Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Don't underestimate the time it takes to get decent.
I'm really bad at shooters, and it has taken me 97 hours now to get "okay".
I still haven't won a match, but I get owned less often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
If you have a good rig with good fps, shotguns are great weapons....

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Got an M24 from a loot drop in Sosnovka yesterday. Had an x8 and silencer for it on me already.

That feeling when you instakill level 3 dudes. :discourse:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Got an M24 from a loot drop in Sosnovka yesterday. Had an x8 and silencer for it on me already.

That feeling when you instakill level 3 dudes. :discourse:

M24 one shots lvl 3 helmets? I was under the impression only the AWM does this.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Xenaero posted:

M24 one shots lvl 3 helmets? I was under the impression only the AWM does this.

if they're hurt it will

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What's thread take on M4 vs SCAR?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I like the M4 because it has more slots for addons so you feel like you have completed a sidequest when you kit it out

Also the default ironsights on the scar suck, even more so than most default ironsights

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Scar is more useful as a psuedo sniper rifle and takes less attachments than the M416 to make amazing; its bullets do more impact than other AR variants (eg if you hit somebody it throws off their aim more). M4 is probably what you want up close since the recoil pattern is a bit easier.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

Scar is more useful as a psuedo sniper rifle and takes less attachments than the M416 to make amazing; its bullets do more impact than other AR variants (eg if you hit somebody it throws off their aim more). M4 is probably what you want up close since the recoil pattern is a bit easier.

Sounds about right for how I play. M4 is my last budget sniper choice from ARs.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I put an 8x on an M4, granted it had every great part I needed, like a comp, but that thing helped me tap snipe several people that round.

I don't think I have a particular preference on a 556 rifle but that genuinely surprised me, how workable it was as a makeshift sniper.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Apparently the SCAR-L is slightly less loud? Yeah that's what WackyJacky claims anyway.
I pick the M4 myself, I like the sound of it and the high rate of fire...

https://youtu.be/_i70Cg5RrR0

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My favourite sniper AR is M16, so far, but that's mainly because my buddies told me it ostensibly is the best of the lot for sniping. I'll still go for a SCAR if I have the gadget and the choice.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

My favourite sniper AR is M16, so far, but that's mainly because my buddies told me it ostensibly is the best of the lot for sniping. I'll still go for a SCAR if I have the gadget and the choice.

This used to be true for me, but with the zeroing changes to the scopes, the 8x feeling much much better overall, and the inability to mount an 8x, I find myself dropping the M16 a lot more now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Good point about 8X, yeah

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Why exactly did they remove the ability to add an 8x to the M16 but no other AR's?

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

WirelessPillow posted:

Why exactly did they remove the ability to add an 8x to the M16 but no other AR's?

I agree it seems weird. Before I'd happily run something like M4 close M16 long range but now I don't really pick it up since I might only find an 8x and then my setup makes no sense. So I'll be running just an M4 with maybe a shotgun instead and just swap scopes back and forth if I don't find a sniper rifle.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

WirelessPillow posted:

It's likely because previously it had relatively little recoil and sufficient damage to act as both a really good rifle and a good semi-auto sniper rifle, depending on what scope you used. It was so versatile that if the mini had not been so powerful, there would be no reason to take anything but a KAR or a crate gun over an M16.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

next map has to be an archipelago, play up all of that speed boat and swimming action

My favorite thing to do in the desert map is to drop at the docks of the islands and if anyone else lands on a island I'll steal the only boats or beach them while they are busy looting.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Long range: m16 > m4 > scar
Short range: m4 > scar > m16

Note: this does not mean the scar is bad, at all

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 8, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Xenaero posted:

It's likely because previously it had relatively little recoil and sufficient damage to act as both a really good rifle and a good semi-auto sniper rifle, depending on what scope you used. It was so versatile that if the mini had not been so powerful, there would be no reason to take anything but a KAR or a crate gun over an M16.

I guess they wanted one more "disposable" AR in the game apart from the AKM. I.e. they wanted the m16 to be slightly inferior to the M416 just for variety. That means less people will be landing on top of their end-game weapon which is good for making people go fight over better loot.

About the Mini, didn't they nerf it significantly in 1.0? It seems to me the rate of fire is down a lot compared to the SKS.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008
How accurate are the in-game leader boards? I feel like my ranking is way off...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Parallel Playa posted:

Long range: m16 > m4 > scar
Short range: m4 > scar > m16

Note: this does not mean the scar is bad, at all

Is this ranking by the numbers or just a personal preference?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I guess they wanted one more "disposable" AR in the game apart from the AKM. I.e. they wanted the m16 to be slightly inferior to the M416 just for variety. That means less people will be landing on top of their end-game weapon which is good for making people go fight over better loot.

About the Mini, didn't they nerf it significantly in 1.0? It seems to me the rate of fire is down a lot compared to the SKS.

recoil up and fire speed down

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Kill Dozed posted:

How accurate are the in-game leader boards? I feel like my ranking is way off...

Name one that is more "accurate".

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

recoil up and fire speed down

OK, cool, figured as much. I mean it's still a good weapon but isn't the SKS always preferable now?
(Of course the elite players will prefer the Kar98, but that's for people who can consistently nail headshots.)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:staredog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8jP--5vw3w

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Name one that is more "accurate".

OK, cool, figured as much. I mean it's still a good weapon but isn't the SKS always preferable now?
(Of course the elite players will prefer the Kar98, but that's for people who can consistently nail headshots.)

The Mini still has significant faster bullet speed, making it easier for hitting laterally moving targets in particular. I feel like the SKS is the better gun over-all now, though heavily dependant on attachments, but the mini still has its uses. Before the nerfs, the Mini was better than the SKS in basically every way.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
It feels like the scar kicks a lot more than it used to and has more horizontal recoil.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

very stable genius posted:

Is this ranking by the numbers or just a personal preference?

Both when it comes to scar vs m416 and long range m16. The latter when it comes to close range m16

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

In a pure capitalistic sense, they're filling a hole that Bluehole left open for so long and for no apparent reason, so I hope it earns them a shitload of parasite money.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I'm going to buy it, just so i can feel better about myself.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

il serpente cosmico posted:

a bunch of good info

abigserve posted:

The best advice is to just practice, if you're a new player you need to build up the map knowledge, situational awareness and gun handling skills to be really good.

There are some tips though that may not come through practice and are more "pubg is janky" related:
- Don't go prone unless you've got cover on all sides. It fucks your view but everyone can still see you super easily because grass doesn't render very far. It's trivial to hit a prone target and you get up very slowly.
- Don't use shotguns except in an emergency. Any other main weapon is better than a shotgun due to the way hit detection is calculated.
- Footsteps are very loud, but you can crouch walk (crouch and hold control) which makes you almost silent
- Cook grenades with "r" while holding them
- Armor matters way more than you think it does, the difference between a level 1 and a level 3 helmet is massive.
As someone who just picked this up last week, these are good tips, thanks. Also worth noting, regarding this:

quote:

- Footsteps are very loud, but you can crouch walk (crouch and hold control) which makes you almost silent
if you don't equip any shoes, i've found that this combo is nearly silent in some situations and very quiet in almost all others. I go shoeless Joe all the time now. Sound may also be one of the most critical pieces of this game. I definitely recommend headphones turned up fairly loud (though occasionally if I'm blindsided I will scare the poo poo out of myself) for directional awareness.. Oh, and also, since I'm not interested in what anyone else in game thinks of my *cough* "tactics", I turn all the voice chat off. :)

And I'll be honest, if I'm inside the play zone, I will happily camp a house (if the layout is right) while I let people kill each other. Just make sure you find a decent/likely entry door and camp on the hinge-side of it so it opens towards you.

Couple bonehead way's I've died over my 4 or so days of playing:
a) If someone is near you, DO NOT change guns. I was in the final 5, had a guy I was stalking walk right by my cover but I switched to the shotty as he passed me because I'm a goddamned IDIOT (for several reasons I didn't need to do this) and the *chk chk* alerted him so he turned around and killed me. :bang:
b) If someone is driving towards you, don't go prone unless you're SURE they didn't see you. I saw a car coming (he actually saw me before I saw him based on the replay) and I went prone.. I don't even think he stopped to loot my corpse, which was a great insult in itself.
c) Another jackass and I picked the same tiny house to touchdown, and rather than me booking inside as i had a 2 sec lead on him AND he was further out by 30 feet, I opted for a fistfight. That also did not go well for me.
d) Spend too much time in 'Witcher Mode' where I'm looting every building I see. Then realize I'm miles from the play zone with no vehicle (and the main roads are in the wrong direction). I've done this at least 3x. sigh.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Get the double barrel shotgun - no pump sound.
If it's just the sound of putting one gun away and grabbing the other you're talking about, yeah. If you're that close, just take the shot.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Get the double barrel shotgun - no pump sound.
If it's just the sound of putting one gun away and grabbing the other you're talking about, yeah. If you're that close, just take the shot.
Yeah, in my case specifically, it was the pump-action shotty that gave me away, and I think you’re right that the double barrel would have worked. I had a loving AR too, and at close range; I had zero reason to change weapons.. ahh well.

Also, is there a way to spectate in single (FPP if that matters)? People had mentioned it but when I die I just see report, deathcam and quit to lobby.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fantastipotamus posted:

Yeah, in my case specifically, it was the pump-action shotty that gave me away, and I think you’re right that the double barrel would have worked. I had a loving AR too, and at close range; I had zero reason to change weapons.. ahh well.

Also, is there a way to spectate in single (FPP if that matters)? People had mentioned it but when I die I just see report, deathcam and quit to lobby.

Not as far as I know but they might be talking about going into the replay where you can spectate from anyone in a certain radius around you.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I have to break the habit of using my mousewheel to switch weapons. It's bad and I should remap the keys so I can't do it. 1 + 2 is a much more reliable way of doing it, otherwise I end up with a pistol or pan in my hand at a really bad time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Canuckistan posted:

I have to break the habit of using my mousewheel to switch weapons. It's bad and I should remap the keys so I can't do it. 1 + 2 is a much more reliable way of doing it, otherwise I end up with a pistol or pan in my hand at a really bad time.

The other day I was trying to switch to my pistol and couldn't figure out why the loving thing wasn't switching and it turned out I was mashing 2 the whole time.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
hacking is loving ridiculous now, ugh bluehole is never going to fix this poo poo

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

In my 3-4 hour session of duos last night we were killed by blatant hackers 3 times. It's getting out of hand.

Guess I'll just play fpp now.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

DrNutt posted:

The other day I was trying to switch to my pistol and couldn't figure out why the loving thing wasn't switching and it turned out I was mashing 2 the whole time.

I mapped #1 gun to mousewheel up and gun#2 to mousewheel down. you still need to use other hotkeys for pistol/melee, but I find it works pretty well for me. Additionally, I mapped scope zoom to shift+mwheel, so you don't change guns doing that.

Gunchat:
I like to roll scar short range+m4 long range. m4 can take an 8x, has great spread pattern/recoil, and has good muzzle velocity. scar has big aimpunch (which is pretty nice in a close range encounter), is quieter than the other ARs, and it has a predictable recoil pattern when used in 3-5 round bursts for 50-100m targets, but has lower muzzle velocity than the other 556 guns.

If i can fully kit a vector after kitting an m4, I'll take it over the scar and use the m4 for anything outside of 15m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Hooplah posted:

I mapped #1 gun to mousewheel up and gun#2 to mousewheel down. you still need to use other hotkeys for pistol/melee, but I find it works pretty well for me. Additionally, I mapped scope zoom to shift+mwheel, so you don't change guns doing that.

Gunchat:
I like to roll scar short range+m4 long range. m4 can take an 8x, has great spread pattern/recoil, and has good muzzle velocity. scar has big aimpunch (which is pretty nice in a close range encounter), is quieter than the other ARs, and it has a predictable recoil pattern when used in 3-5 round bursts for 50-100m targets, but has lower muzzle velocity than the other 556 guns.

If i can fully kit a vector after kitting an m4, I'll take it over the scar and use the m4 for anything outside of 15m

clever, trying this out!