Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That's a handy table, and thanks for putting it together.

I hope you don't mind, but I made one small correction to make it work better in my local meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Definitive version sorted. Good effort team.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I give that version my blessing. Well done all.

Still WIP, still work to go. Need to finish up highlights, tidy up my layering in places because I keep painting while unwell and i'm an idort who gets mad painting models when it doesn't go right. Not confident on doin the glowy bits on the orb but Pz reckons it's better than just glazing the fooker. The white-grey bits are a bit brighter in person. Thoughts/Encouragement please.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Looks pretty sharp to my eye. You did a good job making a textured black with depth.

My personal inclination would be to put some white striping in there, like the ribbons along the side of the tabard, and maybe some pinstriping along the helmet. That said, I actively have to struggle not to pinstripe stuff that isn't my nomads, so I'm not a good or unbiased source here.

Maybe a lighter shade on the middle of the shoulder pads and belt thing for some contrast?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
It desperately needs an accent color, that black/grey shading is great but looks boring af, even if it's a deliberate decision.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
How impractical is the Guijia Lt profile for vanilla Yu Jing? It seems like it could be pretty fun, but seems extremely risky.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Pheasant with man traps bunkered in a corner, and pray for no AD and infiltrating TO?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Pierzak posted:

It desperately needs an accent color, that black/grey shading is great but looks boring af, even if it's a deliberate decision.

Yeah, sadly I agree. It does look fantastic, but a splash of colour on a bit of cloak or armour strip would lift it a bunch on a table.

Plus do the shiny bits in the ball, if you can paint like that it'll look fine!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cheers guys, was my one worry with this model is how monochrome it was going to come out. Most of my stuff has more orange and some blue but other than the Pneuball I'm not sure where to add it. Maybe an accented panel or something. Ill give it a think over!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Tournament tomorrow. 10 people, 3 rounds.

Round 1: Tic-Tac-Toe
Round 2: Power Pack
Round 3: Capture and protect

Looking at these for my lists:
List1
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 10 4
GŪIJIĂ Lieutenant MULTI HMG, Heavy Flamethrower / AP CCW. (3 | 88)
GŪIJIĂ PILOT Light Flamethrower / Pistol, Knife. ()
MECH-ENGINEER Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)
YÁOZĂO Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
CELESTIAL GUARD Hacker (Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 21)
SHINOBU Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Monofilament CCW. (0.5 | 47)
CELESTIAL GUARD (Kuang Shi Control Device) Combi Rifle + Light Smoke Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 13)
KUANG SHI Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 5)
PHEASANT IMPERIAL AGENT (Chain of Command, X Visor) Combi Rifle + E/Mitter, Stun Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 34)

GROUP 2 4
ZHANSHI Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 11)
HÙSÒNG Yaókòng HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 25)
CHAĪYÌ Yaókòng Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
Zhanshi YĪSHĒNG Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)

5.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

and

List 2

GROUP 1 10 4
YĀN HUǑ 2 Missile Launchers + TinBot C (Neurocinetics) / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 56)
SÙ-JIÀN Spitfire, Light Flamethrower, Panzerfaust / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (2 | 59)
KEISOTSU (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
CELESTIAL GUARD (Kuang Shi Control Device) Combi Rifle + Light Smoke Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 13)
HSIEN Lieutenant MULTI Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, AP CCW. (+1 | 57)

GROUP 2 3
TIGER SOLDIER Spitfire / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 32)

6.5 SWC | 298 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I'm not really very good at making Yu Jing lists yet, but these seem decent.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Can't remember if I posted this already, but I made a thing for my upcoming tournament/league (four round tournament with three weeks per round)

https://youtu.be/zhhdAnOMRos

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Khisanth Magus posted:

Tournament tomorrow. 10 people, 3 rounds.

Round 1: Tic-Tac-Toe
Round 2: Power Pack
Round 3: Capture and protect

Looking at these for my lists:
List1

GROUP 1 10 4
GŪIJIĂ Lieutenant MULTI HMG, Heavy Flamethrower / AP CCW. (3 | 88)
GŪIJIĂ PILOT Light Flamethrower / Pistol, Knife. ()
YÁOZĂO Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
SHINOBU Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Monofilament CCW. (0.5 | 47)
PHEASANT IMPERIAL AGENT (Chain of Command, X Visor) Combi Rifle + E/Mitter, Stun Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 34)

GROUP 2 4
ZHANSHI Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 11)
HÙSÒNG Yaókòng HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 25)
CHAĪYÌ Yaókòng Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)

5.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I'm not really very good at making Yu Jing lists yet, but these seem decent.

I've played against Guijia LT a few times and it's alright. One important thing to remember is that the engineer is almost useless to the Guijia - no rerolls is bad, bad, bad. I've found that it's better to invest the repair orders into better positioning of the TAG or FO support. A guilang FO will support a Guijia a million times harder than an engineer, just by virtue of being infiltrated in the right place/surprise shot FO/mines to keep warbands off the TAG.

It's a welcome change from the usual celestial guard face down on the floor in the corner.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Under 15 posted:

I've played against Guijia LT a few times and it's alright. One important thing to remember is that the engineer is almost useless to the Guijia - no rerolls is bad, bad, bad. I've found that it's better to invest the repair orders into better positioning of the TAG or FO support. A guilang FO will support a Guijia a million times harder than an engineer, just by virtue of being infiltrated in the right place/surprise shot FO/mines to keep warbands off the TAG.

It's a welcome change from the usual celestial guard face down on the floor in the corner.

I'd think that an engineer would still be a good idea in case someone decides to sticky bomb your giant mech. Or hack it.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'd think that an engineer would still be a good idea in case someone decides to sticky bomb your giant mech. Or hack it.

Yeah, watch out for glue is a concern, but it's only B1 and you have 11 orders...

I don't really consider hacking to be a counter for TAGs. Total control is scary, but that's pretty rare nowadays since AHDs are so expensive

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Glue is fantastic. Kiss adhl'd Tarik for me last night :3:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
You say that, until someone brings one along because it's their fav model, or regular hacking can make you IMM-1 and you're using orders to fix that instead. Some ITS missions sure do make TAG's a bit more exciting, though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
At this point I'm just pretty much tired of this game and kind of regret the money I spent recently in models. I haven't won a game of infinity in about 6 months, and frankly after today it has kind of stopped being fun. Went 0 win, 2 major losses(10-0 and 7-0), 1 draw(3-3). 2 of those games I completely stomped the enemy army but still couldn't manage to win. The 7-0 game I lost 3 models and my opponent had 3 alive and I still got a major losses. I just don't really have any desire to keep trying.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
If you're wiping out the enemy, which usually means you're getting pretty solid board control, are you not succeeding at the rolls to push the objective buttons?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Let's take the cluster gently caress if a third game. Forget what mission is called, basically capture the flag. Top of turn 1 my opponent, playing hassassins, through use of 2 smoke grenade wielding infiltrating units was able to grab my flag and flee back to his own side. My Guijia Lt proceeded to slowly work his way across the board, killing the entire opposing army on the way over, except the flag carrier which my onibiwan took out. He slowed down my advance by engaging my Guijia in cc(and crit his attack, doing damage 1), which took several orders turn 2 to remove. Top of turn 3 he has 3 models left with nothing stronger than a Rifle. But that works plenty when I manage to fail one armor check and he gets another crit, putting the tag into unconscious. I didn't have anyone but my tag who could have gotten to the opponents flag and safety grabbed it in one turn, so I spent half my orders getting my docs bot there for a desperate repair, which failed.

Both games 2 and 3 I would have won major victories if I had had a 4th turn, but I didn't and through RNG it always took me too long to clear out enemy defenses.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 7, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Do you always play with a Tag? In my experience they are pretty unforgiving and hard to use. They are great at dominating the opposition though.

Completely dominating your opposition but not having enough orders to get objectives sounds like the classic issue most people have with Tags.

edit: Once they get past the initial Tag hurdle of bad placement getting a third of their army killed for nothing.

edit 2: Have you looked into the odds for different f2f rolls? After running some numbers it turned out some results that I attributed to being screwed by RNG were actually pretty predictable. If you are nearly always feeling screwed by RNG it might be something else.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 7, 2018

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

KPC_Mammon posted:

Do you always play with a Tag? In my experience they are pretty unforgiving and hard to use. They are great at dominating the opposition though.

Completely dominating your opposition but not having enough orders to get objectives sounds like the classic issue most people have with Tags.

edit: Once they get past the initial Tag hurdle of bad placement getting a third of their army killed for nothing.

edit 2: Have you looked into the odds for different f2f rolls? After running some numbers it turned out some results that I attributed to being screwed by RNG were actually pretty predictable. If you are nearly always feeling screwed by RNG it might be something else.

Considering that what turned game 3 from a solid win to a total loss was 2 crits and a 3 on the single armor roll I had to make...I'd say that RNG had plenty to do with me losing.

I'm not sure how me relying on a TAG really hurt me that game. The only real problem with it that game was that I ended up having to spend 2 orders and command tokens on turn 2 to get the rear end in a top hat off the Guijia, which slowed me down because he was my main hard hitter. He moved faster than most other options, and hit harder and more reliably than pretty much anything in Yu Jing. It wasn't even a matter of me putting all my eggs in one basket, because by the time the TAG died there simply wasnt enough time to get another unit across the board.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Flipswitch posted:

Thoughts/Encouragement please.
Needs more color, for sure. IIRC, your CA stuff is yellow and kinda teal/blue, yeah? Maybe use those colors as accents, like so (pardon my MS Paint):

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

It wasn't even a matter of me putting all my eggs in one basket, because by the time the TAG died there simply wasnt enough time to get another unit across the board.

It sounds a little like you were? Ignoring the enemies crits, if you just had the one model in their zone and no one able to support it seems like you might have over-extended.

But I'm definitely not a super experienced player, or someone who's even run a TAG.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

Let's take the cluster gently caress if a third game. Forget what mission is called, basically capture the flag. Top of turn 1 my opponent, playing hassassins, through use of 2 smoke grenade wielding infiltrating units was able to grab my flag and flee back to his own side. My Guijia Lt proceeded to slowly work his way across the board, killing the entire opposing army on the way over, except the flag carrier which my onibiwan took out. He slowed down my advance by engaging my Guijia in cc(and crit his attack, doing damage 1), which took several orders turn 2 to remove. Top of turn 3 he has 3 models left with nothing stronger than a Rifle. But that works plenty when I manage to fail one armor check and he gets another crit, putting the tag into unconscious. I didn't have anyone but my tag who could have gotten to the opponents flag and safety grabbed it in one turn, so I spent half my orders getting my docs bot there for a desperate repair, which failed.

Both games 2 and 3 I would have won major victories if I had had a 4th turn, but I didn't and through RNG it always took me too long to clear out enemy defenses.

Where do your command tokens go? Are you doing co-ordinated orders, or shuffling groups, or what? Bringing your TR bro or that pheasant out could help a lot. If the pheasant hid all game, that may be the problem right there. He is an expensive boat anchor, especially if you invested in a TAG.

I am also interested in what you did with your Kuang Shi. Although it would have been insanely difficult to prevent that pair of fidays from alpha striking the beacon, it should have been easy for the Kuang shi to run them down afterward... there's so many of them, they're dogged, they explode, and they get free orders.

Someone like a guilang might have saved the game for you. Aside from glue, the engineer can't support the TAG all that much. It's worse than a medkit, IMO, def. more insidious - at least with a paramedic, you shoot your guy with the medkit, he dies, you move on. Here, you burned half a pool and failed a roll you had a 65% chance with. If your opponent only had three dudes left, a Guilang (or a ninja, or tiger soldier, whatever) probably could have snagged it.

Actually, now that I think about it, you didn't get your beacon back? If you killed all but three dudes and didn't get the beacon or kill the second bearer, I think you just need to focus on the objectives.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Under 15 posted:

Where do your command tokens go? Are you doing co-ordinated orders, or shuffling groups, or what? Bringing your TR bro or that pheasant out could help a lot. If the pheasant hid all game, that may be the problem right there. He is an expensive boat anchor, especially if you invested in a TAG.

I am also interested in what you did with your Kuang Shi. Although it would have been insanely difficult to prevent that pair of fidays from alpha striking the beacon, it should have been easy for the Kuang shi to run them down afterward... there's so many of them, they're dogged, they explode, and they get free orders.

Someone like a guilang might have saved the game for you. Aside from glue, the engineer can't support the TAG all that much. It's worse than a medkit, IMO, def. more insidious - at least with a paramedic, you shoot your guy with the medkit, he dies, you move on. Here, you burned half a pool and failed a roll you had a 65% chance with. If your opponent only had three dudes left, a Guilang (or a ninja, or tiger soldier, whatever) probably could have snagged it.

Actually, now that I think about it, you didn't get your beacon back? If you killed all but three dudes and didn't get the beacon or kill the second bearer, I think you just need to focus on the objectives.

Yeah, my bad, it is so easy grabbing my beacon back when pretty much his entire army except the infiltrators have LOF to where he stashed his fiday who took , totally should have just walked in there and took it!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Sounds like a break is a good plan. I tend to find people burn out on Infinity and go AWOL for 4-8 months every year or two.

They usually come back ;)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, it seems like it's still pretty raw in your memory. Give it a week or two of vacation, with the models away in the cupboard, any social media muted, ignore this thread, and so on. I'm sure most of the folks in this thread would be happy to offer you advice, should you decide you want it and feel like giving things another go.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So, is there any idea of when ITS season 10's gonna come out? I'm not in any rush, just looking at getting the book as it's so cheap.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Cassa posted:

So, is there any idea of when ITS season 10's gonna come out? I'm not in any rush, just looking at getting the book as it's so cheap.

Season 9 is only like a couple months old, so it'll be a while.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cassa posted:

Around September mate

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Pan-O side project, start!

I'm going for a super clean look to these, opposed to the grungier look I went with on my Haq, and unnatural look on CA. I also splurged on bases for a change, since I wanted a more temple-y / questing look to them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

should spend less on bases and more to coming to events in cardiff imo :colbert:

Looks great mate, where are the bases from?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

They're Micro Art Studio "Ancient". Trolltrader stocks them on eBay.

I'll hopefully have a chance this year to do trips out to tourneys, last year was bedlam with test events for the business that we won't be doing again.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Right on point as well, but our next event, the Firestorm Spring Skirmish (March 3rd, 24 player, 3 rounds) has just 10 places left!

https://www.firestormgames.co.uk/infinity-spring-skirmish-saturday-3rd-march

https://its.infinitythegame.com/event/0e7e4ge7-infinity-firestorm-spring-skirmish

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
gently caress me the Igao with spear mini is totally my jam. I have to have that model.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Rumored February releases:

Bit & Kiss
Garuda Tactbots (BS)
Irmandinhos (CR)
Knight Hospitallers Box
Kuang Shi Box

Probably repacks:
Al Hawwa Unit
Spektrs

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
As I have the start of an Imperial Service force lying in a box at the bottom of my hobby queue, I am really glad they’re re-doing Kuang Shi, as they are a core choice and were certainly looking weedy next to more recent offerings.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

The concern is that they're going to do something dumb with them like some bizzare reference or pistols and boarding shotguns when no uses anything but chain rifles.

Ideally there will be one in the process of exploding.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

One with a knife, one with pistol, one Shotgun and one chain rifle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

three chain rifles and a cloud of dirt and flesh

• Locked thread