at the time and was party to crafting Crytek’s confusingly written contracts. It seems beneath neither Chris nor Ortwin’s character to collude in a mutually beneficial act of contract sabotage.

Yet at the same time, we have seen over and over and over again how hopelessly incompetent and shortsighted they are. These are people who have months worth of headstarts to prepare for livestreams aimed at tens of thousands whom they’re hoping to filch funds from — and time and again they’ve botched it in ways that baffle the imagination. These are people who write and approve epic meltdowns by their spokesman in response to bad press and thereby turn containable brushfires into raging firestorms spreading thrice as far and fast and burning their own asses in the process.

So yes, it isn’t beneath their character, not in the slightest, but it is unthinkably beyond their competence.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Chalks posted:

This is an excellent question.
Yes, this is an important point particularly if the judge rules the clause is legally ambiguous. The GLA typically has an "incorporation" clause (§10.1) which in real English says that this document is the final and true memorialization of the agreement and that clauses written on scraps of napkin the night before between Ortwin and Crytek don't count. So if you wave that napkin around later in a dispute, the other party can go nu-uh, if we really wanted it, it'd be written in this here document. So a lot of outside documentation will be ignored in normal circumstances. That might be bad for Crytek!

But. If the document is drafted in such a way that it is ambiguous on reading it and after combing back and forth the court goes :shrug: then we can look at other things to help clarify the clause. Among other things you can argue "well, we didn't write it in this specific way because in the industry it is generally understood to mean x, y, and z." If Crytek pulls out other GLAs with other licensees that holds them to the engine till the project is completed, that's very good for Crytek. When we meant "exclusive," well, we meant you had to see it through to the end, with our engine.

The problem of course is that most game projects aren't open ended (as we keep hammering on the cultists over and over again) and so it usually isn't an issue. You don't want to change engines, it's the classic sign of a troubled development. You finish whatever garbage you got within a year or two, chalk it up to experience, and try again with the sequel with whatever tools you like. I doubt anyone could have envisioned it going on for this long.

Trilobite posted:

Not to unjustly enrich CIG's defense strategy (hello, sad intern!), but if there were some set of circumstances where CIG did lose the IP to Star Citizen -- say, for example, that CIG used it as collateral for a big loan and didn't repay it and WHOOPS now everything belongs to a bank who then sells it to another studio to make a little of their money back -- then this interpretation would actually have some teeth.

It'd be Crytek saying "We made a deal with you for CryEngine, so if you (or this 'Mr. Robert Space' you claim to work with) shut down development and the IP lands somewhere else, whoever wants to make 'Star Citizen But It's Actually A Game This Time' has to come back and make a new deal with us."
The termination clause (8.2) actually addresses this: upon insolvency or inability to pay debts, or assignment for the benefit of creditors (hi Coutts! :wave:) the agreement is in breach and Crytek gets its stuff back. So exclusivity cannot be read in that way because that very contingency has been planned for.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ubik_Lives posted:

I know you're dismissing my posts out of hand, but I'd actually like to get your reasoning on this.

I am not doing that. I respond to things that I find interesting. And even then, since everyone has their own opinions on things, I can only stick with my opinions, while agreeing with others that are in line with my own.

I tend to just block people I don't want to hear from; as I don't deem them to be worthy of my time and/or attention.

quote:

You're saying that if 2.1.2
*snip*
I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm enjoying the Star Citizen train wreck as much as everyone else here. This law suit is a perfect example of whoever loses, we win. But I'd like to actually understand why that section is such a slam dunk.

I don't think anyone here is fighting. We're debating, arguing, and just trying to wrap our heads around a badly worded section of a highly contentious GLA. Which is why the legal system exists.

Now that CIG have responded, Skadden has to respond to that as well. Then maybe CIG will have another go at it before the judge rules on the MtD which I believe she's going to toss. My only hope is that if she notices that 2.1.2 is contentious enough for her to chime on at this stage, that she will do so in her MtD ruling, thus putting us all out of our misery. I expect that, given the nature and intent of the GLA, and my experiences with contracts like this, that she will rule in favor of Crytek, that 2.1.2 means that CIG could only exclusively use CryEngine because ANY other interpretation simply won't make sense, and would go against the spirit and intent of the GLA itself.

quote:

Total aside, am I the first to notice the "First Public Release" conditions in 1.5? Half a million alpha or beta players, game being released as non-beta (does a pre-alpha qualify?), or July 31, 2015, whichever is sooner. Star Citizen is out you guys, we all missed it.

I didn't miss it. I covered it yesterday.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/949626014367469568.html

Specifically:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/949782457267752960

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

big nipples big life posted:

lol that you think there will only be 100 pages of it by February

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfFFiqZ8ZdE

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sunswipe posted:

Thread's moving so fast I can't remember where I saw it, so I'll ask: did I read that the contract in question was drawn up by Ortwin who was working for Crytek at the time?

No. It's the standard Crytek GLA which Ortwin (RSI/CIG partner/co-creator) negotiated and modified obo both sides, with Carl Jones who was also at Crytek. Then Jones, Tracey and others hosed off and went to a new F42-GER down the street from Crytek.

They've been at war every since.

----------------

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Bootcha posted:

If 2.1.2 in this GLA states that CIG must exclusively use CryEngine for Star Citizen...

Is this language different in CryTek GLAs with other companies? And are GLAs with other engines worded the same?
Derek's time to shine!

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
Are lengthy effortposts about the lawsuit still being written by nonlawyers six pages in the future? Because if not I seriously might as well just refund my pledge cancel my forums account.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Star Citizen is non-exclusively bad.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Ben is non-exclusively fat.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I'm non-exclusively gay.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

He may have been involved in the original template that Crytek were using with all parties that the CIG contract was based on. Skadden tried so say that Ortwin never resolved any conflict of interest. You'd have to assume they double checked with Crytek who must have told them that there was no waiver. Then the CIG lawyers / Ortwin did produce some signed waiver that showed it was resolved. That looks like a bit of an omnishambles from Crytek/Skadden.

What I heard happened is that Crytek had no idea such a waiver existed because they never had a copy of it on file. Why is that? Well Ortwin apparently gave a copy to Carl Jones, who apparently didn't see it fit to leave it with the rest of the docs when he hosed off to F42-GER.

Ortwin, enraged, got on a call with FKKS and Skadden to complain and explain that it exists. That's when they threatened Skadden with a Rule 11 complaint.

Skadden said they didn't have a copy.

CIG sent it over.

Skadden said it was just a standard approval by Crytek to allow Ortwin to negotiate for both sides, that it doesn't alleviate the conflict of interest itself - which is true in the eyes of the law - and they were not going to remove it from the ECF. But they didn't remove it. Instead, they reworded it and then made several other edits, notably the amply sprinkling of "intentionally" which to me was a hilarious way of accusing someone of blatant wrong-doing.

I covered this in my thread two weeks ago (before the public knew it even existed) and again yesterday.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

If 2.1.2 in this GLA states that CIG must exclusively use CryEngine for Star Citizen...

Is this language different in CryTek GLAs with other companies? And are GLAs with other engines worded the same?

Why would it not be different if there is an exclusive deal? And it's not the sort of contract that would be public.

The non-exclusive ones for ALL engines, including Unity, UE4, CryEngine, Lumberyard, are all online on their website. You can go read them.

----------------

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

You can go read them.
I'm intentionally non-exclusively not going to do that.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

kw0134 posted:

The termination clause (8.2) actually addresses this: upon insolvency or inability to pay debts, or assignment for the benefit of creditors (hi Coutts! :wave:) the agreement is in breach and Crytek gets its stuff back. So exclusivity cannot be read in that way because that very contingency has been planned for.

Awesome.

It's genuinely ridiculous that CIG didn't just terminate their deal with Crytek officially. If they'd just paid the money they'd agreed to and taken the time to rebuild their hacked-together toolset in Lumberyard, the backers would have never known. It's not like anyone would have noticed the pace of development slowing down or thought there was something weird about having a lot of concept sales for complete bullshit that was nowhere near appearing in the game -- everyone would have just thought, hey, 2017 is exactly like 2016 which was exactly like 2015, things must still be going great!

Hopefully the chapter on CIG that will inevitably be in business ethics textbooks will include a sidebar explaining why you should not break a contract with someone, even if you think they won't be around to sue you or if you really want a new sports car.

edit: Oh, look, the termination clause got posted just below this, and it looks like CIG would have actually had to do something even the backers would notice in order to get out of this deal, like the "send the cash to a holding company, declare bankruptcy, then buy the IP and assets from themselves" plan that got floated around during the Coutts loan saga.

What an absolute shitshow this is. I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 7, 2018

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Trilobite posted:

(edit: but seriously, sad intern, it seems like CIG definitely broke the terms of their agreement with Crytek in more than one way, so even if you could convince a court to buy this interpretation, it wouldn't help much in the end. Start looking for a new job now and avoid the rush!)

None of that will apply.

The Term and Termination clause has ample guidance for that scenario. You should read it. It's actually quite hilarious, actually.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kw0134 posted:

The problem of course is that most game projects aren't open ended (as we keep hammering on the cultists over and over again) and so it usually isn't an issue. You don't want to change engines, it's the classic sign of a troubled development. You finish whatever garbage you got within a year or two, chalk it up to experience, and try again with the sequel with whatever tools you like. I doubt anyone could have envisioned it going on for this long.

Precisely. And if you look at 1.5, it shows that the development was never supposed to be open-ended when the GLA was signed in Nov 2012. They expected that the game would be released by Nov 2014, then gave addition leeway, a date, and number of units which would satisfy the game was being "released".

Then Chris went on a bender and decided to, as he always does, gently caress it all up.

Here we are in 2018. Years later.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Trilobite posted:

Awesome.

It's genuinely ridiculous that CIG didn't just terminate their deal with Crytek officially.

:negative:

You didn't read the term and termination clause, did you? If you did, please point me to the part where either of the two parties could just up and terminate the GLA because they felt like it.

I'll wait.

The fact is, the entire CIG argument hinges on the one thing that CIG cannot do: terminate the GLA. Even if they were no longer using CryEngine, they can't terminate the GLA. Which means that all other parts of it, are in full force and effect, regardless of whether or not they were to exclusively use CryEngine or not.

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 7, 2018

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

D_Smart posted:

My opinionated analysis

I legit found this both funny and charming. Is Derek becoming... self deprecating?

lol no

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I exclusively call that someone called something for the 9th february. Don't quote the poo poo out of this unless you called your parents first.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zzr posted:

I exclusively call that someone called something for the 9th february. Don't quote the poo poo out of this unless you called your parents first.

I'm quoting the poo poo out of this AND I HAVEN'T CALLED MY PARENTS :colbert:

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

big nipples big life posted:

First it has to be interpreted by a judge who may think the contract is so poorly written that there is no point of a trial.

Weak.. very weak.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

TheAgent posted:

enjoy four different legal teams crawling inside your rear end in a top hat

In a perfect world this would be the thread title by now, yet here we are, getting thread title blueballed. I’ll see you in all in court.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

That's him in the wheelchair! The Warlord yells, as he siccs Legal on yet another heretic

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
It would be a shame if Sandi got called to the stand and she was the one who had all the dirt on CIG, since her testimony would wind up getting cut.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

It would be a shame if Sandi got called to the stand and she was the one who had all the dirt on CIG, since her testimony would wind up getting cut.

:laffo::laffo:

----------------

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Star Citizen: evidence from the cutting room floor

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If Crytek wins, Star Citizen is dead and it's hilarious for us.

If Crytek loses, Star Citizen comes out and it's hilarious for us.

I mean, this is it right here. Beating crytek doesn't make SC a game, or good or anything.

Why can't people realize the only reason most of us are posting about the lawsuit is that it's funny.

It's loving :lol: all the way down.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Why would it not be different if there is an exclusive deal? And it's not the sort of contract that would be public.

The non-exclusive ones for ALL engines, including Unity, UE4, CryEngine, Lumberyard, are all online on their website. You can go read them.

OKAY I WILL GAWD JEEZ I HATE YOU DEVELOPER DAD I NEVER GET TO DO WHAT I WANT UGGH!

Okay, so for Free CryEngine specifically: https://www.cryengine.com/ce-terms

quote:

2. Grant of License
2.1. Grant: Subject to strict and continuous compliance with the restrictions of this Agreement Crytek grants to Licensee a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-assignable, non-sublicensable, limited license (the “License”) only to:
2.1.1. to install and run the CRYENGINE pursuant to the CRYENGINE Documentation;
2.1.2. to develop, maintain, extend and/or enhance CRYENGINE pursuant to the CRYENGINE Documentation;
2.1.3. to develop Games using CRYENGINE and to render such Games in object code form (including the CRYENGINE Assets and the CRYENGINE Redistributables) pursuant to the CRYENGINE documentation;
2.1.4. publish, distribute, sell, sublicense or exploit in any other way Games developed and rendered during the Subscription Period in object code form only and only under terms consistent with and no less protective of Crytek’s rights than those contained in this Agreement in perpetuity.

For Unity: http://download.unity3d.com/company/legal/eula

quote:

1. Grant of License
Use Rights. Conditioned upon your compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement and payment of all applicable fees, Unity grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable license: (i) to install and execute the executable form of the Software, solely for internal use by a single person to develop Licensee Content; and (ii) if you have licensed a version of the Software other than a trial or educational version, to distribute the runtime portion of the Software, on a royalty-free basis, solely as embedded or incorporated into Licensee Content and solely to third parties to whom you license or sell Licensee Content pursuant to an agreement that is no less protective of Unity and its licensors as this Agreement. You may not sublicense the rights granted under clause (a)(i), but you may sublicense the rights granted under (a)(ii) solely to third parties to whom you license or sell Licensee Content to act as distributors thereof pursuant to an agreement no less protective of Unity and its licensors as this Agreement.

For Unreal4: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/eula

quote:

1. License Grant
Epic grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable (except as described in this Agreement) license for a single User to use, reproduce, display, perform, and modify the Licensed Technology for any lawful purpose (the “License”). However, the rights that Epic grants you under the License are subject to the terms of this Agreement, and you may only make use of the License if you comply with all applicable terms.
The License becomes effective on the date you accept this Agreement or download the Engine Code or any Content. The License does not grant you any title or ownership in the Licensed Technology.
(...)
Other Restrictions
UE-Only Content
For UE-Only Content, you may exercise your rights under the License only if and to the extent that the UE-Only Content is utilized in combination with the Engine Code. For example, you may not develop or Distribute a Product that consists of or contains UE-Only Content but does not contain and require the Engine Code (including as modified by you under the License) for its use. The UE-Only Content will be subject to all of the terms of this Agreement that apply to Content, as well as the additional limitations described in this paragraph. All references in this paragraph to UE-Only Content include modified versions thereof made by you under the License.

For Lumberyard: https://aws.amazon.com/service-terms/#57._Amazon_Lumberyard_Engine

quote:

57.2 License.
In addition to the rights granted to AWS Content under the Agreement, we also grant you a limited, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable (except to End Users as provided below), non-transferrable license to do the following during the Term:
a. Development: You may use, reproduce, modify, and create derivative works of the Lumberyard Materials to develop and support video games, software, audio-visual works, and other content (each work created through use of the Lumberyard Materials is a “Lumberyard Project”). Lumberyard Projects, excluding any AWS Content and Third Party Content included therein, are Your Content.

Notice what's not in there.

quote:

to exclusively embed {engine} in the {game} and develop the {game} which right shall be sub-licensable pursuant to Sec 2.6);

BUT HEY GUESS WHAT IS EXCLUSIVE?

For Unreal4:

quote:

17. Governing Law and Jurisdiction
You agree that this Agreement will be deemed to have been made and executed in the State of North Carolina, U.S.A., and any dispute will be resolved in accordance with the laws of North Carolina, excluding that body of law related to choice of laws, and of the United States of America. Any action or proceeding brought to enforce the terms of this Agreement or to adjudicate any dispute must be brought in the Superior Court of Wake County, State of North Carolina or the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. You agree to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of these courts. You waive any claim of inconvenient forum and any right to a jury trial. The Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods will not apply. Any law or regulation which provides that the language of a contract shall be construed against the drafter will not apply to this Agreement.

For CryEngine:

quote:

This Agreement shall be governed and construed by the laws of Germany. Place of performance of this Agreement is Frankfurt a.M. (Germany). If the Licensee is defendant, Crytek might, if admissible, determine as court of jurisdiction the court where the Licensee is resident or the court competent for the corporate domicile of Crytek which currently is in Frankfurt a.M. (Germany). If Crytek is the defendant the parties expressively agree on the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Frankfurt a.M. This Agreement on jurisdiction applies to all claims, be they based on contract, on tort or on any other legal basis, arising under or in connection with this agreement. Crytek does not participate in alternate dispute resolution in front of consumer arbitration boards.

And from our own friends at CIG: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/eula

quote:

F. Governing Law.
The laws of California, excluding its conflicts-of-law rules, govern this EULA, any other RSI Terms, and your Account(s); and (ii) you expressly agree that exclusive jurisdiction for any claim or dispute with RSI or relating in any way to this EULA, any other RSI Terms, your Account(s), or your use of any RSI Services resides in the Courts of the State of California, and you further agree and expressly consent to the exercise of personal jurisdiction in the courts of the State of California in connection with any such dispute including any claim involving RSI or its affiliates, employees, contractors, officers, directors, vendors and content providers. As noted in the Terms of Service, your conduct may also be subject to other local, state, national, and international laws.
And here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos

quote:

Governing Law.
The laws of California, excluding its conflicts-of-law rules, govern these Terms of Service, any other RSI Terms, and your Account(s); and (ii) you expressly agree that exclusive jurisdiction for any claim or dispute with RSI or relating in any way to these Terms of Service, any other RSI Terms, your Account(s), or your use of any RSI Services resides in the Courts of the State of California, and you further agree and expressly consent to the exercise of personal jurisdiction in the courts of the State of California in connection with any such dispute including any claim involving RSI or its affiliates, employees, contractors, officers, directors, vendors and content providers. As noted in these Terms of Service, your conduct may also be subject to other local, state, national, and international laws.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 7, 2018

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ItsBildo/status/950085760274894848

quote:

Now THIS is a video to celebrate! Not only has the CIG/CryTek GLA been released, but so has CIG's response and is all but confirmed to throw out CryTek's ERRONEOUS complaint! Hah!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I'm glad that the energy source for this thread is Save! Thanks to their ironclad ToS MtD.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Star Citizen: It depends upon what the meaning of the word "exclusive" is.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Whenever I get start to worry that this lawsuit might not be bringing in the laughs you come to the rescue.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Bootcha posted:

Notice what's not in there.

If those are the standard default templates it is only normal that something as specific as exclusivity of the engine not be there. There are many terms and conditions of a license or contract that usually change from default templates during negotiations. And exclusivity of use is one of those.

If we are looking for comparable examples of other GLA we would need to look into other engine exclusive agreements, not standard default ones.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.