Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Thoatse posted:

The same reason someone thought this was a good idea

:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

I love poo poo like this...cuz the color of the hair was the issue...not that it's there in the first place.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Goobs posted:

I love poo poo like this...cuz the color of the hair was the issue...not that it's there in the first place.

Oh, you poor, pure, innocent soul.

(It bleaches skin, not hair.)

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Goobs posted:

Hahahaha, how sheltered are you?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

I keep seeing this coming up and I don't see what the issue or confusion is. "to exclusively embed CryEngine in the Game" means to embed it exclusively, at the exclusion of any other engine. That's a restriction of the license.

It is explicitly stated right there what the exclusivity is referring to, it is referring to CryEngine, "exclusively embed Cryengine".

Lots of people going round and around in circles on this, it's really simple and I don't agree that it's poorly written either. "exclusively embed Cryengine" means to exclude any other engine, "in the game" refers to the game which is defined, CryEngine is already defined, everything is there as clear as day and I don't know where all the confusion is coming from.

The word 'exclusive' is rooted in 'exclude', this is very basic stuff and I'm amazed to see such discussion taking place over a really honest to god straightforward piece of text written in the english language. You can unfold "exclusively embed CryEngine' into 'embed Cryengine at the exclusion of all other engines' but the meaning remains exactly the same.

This isn't even lawyering guys, this is basic communication in the english language. Jesus.

Being that Crytek is a Germany company, I wonder if there is also a German version of this GLA? (Misunderstandings in translated written documents is something that as a New Zealander, I can fully understand - our Treaty of Waitangi, founding document, has both a English and Maori version which has lead to many legal problems.)

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

thatguy posted:

Mods are asleep, post pictures of Tide PODS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6SY0YQhRtk

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Goobs posted:

I'm in LA and haven't seen what an actual unbleached normal persons rear end in a top hat looks like since high school

I'm actually dipping my hairless dots in a nice vat of skin lightening bleach right now, because for some reason I was cursed with the darkest taint mankind has ever known

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Kosumo posted:

Being that Crytek is a Germany company, I wonder if there is also a German version of this GLA? (Misunderstandings in translated written documents is something that as a New Zealander, I can fully understand - our Treaty of Waitangi, founding document, has both a English and Maori version which has lead to many legal problems.)
I was thinking this might be a thing, too. If the contract was originally in German, than it may not have translated across the meaning clearly in English. It also might explain the weird comma use.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

TheAgent posted:

I'm in LA and haven't seen what an actual unbleached normal persons rear end in a top hat looks like since high school

:same:

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

BluesShaman posted:

Star Citizen: It depends upon what the meaning of the word "exclusive" is.

Star Citizen: We should see other games

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

TheAgent posted:

A SurfaceDetail parachute will be along momentarily.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

Makes no sense. Perhaps you meant 'Halo is being released as an XBox exclusive title' which means it excludes other platforms other than XBox.

I did, but the original line still works (well, sort of because Xbox isn't the one doing the releasing, but for the purpose of the line, assume Bungie is now part of the Xbox corporation). Halo is a title exclusive to Xbox. Xbox is releasing Halo as an exclusive. Xbox is exclusively releasing Halo.

I mean, I don't want to get into dictionary definitions here, but:

exclusively
to the exclusion of others; only.
"paints produced exclusively for independent retailers"
as the only source.
"I can exclusively reveal that Gail shares a birthday with Rod Stewart"

You can see that it swings both ways. In the second definition it's not the birthday that's exclusive, but the single source of the action. Xbox is the only source of Halo.

Taking that definition and applying it to the full section, not just the subsection:
"...Crytek grants to Licensee a world-wide, license only: to exclusively embed CryEngine in the Game and develop the Game which right shall be sub-licensable pursuant to Sec. 2.6"
You can see that if we say the exclusivity is taking CIG as the only source to make the game with CryEngine, it has a different meaning to if CIG needs to make the game with CryEngine to the exclusion of others.

The other two sections also make much more sense in this reading. Saying CIG has the license to exclusively manufacture the game makes more sense that only CIG can make the game, not that CIG can only make the game and nothing else. 2.1.1 also reads better if you say anyone, including CIG can work on improving the engine, not CIG can work on any engine they like.

This is compounded by looking at the current CryEngine single user limited license agreement, which shares heavy similarities to the CIG one, and probably share a similar foundation.

"2.1. Grant: Subject to strict and continuous compliance with the restrictions of this Agreement Crytek grants to Licensee a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-assignable, non-sublicensable, limited license (the “License”) only to:

2.1.1. to install and run the CRYENGINE pursuant to the CRYENGINE Documentation;

2.1.2. to develop, maintain, extend and/or enhance CRYENGINE pursuant to the CRYENGINE Documentation;

2.1.3. to develop Games using CRYENGINE and to render such Games in object code form (including the CRYENGINE Assets and the CRYENGINE Redistributables) pursuant to the CRYENGINE documentation;

2.1.4. publish, distribute, sell, sublicense or exploit in any other way Games developed and rendered during the Subscription Period in object code form only and only under terms consistent with and no less protective of Crytek’s rights than those contained in this Agreement in perpetuity. ..."

We can see that the exclusive clause is way up the front, directly referring to how exclusive the license is for the end user. It's not exclusive, because plenty of people are going to be using this license to make games. But CIG have a specific license to them and their game. It is exclusive to them. But not every part of that grant is exclusive, namely 2.1.2, the ability to develop, maintain, extend and/or enhance CryEngine. Everyone else, from CryTek to anyone with another exclusive or non-exclusive agreement has that right. That bit isn't exclusive to CIG.

So, perhaps, when they went to modify the document (or the document that the current agreement is based on, since it's much newer), they took the grants section, removed non-exclusive from 2.1, and placed it as the first qualifier for each sub-section, to make sure that the engine development was non-exclusive, but everything directly relating to Star Citizen was, including its development and production. And that's why 2.1.1 is non-exclusive, but 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 are.

I will grant you that the embed CryEngine doesn't appear in the new agreement, so you could argue that bit has special meaning, but again, why isn't that in 2.2? Or stated that CIG have an exclusive right to exclusively embed Cryengine to make it clear in respect to the restructure of 2.1 as a whole?

Again, I am not a lawyer. But I think it's a bit much to look at that sub-section, with its total lack of punctuation and clarifying statements, and say it can only be read one way.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

TheAgent posted:

I'm actually dipping my hairless dots in a nice vat of skin lightening bleach right now, because for some reason I was cursed with the darkest taint mankind has ever known

Anal (and most other) skin color variance is usually due to pigmentation density being higher in areas with skin that has been stretched a lot. So "some reason" is usually a history of rigorously exercising the sphincter. Alternatively you just have genes for a highly pliable butthole. Sorry man, but you may have been born with an extended capacity for being a Star Citizen backer.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Is he dead?

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Thoatse posted:

Is he dead?

Nope.

e: not the first to make this joke itt

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Ubik_Lives posted:

"I can exclusively reveal that Gail shares a birthday with Rod Stewart"

You can see that it swings both ways. In the second definition it's not the birthday that's exclusive, but the single source of the action. Xbox is the only source of Halo.

There is no second definition, the definition is exactly the same. The word is rooted in 'exclude', if you can exclusively reveal a piece of information that means that you are party to that information to the exclusion of others and can therefore exclusively reveal it.

You wouldn't be able to exclusively reveal it if the information was not exclusive to you. So in your example above it is implicit that the information you are revealing is exclusive to you, meaning that all others are excluded from having it. I can unpack your example above into 'the fact that Gail shares a birthday with Rod Stewart is something hitherto known only to me', and now I have an explicit sentence and understanding and now we can have a conversation around the thing that you have exclusively shared with me.

It's the same as a news organisation having an 'exclusive', they have something that no one else has yet. You can play fast and loose with this of course but when it comes to signing something I think the definition and useage is well established, well defined and well understood.

I have read your full post and I do follow your reasoning and understand the argument but I don't agree with it for this reason.

I do think that this exclusivity term in the license could be argued to be an unfair term but I do not expect any argument around this to come from this direction of definitions of the language used because to me it is perfectly clear.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Thoatse posted:

Is he dead?
I suspect his brain activity has been below the "pull the plug" threshold for quite some time.

Does that count?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Star Citizen: Stop feeling that way and wait until the game

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Taking the hard to argue road of "it's not pay to win because the game doesn't recognise anything you do as an quantifiable activity"

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I like how his primary objection to the P2W label is that it harms the image of the "game" (presumably lowering the uptake of suckers), not that it's false. He doesn't care about its veracity either way, that's not the important part.

And for some reason we're supposed to believe this isn't a cult.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ghostlight posted:

Guess who backed Star Citizen.

Shiiiit, I almost did too. I almost bought into this hype and I was at least going to buy the starter ship before the game would go full price.

Obviously this is a lovely thing to do now, but at some point this thing showed promise. At least before Beer got excommunicated from the church of citizentology for loving trying to promote the game. I still can't believe how aggressively stupidly hostile their decisions were on straight up silencing criticism.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Also, I remember asking this question a lot and thanks to this lawsuit I know why. I was always asking why the everloving gently caress would they use the Crytek engine, something clearly not designed for MMOs, be their choice. Wellllll, now i know that it was a legal obligation.

Digging that hole, seeing Crytek go under and then try to switch to a different crytek engine licensed by Amazon makes sense. I guess they thought if it happened to mad catz (after that whole HOTAS bullshit), might as well do the same thing to crytek, why not

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In Blacklight Retribution I spend a whole bunch of cash on decking out my character with the best guns and boosts and perks and it's not pay to win because what is winning. It's pay to play how I want to, which just happens to be ending rounds on the top of the scoreboard, but maybe some guys are roleplaying as cyberpunk wallhackers - it doesn't stop them doing that. What I'm saying is we all define "winning" a different way, even if the game explicitly defines it for us through the power structures of conflict, and I'm playing the way I want to which the developers intentionally gated behind either hours of grinding that I don't want to do, or my pay cheque that's going towards video games anyway. That doesn't make it pay to win, even though from my perspective I am winning and I have literally paid for the tools to enable me to do so.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Fargin Icehole posted:

Shiiiit, I almost did too. I almost bought into this hype and I was at least going to buy the starter ship before the game would go full price.

Obviously this is a lovely thing to do now, but at some point this thing showed promise. At least before Beer got excommunicated from the church of citizentology for loving trying to promote the game. I still can't believe how aggressively stupidly hostile their decisions were on straight up silencing criticism.

:eyepop:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

lmbo "crappy dinosaur app"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVnk3yT2Lgo

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

There is no second definition, the definition is exactly the same. The word is rooted in 'exclude', if you can exclusively reveal a piece of information that means that you are party to that information to the exclusion of others and can therefore exclusively reveal it.

But that's not the same, because we were talking about actions before, not the actors. Actions that only you can take are different to you being only able to take one action.

We both agreed before that Bob exclusively listening to pop music meant that Bob didn't listen to other music. This was the first definition, "only", so "Bob only listens to pop music". But if we use the second definition, the sentence takes a radically different meaning; "Bob is the only one who can listen to pop music". We know that isn't true, so we discount it, but it has that potential meaning.

After all, if we took the birthday example, and applied the first definition, again, we get a weird result. "I can only reveal that Gail and Rob Stewart share a birthday". Not "only I can", but "I can only". I can't reveal anything else to anyone. Unless this is some sort of deduction puzzle game, we would ignore this definition and use the second.

So, then it comes to CIG and exclusively embedding CryEngine. To use your words, we are now deciding between if this means "to the exclusion of other things", i.e.; they can only use CryEngine and no other engines, or "to the exclusion of others", i.e.; only they can be the ones to embed CryEngine, and no-one else (except those allowed in 2.6).

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 8, 2018

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

I think what this guy might have trouble with is that Elite: Dangerous was not intended to have the same features as Star Citizen because maybe E:D was built to be flying around in space, first and foremost. You obviously cannot see your own legs or walk around space stations because the GAME WAS NOT INTENDED TO HAVE THESE FEATURES

Goddamn, how can these people miss that. It's the same thing as Ben Lesnick hating Freespace because it wasn't like Wing Commander. No poo poo sherlock, it's designed differently. Freespace doesn't have chewing the fat with your team mates before fighting cat monsters, no. It has you being the cog in the machine and seeing your mission objectives go horribly wrong because Volition can do visual Storytelling and do it extremely well.

I played Freespace 2 when I was a kid, and I'd put that above most big time RPGs trying to weave a story.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 8, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Bob exclusively listening to pop music cannot be made to mean that only Bob can listen to pop music because word order matters in English and as a result "exclusively" modifies the verb, not the subject. To make it mean otherwise you would need to rearrange the words, or imply their rearrangement through commas - "Exclusively Bob listens to pop music"; "Bob, exclusively, listens to pop music".

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Citizens, experts at games development and youtube lawyers.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
AND another thing. I really liked Freelancer, and I wish it had more time to be developed. Chris Roberts or not (obviously now seeing as how he barely did anything with it and got kicked out of the project mid development, and he still claims credit)

Lovely how the Texas System has a prison ship called Sugarland, lovely because sugarland is known for it's prisons. NEAT! It's almost as if all these humans that packed up and left the system, unpacked everything and wanted everything to be the same. Cool! Germany declares war on the british and american systems, and the Japanese in a twist of fate, also fight the germans! This is great!

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

CIG is exclusively creating Star Citizen. They are also creating lolz and victims.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Ubik_Lives posted:

But that's not the same, because we were talking about actions before, not the actors. Actions that only you can take are different to you being only able to take one action.

We both agreed before that Bob exclusively listening to pop music meant that Bob didn't listen to other music. This was the first definition, "only", so "Bob only listens to pop music". But if we use the second definition, the sentence takes a radically different meaning; "Bob is the only one who can listen to pop music". We know that isn't true, so we discount it, but it has that potential meaning.

No, you are completely wrong

Bob is exclusively listening to pop music -
"exclusively listening"

'listening' is a verb. How is Bob listening? Look at the adverb preceding the verb, he is listening exclusively.

In order for it to mean that only Bob is listening to pop music you would have to write it thusly:
"Bob, exclusively, is listening to pop music"

You are misinterpretating basic english and then arguing that your misinterpretation is actually another definition of the same sentence.

Unless of course you are completely trolling me in which case well played.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Ghostlight posted:

Bob exclusively listening to pop music cannot be made to mean that only Bob can listen to pop music because word order matters in English and as a result "exclusively" modifies the verb, not the subject. To make it mean otherwise you would need to rearrange the words, or imply their rearrangement through commas - "Exclusively Bob listens to pop music"; "Bob, exclusively, listens to pop music".

Thank you, loving hell I'm loosing my mind over here

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Fargin Icehole posted:

Also, I remember asking this question a lot and thanks to this lawsuit I know why. I was always asking why the everloving gently caress would they use the Crytek engine, something clearly not designed for MMOs, be their choice. Wellllll, now i know that it was a legal obligation.

Digging that hole, seeing Crytek go under and then try to switch to a different crytek engine licensed by Amazon makes sense. I guess they thought if it happened to mad catz (after that whole HOTAS bullshit), might as well do the same thing to crytek, why not

There's a bit more to it than that, because Crytek built the early tech demos that were used in the kickstarter when Chris couldn't get publishers interested in the project.

I'm sure this will be covered in Bootcha's unfolding and excellent Sunk Cost Galaxy videos.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Hahahaha, how sheltered are you?

Besides Jamaicans, I was unaware that people bleached their assholes.

But, now that you've enlightened me (probably due to you using it to bleach your balls, anus and eyes), I thank you. Oh wise Anus Bleacher. I bow before you humbly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
It's totally irrelevant to debate some kind of strict grammatical interpretation of how the exclusivity clause should be read (you are all wrong, by the way).

If this is going to be a jury trial, the contract is going to have to be argued in front of a bunch of laymen. Unless every single one of them is a pedantic grammar teacher, their initial interpretations are probably going to vary as widely as the interpretations itt.