Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DoctorWhat posted:

Moffat is good actually.

It take it you haven't watched Sherlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TheMaestroso posted:

It take it you haven't watched Sherlock

Sherlock loving sucks as it goes on but that's what happens when you massively overextend yourself.

EDIT: Moffat employed Rachel Talalay, one of the greatest directors in genre film and TV history, and the resulting episodes are some of the best Doctor Who of the decade.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

sexpig by night posted:

this is such a weird convo.

"Overwatch's representation is pointless because it's like stamping 'is gay' on the box of a doll"

"Well they actually do a lot to build a canon around the game even if the game itself is rooty tooty point and shooty."

"Canon doesn't even loving exist you capitalist stooge."

I mean, poo poo, I don't even disagree, but that's a bit zero to sixty.

i feel like i should clarify that i'm 100% in support of stamping gay on every single doll and action figure

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

nine-gear crow posted:

What the gently caress is Doug even doing anymore? :pwn:

Whoring?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean that's what happens when you put the acting chops of Christopher Eccleston up against Matt Smith. And 11's later years are definitely Moffat's lowest point.

Not wrong but as HBomb mentions Moffat WROTE one of Eccleston's iconic Doctor performances that defined the character! He's a fan, he knows what Doctor Who is good as, but his rigid "EVERY SEASON MUST HAVE AN ELABORATE METAPLOT THAT TIES INTO OLD SEASONS...BECAUSE TIME..." concepts make him a terrible showrunner that hampers actors' development in a character. I mean if this is an acting chops issue let's not pretend Capaldi isn't fantastic and absolutely sells the good writing when it comes to him, and yet his run was 90% wheel spinning.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Augus posted:

The Finn and Poe shipping is kinda a stretch tbqh
I mean, people will ship literally anyone with anyone
Even characters they have barely even shared screentime with

Gilmore Girls fanfic sites have to explicitly say "No Lorelei / Rory"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

i feel like i should clarify that i'm 100% in support of stamping gay on every single doll and action figure

I'm of the opinion that they're all already gay and nobody has the authority to tell me they aren't.

Especially Batman.

E: just to try to tie up this digression, my problem isn't with people being happy with queer representation in corporate owned media, hell, I love Sense8. My problem is with the idea that representation like the Tracer thing that functionally amounts to writing "is gay" on the back of an action figure box is more worthwhile than fan artists actually writing queer relationships in depth because the former has corporate money behind it and therefore gets to determine what's canon and what's non canon.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 8, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Not wrong but as HBomb mentions Moffat WROTE one of Eccleston's iconic Doctor performances that defined the character! He's a fan, he knows what Doctor Who is good as, but his rigid "EVERY SEASON MUST HAVE AN ELABORATE METAPLOT THAT TIES INTO OLD SEASONS...BECAUSE TIME..." concepts make him a terrible showrunner that hampers actors' development in a character. I mean if this is an acting chops issue let's not pretend Capaldi isn't fantastic and absolutely sells the good writing when it comes to him, and yet his run was 90% wheel spinning.

Series 9 and 10 and even 8 don't really have metaplots more elaborate than any of the RTD seasons. Series 9's metaplot, "The Hybrid", is a ruse - "The Hybrid" is, explicitly, the dysfunctional, co-dependent relationship that has developed between Clara and The Doctor. That so few people seem to grasp this baffles me. It's ALL ABOUT development.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

It's very important that I know which of the characters is gay before they all go into a slaughter-dome to murder each other to death.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DoctorWhat posted:

Series 9 and 10 and even 8 don't really have metaplots more elaborate than any of the RTD seasons. Series 9's metaplot, "The Hybrid", is a ruse - "The Hybrid" is, explicitly, the dysfunctional, co-dependent relationship that has developed between Clara and The Doctor. That so few people seem to grasp this baffles me. It's ALL ABOUT development.

and then what happens at the end of that development

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Doctor does like seventeen awful, irresponsible, violent things trying to avenge and/or save Clara because he's operating under the stupid, egotistical misconception that he is responsible for her. Then Clara realizes the toxicity of their relationship and breaks it off, and in achieving this enlightenment she is able to function as her very own The Doctor thereafter - which, of course, has been the entire crux of her character since Flatline and was reinforced by the opening titles of Death in Heaven.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lornekates posted:

Gilmore Girls fanfic sites have to explicitly say "No Lorelei / Rory"

On Supernatural, the main characters run into people who ship the two of them and they're rightfully disgusted because they're brothers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kim Justice posted:

Bunch of Hanzo mains up in here

New video up by Zarya main

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtPZ96oHH-4

The Christmas special was rubbish, even ignoring how it misrepresents what the first Doctor's run was actually like.

I don't know if I agree that Moffat's time as showrunner hasn't had any memorable side characters, River got most of her development under his tenure (but she's had at least 2 farewells already), Missy was a fantastic version of the Master (but got a farewell in the previous episode) and the Paternosters have been fun side characters (and who would have made a good bookend to Capaldi's run given their presence in his first episode).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There's also Perkins, the mechanic from Mummy played by Frank Skinner, and the Osgoods and Kate Stewart, and Danny Pink!

Just because the show isn't about Coronation Street characters getting plucked out of their lives anymore doesn't make it worse.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Moffat's capable of both great good and astoundingly bad.

Like you can say Sherlock went bad as it went on, but that Irene Adler episode was first season. There's not much of a way to defend it imo.

We probably would not have a woman doctor without Moffat, he has had some positive benefits. Many people do both good and bad things.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DoctorWhat posted:

There's also Perkins, the mechanic from Mummy played by Frank Skinner, and the Osgoods and Kate Stewart, and Danny Pink!

Just because the show isn't about Coronation Street characters getting plucked out of their lives anymore doesn't make it worse.

I'd forgotten the Osgoods and Stewart and I think that's for the best.

Danny Pink would definitely have been a good one to have come back, especially with the memory stuff.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Like you can say Sherlock went bad as it went on, but that Irene Adler episode was first season. There's not much of a way to defend it imo.
It was the first episode of the second season. The first season had the lovely yellow peril episode but at least the other two were great.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 8, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The best doctor is the seventh doctor or arguably the second.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Troughton and McCoy are both fantastic but the best doctors are multiples of six

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Best Doctors:

1) Eccleston
2) Troughton
3) Nick Riviera
4) Tennant
5) Robotnik

Honorable Mentions: Dr.s John, Baker, Demento, Fine, Howard, Fine, and Doom

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

On Supernatural, the main characters run into people who ship the two of them and they're rightfully disgusted because they're brothers.

They also run into people shopping them. Like, their real selves, and those mutants get angry at their wives for existing and ruining their J/J fantasies.

Fandoms are dumpsters and I'm a raccoon eating from them until I get fat and stuck in the sewer.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

We're looking at a broken soyboy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched that who thing because my dad wanted me to watch it with him, and it was bad like every other who things and I do not get this show. It's also very ugly and I wish they'd get a better camera.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I watched that who thing because my dad wanted me to watch it with him, and it was bad like every other who things and I do not get this show. It's also very ugly and I wish they'd get a better camera.

please, the BBC only has 3 cameras, don't make them buy a new one it would bankrupt the United Kingdom

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Strat-Edgy - Problematic Education Part One - The No Child Left Behind Act: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgvq40-T2aA

Just LOL he calls Bush policy bullshit "Well intentioned" as if it wasn't working as intended.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Stupid name

And there's a skull too, I am not watching this video

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 8, 2018

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

nine-gear crow posted:

What the gently caress is Doug even doing anymore? :pwn:

I used to believe the quality of my work was too low to be featured on Channel Awesome. I now no longer suffer from that delusion.

I mean, the delivery of those two guys is just bad. Here's some fairly obvious advice for anybody who wants to do this sort of thing. Make sure you sound natural when you're speaking, not like you're obviously saying lines from a script. You can come up with the funniest jokes in the world, but they won't work if it looks like you're reading them off a cue card that's just a hair too far away. The only exception I can think of is if english is not your first language.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I Before E posted:

Best Doctors:

1) Eccleston
2) Troughton
3) Nick Riviera
4) Tennant
5) Robotnik

Honorable Mentions: Dr.s John, Baker, Demento, Fine, Howard, Fine, and Doom

Nicely done, but I believe you mean Howard, Fine, Howard.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kim Justice posted:

Stupid name

And there's a skull too, I am not watching this video

Understandable.

Here's a Good video, spoiler free Last Jedi review I just found by Steve Shives(?).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps7ZdMCHUVE

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

I Before E posted:

Best Doctors:

1) Robotnik
2) Robuttnik
3) Boratnik
4) Robojingles Nickelstein III
5) Aggman

Honorable Mentions: Dr.s Pepper, Demento, Pibb, Phil and Frankensteen

Fyp

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Lindsay undeleted her Twitter, and made an accompanying Blag post: "The Screaming Hellsite"

http://namebrandlindsay.com/2018/01/08/the-screaming-hellsite/

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Which part of it was written on this thread!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Hellsite giveth, and The Hellsite taketh away
I've tried and failed about 3 times now to keep an active twitter account and just ended up deleting it each time because I realized it was just making me even more angry.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I know. Twitter sucks. But then every now and then I find something like this.

https://twitter.com/nickisnixed/status/950085068990664704

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are any of the Tennant Christmas episodes even good? The only one of them I sort of like is the one with the Victorian cyberman mech.
Matt Smith had a pair of good Christmas specials and one bad one. Shame that bill bailey was wasted in the second one when he was dressed up like a space marine.

Capaldi's Christmas special with Nick Frost was really fun up until the very obviously added in post end scene where it turns out Clara wasn't actually dying of old age.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I'm (preemptively) sorry for 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySJpMyLiLRU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Denying the importance of Canon is violence

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

lornekates posted:

It's very important that I know which of the characters is gay before they all go into a slaughter-dome to murder each other to death.

My pedantry cannot stand by any long: Overwatch is not an arena shooter, consarnit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are any of the Tennant Christmas episodes even good? The only one of them I sort of like is the one with the Victorian cyberman mech.

Aside from the one with Space Titanic, which I didn't think was very good, Tenant's Christmas specials tended to be good but not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I've never seen this channel but this video was utterly hilarious so thought I should throw him a bone and a subscriber and he has over 3.5 million of them. Cool stuff funnier Jonathan Mann, thanks for being you bud!

Sorry but all I can think of is Rian Johnson going to tweet out about how this budding YouTube critic called Steve Shives had really nailed everything he was going for with TLJ and that everyone should see this, only to find out that he'd been blocked by Steve for no reason whatsoever.

• Locked thread