Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

lol this a ‘pro click’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

sponges posted:

lol this a ‘pro click’

The best part is he's wearing a porg shirt.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sponges posted:

lol this a ‘pro click’

I’m the bored young interns who want to die listening to these dweebs whine about Star Wars

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CountFosco posted:

*Choke* Excuse me? The livelihood of the Nemoidian people is at stake? They have an entire robot army on reserve that they apparently weren't planning to use that Sidious "made" them use. I conjecture that rich people would like having local food around, you conjecture that farming wouldn't exist because of NIMBY, I present to you the fact that locally-sourced food is a growing movement among the wealthy. This is not an existential threat to the Nemoidian people: if they don't like Naboo's new policies, there are a trillion other planets in the galaxy to trade with, performing a whole-planet blockade is dramatic overkill and while it may technically be "legal" it is most certainly unethical.

Instead of fighting themselves, they employ robot goons to do the work for them. This is cowardice. He's talking about the Federation in particular, we don't know what his opinion of your average Nemoidian on the street is. Heck, he probably has a Nemoidian friend back on Coruscant. Your reading of his terseness as a prelude to violence is clear eisegesis: you want him to be a thug, but the Nemoidians are the actual aggressors, and he merely responds to their attempt on his life. You're mistaking his laconic quality for being an authoritarian. The negotiations should be short because the Nemoidians haven't a legal leg to stand on.

That’s buying into the exact ‘anti-corporate-greed’ - but not anticapitalist - narrative that Palpatine wants you to buy into. Good capitalists vs. bad. The dark side has clouded your vision.

The T-Feds have an army because they were hoping on gaining legal ownership of the planet, amidst death threats from the Republic. The things they do are immoral, but nothing they do is illegal under Republic law. That’s the entire narrative. It’s how Palpatine wrests the chancellorship away from Valorum.

When an entire nation-planet is devoted to exporting food, then a substantial tariff hurts that nation economically. Amidala imposes the tariff, and then sends in the goons, without even speaking to the Nemoidians directly. She considers them beneath her.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Protectionism is usually a bad idea.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Well, so is mining your planet's core----but that sure as hell looks like what the Naboo did

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
So Amidala is a Trump like figure, and the Trade Federation is the WTO. Sheev is the Deep State.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Well, so is mining your planet's core----but that sure as hell looks like what the Naboo did

No your thinking of Kryptonians

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

when it runs out its gonna suck for the naboo people for sure. But they probably get filthy rich from doing it

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Wouldn't actually going through a planet's core be...really lethal even if it was hollow? Also they weren't literally swimming through the entire planet right? Boss Nass was using a figure of speech or something right?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s buying into the exact ‘anti-corporate-greed’ - but not anticapitalist - narrative that Palpatine wants you to buy into. Good capitalists vs. bad. The dark side has clouded your vision.

The T-Feds have an army because they were hoping on gaining legal ownership of the planet, amidst death threats from the Republic. The things they do are immoral, but nothing they do is illegal under Republic law. That’s the entire narrative. It’s how Palpatine wrests the chancellorship away from Valorum.

When an entire nation-planet is devoted to exporting food, then a substantial tariff hurts that nation economically. Amidala imposes the tariff, and then sends in the goons, without even speaking to the Nemoidians directly. She considers them beneath her.

If they were hoping on gaining legal ownership of the planet, then they wouldn't need an army because they could gain ownership legally rather than with the barrel of a gun. I have no illusions concerning the "saintliness" of Amidala and Naboo, there decision to impose a tariff on food coming in could very well have come from a position of avarice. However, she was not imposing that tariff on the Nemoidians through physical force. No one forced them to put up that blockade. The galaxy is not a closed economic system where there are only two planets. There are plenty of other planets that I am sure need food.

Besides, tariffs are traditionally imposed to stimulate home economic production or industry. If she's imposing a tariff on foodstuffs, that seems like a good indication that there is at least some homegrown ag industry. Heck, if you could capture one of those innercore water-monsters you could probably feed a city for a week.

Again, the presence of the army is the smoking gun here that you just can't talk away with sophistry. It reveals a clear and present danger.

Serf
May 5, 2011

porfiria posted:

Wouldn't actually going through a planet's core be...really lethal even if it was hollow? Also they weren't literally swimming through the entire planet right? Boss Nass was using a figure of speech or something right?

its a fantasy movie

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wild Horses posted:

when it runs out its gonna suck for the naboo people for sure. But they probably get filthy rich from doing it

Naboo-uru. I hope the refugees don’t try for refuge on Planet Australia.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
From Wookiepedia:

quote:

Naboo was a geologically unique world in the galaxy. A plasmic molten outer core surrounded an inner core, believed to be composed primarily of a nickel-iron alloy, with very small amounts of some other elements. These elements were abundant in other chemical compositions in the galaxy, but it was the unique properties of the plasma which interested astrophysicists, plasma that the two primary civilizations harnessed to supply clean and efficient energy highly valued throughout the galaxy.

Yeah, that giant fuckin' reactor literally built right under Padme's throne in Theed? That's pumping up energy right out of the planet core. The bubble-grenades and forcefields the Gungans use? Probably a more "holistic" way of harnessing the planet's power, right outa Avatar (not that the Gungans were necessarily "greener" than the Naboo, we don't know that, but they certainly had their own traditional ways of using the power). The Naboo are selling off discrete bubbles of this "clean" energy while also getting rich from the Space Lane they sit on---maybe they use the Trade Federation as intermediaries for their product, who knows. They can treat the entire surface of their planet as a big natural preserve for ranches, pleasure yachts, cute Tuscan villa neighborhoods, whatever, and buy their food and machine-parts or whatever from the Nemoidians at a favorable exchange rate. The Federation is making some money, but they're also getting screwed, and the humans are hella racist at them.

Anyway I stumbled upon this because I thought I remembered something about the humans of Naboo being colonizers from Alderaan suggesting the two cultures are linked but I guess not. They share a lot of key cultural values anyway, like handling money is ignoble and capes are fuckin' rad.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Capes ARE fuckin' rad ans I wish we lived in a society that valued capes and such.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Serf posted:

its a fantasy movie

I assume their ponda baba or whatever it's called submarine can have the pressure

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gonz posted:

Capes ARE fuckin' rad ans I wish we lived in a society that valued capes and such.

I would settle for half-capes, honestly.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CountFosco posted:

If they were hoping on gaining legal ownership of the planet, then they wouldn't need an army because they could gain ownership legally rather than with the barrel of a gun.

But once you have ownership an army is helpful for 1) actually enforcing the decision so the current residents aren't just like "nuh uh" and 2) holding and securing your new planet against any other invading armies (who might not be impressed with your piece of paper declaring legal ownership)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think the real question of Star Wars is does anyone aside from Padme and Han (+their partners) gently caress? Is Star Wars mostly neuters?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maz implies that she does

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bail Organa probably. And Kit Fisto :heysexy:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

business hammocks posted:

I think the real question of Star Wars is does anyone aside from Padme and Han (+their partners) gently caress? Is Star Wars mostly neuters?

The Death Star fucks

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kit Fisto, the fan of jizz wailers?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jabba has a son. So Jabba. Unless his species is asexual. Does that still count?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Hutts are biologically hermaphroditic and reproduce asexually IIRC, but adopt gender normative identities so there are "female" Hutt bosses in the expanded canon and also sometimes they can grow natty braid beards because sure why not. Jabba got off on making biped females dance for him and he was considered a bizarre pervert by his fellow Hutts. Why do I know this stuff :psyduck:

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

CountFosco posted:

*Choke* Excuse me? The livelihood of the Nemoidian people is at stake? They have an entire robot army on reserve that they apparently weren't planning to use that Sidious "made" them use. I conjecture that rich people would like having local food around, you conjecture that farming wouldn't exist because of NIMBY, I present to you the fact that locally-sourced food is a growing movement among the wealthy. This is not an existential threat to the Nemoidian people: if they don't like Naboo's new policies, there are a trillion other planets in the galaxy to trade with, performing a whole-planet blockade is dramatic overkill and while it may technically be "legal" it is most certainly unethical.

Instead of fighting themselves, they employ robot goons to do the work for them. This is cowardice. He's talking about the Federation in particular, we don't know what his opinion of your average Nemoidian on the street is. Heck, he probably has a Nemoidian friend back on Coruscant. Your reading of his terseness as a prelude to violence is clear eisegesis: you want him to be a thug, but the Nemoidians are the actual aggressors, and he merely responds to their attempt on his life. You're mistaking his laconic quality for being an authoritarian. The negotiations should be short because the Nemoidians haven't a legal leg to stand on.

Of all the oppositional readings in TPM, "Qui-Gon Jinn is a space racist" is by far the easiest to justify. That line about the Federation may be plausibly deniable on its own, but this is a guy who tells the next alien he meets after the Nemoidians that the ability to speak does not make him intelligent within the first minute of meeting him and reacts to just about every non-human he meets in the plot one of two ways: violence, or an attempt at mind-control when he does not immediately get his way. The one prominent exception is Yoda, who is a direct superior that he seems to have disobeyed with this whole orphan slave thing. It's an alien that wants revenge on Qui-Gon so badly he risks a 2-on-1 in the middle of a war to try for it. This antagonistic behavior is apparently so in-character and from Jedi like Qui-Gon that Watto isn't even that angry about the attempted mind-trick, merely bemused. One of the points of this reading is that Qui-Gon's racism is not only latent, but it is unexceptional and expected from a Republic Jedi. And we're not even getting into droids.

In comparison, he is congenial to Padme and instead of mind-tricking Shmi into letting him take her child away, actually explains the reasons and the stakes. If the reasons for this seem more to be that "humans Padme and Shmi are good guys and those aliens are the bad guys," well, yes. A human space racist's good guys would all be humans, and their bad guys would all be aliens or droids.

There is absolutely no reason to believe this man has Nemoidian friends, or any alien friends.

Crion fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 8, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Jar Jar nearly got him killed and he saved Jar Jars life soon after that

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

sponges posted:

Jar Jar nearly got him killed and he saved Jar Jars life soon after that

He needed Jar Jar for diplomatic plot reasons and when Jar Jar annoys him he neck pinches him unconscious. Also I said he was racist, not a completely unhinged sociopath who is willing to just let those around him directly die. There are a lot of kinds of racists in the world.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Qui-Gon treats Jar Jar the way Han treats C-3PO.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Crion posted:

He needed Jar Jar for diplomatic plot reasons and when Jar Jar annoys him he neck pinches him unconscious.

Jar Jar is annoying though. Wouldn’t you do the same to him?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Crion posted:

Of all the oppositional readings in TPM, "Qui-Gon Jinn is a space racist" is by far the easiest to justify. That line about the Federation may be plausibly deniable on its own, but this is a guy who tells the next alien he meets after the Nemoidians that the ability to speak does not make him intelligent within the first minute of meeting him and reacts to just about every non-human he meets in the plot one of two ways: violence, or an attempt at mind-control when he does not immediately get his way. The one prominent exception is Yoda, who is a direct superior that he seems to have disobeyed with this whole orphan slave thing. It's an alien that wants revenge on Qui-Gon so badly he risks a 2-on-1 in the middle of a war to try for it. This antagonistic behavior is apparently so in-character and from Jedi like Qui-Gon that Watto isn't even that angry about the attempted mind-trick, merely bemused. One of the points of this reading is that Qui-Gon's racism is not only latent, but it is unexceptional and expected from a Republic Jedi. And we're not even getting into droids.

In comparison, he is congenial to Padme and instead of mind-tricking Shmi into letting him take her child away, actually explains the reasons and the stakes. If the reasons for this seem more to be that "humans Padme and Shmi are good guys and those aliens are the bad guys," well, yes. A human space racist's good guys would all be humans, and their bad guys would all be aliens or droids.

There is absolutely no reason to believe this man has Nemoidian friends, or any alien friends.

I agree with you on QuiGon but at least as far as racism the Jedi Order seems extremely multi-ethnic and diverse, at least in its council leadership.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I agree with you on QuiGon but at least as far as racism the Jedi Order seems extremely multi-ethnic and diverse, at least in its council leadership.

I mean, we've got a lot of real-world examples where putting minorities at the top of an organization doesn't make the rank-and-file bad actors suddenly not hate minorities. Racism's a structural problem.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Crion posted:

He needed Jar Jar for diplomatic plot reasons and when Jar Jar annoys him he neck pinches him unconscious. Also I said he was racist, not a completely unhinged sociopath who is willing to just let those around him directly die. There are a lot of kinds of racists in the world.

Whoa does this really happen

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Whoa does this really happen

It's after he mind-tricks the Gungan dude in the beginning, during the weird boat-ride through the center of Naboo.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Crion posted:

It's after he mind-tricks the Gungan dude in the beginning, during the weird boat-ride through the center of Naboo.

he mind tricks him like three times.

qui gon is a good character. drat i want to re-watch that stuff its a classic

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't think any of this is bad. Qui-Gon Jinn is probably my favorite character in the prequels. He's just also arguably an authentic Light side villain.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

yeah im just elaborating my man

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Crion posted:

I mean, we've got a lot of real-world examples where putting minorities at the top of an organization doesn't make the rank-and-file bad actors suddenly not hate minorities. Racism's a structural problem.

In the Jedi order in particular it seems humans are the vast minority, except the younglings. Are there even any humans on the council aside from Mace?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Right but the Jedi explicitly position themselves as "apolitical" Watchers on the Walls of Freedom--and are all taken from their parent cultures when they're children to be raised in the Jedi religion. Aayla Secura is not from Ry'loth and has no meaningful ties to its culture, which according to wookiepedia is largely based around survival and appeasement (notice a pattern here with aliens that have learned to "play the game" like Twi'leks and Nemoidians?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I kind of forgot they're all brainwashed from infancy. They have almost nothing to do with their own culture