Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Sent from my iPad posted:

I literally don't remember anything about that night

The only two things you need to know is that yes, it happened, and yes, it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I will say this, Sean Payton is ballsy in big games. It doesn't always pay off, but he will do some odd poo poo.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Silly Burrito posted:

I will say this, Sean Payton is ballsy in big games. It doesn't always pay off, but he will do some odd poo poo.

The balls he had to go for it on 4th down at midfield to try put the game away was amazing.

I hate his smug rear end, but I respect the hell out of him.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

ozymandius1024 posted:

The balls he had to go for it on 4th down at midfield to try put the game away was amazing.

I hate his smug rear end, but I respect the hell out of him.

Awfully respectable to try to lose the game like that, I agree

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009
Game from the Dome was great. I was preparing myself to walk back to the car with a stadium of really pissed off people after that 4th & 2 didn’t pan out. Good game panthers. Who dat!

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

Awfully respectable to try to lose the game like that, I agree

They get that first down, the game is unequivocally over.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

ozymandius1024 posted:

They get that first down, the game is unequivocally over.

Funchess makes the catch in his hands and it costs them the game, what's your point

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Real talk...replace Funchess with Benjamin...do they win that game? I realize the offense took off when ghey dealt Kelvin, but I feel like in a vacuum he makes those catches at the end.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

weird Asian candy posted:

Real talk...replace Funchess with Benjamin...do they win that game? I realize the offense took off when ghey dealt Kelvin, but I feel like in a vacuum he makes those catches at the end.

Tough to say. Cam had the tendency to really lock on to Kelvin when he was with the Panthers, and it was to Carolina's detriment more often than not.

Funchess being injured may have played into it a bit (like someone else said), but we'll never know.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

weird Asian candy posted:

I dunno, Benjamin didn't really sell me earlier today.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tatsuta Age posted:

Funchess makes the catch in his hands and it costs them the game, what's your point

How does punting the ball prevent that?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Are you asking how it's harder to move the ball 90 yards than 50 in 2 minutes?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Especially if it's a touchback.

That's what, a 5 yard difference?

More often than not, I think I'd trust a loving HoF QB and that offense to get those couple of yards.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Whatever I'm just annoyed how Carolina self destructed in those last 3 plays so badly. Gg saints see you in the NFCCG!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tatsuta Age posted:

Are you asking how it's harder to move the ball 90 yards than 50?

A punt doesn’t guarantee that field position. And a Hail Mary from the 30 ain’t much different than one from the 50.

You actually got it exactly wrong in your original comment, Payton was calling the plays to win, your suggestion is calling to not lose.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

ozymandius1024 posted:

Tough to say. Cam had the tendency to really lock on to Kelvin when he was with the Panthers, and it was to Carolina's detriment more often than not.

Funchess being injured may have played into it a bit (like someone else said), but we'll never know.

Yea his shoulder looked hosed. Like I am anxious to see what dude has been playing through cuz I feel like its gonna be one of those things that will require surgery.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

A punt doesn’t guarantee that field position. And a Hail Mary from the 30 ain’t much different than one from the 50.

You actually got it exactly wrong in your original comment, Payton was calling the plays to win, your suggestion is calling to not lose.

Always Go 4 It

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

Whatever I'm just annoyed how Carolina self destructed in those last 3 plays so badly. Gg saints see you in the NFCCG!

Oh so am I, but I'm just going to give Payton credit for something that I don't think many coaches would've done (even if it didn't work out that time)

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I feel like Brees gets those 2 yards 8 times out of 10. And I would trust the Saint's defense to stop a half-dead Cam Newton maybe 4-10 times.

I dunno, I was behind that decision by Payton.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Going for it was 100% the right call. You get two yards pack it up, game over. You dont get two yards, you hope you can stall them without their timeouts as seen in the game

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

This offseason will be rough.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

RumbleFish posted:

BURN IT DOWN

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I've been pissed at Payton for bad defenses and free agency blunders the past three years, but I've always backed him on his willingness to call bold plays.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

I liked Payton going for it, but wasting a timeout seems loving stupid. The Saints do the hard count + take the delay of game trick all the time. Why not actually snap it there and maybe take the Panthers by surprise? Instead after the TO it was obvious they were actually going.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

I've been pissed at Payton for bad defenses and free agency blunders the past three years, but I've always backed him on his willingness to call bold plays.

I look forward to more gutsy plays unless somebody pays him 100 million to coach the cowboys or something

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So happy to see the Panthers lose. Good job Saints.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

A.o.D. posted:

The night the Saints won the Super Bowl had the lowest crime rate basically ever.

The Louisiana bar started the day after the Super Bowl. I watched that Super Bowl sober from a hotel room in Kenner with study books on my knee.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ulmont posted:

The Louisiana bar started the day after the Super Bowl. I watched that Super Bowl sober from a hotel room in Kenner with study books on my knee.

That's the saddest loving thing I ever heard

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Hot-take, that wasn't an interception.

ulmont posted:

How did you cheat on the bar in Louisiana?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

ulmont posted:

hosed up that they didn't postpone it. Pretty sure SB wins count as National Holidays.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

Hot-take, that wasn't an interception.

How did you cheat on the bar in Louisiana?

Yo, the Louisiana bar exam is no joke. It's the hardest in the nation. For bullshit reasons, but still.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I'm turning 40 on Tuesday, and that was a pretty drat good birthday present. Better than 2012, at least.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

RumbleFish posted:

Offense: Probably lose Norwell. Maybe Ryan Kalil retires. No other notable losses.

Defense: At least a safety. Another DE depending on what Peppers does.

It's really not that bad.d

Biggest problem is in the booth.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

ulmont posted:

seriouspost the LA bar is really loving weird/different because of the French law thing, right?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

Yo, the Louisiana bar exam is no joke. It's the hardest in the nation. For bullshit reasons, but still.

Uh I thought DC was...

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Offense: Probably lose Norwell. Maybe Ryan Kalil retires. No other notable losses.

Defense: At least a safety. Another DE depending on what Peppers does.

It's really not that bad.d

Biggest problem is in the booth.

What would it take for Shula to get fired?

Can you imagine how much better this team would be if Chud came back?

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

FizFashizzle posted:

Uh I thought DC was...
You can waive into DC fairly easily, from what I understand. Virginia is the hardest bar in the mid-Atlantic region.

[edit] Decent, possibly-outdated explainer here.

Sent from my iPad fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 8, 2018

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ozymandius1024 posted:

What would it take for Shula to get fired?

Can you imagine how much better this team would be if Chud came back?

Shula getting fired requires Rivera getting fired. He was his promotion, and he will die with him.

I mean, I don't think Chud is the end all be all or whatever, but even if he was league average it'd be leagues above Shula.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Uh I thought DC was...

I don't know anything about the DC bar, but the LA bar has a 75% 1st time failure rate, and in order to practice law in the state you have to pass the bar, regardless of where else you may be licensed to practice law.

That's not to say that Louisiana law is inherently harder than in the rest of the US, just that the test itself is designed to produce failure.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

shame on you for not recognizing that quote.

• Locked thread