Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lets all listen to the maken x soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjLVrXz9Ybs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

lets all listen to the maken x soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjLVrXz9Ybs
now read the manga

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Welp. Just finished Night in the Woods. drat.

Not sure I understood what happened towards the end, not sure I'm supposed to be able to understand, but it really did hit home in a number of different ways. Maybe someday I can wrap my brain around coding well enough to aspire to make something even 1/12th as decent as NitW, something that would allow me to paint an interesting snapshot of my life and experiences here in much the same way that the writers' lives and experiences in western PA impacted NitW.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Welp. Just finished Night in the Woods. drat.

Not sure I understood what happened towards the end, not sure I'm supposed to be able to understand, but it really did hit home in a number of different ways. Maybe someday I can wrap my brain around coding well enough to aspire to make something even 1/12th as decent as NitW, something that would allow me to paint an interesting snapshot of my life and experiences here in much the same way that the writers' lives and experiences in western PA impacted NitW.

People were talking about it a few pages ago but basically, capitalism happened

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i just finished the second 'chapter' in house in fata morgana. its really good... are there other visual novels as good as this. have i been missing out bigtime

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
holy poo poo "space dragon" is easily video game song of the year

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shootguy, Doomguy's second cousin.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I like Vinny's stream too, though tonight kind of sucks. People need to send him better trash.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

homeless snail posted:

now read the manga

They got the Dorohedoro lady to do it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Back from vacation, happy new year everybody!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

If I were 12 at blockbuster I would definitely try to trick my mom into letting me rent this.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

homeless snail posted:

he loves getting stoned

stop doxxing me

Palpek posted:

Back from vacation, happy new year everybody!

who the hell is this guy

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

codenameFANGIO posted:

who the hell is this guy

*in over the top film trailer voice* Your worst nightmare!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Souls series has plenty of it too.

You can grind in Souls if you want. You certainly don't have to unless you're going for achievements or a rare armor set or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think I've ever deliberately grinded for anything in a Souls game. Closest is maybe a couple of death runs to get an item I wanted.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Grinding is an optional activity some players subject themselves to in order to make difficult future sections easier, either by inflating their numbers or rolling the dice until they get a particularly useful drop. It''s inherent to the genre only insofar as the established mechanics permit it as a means of circumventing a challenge you're not up for. It can be tedious, but that's the trade off - you're trading time now for convenience later.

I can't think of too many modern RPGs of any stripe I've played that still required grinding, though to be sure there are a couple hold-outs. There are also plenty of RPGs that are friendly to the idea of low-level runs, Souls among them (since it was just mentioned), and even a few that actively punish grinding.

Grinding is a problem, but most of the time it's self-inflicted.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

What are the predictions about Monster Hunter: World?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i predict it will involve hunting monsters, perhaps in a world

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Palpek posted:

You will buy and play it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

homeless snail posted:

he's bad but I offset it by writing his name as ravioli so it looks intentionally bad

Post the ravioli

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

These are some bold assumptions, gamers

I for one am angry that it isn't coming out on the PC until fall and plan on boycotting the purchase of the PC version for 6 months. Starting now

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Palpek posted:

goty 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

also goty 2019 when the PC version gets delayed

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

i predict it will involve hunting monsters, perhaps in a world

false

my uncle works for Monster Hunter and this time your goal is to date the monsters

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Really Pants posted:

false

my uncle works for Monster Hunter and this time your goal is to date the monsters

press x to kiss your dinosaur wife

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm gonna marry Nerscylla you can't stop me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't think I've ever deliberately grinded for anything in a Souls game. Closest is maybe a couple of death runs to get an item I wanted.

I don't think I ever grinded in an actual Souls game, though I definitely did in Bloodborne. To be fair, though, I absolutely never needed to--I just wanted to never think about Blood Vials again, so I grinded a bunch of blood echoes and bought enough Blood Vials to max out my stash.

I also did a ton of shameful Chalice Dungeon grinding for the perfect cursed blood gems because my brain temporarily broke, but hey, now I do marginally more damage with my Threaded Cane and Chikage :v:

(I sound pretty down on the Chalice Dungeons but I actually like them a lot and Bloodborne is amazing)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Real hurthling! posted:

You will buy and play it
Hmm, I guess I can't fight the logic in this sentence.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wasn't too impressed with the demo for MHW but I felt like it was missing all the aspects that make the gameplay loop so addictive.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The demos for that series would be better if they just didn't shortchange you on time.

From what I played of Generations they gave you like 20 minutes in that demo for a hunt but the full game it was like an hour for every mission.

Turns out the hunting aspects are more fun when you're not instantly chasing after a monster after it runs away because otherwise you have no time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I wasn't too impressed with the demo for MHW but I felt like it was missing all the aspects that make the gameplay loop so addictive.

From what I understand about Monster Hunter, it was. All the betas/demos are like that. In the full game, the time limit is more than double what you get in the demos, and there are quests that don't just involve "kill this one monster." And obviously there's the hunting, carving, and crafting parts that aren't there in the demos.

Phantasium posted:

Turns out the hunting aspects are more fun when you're not instantly chasing after a monster after it runs away because otherwise you have no time.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this.

Plus, in World they'll let you stay on the map after you finish the main quest if you want, which is great. You can explore and gather while hunting, and afterwards, too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

all the MH quests that aren't "kill this monster" suck rear end though, so it's better than the full game in that regard.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FirstAidKite posted:

I heard Vampire also used unique animations for every conversation. Is that true?

What I mean by that is that in games like skyrim, they have the same set of canned animations when you go into a dialogue with someone, but what I've read is that Vampire had custom animations for those talky bits so that nobody was doing the same set of canned animations. Idk how true that is or, if true, how exaggerated it is.

I remember the dialogue animations looking realistic and lifelike enough to impress me back then. I know that people made a big deal about it using the Source engine before even Half-Life 2 came out.

I don't know if it holds up after 15 years and almost don't want to know.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I played more TF2 last night. The time travel section was insanely good and how much better it was than anything that came before it was kind of staggering. Unfortunately, I thought the next section with the electric weapon was mostly really weak (mostly because I didn't really like using the spoilered thing and thought it lacked any punch).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TF2 is cool because the campaign was developed as a series of testing levels for different mechanics and instead of picking one to make a 5 hour game they decided gently caress it and just put all them in a row with loading screens between each chapter.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve never played a Monster Hunter game, what’s a good one to try on PC?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Monster Hunter World in Q4 2018, unless you wanna emulate a PSP game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Weird follow-up question: what’s a good Monster Hunter to try on PSP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve never played a Monster Hunter game, what’s a good one to try on PC?

nope

• Locked thread