Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Things you need to do in a platformer: walk left and right, press botans

sounds like a keyboard'll do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
playing 2d platformers with a keyboard is a lot like doing your taxes in crayon: physically possible and potentially legal but generally frowned upon by polite society

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Kins posted:

playing 2d platformers with a keyboard is a lot like doing your taxes in crayon: physically possible and potentially legal but generally frowned upon by polite society

Most 2D plaformers only require digital inputs. It's like all the imbeciles arguing you couldn't play SMB with a keyboard when it's all digital inputs and it doesn't care about analog position. This is why most people can't even do a hadoken, BTW.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
yeah the best credits sequence

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
This song is good

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

pretty good chill run

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ceramics posted:

pretty good chill run

:yeah: it was a decent breakfast run

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

nullEntityRNG posted:

Psst:
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq18/
(Feel free to change it to 17, 16 or sgdq for those)

I actually found the 17 and 16 one which is what made me make the suggestion :>

(also thank you, I was looking for this years viewership graph to prove a point to a friend)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This looks kinda like Axiom Verge with retro graphics

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
For per game calculations. I have two thoughts.

1: Everything from the end of the previous game until the start of the next game counts toward a game's donation total (ie: from "Time!" on Crash until "321 Go" on Splatoon counts towards Ratchet and Clank)
2: 10 minutes prior to start and 10 minutes after time is called count towards a game

Which seems more accurate or anyone got a better thought? As a note, donation incentives NOT being factored in directly for any game because that'd get murky.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think break time being counted towards the previous game is cleaner and it's probably more precise, considering the delay on donations.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Happy to see a run that's less than an hour, the last few 1+ hour runs started to drag in their second halves.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Dias posted:

I think break time being counted towards the previous game is cleaner and it's probably more precise, considering the delay on donations.

There's often bidwars/incentives and people going for early shoutouts for the upcoming game too, so overlap is inevitable, is my thoughts.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TeaJay posted:

This looks kinda like Axiom Verge with retro graphics

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Any good stuff between Hollow Knight and now?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

tbf ESA is more old-school PC graphics than NES.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I guess we could say retro in the sense of what modern game developers consider retro

I do like the pixel graphics many indie games have nowadays though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
this game looks pretty sweet

smh

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
pixel games are cool and good but please do not mix pixel densities or use sprite rotation it offends my delicate gamer sensibilities

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
what absolute excitement

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oof :(

just skip it, this is getting awkward
e: nvm

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dias posted:

tbf ESA is more old-school PC graphics than NES.

Even by that standard, it still doesn't really fit. MURI is a better example of emulating the visual style of old DOS platformers

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Even by that standard, it still doesn't really fit. MURI is a better example of emulating the visual style of old DOS platformers
MURI is also a super-good tribute to the first 2D Duke Nukem game and you should totally play it. I wanna say it was on a GDQ or some other marathon at some point?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Max Wilco posted:

Maybe it's some hosed up Mandela effect but I remember playing DOS games that looked sorta like ESA. MURI was more people trying to "push" graphics.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Retro graphic are dumb and bad. They used those graphics because they were technically limited and unable to make it not look like poo poo, so choosing to make it look like poo poo when you don't have to is dumb.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJ posted:

Retro graphic are dumb and bad. They used those graphics because they were technically limited and unable to make it not look like poo poo, so choosing to make it look like poo poo when you don't have to is dumb.

it's also a lot cheaper and easier to make than fancy modern graphics (especially 3D) which is why a lot of smaller/indie studios are doing it

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

This run woke me up by sounding rad. False alarm or no?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

this one is good to watch so far. it has a guy that goes zoom

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
He goes fast. I think that is a good speedrun. Early morning speedthings are always low-key tho.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

CJ posted:

Putting restrictions on yourself is a common way to challenge yourself as an artist regardless of the craft, and external restrictions have helped shape many techniques and genres people have grown to love, so I don't think it's fair to generalize it like that, although I'm not a big fan of retro graphics in games myself and suspect that their prevalence is caused mostly by a combination of nostalgia and convenience.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Even going fast, the guy has a chill voice so it makes it oddly relaxing, like achieving a zen-like state.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

jimmydalad posted:

Even going fast, the guy has a chill voice so it makes it oddly relaxing, like achieving a zen-like state.

Yeah I'm falling back asleep.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
that was a nice little run

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I agree with the guy who donated, it would be fun to see a run with minimal jumping since the game counts it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

tyblazitar posted:

Putting restrictions on yourself is a common way to challenge yourself as an artist regardless of the craft, and external restrictions have helped shape many techniques and genres people have grown to love, so I don't think it's fair to generalize it like that, although I'm not a big fan of retro graphics in games myself and suspect that their prevalence is caused mostly by a combination of nostalgia and convenience.

Can you name a game that you think is improved by using primitive pixel art? Yeah, not showing the lovely Alien suit made that movie scarier but it's not like Ridley Scott was breaking out the stop motion kit to captialise on the Jason and the Argonauts nostalgia. They were trying their hardest with what they had.

Also, watching these overnight PC blocks in GDQs reminds me how many lovely movement gimmick platformers there are that nobody has heard of. I feel bad for the people who make them hoping to be the next Super Meat Boy.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

OK bye again goon friends! I'm going back to bed!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJ posted:

Can you name a game that you think is improved by using primitive pixel art? Yeah, not showing the lovely Alien suit made that movie scarier but it's not like Ridley Scott was breaking out the stop motion kit to captialise on the Jason and the Argonauts nostalgia. They were trying their hardest with what they had.

Also, watching these overnight PC blocks in GDQs reminds me how many lovely movement gimmick platformers there are that nobody has heard of. I feel bad for the people who make them hoping to be the next Super Meat Boy.

isn't it a little early to be this angry

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
CJ is the dude that thought most of Jojo Part 3 was filler because it had nothing to do with DIO. Engage at your own peril.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
i'm gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

• Locked thread