Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

wolrah posted:

Imagine Tribes-style skiing in PUBG. So many ways to die from falling.

Please don't remind me of Tribes.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

The Mash posted:

What? No it's not. It's yellow/beige/sandcolored. You realize there's 2 right?

Whaaaa
I've only seen green ones in Miramar.
That makes it better, ty.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ever since the new patch, textures are never fully loaded when I drop into Miramar so loool when my squad does a hot drop and I have to run around for a minute or two to wait for it to load in, or levitate thru the buildings looting and run the risk of getting stuck in a wall/stairs when everything pops in.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

esperterra posted:

Ever since the new patch, textures are never fully loaded when I drop into Miramar so loool when my squad does a hot drop and I have to run around for a minute or two to wait for it to load in, or levitate thru the buildings looting and run the risk of getting stuck in a wall/stairs when everything pops in.

This was me before 1.0 fixed the issue :shrug:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Also ty everyone for pushing having this installed on an SSD, i reinstalled on my ssd and it's been much better.

Still haven't figured out why my shadowplay highlights won't record the sound i hear in my headset and only records my voice, but i can deal with that.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That's not half bad! Luck of the draw, I guess.
Worth going there if you don't mind a slow start.

I think the next map should be snowy Austrian alps, with old castles and monasteries, some lakes etc. Abandoned ski resort. Huts. Resort hotels.

Definitely a bit of a slow start, I agree. But with the new map, half the server dies immediately at pecado or hacienda and then there are 30 left when you leave the island.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

This was me before 1.0 fixed the issue :shrug:

I would get it every so often on 1.0, but now it's nearly every Miramar drop.

e: a lot of it is my old PSU + my HDD being slow as balls, but it's def gotten worse in the past week.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

esperterra posted:

I would get it every so often on 1.0, but now it's nearly every Miramar drop.

e: a lot of it is my old PSU + my HDD being slow as balls, but it's def gotten worse in the past week.

Yeah I had the same problem on Miramar when I had the test client installed on an HDD. Definitely worth buying an SSD, even a small one, if you can scrounge up the cash.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Also ty everyone for pushing having this installed on an SSD, i reinstalled on my ssd and it's been much better.

Still haven't figured out why my shadowplay highlights won't record the sound i hear in my headset and only records my voice, but i can deal with that.

Weird, I have the exact opposite problem.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

rarbatrol posted:

Weird, I have the exact opposite problem.

Yeah i read somewhere that turning it off and messing with the audio settings can fix it, but it hasn't fixed mine.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Not sure why but my game lags a lot more in firefights in FPP for some reason.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

patonthebach posted:

Not sure why but my game lags a lot more in firefights in FPP for some reason.

That’s because in FPP the game renders high poly bullets dependent on the ammo you use with shader effects.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

esperterra posted:

Works for me.

https://gfycat.com/PlainLeadingBlackrussianterrier

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Last night we ran into a bug where our names would show up as #unknown and our avatars would change hair, or in my case turn me into a big manly man. Happened in like three matches or so.

Was p fun tbh

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I just heard a streamer (small-time) tell his buddy something about total damage in a match when his buddy downed himself outside the blue.

Is this a thing? Like, if you get downed multiple times in a match does it decrease your total health or something? Or was he just berating him for messing up his stats for trackers?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Is this a thing? Like, if you get downed multiple times in a match does it decrease your total health or something? Or was he just berating him for messing up his stats for trackers?

The more times you get downed the quicker you die on subsequent downs.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Haha I've got the opposite problem now, it records everything but my voice even though the settings are all fine and haven't been changed for over a year

Nvidia please stop breaking your program occasionally

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Good soup! posted:

Haha I've got the opposite problem now, it records everything but my voice even though the settings are all fine and haven't been changed for over a year

Nvidia please stop breaking your program occasionally

It's probably not broken just configured wrong. In Shadowplay,go to Audio and at the bottom it says "Seperate tracks" or "Combine into single track."

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Cheating has gotten to the point where they don't even need line of sight. Just shoot at your head through walls.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Heartbreaker from last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7IkuCqg-s

It's been a while since I've won a round. I've got second and third quite a few times, but just haven't been able to close out the deal. In this one, I get the drop, I patiently line up the headshot, but then potato as I try to finish him off. The replay / death cam showed that he was down to about 10% health :(

This happened right after I gunned two people down in 50 / 50 fights a minute or two earlier, of course.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 8, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Trivia posted:

Cheating has gotten to the point where they don't even need line of sight. Just shoot at your head through walls.

It's actually been going on for a while, unless it was somehow stopped and then circumvented again. This clip is from 4+ months ago.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/173182927

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

This clip seems suspect to me dog, that guy had you dead to rights anyway due to cover but he peaks and then full auto fires at you from a good distance with a 4x and gets all headshots (based on your damage bar).

It's pretty hard to accurately spray someone at that range let alone while looking down a scope

edit: unless its lag that makes it look like he's shooting that fast, and then all the bullets connect at once

abigserve fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 8, 2018

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

abigserve posted:

This clip seems suspect to me dog, that guy had you dead to rights anyway due to cover but he peaks and then full auto fires at you from a good distance with a 4x and gets all headshots (based on your damage bar).

It's pretty hard to accurately spray someone at that range let alone while looking down a scope

edit: unless its lag that makes it look like he's shooting that fast, and then all the bullets connect at once

Here it is from his view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJoMMC_dmJQ

I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt because he didn't know where I was (and very obviously didn't see me climb over the wall despite being in his view). I watched one of his other gunfights from earlier in the match that didn't strike me as suspect.

I do agree that hitting that accurately, at that range, on full auto is certainly a bit suss, though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
That was probably just someone incorrectly using automatic fire and just getting lucky instead of missing all of their shots and dying.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i want them to add camera shake to red zones :twisted:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

il serpente cosmico posted:

Here it is from his view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJoMMC_dmJQ

I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt because he didn't know where I was (and very obviously didn't see me climb over the wall despite being in his view). I watched one of his other gunfights from earlier in the match that didn't strike me as suspect.

I do agree that hitting that accurately, at that range, on full auto is certainly a bit suss, though.

yeah you'd give that guy the benefit of the doubt for sure, it's just very odd because he's moving like a spud and he doesn't see you when you're in full view, which implies he sucks, but then when he does notice you he immediately lasers you down like shroud or something.

You see that a lot, I was playing with slim_mat last night (whoever that is in this thread yo those were some good games) and we had one case where these guys are running down the middle of a road in the middle of san martin (or el pozo, can't remember which one), just completely ignoring all the cover around them, then as soon as we peek they stop in place and blow us away instantly with headshots.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

It's such a waste that they didn't turn red zones into sandstorms on the desert map. Someone please take this game away from the current developers, they don't deserve it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Odobenidae posted:

It's such a waste that they didn't turn red zones into sandstorms on the desert map. Someone please take this game away from the current developers, they don't deserve it.

They also did literally nothing for Christmas. Bluehole is super lazy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

abigserve posted:

yeah you'd give that guy the benefit of the doubt for sure, it's just very odd because he's moving like a spud and he doesn't see you when you're in full view, which implies he sucks, but then when he does notice you he immediately lasers you down like shroud or something.

You see that a lot, I was playing with slim_mat last night (whoever that is in this thread yo those were some good games) and we had one case where these guys are running down the middle of a road in the middle of san martin (or el pozo, can't remember which one), just completely ignoring all the cover around them, then as soon as we peek they stop in place and blow us away instantly with headshots.

my last match i died to a guy with an ak getting a headshot on me. when i watched the replay the headshot was near the end of his spray when the horizontal recoil connected with my head lmao.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The more times you get downed the quicker you die on subsequent downs.
Aaaaaaah.
Makes sense, but i never noticed. Ty.

Rex-Goliath posted:

i want them to add camera shake to red zones :twisted:
Yes this. Please :allears:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Quick question ya'll, do the leaderboards still reset on a regular basis or was that just an early access thing?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Quick question ya'll, do the leaderboards still reset on a regular basis or was that just an early access thing?

I don't believe they've given specific details, but it sounds like they will still reset them periodically. They are referring to the latest reset as a new leader board "season," which implies we'll be seeing more resets in the future.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hellsau posted:

They also did literally nothing for Christmas. Bluehole is super lazy.
They released the game! Also Xbox EA (or whatever it's called there).

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
do redzones slow down in the final few circles? That should be changed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Doorknob Slobber posted:

do redzones slow down in the final few circles? That should be changed.

At a certain point the red zone and the playable area should just become one and the same.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

DrNutt posted:

At a certain point the red zone and the playable area should just become one and the same.

Getting stuck under the map would be a game winning strategy for sure.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there a post in this thread that gives a new player some pointers? OP is not helpful on that front.

I played 3 games and saw maybe a total of 3 people and died to shots fired from someone i couldnt see.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Laserface posted:

Is there a post in this thread that gives a new player some pointers? OP is not helpful on that front.

I played 3 games and saw maybe a total of 3 people and died to shots fired from someone i couldnt see.

Unfortunately, this game has somewhat of a steep learning curve. If you have a friend to play with, it isn't bad to start with duos with someone who's experienced who doesn't mind walking you through the basics.

If you play solo, you essentially have two options to start the round: you can drop in to a large city with a lot of loot, or you can find a smaller area that will have less loot but also fewer players. Since you can go 20 minutes in this game without seeing another player, it isn't a bad idea to drop into populated areas so you can get some combat experience as you're learning how to play. Learning how to shoot is key. If you die at the beginning of a match, you haven't invested much, so no big deal. Here is a loot map to give you an idea of where the best stuff generally is, which will also dictate where most of the players will be dropping: https://rankedboost.com/playerunknowns-battlegrounds/map-weapon-spawns-vehicle/

Also related to looting: killing a person and taking their stuff takes advantage of all the time they spent looting, as well as all the time anyone they have already killed and looted spent looting. This is why you tend to see aggressive players with all level 3 gear, a ton of health items, and fully kitted out guns at the end of rounds. As people kill and loot each other, they are going to take all the best poo poo, which then moves up the food chain.

When you're looting, you really want to find an assault rifle. It doesn't really matter which one (though you will likely develop a preference as you play more), but the ARs are the jack of all trades of this game. Ideally, you also really want to some sights for that AR. 4x scopes work wonders (you can also find 8x scopes, but they are mainly useful on sniper rifles). Shotguns destroy people at close range, so they are great for clearing buildings. SMGs have their use, but barring a couple situational advantages (full-auto, fully kitted out Vector is absolutely brutal at close range), ARs are going to do you better. Attachments make your guns better. If you find them, put them on. You will also always want to find a back-pack, armor, and helmet. The higher the level, the better.

Care packages have good gear, but they tend to be death traps. Consider your surroundings and be fast if you go for one. If you have good positioning, don't be afraid to camp it and get some kills at range when others go for it.

Don't bother aiming down sights when you are engaging people at close range. This will get you killed as the other player is able to react and spray much faster from the hip.

Likewise, when you aim down sights, make sure you hold shift before shooting. This will hold your breath and steady your aim for a few shots before you run out of stamina.

In terms of getting killed by people you can't see, this is largely due to poor situational awareness. While it's tempting to dash into the center of the circle as soon as it's revealed, this will open you up to 360 degrees worth of players waiting to kill you as you move through the safe zone. Consider moving with the circle, which will give you 180 degrees less to worry about (though always be on the lookout for late stragglers coming behind you, especially early on in the round when the circle damage isn't very high). There are also guides out there that will help you figure out where gunfire is coming from based on sound. I can usually tell where shots are coming from based on where the misses are hitting and where the sounds are coming from. You will also learn to scan near rocks and trees--the people shooting at you will likely be using cover of some sort. Another dead giveaway is the muzzle flash. Unless the other player has a flash-hider equipped, you'll be able to see the flash when they fire.

Learn to use terrain as cover. You can block off 180 degrees of potential threats simply by traveling near the side of a hill. Likewise, cars are helpful for travel because you're less of a sitting duck and you can move much more quickly (allowing you to wait out the circle a bit longer, if you want). The downside is that they attract a ton of attention, so be careful where you decide to stop.

A big newb habbit that's a no-no is proning out and thinking no one can see you, especially after you've already been shot. Remember, this isn't Metal Gear. These are real people that have already seen you and know where you are. As soon as you lie down, they are going to put a bullet in your dome. Going prone has it's uses (and can indeed be the difference between being safe behind cover and not), but your best bet when you're being shot at from an unknown place is to keep moving. Shooting moving targets from far away in this game is very hard. Bullets have velocity (nothing is hit-scan in this game) and drop, so you need to account for that while shooting people at range.

Related to going prone: you may think you're hiding in the grass, but grass is only rendered out to certain distances. Someone from a couple hundred meters away will just see a dude laying in an empty field, and they will kill you. Bushes are rendered indefinitely (?) far out, so becoming a bush wookie is much safer than a grass wookie.

First-aid kits and bandages only get you up to 75% health. You'll need a boost item (energy drink, pain killers, or the rare adrenaline shot) to heal you over time up to 100%. Boost items can also give you a temporary speed increase if your orange "boost bar" is high enough (this generally takes two boost items to get it high enough, or just one adrenaline shot). The rare Med-kit will also take you up to 100% health immediately.

If you get the drop on someone, you should consider the situation before you take the fight. If you aren't fairly certain you'll be able to kill them, you are probably better off not shooting. Likewise, if you are trying to outrun the zone and you'll need to run in the other person's direction, it's best not to get in a protracted fire fight if both if you have cover nearby. If someone is 100 meters out and all you have is an Uzi, it's best not to take pot shots because they will likely have something better, and they'll end your round. Oftentimes, it's best to wait for someone to stop moving so you can shoot them in the head. I once spotted a dude running outside, but I didn't have a great long-distance gun yet. I tailed him for a bit from about 50 yards out and eventually we came to some houses. I waited outside the group of three houses and kept an eye on him as he looted them for a few minutes. I hid behind a tree near a vehicle that spawned right by the houses because I expected that he'd want to use it. Sure enough, he went for it. All told, I tailed and waited for him for 5 minutes, and then head-shotted him as soon as he got in the driver's seat and stole all of his poo poo. Be patient when the situation calls for it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and consider only playing on first person servers. The consensus is that there aren't as many cheaters, and you don't run into as many house campers. First person is fun because they only way you can see people is if you get in their view, as well. It feels more fair.

EDIT 2: If you do want to be a wiener and camp a house, remember that doors will always be closed unless someone has opened them. If you set up shop in a house, keep all the doors in there shut so the person has reason to believe that no one has been there. You can also lay down a healing item (boost items or first-aid / med-kits are the best) and camp next to it. People will almost always go for the healing item, and then you can kill them. People generally believe that a house with healing items in it has not been looted, which is what makes this trap devious. People are loud as gently caress when they're in the same house with you (stomping and door opening within the same house are very loud), so you'll easily be able to tell when another player is with you, so long as they're moving.

On the flip-side, be very careful entering any houses as you approach mid-game and late-game. People love camping houses until the zone forces them to move, and finding one on the outskirts of a playzone is likely a death trap. If you decide to enter, check all the corners, and never stand in front of a door you've just opened.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 8, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Groovelord Neato posted:

my last match i died to a guy with an ak getting a headshot on me. when i watched the replay the headshot was near the end of his spray when the horizontal recoil connected with my head lmao.

no joke, this every headshot kill i get. i can't actually aim for heads or control bursts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Laserface posted:

The best advice is to just practice, if you're a new player you need to build up the map knowledge, situational awareness and gun handling skills to be really good.

There are some tips though that may not come through practice and are more "pubg is janky" related:
- Don't go prone unless you've got cover on all sides. It fucks your view but everyone can still see you super easily because grass doesn't render very far. It's trivial to hit a prone target and you get up very slowly.
- Don't use shotguns except in an emergency. Any other main weapon is better than a shotgun due to the way hit detection is calculated.
- Footsteps are very loud, but you can crouch walk (crouch and hold control) which makes you almost silent
- Cook grenades with "r" while holding them
- Armor matters way more than you think it does, the difference between a level 1 and a level 3 helmet is massive.