Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Get Apocrypha, impress women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!

I also liked the way the original handled Hamilton's condition better as opposed to this one. Catiua for all her faults looked like she was in actual pain and shrieked in terror, and there was a whole dramatic musical score and everything.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Get the Apocrypha, I wanna give some background setting splerg.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Been working on the apocrypha questline but can't remember how to trigger the next part of the questline - I've done the five fortresses, but the next part's not triggering.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

tithin posted:

Been working on the apocrypha questline but can't remember how to trigger the next part of the questline - I've done the five fortresses, but the next part's not triggering.

Have you done the Occione side story yet?

That too is required.

Don't forget to take Jeunan with you for that one.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mauman posted:

Have you done the Occione side story yet?

That too is required.

Don't forget to take Jeunan with you for that one.

I had not done that! ah well, at least it's easy enough to do AND i'd need to do it anyway..

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So are you going to cheat in the craft books so that your weapons can actually keep up with everyone else?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Man when I look back at this fresh, It's crazy that I've done all these side quests multiple times. There's just soooo much to do.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

So are you going to cheat in the craft books so that your weapons can actually keep up with everyone else?

HERESY!!

It's not a true playthrough if you don't pour over loot spreadsheets and find every book the hard way :colbert:

I jest, you should probably do this. I understand most aren't as nutso as I am

Also, did you pick up any of the level 2 ninjitsu from the fort fights? They're REALLY good. Like really really, like holy poo poo ninja spellcasting just got super strong, good.

Particularly earth and water, as you have relatively easy/early access to weapons that augment those elements. Even then, a full set of +baldur armor/+spirit katanas (and spellcraft 3, gotten from another class) will pump a Ninja's int enough to make the damage drat scary.

mauman fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 5, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mauman posted:

HERESY!!

It's not a true playthrough if you don't pour over loot spreadsheets and find every book the hard way :colbert:

I jest, you should probably do this. I understand most aren't as nutso as I am

Also, did you pick up any of the level 2 ninjitsu from the fort fights? They're REALLY good. Like really really, like holy poo poo ninja spellcasting just got super strong, good.

Particularly earth and water, as you have relatively easy/early access to weapons that augment those elements. Even then, a full set of +baldur armor/+spirit katanas (and spellcraft 3, gotten from another class) will pump a Ninja's int enough to make the damage drat scary.

No, didn't realise that they dropped from there :smith:

Hunt11 posted:

I should do this, but I'm not sure I've got a cheat that brings in the craft books.

worst case scenario i'll tap in the "give 99 of every armour / weapon" cheat, but I'm trying to play this as ~legit~ as possible.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

tithin posted:

No, didn't realise that they dropped from there :smith:

I should do this, but I'm not sure I've got a cheat that brings in the craft books.

worst case scenario i'll tap in the "give 99 of every armour / weapon" cheat, but I'm trying to play this as ~legit~ as possible.

Getting the crafting books is bullshit.

Besides, the second best magic is the summon magic.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

waah posted:

Getting the crafting books is bullshit.

What, you mean spawning and respawning a map until a specific formation with a specific unit type shows up and gives you the opportunity to try to get the unit to drop loot instead of a card isn't a fun use of time?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

waah posted:

That depends on your definition of "Best"

If I wanted sheer single target gently caress YOU damage then Summon magic is the best magic. Nothing else really compares.

And ninjutsu are summons. That's what makes it so powerful that you can get the 2nd level this early in the game if you gear for it (which as I mentioned is not even remotely hard). At base value they're BETTER than the summons everybody else starts out with (and you likely won't get those till post-game). Yeah, sure, they're not as good as normal 2nd level summons but those are super-duper post-game and likely be massive overkill at that point. Plus the mp cost is utterly insane.

2nd level ninjutsu has 3 guaranteed hits (with up a max of 5). Right out of the box with baldur gear/spellcraft and normal levels it will one shot low hp low mind characters (archers and stuff), REALLY hurt/probably kill high hp low mind characters (beserkers, Terror Knights, etc...) or low hp high mind characters (spellcasters), and will seriously hurt everybody else, with no mp needed and with a class type that can practically run across the whole battlefield in one turn (an exaggeration, yes, my point is they have REALLY good mobility). Once you get augment elemental gear (not hard for earth/water), it will one-shot pretty much everything but a beast/dragon, and it ain't gonna just tickle them.

And this doesn't take away too much from a ninja's Superior close target damage either. They still have that AND great ranged damage.

The fact that you can get them so (relatively) early in the game is actually kinda nutso. You just have to know where they are. All of the elements except fire and air drop at the fort fights. Fire drops in the super-duper bonus dungeon only and air drops in one of the Heim-story fights.

I also could have sworn that I mentioned that they dropped here earlier :negative:

Prowler posted:

What, you mean spawning and re-spawning a map until a specific formation with a specific unit type shows up and gives you the opportunity to try to get the unit to drop loot instead of a card isn't a fun use of time?

I do this to pass time at work :shepicide:

Or level grinding, though I finished that recently.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 6, 2018

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm the only one that knows how to use a gun! It's very complicated! Yes! Just me!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm the only one that knows how to use a gun! It's very complicated! Yes! Just me!

You think that's funny, the earliest gun you can even get is level 15. That means you spend 15 levels of a ranged class with a sword and shield cowering away from combat.

Source: Levi, right now.

On a related note THE NEXT UPDATE WILL BE FILLED TO THE BRIM WITH BATTLES that I'll mostly be skipping over apart from one very important one.

BATTLES, YEAH.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This next update is loving enormous, so it's going on the test site so as to save the page.

I spent five hours just writing this poo poo and got hate gifted an anime game as a result

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Well, I for one, am thankful for this lp. The gameplay failed to hold my interest long enough to see all this despite me being really interested in what happens.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tithin posted:

You think that's funny, the earliest gun you can even get is level 15. That means you spend 15 levels of a ranged class with a sword and shield cowering away from combat.

I'm starting to get the impression that not all of these classes are balanced too well.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

RareAcumen posted:

I'm starting to get the impression that not all of these classes are balanced too well.

What gave that away?

There are only like that 10 different guns in the game overall, and most of those require you to spend lots of time with the RNG in chapter 4 side quest dungeons or the post game dungeons.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

they are also heavy as gently caress.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yeah this is where interest in playing the game usually dies as it becomes a grindly slog.

I got in long enough to turn the generic named after me into a lich and quit.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

tithin posted:

On a related note THE NEXT UPDATE WILL BE FILLED TO THE BRIM WITH BATTLES that I'll mostly be skipping over apart from one very important one.

BATTLES, YEAH.

Yes,yes yes. You're going to have to skip a LOT of battles coming up. It's not only okay, it's going to be required.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

tithin posted:

I spent five hours just writing this poo poo and got hate gifted an anime game as a result

Apparently the way to troll him back is to neither accept nor decline the gift, just leave it in eternal limbo.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Just want to say, as someone who loves this game to death (even it's flaws) I really appreciate your lp.

Also, I got a mention in the lp....that makes me happy :downs:

And mildly curious...what game?

Also, my thoughts on fusilers:

They'd be a lot better (even competitive with crossbows and bows) if there were elemental guns available which very quickly becomes a huge deal at this point, and if crossbow finishers wern't so insanely good (fusiler finishers suck in comparison).

That being said, they're still a powerful ranged option in a game where melee eventually becomes outclassed in all but the most extreme circumstances. So they will work if you put effort into them.

I really miss the infinite range of guns in the original though :negative:

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 8, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I linked the game at the end of the last update ;)

I'm glad people are enjoying the lp though, I'm mildly self conscious about my writing and trying to make things funny enough for people to be engaged.

Andy, you said you wanted to nerd out about the apocrypha / background so go for your life my dude, I'll try to work it in to the next update

tithin fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 8, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm enjoying the LP, since I don't have the means to play it and this is a pretty cool tactics-esque game even if the level-system is kinda screwed up.

I'll make an effort to say that I'm enjoying the work more often.

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012
I love this LP and I'm glad it's still going despite all the bullshit.

I never got to play any PlayStation or PSP RPG's, so experiencing them now make me wish I didn't spend that summer with a PS2 with the original controller spending it all playing a game that keep crashing cause the disk broke. That put me off the PlayStation till this day, which also meant I missed a lot of great RPGs. Thank you

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

tithin posted:

I linked the game at the end of the last update ;)

I'm glad people are enjoying the lp though, I'm mildly self conscious about my writing and trying to make things funny enough for people to be engaged.

Andy, you said you wanted to nerd out about the apocrypha / background so go for your life my dude, I'll try to work it in to the next update

:neckbeard:

I was holding THAT in, goodness.

OKAY. I mentioned before that the war between Dorgalua Oberyth and Roderic was that of Monotheism (Dorgalua, Catiua's biological father) and Polytheism (Roderic, among others.)

Both sides agree that Filaha is the big cheese. But is he Yawheh, with only angels and maybe aspects? (Lodis) or is he Zeus, with other gods doing their own thing, but serving him? (Zenobia and the Roshfel religion)

In true Japanese fashion, the answer is yes. Gods really don't care about distinctions. In true human fashion, it matters to the death to humans.

Now, when humans go to war; so do Gods and Demons. The Ogre Battle. So Above, So Below. It's a layered world, so Ogres and Angels can come out and mess around in the physical world if things really get screwed up.
So when the humans go to war with each other OVER the nature of god (s), the armies of the gods fights itself. In this case, it seems like it was Angels (monotheism) vs other Divine Servants (polytheism)

We haven't seen ANY angels, not even with Branta in the remake. They got their asses kicked badly.

So apparently in the Divine World, polytheism won; but in the human world, monotheism won. So the human priests bound up the powers of the divine victors into the shrines; with the Apocrypha. We have the current religious situation, a monotheistic human order with no divine Messengers.

The Apocrypha, the super-special nuke spells that destroy cities. Although they're great spells, we don't get any nuclear city busters. But the Servant sealed in the Shrine say that it's "Magnificent" when you beat them.
These Servants are free now. And at least one of the daughters of the previous Filaha Abuna Mreuva is now an Oracle, a convert to their worship. Said former Abuna who is fond of praying at the NON-SEALED shrine of Isthar, goddess of light, daughter of Filaha. (That place with the crystals where Sherri tried to kidnap her Mreuva, her father.)

Apocrypha
/əˈpäkrəfə/
noun
singular proper noun: Apocrypha
biblical or related writings not forming part of the accepted canon of Scripture.
•writings or reports not considered genuine.

The Filaha Order sealed the truth of polytheism in the Shrines. They made it "Apocrypha", not true. Mreuva quit because he didn't want the burden of knowing this and being in charge with it. But with Branta dead, the position is likely his again. His conflicted faith couldn't allow him to directly free the servants of the other gods and their teachings; but if the situation arise; he would allow it "from a certain point of view."

As what happened to angels...well, that come later. Much later. Let's just say they're no longer Messengers, and only Voices.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I came here to taunt Tithin abiut having to do the earth temple and instead read a great post about the lore of a game that I have put waaay too much time into and didnt know.

Thanks dude for making things make a lot more sense AND for making some sense of the post game dungeons since I always felt that storyline never did anything.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Um... no.

Rodrick vs Dorgalua had nothing to do with a conflict between monotheism and polytheism. Rodrick used the Apocrypha because he wanted to win and rule Valeria at any cost, even his own troops and people.

Where in God's name did you pull the religious war angle from?

And to further nail that coffin shut, the Apocrypha were not known as such in the Japanese version, further losing the religious angle. It was a creative translation, like the ranks of the religious order referencing various forms of Orthodoxy.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 8, 2018

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There were only three guns in the original. Fusiliers were a trash class.

Anyway how are you going to do the apocrypha storyline now? Some of the Mreuva sisters are dead or missing.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

FairGame posted:

There were only three guns in the original. Fusiliers were a trash class.

Anyway how are you going to do the apocrypha storyline now? Some of the Mreuva sisters are dead or missing.

If it's like the PSX/SNES version, you can still do it with the sisters who survive.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Yeah you only need one sister alive to do the side quests.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Wait, really? I thought you needed each sister for the respective element. So Olivia (who lives in all chapters and you recruit her automatically, unlike the ridiculously arcane Sherri recruitment) can just do all 4?

...is Shaman also a terrible class like it was in the original?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

FairGame posted:

Wait, really? I thought you needed each sister for the respective element. So Olivia (who lives in all chapters and you recruit her automatically, unlike the ridiculously arcane Sherri recruitment) can just do all 4?

You can't do Olivia for all four, but you can do Olivia's part in the quest as long as she is alive.\

EDIT: Yeah I don't know about this PSP edition but it is not at all worth it in the original imo, since Olivia was a very useful Priest before her transformation.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There's a LOT more sidequest stuff in the remake, it seems. I ignored most of it since at least in the original, Hell Gate (now Palace of the Dead, I gather) was enough to make you *ludicrously* strong to the point that you could have a unit capable of murdering everything on the map before anything even moved.

...is necro/retissue a thing in this game as well? I'm guessing not since levels seem to be tied to classes rather than characters. But that was almost certainly the most broken of a series of very broken things.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

FairGame posted:

No dude, Shamans are legit in the remake. It is a class that is exclusive to uniques who can use summon magic.

I wish I still had my save where I had just unlocked them and would auto maps with the sisters while they levelled up.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Jason Sextro posted:

You can't do Olivia for all four, but you can do Olivia's part in the quest as long as she is alive.\

EDIT: Yeah I don't know about this PSP edition but it is not at all worth it in the original imo, since Olivia was a very useful Priest before her transformation.

Doesn't help either when the other two sisters that are locked out of the Law path are more likely to be raised as warriors, so when the time came with them, you would lose two good characters in exchange for two very lovely wizards. Not to mention there were alternatives to the Apocrypha spells in the original that did the exact same thing with none of the drawbacks.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

FairGame posted:

There's a LOT more sidequest stuff in the remake, it seems. I ignored most of it since at least in the original, Hell Gate (now Palace of the Dead, I gather) was enough to make you *ludicrously* strong to the point that you could have a unit capable of murdering everything on the map before anything even moved.

...is necro/retissue a thing in this game as well? I'm guessing not since levels seem to be tied to classes rather than characters. But that was almost certainly the most broken of a series of very broken things.

The fiddly max build thing in the remake is the Ogre Blade, which lets you bodyswap generic characters with generic enemies. If you turn a human into a vartan, you can use skill-inherit to teach Canopus stuff he can't usually do.

Really, only a thing to do if max spreadsheets make you excited. Don't get me wrong, that IS a fandom in this game; but it's not for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

There seems to be some confusion here.

As mentioned Shaman is a class now so you don't need every sister to succeed at the sidequest.

So yeah, Olyvia/Sherri could open all the forts all by their lonesome.

Furthermore, Any Shaman can learn Any Apocrypha, though you're likely to focus on one element per shaman.

Even if you play law you'll still get 4 potential shamans, so if you like shamans there's MORE than enough to go around no matter what path you take.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 8, 2018