Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

Just rip that hand off and give him a Chainsword- the hands from the normal marine kits don't look bad so there's plenty of options. After the codex dropped I swapped out an arm on my lovingly converted captain so he could have a thunderhammer

If I did that I would probably magnetize them so I could play around with other Chapters. I really like the DA ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is it sad that I refuse to use BA since I already have one Intercessor Sergeant with a power sword?
No because power sword sergeants are infinitely cooler. :colbert:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ropes4u posted:

Nice paint job on that man. Do you have your Primaris list finalized?

Nope, not even close.

I have two DI starters and the anniversary captain and that's it so far.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Been watching some reviews of the demon codex and I'm sad Slaanesh hadn't received any new models, or even any name changes. Still holding out hope for my sparklebois to get a codex, but I know in my heart they won't.

May just finish painting up what I've got and move on to something that gets a bit more love from GW. Love the EC lore, love slaanesh, but I've got zero incentive to play them outside of narrative games. They did get some pretty crazy poo poo in the daemons codex, (shutting down an enemy character completely, advance and charge aura) but I wanna get hype about fighting rather than worry about getting ranged off the table turn one. Also gently caress summoning.

If custodes turns out to be a small elite army like grey knights, I might go that route, or maybe a space marine chapter that will get a codex. I dunno, just kinda bummed I don't have any fun new models or rules to look forward to.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Been watching some reviews of the demon codex and I'm sad Slaanesh hadn't received any new models, or even any name changes. Still holding out hope for my sparklebois to get a codex, but I know in my heart they won't.

They've been doing a pretty consistent job turning out new stuff for Khorne, Tzeentch, and Nurgle so far, to the point where it hasn't felt like there's been a huge gap between any of them. If we don't get Slaanesh rumblings by year's end, then I'd start to worry.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What kills me most is that, there are a couple double page spreads, showcasing all the plastic greater daemons and their cronies but Slaanesh is no where to be seen. Not even a lesser daemon :(

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I put together the Keep Painting thread. Please post there so it's not a lonely live journal.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

They've been doing a pretty consistent job turning out new stuff for Khorne, Tzeentch, and Nurgle so far, to the point where it hasn't felt like there's been a huge gap between any of them. If we don't get Slaanesh rumblings by year's end, then I'd start to worry.

When I came into the game it looked like Nurgle was the Ultramarines of Chaos stuff. It looks like I might be biased and it was just that Death Guard had recently been released so they were the hot Chaos faction?

My friends want to play AoS, but I'm loathe to get into another miniatures game after dipping into 40k. I do want to paint some Tzeentch stuff though. Most of the models are compatible back and forth between games if I do decide to go that route, right?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I am a creature of impulse.

Bought a snap-fit Redemptor Dread tonight. If it comes out okay, I may buy another so I can field Bjorn the Fell-handed with two of them and an Iron Priest as his posse as a detatchment.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

LifeLynx posted:

When I came into the game it looked like Nurgle was the Ultramarines of Chaos stuff. It looks like I might be biased and it was just that Death Guard had recently been released so they were the hot Chaos faction?

My friends want to play AoS, but I'm loathe to get into another miniatures game after dipping into 40k. I do want to paint some Tzeentch stuff though. Most of the models are compatible back and forth between games if I do decide to go that route, right?

Correct on both counts--all the daemon stuff for Tzeentch is transferable, but not the Thousand Sons or Magnus.

A bunch of new Khorne stuff came out back in late 2015 around the time that WHFB was doing End times/Age of Sigmar released, including the new bloodthirster and skarbrand. Then in late 2016/early 2017 we got all the new Tzeentch stuff, including Tzaangors, Magnus, and the new Lord of Change, and then we got Death Guard/Mortarion after 8th edition released at midyear/August, and now we're getting new Nurgle daemon stuff for 40k/AoS. They haven't released Slaanesh stuff in part because they were covering the other three. I'll be very surprised if we don't see a new Keeper of Secrets to round out the cycle in the next 12-18 months.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

the new Lord of Change

This is my vote for best model in Warhammer by the way. It's hard to pick between it and Kairos Fateweaver, but maybe I don't have to because they're the same kit.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The main difference is that the Thousand Sons and Khorne Demonkin stuff was mostly a few models. If you check the Thousand Sons page on the website, you get Magnus, Ahriman, Psykers, Terminators, and standard Rubrics. I don't even think Demonkin have a page. Meanwhile, Death Guard got two types of Terminators, several special characters, three unique vehicles, two basic troop types, and are now getting more love with the first new Chaos Demon release coming up. It's easy to think Nurgle is being overpushed when he's getting the most comprehensive look-over, but I just honestly hope that's GW's new standard for independently acting factions.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm preparing for a big rear end Apoc game in April, and doing the sums on a Marauder Destroyer which I've been meaning to buy for years, pretty good I thought. But why can it only take 8 Hellstrike Missiles? That's odd, a game can only go for-

-oh.

It fires 8 Hellstrike missiles every turn :stare:

:getin:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

I am a creature of impulse.

Bought a snap-fit Redemptor Dread tonight. If it comes out okay, I may buy another so I can field Bjorn the Fell-handed with two of them and an Iron Priest as his posse as a detatchment.

I debated getting one but it's hard for me to justify the loadout versus just getting the fully posable one.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, same issue. That and it doesn't have the Soundwave style rocket pod.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Bee posted:

The main difference is that the Thousand Sons and Khorne Demonkin stuff was mostly a few models. If you check the Thousand Sons page on the website, you get Magnus, Ahriman, Psykers, Terminators, and standard Rubrics. I don't even think Demonkin have a page. Meanwhile, Death Guard got two types of Terminators, several special characters, three unique vehicles, two basic troop types, and are now getting more love with the first new Chaos Demon release coming up. It's easy to think Nurgle is being overpushed when he's getting the most comprehensive look-over, but I just honestly hope that's GW's new standard for independently acting factions.

I think the disparity is more of an issue with how their game plan for covering the gods and 40k changed over the course of the process. When Khorne got his stuff they wanted to do a Daemonkin book for every god, but seemed to be surprised when people basically told them "we want traitor legions" in response to the book, so they switched gears to Traitor Legions instead of Daemonkin by the time the got to Thousand Sons but they themselves came during the twilight months of 7th, a near universally hated edition and their update came in a Warzone Supplement rather than a full Codex release since they weren't releasing anymore codexes for 7th. Nurgle on the other managed to line up perfectly with the launch of a new edition of the game up to and including being in the starter box (much like what happened with Khorne and AoS).

If you look over the god-specific releases in AoS where there wasn't such tumultuous changes happening surrounding their release you can see that they're mostly equal. The only one that might have received more love is Khorne simply because (much like Nurgle in 40k) he is the starter box faction.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 8, 2018

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

LifeLynx posted:

Tzeentch Daemons can be used in both so theres that. Tzaangors are also cross compatible. The 40k tzaangors kit is just the AoS kit with an extra sprue for bolters so if you use the melee kit you can use it in both (i equip my tzaangors how i do in AoS and tell people theyre all tzaangor blades, no one complains).

The codex is going to support some age of sigmar models in 40k as well like the other tzaangor (enlightened and sorcerers).

I also use kairic cultists as cultists in 40k but thats just aesthetic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I debated getting one but it's hard for me to justify the loadout versus just getting the fully posable one.

Asscan, fist, heavy flamer, and fragstorms is a decent load out for about a 40% price discount. This guy was $40 before the 15% my flgs knocks off as thanks for not just ordering it online.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

AnEdgelord posted:

I think the disparity is more of an issue with how their game plan for covering the gods and 40k changed over the course of the process. When Khorne got his stuff they wanted to do a Daemonkin book for every god, but seemed to be surprised when people basically told them "we want traitor legions" in response to the book, so they switched gears to Traitor Legions instead of Daemonkin by the time the got to Thousand Sons but they themselves came during the twilight months of 7th, a near universally hated edition and their update came in a Warzone Supplement rather than a full Codex release since they weren't releasing anymore codexes for 7th. Nurgle on the other managed to line up perfectly with the launch of a new edition of the game up to and including being in the starter box (much like what happened with Khorne and AoS).

If you look over the god-specific releases in AoS where there wasn't such tumultuous changes happening surrounding their release you can see that they're mostly equal. The only one that might have received more love is Khorne simply because (much like Nurgle in 40k) he is the starter box faction.

This is a good and insightful post. I’d like to add that the Khorne Daemonkin book was a very good book and the blood tithe table was good fun. It still suffered from being a close combat army in 7th, and issues around getting enough anti-tank in the list, but it did have some clever ideas.

You can sort of do Daemonkin style builds this edition, especially when the new Daemons dex drops, but it’ll mostly be about buffing your Warp Talons, Obliterators and Possessed - your regular dudes won’t get much benefit from Daemon spells and unless the Khorne dudes have AoE buffs, without Psyker spells your Khorne stuff is poo poo out of luck. Additionally, at the end of the day it’s mostly +1 to this or that.

I’m waiting for the Codex before passing full judgment, but I think a lot of flavour has been lost in terms of special rules in the transition to 7th. If you look at AoS with the Disciples of Tzeentch Destiny Dice and other unit interplay, or the circle of decay in Maggotkin, or Blades of Khorne with blood tithe, I find them more interesting. Hopefully Thousand Sons will get some flavourful stuff, not just “+1 to save if you’re close to X”

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Did anyone else make an order to The War Store right before Christmas that hasn't gotten a shipment notification yet?

yes I know the answer to this question is to call them and ask

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Getting the Inceptors out of the box yesterday, one's stem had broken. Just gone to repair it and a second dude has the same problem. This was in no way predictable, huh GW?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Getting the Inceptors out of the box yesterday, one's stem had broken. Just gone to repair it and a second dude has the same problem. This was in no way predictable, huh GW?

Mine have survived so far but when i finish building the plasma ones the plan is very much to have them skidding to a stop on the ground.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

Mine have survived so far but when i finish building the plasma ones the plan is very much to have them skidding to a stop on the ground.

My storage didn't help (I have too many toys in too few cases) so hopefully I can baby these ones a bit now that I've bought another case and can spread things out a bit more.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a thread recommended bits shop for UK/Eire?

I've looked at a few of them online and the websites are super dodge. I'm pretty sure one company is running a few of them judging by the stock being the same across different websites. It feels like buying items for diablo 2.

I'm buying some second hand tyranid warriors and need to buy some boneswords/deathspitters because judging from the pictures it looks like the guy that owned them put katanas on them.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

GW have just put out their events calendar for 2018. There's no final listed for the UK Grand Tournament (we've had heats 1 and 2, I'm going to 3 in February) but there is a very conspicuous TBA on the weekend of 19th/20th May.

Which is the same date as London GT.

fuuuuuuu

e: inb4 someone says "you're not getting top 40 anyway so why worry"

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

I've looked at a few of them online and the websites are super dodge. I'm pretty sure one company is running a few of them judging by the stock being the same across different websites. It feels like buying items for diablo 2.

I'm buying some second hand tyranid warriors and need to buy some boneswords/deathspitters because judging from the pictures it looks like the guy that owned them put katanas on them.

I use Let the Dice Decide and Bitzbox a lot.

e: and eBay a lot when they don’t have what I need.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 8, 2018

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Entropy238 posted:

I'm in exactly the same boat - been looking for certain Tyranid bits including boneswords for a while with no success. When they do appear on ebay they're either obscenely expensive or packed with lots of other stuff I don't need.

If anyone has a source for Tyranid bits in the UK I'd love to know about it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Entropy238 posted:

My go to place lately has been https://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/, but expect seeing sold out on a lot of stuff even if they're good a restocking a lot of stuff weekly.
Otherwise http://www.bitzarium.com/ is pretty decent as well, even if they're french and not UK.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks - I’ll check those out.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Star Man posted:

Did anyone else make an order to The War Store right before Christmas that hasn't gotten a shipment notification yet?

yes I know the answer to this question is to call them and ask

Yes. Mine was made on the 22nd and hasn't arrived yet. I was going to call today, but it's probably just a volume of orders thing.

Edit: Called and it was just one of the kits on the order that they didn't have in stock which was holding it up. Say they should be shipping today or tomorrow.

Mef989 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 8, 2018

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm guessing between high sales volume, folks taking time off for Christmas, and the weather in the Northeast, the Warstore has taken a bit to get stuff out. I ordered some stuff on eBay before the new year and it's not here yet. I'd give em a ring anyway.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Had a spare ancient body left over from making the chaplain and I never liked the bolter Lt in dark imperium with his dumb jarhead so I made this fella.

Though now its blown up like this im seeing a bunch of highlights i need to tidy.

This and the anniversary sergeant are the only time I've used a coloured spray and I wasn't too happy with the results, anything I can do about the paint around the rim getting worn down?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Touch it up wit h black, then gloss varnish (under the rim as well), then matte. Once it's free of the paint handle it should last okay, and if you notice glossiness starting to appear down the road you can re-apply the matte.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Isn't it the buttplug that's rubbing it off? Too much friction probably.
Once you just handle it with your fingers you should be fine.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

HardCoil posted:

Isn't it the buttplug that's rubbing it off? Too much friction probably.
Once you just handle it with your fingers you should be fine.

Nah that happened before I plugged it in.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

HardCoil posted:

Isn't it the buttplug that's rubbing it off?

SRM do the needful

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Just for the sake of clarity, it isn't happening strictly because you used the colour spray You get the same thing with proper white spray undercoats as well. There's a lack of 'tooth' to the finish, sufficient coats of pain/varnish should overcome it comfortably by the time the model is completed.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Photos from the Apoc game I played in yesterday:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tjkopena/sets/72157689153411372
(I'm the guy in the grey hoodie)

The Armagedon 59th performed very well, taking out the 6000 or so points of enemy guard and Tau that opposed me. Seeing as how I only had 4000 pts, I'd say that's pretty good!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Sex Cannon posted:

The Armagedon 59th performed very well, taking out the 6000 or so points of enemy guard and Tau that opposed me. Seeing as how I only had 4000 pts, I'd say that's pretty good!

Looks awesome. Also holy poo poo that guy with 5 Knights and a Warhound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Sex Cannon posted:

I'm loving that infested(?) knight.