Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The success of HAS LID indicates that OK Soda was just ahead of its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Javid posted:

New Seasons in Hollywood.

Thanks!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01232004

I read this. Then re-read it and started cracking up at " Hey beef. Fish in your toilet" Just casual absurdity.
and then I realized that Ray used the toilet, with the fish in there.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
BARRY BASS is a bass worthy of Ray's urination.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And so it would seem that Barry Bass got his Fear Factor after all

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

The success of HAS LID indicates that OK Soda was just ahead of its time.

That last panel has a line about “navigating a mine field like a tap dancer in snowshoes” that I’ve used more than once to people in my day to day life.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Don't worry, he's not going to play him Hog and Prawn

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04192004

Donald Trump is a corny douchebag! I'm not afraid to say it!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Frederick is crappy!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Achewood is just so goddamn GOOD

I haven''t made it out of 2004 yet and it's just amazing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Johnny Aztec posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04192004

Donald Trump is a corny douchebag! I'm not afraid to say it!

Ray's right about Dick Dale.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Saw an article about Guy Fieri's zero-star restaurant in Times Square closing, and immediately thought of Achewood

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

That happens when you're dealing with traps.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ray

Ray I'm a prostitute

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MikeCrotch posted:

Ray

Ray I'm a prostitute

This comic made me really sad for some reason.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
not that hard to imagine

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ullerrm posted:

Saw an article about Guy Fieri's zero-star restaurant in Times Square closing, and immediately thought of Achewood

Apparently the restaurant was making sixteen million dollars a year. I don't know what's more surprising to me: the amount of money it made or that they would close it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

prefect posted:

Apparently the restaurant was making sixteen million dollars a year. I don't know what's more surprising to me: the amount of money it made or that they would close it.

Is that in profit after costs?

Also, as much as some people think it'd be cool to find out how far WWE Superstar Braun Strowman could toss Guy Fieri, football-style, a LOT of people love the guy and apparently he himself is genuinely a pretty good cook (although he doesn't actually cook for the place in question)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 8, 2018

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Theres a German word that means " You aren't wrong but are so obnoxious that I dont care"

Doesn't matter if he is good or not, he presents as a douche

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Theres a German word that means " You aren't wrong but are so obnoxious that I dont care"

Doesn't matter if he is good or not, he presents as a douche

Preachin' to the choir, just explaining his appeal is fairly far-ranging

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives will rarely steer you wrong to be honest, but jesus christ can I PLEASE just enjoy my Taco Bus without having to watch Budget Smash Mouth leer at me from up there on the wall

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

prefect posted:

That's revenue, not profit.

http://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/top-100-independents-2017/guys-american-kitchen-bar

His space had 6,000 sq ft at street level ($$$) and 10,000 sq ft below ground (much cheaper). Let's be super generous for the neighborhood and assume he was getting a massive sweetheart deal of $150/sqft/yr for the street level, half that for the below-grade. That means he's paying at least $1.7M/yr for rent on the space -- probably more than that.

If he's generating $17M in sales per year, that implies he's spending 10% (or more) of his revenue on rent. That's astronomically high by restaurant standards, where you're already spending up to 65% of your revenue on prime cost (labor/food).

Chances are good that he was breaking even, or doing a very modest profit. Most restaurateurs would be happy with modest profit, tbh; but, when you're a celebrity chef, a modest profit is probably in "cut ties and start looking for something more profitable to slap my brand on" territory.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Preachin' to the choir, just explaining his appeal is fairly far-ranging

It warms the cockles of my heart that Guy Fieri, the guy from Smash Mouth and Sammy Hagar wrote a cookbook together

https://news.avclub.com/smash-mouth-guy-fieri-and-sammy-hagar-team-up-for-awf-1798233513

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

All I know is the donkey bray-bray panel is among the most disgusting and repulsive things I have ever read. It haunts me

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MikeCrotch posted:

It warms the cockles of my heart that Guy Fieri, the guy from Smash Mouth and Sammy Hagar wrote a cookbook together

https://news.avclub.com/smash-mouth-guy-fieri-and-sammy-hagar-team-up-for-awf-1798233513

drat, I didn't know that Fieri was in Smash Mouth AND Sammy Hagar.
Learn something new every day

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that in profit after costs?

Also, as much as some people think it'd be cool to find out how far WWE Superstar Braun Strowman could toss Guy Fieri, football-style, a LOT of people love the guy and apparently he himself is genuinely a pretty good cook (although he doesn't actually cook for the place in question)

He cooked the eggs when Smashmouth ate the eggs.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

He cooked the eggs when Smashmouth ate the eggs.
More like when Smashmouth and a loving shark mascot clowned on DocEvil so hard, he ate like one bite then waddled his rear end out of there.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
He ate the eggs though.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2011/10/10/smash-mouth-singer-had-egg-on-his-face/

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

jesus gently caress

quote:

They are also planning a tour with other 1990s bands, such as Sugar Ray and Lit.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Seriously when men see your car-parking technique they go "I bet I have no chance with a bitch as nasty as that," but when you get out of the car the men go "huh I guess it was no bitch at all just a bitchy-bitch bitch man"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Ray permanently likes Tough Customer Ham Pockets

smr
Dec 18, 2002

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11152009

Man. I think that's the darkest Achewood. But the writing is so, so good in this one.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Chicken recipe tomorrow

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Been reading the Molly blogs and they’re great. It’s the first time she’s felt like a fully-realized character to me and it’s a shame we didn’t see more of that personality shine in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Simian_Prime posted:

Been reading the Molly blogs and they’re great. It’s the first time she’s felt like a fully-realized character to me and it’s a shame we didn’t see more of that personality shine in the comics.

The blog where she's alone on Christmas is one of the sweetest, most touching things to come out of Achewood :unsmith:

Edit: Found it