Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Licenses are restrictive, they set out what you cannot do. They set limits and boundaries. The word exclusive in the context of a license is excluding something and that something must be clearly defined.

Source - one year working with licensing for audio/music which isn't much but gives me a fair, basic understanding. I'm happy to be corrected but I'm just calling it as I see it, Star Citizen was to be a Cryengine exclusive title.

This is no different than when a sports celebrity has an exclusive contract with an apparel company. Can you imagine the shitshow if Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods who both have $100 Mil + endorsement contracts with Nike showed up on gameday wearing Reebok?

DapperDon fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Please be careful when posting jokes that could be misconstrued as telling someone to kill themselves. There's a fine line around here somewhere and I'd hate to accidentally step on it :ohdear:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Pgabz ain't the same since they hosed with his skull :(

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Do not drink bleach under any circumstances.

Feel free to quote the poo poo out of this.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DapperDon posted:

This is no different than when a sports celebrity has an exclusive contract with an apparel company. Can you imagine the shitshow if Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods who both have $100 Mil + endorsement contracts with Nike showed up on gameday wearing Reebok?

Yeah this whole thing sounded like a weird argument for Crytek to put forward in the first place, but if you frame it in the context of a console-exclusive game it actually holds a fair amount of water, comparatively.

When a game does a "console exclusive" launch that's been agreed on by the developer and console owner (as opposed to a "console exclusive because I'm a small developer and had to pick one platform and stick with it"), the benefit for the console is obviously "this game is on this console, buy the console" and the associated PR for it. The benefit for the developer, on the other hand, tends to be measured in benefits granted during the development process. For a console a lot of the time this means faster turnaround on support tickets/patch submissions, but (especially in the case of a launch-day release game on a new console) this can go as far as having people from Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony coming to your office in person to help streamline engine development on their hardware.

Comparing this to Crytek, I'd say "Crytek doing the kickstarter demo" would absolutely be at that same level of super-super-VIP support. It's easy to say "well why would anyone be so dumb as to commit contractually to one engine", but imagine you're doing your 3D pacman clone and Unity sent out a bunch of engineers to help develop it, and possibly even started backporting fixes into the mainline Unity engine to help your game out? It would be really, really dumb of Crytek to commit to that level of specialized support and not have something in the contract to require Star Citizen to keep using Cryengine and not jumping to something else randomly later on.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
This god drat bullshit response is doing nothing for my space court blue balls. gently caress all of it.

I've been doing some soul-searching these last 30 pages or so, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm rooting for CIG, and I hope this case gets dismissed.

We're already going to see loving Chris Roberts blubbering about how he wasted hundreds of hours engaged in this stupid lawsuit, hours he could have spent on THE GAME etc, so no 3.1 until 2019, sorry backers. Crytek's fault. Pledge more.

If they settle and are on the ropes cash-wise already and run out of juice it's going to be a wet fart, the dream dies, sorry backers. Crytek's fault.

A jury trial is just more of the same, likely even more frustration.

If I'm going to be blueballed like this it might as well be until 2022 when I get to see them admit that their lovely 300 million dollar 10 fps boring piece of unplayable poo poo is in fact the MVP and they are held accountable by the rabid loving cultists in their community. That is my ELE, not this nonsense

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The thing is they'll never be held accountable for anything because they already have multiple boogeymen to blame, and the faithful are too loving stupid to see past that.

Whenever the bubble bursts it won't be CIG or Chris' fault, it'll be goons/Derek/Crytek/refunders/whatever comes next or any combination of those that the backers turn their ire on.

The crobbler has already won.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

The thing is they'll never be held accountable for anything because they already have multiple boogeymen to blame, and the faithful are too loving stupid to see past that.

Whenever the bubble bursts it won't be CIG or Chris' fault, it'll be goons/Derek/Crytek/refunders/whatever comes next or any combination of those that the backers turn their ire on.

The crobbler has already won.

This is true, but a lawsuit sucking them dry will still make people wonder what could have been. I want them to know.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So we have one faction of goons who are true believers in the Failure of Star Citizen; they don't want this court case to meddle with something they've been waiting years for. And we have other goons who basically just like seeing CIG get hosed over, as long as it's their own fault. I love it.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Mangoose posted:

This god drat bullshit response is doing nothing for my space court blue balls. gently caress all of it.

Well tell me about blue balls. My dreams are filled about posts on the p6666, my nightmares are the "submit reply" button clicked just to display that the page doesn't exist. Go gently caress yourself.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Zzr posted:

Well tell me about blue balls. My dreams are filled about posts on the p6666, my nightmares are the "submit reply" button clicked just to display that the page doesn't exist. Go gently caress yourself.

This is the only true goal.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Martman posted:

So we have one faction of goons who are true believers in the Failure of Star Citizen; they don't want this court case to meddle with something they've been waiting years for. And we have other goons who basically just like seeing CIG get hosed over, as long as it's their own fault. I love it.

I have two expectations/requirements:

1. CIG being shut down as a result of internal or external events.
2. Ample supply of LOLs in the process.
Bonus points: Chris, Sandi, and Ortwin face personal repercussions through the fulfillment of #1.

The spergs can cling to whatever narrative they want. Screw them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Derek Smart.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

Derek Smart.

Harsh

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mangoose posted:

This is true, but a lawsuit sucking them dry will still make people wonder what could have been. I want them to know.

But they won't know, because they are too stupid.

Whatever shitshow they finally get will just be seen as the result of goons/Derek/Crytek/refunders/whatever comes next loving with the project, not as the result of Chris and co being completely incompetent and promising the impossible.

It literally doesn't matter if they close up shop tomorrow or if they finally poo poo out the MVP in 2022, all shortcomings between reality and dreams will be scapegoated away by the faithful.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
Thread is good!

Send help.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Skyrim's run in the AGDQ seems almost as broken as star citizen.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Abuminable posted:

I have two expectations/requirements:

1. CIG being shut down as a result of internal or external events.
2. Ample supply of LOLs in the process.
Bonus points: Chris, Sandi, and Ortwin face personal repercussions through the fulfillment of #1.

The spergs can cling to whatever narrative they want. Screw them.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

But they won't know, because they are too stupid.

Whatever shitshow they finally get will just be seen as the result of goons/Derek/Crytek/refunders/whatever comes next loving with the project, not as the result of Chris and co being completely incompetent and promising the impossible.

It literally doesn't matter if they close up shop tomorrow or if they finally poo poo out the MVP in 2022, all shortcomings between reality and dreams will be scapegoated away by the faithful.

But that's the cultists. I mean regular, uninvested people who are just following the project, and the gaming media. I want them to understand the enormity of this shitshow. The cultists are beyond help, they're just fun to laugh at.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Zzr posted:

Motherfucker, anything over 5999 pages requires 64 bit postitioning. We don't have the technology. You'd need some kind of forum visionary to save shitposting

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Martman posted:

That is kinda cool now that you put it into words. I'm a member of the first faction, but I won't shed tears if the E.L.E. of the second faction comes to pass. It would be like euthanasia at this point.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

iospace posted:

I'm quoting the poo poo out of this AND I HAVEN'T CALLED MY PARENTS :colbert:

I regret to inform you that you are in breach of the "Quoting and Miscellaneous Diatribes" section of this forums user agreement, subsection xviii-1A,
and you have six (6) calendar days to remedy this breach.
If you fail to follow these instructions, in the allotted time, then bad stuff will/may happen. So help me (insert your own deity).

For definitions of any terms used in this user agreement, please refer to the DICTIONARY, ADDENDUM 1B.

Thank you and come again.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
So how much backer money was dumped in to the retainer for these lawyers? I'm assuming that all the money was handed over upfront. Their client does have a long history of loving over parties they have contracts with. Kevin Costner, the contractor for the Santa Monica office, illfonic, Amd (the "Letter" guys), probably a dozen more.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Downer:
I've actually managed to do it, I was trapped INSIDE the planet, I flew threw the ground from underneath... which actually looked like the space above me... and now I'm IN the space above me with the ground that I've just flown through... directly BENEATH me. It's a wonderful world.

Oh I designed it like that

Yes, yes I know Chris you're a very clever man

I know yes, yes, I designed it like that it was deliberate yeah, me and Sandi sat down one night and um, I don't know if the pasties were OFF that we'd eaten but we started to see this VISION of being INSIDE the ground and ABOVE the sky simultaneously which meant that as you pass through the BOUNDARY between this world that we know which would be INSIDE of matter which would be inside the planet of YELLA, we pass out into the BLUESCAPE which is actually the SKYSCAPE which forms a DOME above it

And I don't know if you know this but if you pass through the ground going upwards from beneath, then you come out into the same area that we're now in originally which seemed to be the area that you were in, only inverted when you're on the other side

Wow, it's like an episode of STRANGER THINGS Chris, you're amazing

Yeah I know we're very inspired by that, very inspired by Stranger Things

Yes I can see that Chris, you're very inspired by stranger things

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

That is kinda cool now that you put it into words. I'm a member of the first faction, but I won't shed tears if the E.L.E. of the second faction comes to pass. It would be like euthanasia at this point.

Oh yeah? What sustains the thread? That's right. What would you do if you didn't have this?

Ask yourselves, all of you! What would you do? Go back to actually working more than 4 hours a day? gently caress that! This lawsuit needs to die before it can do any more damage!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mangoose posted:

Oh yeah? What sustains the thread? That's right. What would you do if you didn't have this?

Ask yourselves, all of you! What would you do? Go back to actually working more than 4 hours a day? gently caress that! This lawsuit needs to die before it can do any more damage!
Settle down, Beavis.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

CrazyTolradi posted:

Settle down, Beavis.

Are you threatening me?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7qhJ0Je-1E&t=330s

Downer:
Yes we like to think of it as going BENEATH, Sandi's shaved her head and is pretending to be psychic, I'm the fat kid from the arcade

Yeah sounds good Chris, sounds really good

Yeah we like ROLEPLAY

Now I wonder if I put myself down on this ice flow, is that going to help me to... if we can go back through. Maybe I've just landed in the water, maybe that's all it was, maybe... is this WATER on the moon? I don't know why when you log out in bed, I woke up in the cockpit flying along. I mean that's not something that you wanna do is it, nod off at the wheel of your HERALD on the M5 at night, but there's the shadow of a HERALD, now I'm assuming this is ice but it could be water, it seems to be moving.

Alright so basically what I've done is I've crashed into the water. I didn't even know there WAS water. Shall we see if we can do it again? What if I go down HERE... is that water moving? Or is that steam above it? Well we'll soon find out won't we.

Here we go... shifting over slightly... whoah, look at that... that is interesting. I've not been to this part of the world so I'm just gonna get out and have a little mooch about, just for the hell of it. Because I've passed beneath what I thought was above me. It turned out the thing that I was stood on was actually above my head

Which means... I'm a sort of... geographical contortionist

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
loving lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3AiyPuaIM

e: this is amazing

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Edit : wrong account. See next post.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Dusty Lens posted:

What if I call you an idiot a few times and then paste in some poo poo I googled.

Now just settle down there sunshine.

I've changed a lot of flat tyres in my life, which makes me quite capable of giving opinion on the correct composition of the modern pneumatic tyre's synthetic rubber, natural rubber, fabric and wire.
If you say something different to me, then you are an idiot.

Because that's how you stimulate a robust and intelligent discussion.
It's called 'firing a shot over their bow' and has been used in all the top debating schools since time immemorial.
Hence if you watch a good debating team, Number one on the opposing team will start off with,
"As a rebuttal to your points, I would like to say, 'your an idiot', thankyou."

Some people really don't understand 'debating development'

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Rugganovich posted:

Now just settle down there sunshine.

I've changed a lot of flat tyres in my life, which makes me quite capable of giving opinion on the correct composition of the modern pneumatic tyre's synthetic rubber, natural rubber, fabric and wire.
If you say something different to me, then you are an idiot.

Because that's how you stimulate a robust and intelligent discussion.
It's called 'firing a shot over their bow' and has been used in all the top debating schools since time immemorial.
Hence if you watch a good debating team, Number one on the opposing team will start off with,
"As a rebuttal to your points, I would like to say, 'your an idiot', thankyou."

Some people really don't understand 'debating development'

This guy gets it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I posts's sandwiched myself and I feel good.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

You thought you got me but not this time Ben, NOT THIS TIME.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Dusty Lens posted:

Do not drink bleach under any circumstances.

Feel free to quote the poo poo out of this.

Do not inject the bleach either. It is not de wey.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Mazz posted:

Hello I would like a time machine to whenever the actual court events happen because 100 pages of this IANAL conversation is going to kill me

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol someone ask him how many AAA games he's made.

#notaskybox

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

hot balls man no homo posted:

So how much backer money was dumped in to the retainer for these lawyers? I'm assuming that all the money was handed over upfront. Their client does have a long history of loving over parties they have contracts with. Kevin Costner, the contractor for the Santa Monica office, illfonic, Amd (the "Letter" guys), probably a dozen more.

Cought Cough MADCatZ Cough Cough...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Scruffpuff posted:

It would be a shame if Sandi got called to the stand and she was the one who had all the dirt on CIG, since her testimony would wind up getting cut.