Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ullerrm posted:

Sensible. Some of it may also be the US tax changes and people being careful with their money because it’s not obvious what their standard deduction is going to be; I know I’m much more comfortable doing charity poo poo after April.

Yeah, I've only donated $30 so far when I usually end up over $400 by the end of the week. I just gave my "big" donation of $180 to my friend Heather who is going to have her power shut off as soon as it's 33 degrees at night (which is happening later this week). Well, thanks to me she can now pay her power bill and that won't loving happen. That's not tax deductible anyway so who cares? But my donations to the event are going to be quite a bit lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
At least everyone agrees this is a solid 1:55 nap.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

i was extremely doubtful that they’d break 2 million this year anyway since a huge chunk of that came from a surprise bamco anime pack in the final day or so that was filled to the brim with incredible poo poo. they kinda tried to do that again at sgdq but it was a bit underwhelming.

i don’t really see that lightning striking twice, but my concern now if they don’t hit it is that dweeboid idiots are going to point to it as GDQ becoming “too corporate/SJW”
Milestones also drive donations. It generates a lot of excitement, and people who were on the fence about donating now want to help hit that big number. With that gone you need the day-to-day audience/donations to grow to get to that home stretch on the final day, and right now 2018 is doing a little bit better than 2017 so I highly doubt 3 million or even 2.5 is in the cards.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
humor couch would be pretty easy if you just hired a couple of funny dudes and pay them in beer and food for a few days to say what they think is happening.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there an easy way to find the vods for runs Blechy has commented? I need something more fun than this run.

Also are there any other commentators out there as good as Blechy?

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
The people whining about chat are people that are not willing to pony up 5bux to spam pepe at people trying to play video games. Gonna go out on a limb and figure that they're not donating otherwise during the event, and therefore are either children, assholes, tightwads, or genuinely disenfranchised. 3/4 of those have opinions worth dismissing as a matter of course.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

It is. I didn't know either, and I asked in another thread. It's supposed to be from Breath of the Wild.

Is it really a big deal if they don't break the record from last time? The aim is to raise money for PCF. Whether that's $100,000 or $1,000,000, it going to a cause to help people. Obviously, it would be great if they could bring in more donations, but if they don't raise as much as they did last year, I don't think they're going to cancel the event or anything.

Part of it depends on how much you care.

GDQs ability to negotiate a budget with a charity org is going to be tied to their amount raised. So $100,000 would probably cause a major shift or possibly kill how GDQ operates :v:, but I think there's concern that GDQ raising less might cause it to stop growing, or even start shrinking. A lot of this is perception rather than reality: if GDQ raises $1.5 million instead of $2.2, it'll continue to exist for sure. But if they only raise $1.5 million then maybe it gets harder for them to get better sponsors, or they're unable to expand to bigger venues to host more people, since the event is already heavily capped. You or I won't know if this actually happens, but it becomes much more plausible

GDQs main metric is donation total raised, which is great when it goes well since everyone can see it, but that visibility is harmful when times are tough.

Would love to see a Product Manager breakdown GDQ because it'd be super interesting (also terrifying)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kaubocks posted:

i was extremely doubtful that they’d break 2 million this year anyway since a huge chunk of that came from a surprise bamco anime pack in the final day or so that was filled to the brim with incredible poo poo. they kinda tried to do that again at sgdq but it was a bit underwhelming.
I do remember the donations shot through the roof when they did that pack.

Studio posted:

Part of it depends on how much you care.

GDQs ability to negotiate a budget with a charity org is going to be tied to their amount raised. So $100,000 would probably cause a major shift or possibly kill how GDQ operates :v:, but I think there's concern that GDQ raising less might cause it to stop growing, or even start shrinking. A lot of this is perception rather than reality: if GDQ raises $1.5 million instead of $2.2, it'll continue to exist for sure. But if they only raise $1.5 million then maybe it gets harder for them to get better sponsors, or they're unable to expand to bigger venues to host more people, since the event is already heavily capped. You or I won't know if this actually happens, but it becomes much more plausible

GDQs main metric is donation total raised, which is great when it goes well since everyone can see it, but that visibility is harmful when times are tough.

Would love to see a Product Manager breakdown GDQ because it'd be super interesting (also terrifying)

That is a little worrying. Still, we're only on the first day, so maybe things will pickup.

Even if the event did shrink, though, that wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world. It started out as something that was done out of one of the runner's homes, and I don't think it would drop down to that point again

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Everybody ready for this videogame I've never heard about?

Also gently caress yeah Earthworm Jim soundtrack owns.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

victrix posted:

Is there an easy way to find the vods for runs Blechy has commented? I need something more fun than this run.

Also are there any other commentators out there as good as Blechy?

Finding a comprehensive list of ones he's commentated is difficult but here's a list of ones he's run
http://gdqvods.com/runner/blechy/

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
That LBP2 run was the absolute worst loving thing even if they likely got a world record speedrun clear out of it.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I think you all are thinking waaaaaaaaay too much about things way too early. I mean, I know this game is oppressively boring, but it's not that bad.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Your hands are your careers, guys. Don't wring them in anguish too hard.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Roflan posted:

I think you all are thinking waaaaaaaaay too much about things way too early. I mean, I know this game is oppressively boring, but it's not that bad.

i think you would find that you are incredibly wrong about everything in that post

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Hey doods that boring run is finally over.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Shwqa posted:

Hey doods that boring run is finally over.

heck yea are you ready for some prinnys dood?

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

That LBP2 run was so intense the time person didn't even bother to hit the button until like 5 seconds after the dude said "time!". Why'd they do away with that foot pedal again? Seemed like a pretty good solution without having to have some poor shlub be part of the whole "get ready on time" spiel.

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

I miss the lovely, spammy Twitch chat overreacting to every single thing on screen. Admittedly, I probably have very low standards for humor, but I always found it pretty funny.

I also miss the shots of the audience in between runs, because the lovely Twitch chat full of dumb kids would make dumb jokes about everything going on.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

They got rid of the pedal? I loved the pedal.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I don't know how you can explain this game's "plot" in front of thousands without dying of shame.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Oh it's THIS game. Okay. This game is okay.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I don't know how you can explain this game's "plot" in front of thousands without dying of shame.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The crowd shot cam wouldn't matter now anyway because the crowd's been dead since like Skyrim

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

I do remember the donations shot through the roof when they did that pack.

That is a little worrying. Still, we're only on the first day, so maybe things will pickup.

Even if the event did shrink, though, that wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world. It started out as something that was done out of one of the runner's homes, and I don't think it would drop down to that point again

Yeah I'm not too worried. I just know what to worry for and when 😎

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I just bought some of the Fangamer merch too. I think that may be the extent of what I do this year unless there is some super good donation incentive coming up.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
idk how i feel about mark zuckerberg talking to me about retrieving a girl's stolen panties

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Wow, they were still making PSP games in 2010?

Actually, I just looked it up, they were still making PSP games in 2016

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
one thousand empty chairs watch an unrepentant pervert instruct a penguin to steal women's underwear

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Classic Belta Bra™

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I can HEAR the uncomfortable smirk when he says 'belt bra'.

Like man, have at least a bit of shame to not publicly enjoy creepy anime poo poo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Squashing Machine posted:

one thousand empty chairs watch an unrepentant pervert instruct a penguin to steal women's underwear
I think he's recovering stolen underwear, so it's at least...the right thing to do???

Also, thanks for noting the belt bra, dude. Real...good observation.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pakled posted:

Wow, they were still making PSP games in 2010?

Actually, I just looked it up, they were still making PSP games in 2016
Sony handhelds were incredibly popular... in Japan.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did he give himself a thousand lives?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
he's nervous about playing a no reset game but not nervous about unrepentent waifus

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

IIRC you start with 1000 lives, because this game fancied itself as a bit tricky.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

No, the game is just punishingly difficult so it gives you 1000 lives to beat the game (and you never get any more).

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Your characters die in three hits (1 on the hardest difficulty). So, when you gently caress up, the Prinny you were controlling gets replaced with the next poor bastard in line.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
youre gettin owned DOOD

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My "favorite" thing about Japanese devs is that they always seem to give characters exactly one voice line that they spam with every single attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

In addition to creepy panties and anime poo poo, do you think this guy is into choking? Because it would make sense :haw:

• Locked thread