Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't they have a really easy digital color adjustment for things like that now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Don't they have a really easy digital color adjustment for things like that now?

frankly I wouldn't have a clue. :shrug:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I hate Uwe Boll for how arrogant and lovely he is as a human, but I admire the fucker for making two films at the same time with the same cast and just switching out the main character for each.
I watched Bloodrayne 3 and Blubberella back to back and man, it’s just an odd experience. I def recommend it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He was taking advantage of a favorable German tax law that let him keep making those movies. Eventually the loophole was closed. Now he can’t get funded.

Uwe Boll now runs an apparently very good restaurant in Vancouver:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/03/game-over-uwe-boll-worst-director

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Sir Kodiak posted:

What's their problem with Michael Shannon?

Michael loving Shannon posted:

"There's a lot of old people who need to realize they've had a nice life, and it's time for them to move on because they're the ones who go out and vote for these assholes. If you look at the young people, between 18 and 25, if it was up to them, Hillary [Clinton] would have been president. No offense to the seniors out there. My mom's a senior citizen. But if you're voting for Trump, it's time for the urn."[37][38]

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think the random white prince is a villain vying for Jasmine's hand as an imperialist play

It's the medieval era, the Arabs are the imperialists.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean, the Crusader States were kind of a dick move; maybe not quite imperial.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

holy gently caress that's savage :shittypop:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chairman Capone posted:

Uwe Boll now runs an apparently very good restaurant in Vancouver:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/03/game-over-uwe-boll-worst-director

Between and his laying out Lowtax/causing a meltdown he's basically redeemed.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

There are ways to digitally darken people but I don't know if it is cheaper just to use makeup now or edit stuff later and risk it looking bad. We need more information but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Godzilla the Anime will be on NetFlix January 17th. I haven't watched anime since Akira was released, but have now watched a few episodes of Samurai Pizza Cats to prepare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-3do2pM4pM

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Byzantine posted:

It's the medieval era, the Arabs are the imperialists.

Uhhhh, I may not have watched Disney cartoons since the 90s but the Aladdin series had a crossover episode with Hercules so it's clearly set during the Greek Dark Age.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Actually there's a theory that (Disney's) Aladdin takes place thousands of years into a post apocalyptic future.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

holy gently caress that's savage :shittypop:

Yeah, it was a little more than "Trump voters are bad people", which I respect him for.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

muscles like this! posted:

Actually there's a theory that (Disney's) Aladdin takes place thousands of years into a post apocalyptic future.

Is it based on anything more than "the genie references pop culture"?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is it based on anything more than "the genie references pop culture"?

BuzzFeed but it's that and nerds over thinking things.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mathewjedeikin/theres-a-crazy-theory-that-aladdin-took-place-in-a-post-apoc?utm_term=.gwM44MLM05#.mo611GxGjQ

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Genie is obviously from another dimension and doesn't percieve time the way we do. He simply watches the events of human history from outside time. Just because he's bound to the lamp doesn't mean much in that respect.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Or the genie was the inspiration for all that pop culture, a blue glowy Merlin figure acting as a muse for millennia

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Genie is a semi-divine being. He probably experiences time like Dr.Manhattan. There is no begininning or end just the vast ocean of time.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Genie is obviously from another dimension and doesn't percieve time the way we do. He simply watches the events of human history from outside time. Just because he's bound to the lamp doesn't mean much in that respect.

Nah dude they got that angle covered.

quote:

You might be thinking, well, the Genie is omnipotent. He can see the future and uses magic to create futuristic items. However, events in the film contradict this explanation.

The Genie had no idea Aladdin didn't intend to free him, and didn't know Aladdin was going to trick him out of a free wish by suggesting Genie couldn't get them out of the Cave of Wonders.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

porfiria posted:

Dr. Manhattan acted surprised to learn that Silk Spectre was cheating with Niteowl, despite him telling her that minutes earlier. Just because he can see time, he’s trapped in the flow of it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Nerd theories are just fan fiction written by people who think writing fan fiction is girly

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

muscles like this! posted:

The Cave of Wonders isn't sand.

Nanomachines.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Cave of Wonders isn't sand.

Nanomachines.

Hannu Rajaniemi really needs to write more books.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
One of the most important things I learned back in school was "there is such a thing as over analyzing literature."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If we could get Michael Shannon to deliver this personally to every senior trump voter (and unhealthy ones over 40) we could save a huuuuge amount on social security

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently the discs he sells through his site are literally DVD-Rs that he burns himself, labels with sharpie, and sticks in jewel cases for $24.99.

To be honest, that's the only way I'd want to own a Neil Breen film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

Well, no, I wasn't thinking the genie was omnipotent. I know he isn't because he is bound in servitude to a lamp, the movie tells you this. Nerds are so dumb!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fan theories are the worst. They're like film analysis but for people who dislike and disregard subtext. Or are incapable of reading it.

That being said, if we take the DTV sequels and TV show as canon, then while the Genie may not be able to see the future, he can travel there. So the logical assumption is that he just went to the 20th century at some point and absorbed some of the pop culture, then went back to his own time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One of the DTV sequels had Robin Williams, it don't get more canon than that

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Wishmaster straightens all this stuff out, it's the true life genie story. So always default to Wishmaster for genie canon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What about Wish Kid, thethe Macaulay Culkin animated series

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

Fan theories are the worst. They're like film analysis but for people who dislike and disregard subtext. Or are incapable of reading it.

That being said, if we take the DTV sequels and TV show as canon, then while the Genie may not be able to see the future, he can travel there. So the logical assumption is that he just went to the 20th century at some point and absorbed some of the pop culture, then went back to his own time.

You know, if I was in charge of a movie that got a sequel, I'd totally just steal the best fan theory and build on it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

the best fan theory

No such thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

No such thing.

How about, "the most coherent?"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Holdover from 2017: The Last Jedi is expected to do badly in China (where Star Wars has never been the world-conquering franchise it is everywhere else), which combined with its slowdown in North America may yet vindicate my expectation that it won't be the number one movie for 2017.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The number one movie domestically; it's still only number three worldwide.

It almost caught up over the weekend, it'll be #2 in a day or two (or even in an hour or two if they haven't fully updated the worldwide box office for the weekend) and it'll be #1 by the end of the week.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Biggest movie in terms of money made this year... I'm going to go out on a limb and say Avengers 3.

Don't really see Jurassic Park or (lol) Solo doing it. I reckon Black Panther will do better than both of those movies.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

Biggest movie in terms of money made this year... I'm going to go out on a limb and say Avengers 3.

Don't really see Jurassic Park or (lol) Solo doing it. I reckon Black Panther will do better than both of those movies.

I am excited that you have weighed in with a guess, and breathlessly await your continued, smugly satisfied tracking of money pouring into different partitions of mega-corporation coffers

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ALFbrot posted:

I am excited that you have weighed in with a guess, and breathlessly await your continued, smugly satisfied tracking of money pouring into different partitions of mega-corporation coffers

I'll try not to disappoint.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Seeing as Captain America: Civil War beat Rogue One in 2016 it's a pretty safe bet that Avengers: Infinity War will beat Solo.

But Jurassic World beat all the MCU films including Avengers so we'll have to see how Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom goes.

Edit: dang, Solo is being released 3 weeks after Avengers 3 and one week before Deadpool 2 (and a month before Jurassic World 2). That's a whole bunch of big budget effects-laden action/adventure romps about quippy anti-heroes-with-a-heart-of-gold and so far the only thing that distinguishes Solo from the pack is that it had a whole bunch of lovely behind the scenes dramas which forced them to reshoot half of it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Solo has one thing going for it the others don't. It's got Clint Howard in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't think a Marvel flagship movie going up against a Star Wars "story" is much of a contest. Especially when the latter is probably going to be a mess to some degree or another.