Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

JacksLibido posted:

Ummm I still regularly pull 40-60k secondary damage on most games. The only difference with tirpitz now is you can’t just face tank through the middle of the enemy.

It used to be you could literally just point forward and kill everything, now you have to hang back until the main ball is committed before you push up, and that’s just because most of the other ships will be tier 9 and 10. If you’re top tier you can still just push up and wreck face.

The Fire chance nerf hurt a bit, but your secondaries are still a big chunk of damage and a major threat to dd’s of all tiers.

40-60k? Are you counting fires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Brace yourselves for the scout plane (Des) Memes.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I like how the play gets worse in dumber ways at rank 5+. I've backslid to 6 from 4 because:

Chapveys running out to the middle of nowhere.
BBs not paying attention to chat and getting destroyed by cloaked DDs.
No smoke Kageros.
Bismarcks.
Lots of no-utility trash boat cruisers doing trash boat things.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bought Monarch, I think I'm in love.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Bought Monarch, I think I'm in love.

Not sure if the higher caliber guns offset the reduced fire chance, but at least you can angle instead of eating full pens from literally every direction.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

wow gg first time I've hosed that up.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Wargaming quality control strikes again. https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/7ovo7u/rumor_mission_5_task_3_of_north_cape_is_bugged/. Hope you guys who wanted to just farm the 75k mission are Godlike.

This makes me think the 90K torp damage in a si ngle game is broken too.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Posted just now:

quote:

Hey guys, we are are aware of the problem and it will be fixed hopefully within next 24-48 hours.
Meanwhile, please avoid attempting this task because after the fix, you will still have to restart it.

nodm
Jul 17, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I like how the play gets worse in dumber ways at rank 5+. I've backslid to 6 from 4 because:

Chapveys running out to the middle of nowhere.
BBs not paying attention to chat and getting destroyed by cloaked DDs.
No smoke Kageros.
Bismarcks.
Lots of no-utility trash boat cruisers doing trash boat things.

I had the best game ever to get from 6 to 5. Our CV was terrible (recurring theme), getting utterly dominated by the enemy CV, who basically strafed the poo poo out of him at every turn. It was all lost when my Lo Yang got cross dropped by their Shokaku and I died...or so I thought. You see, the other team was also pissed about their CV (for whatever reason) and started killing each other in response. 3 of them got teamkilled, and we still just barely won because our CV capped 2 points.
I also had a Bismarck ask me if he should take IFHE. Tier 8 ranked yo.

nodm fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 8, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Darkrenown posted:

Posted just now:

"Oh and by the way of course we won't extend the duration of the OTHER campaign, you know the one you can only start once you finish this terrible campaign and which you'll now have 24-48 hours less to complete... unless of course you buy the Duke of York!"

In other news, King George V is legit.

E: holy titfucking jesus I just noticed the pretty much the rest of the other campaign is all stuff you can do with just about any ship, but the first loving bottleneck mission is ONLY for the Duke of York.

gently caress you, Wargaming.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 8, 2018

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It's pretty standard for them, honestly! Though I've heard the 75k exp one is bugged and expects you to earn 75k in one battle instead of over multiple battles. Classic Wargaming!

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Just lol if you don't get at least one 75k xp game per week. :sad:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

In other news, King George V is legit.

King George has made up for all the suffering that the Queen Elizabeth was. It's such a bullshit battleship it's not even funny.

Just don't ever expose your broadside as you will REALLY be punished for it.

What makes it so much fun is that tier 7+ is when you start to see battleships actually realize that they want to face you bow on - but haven't yet figured out that AP isn't ideal for that. So they spend the whole time shooting AP at you that bounces or does minimal damage that you easily repair meanwhile you set 4 fires on their ship.

Only issue I've had with it has been how horribly awful it is at trying to dodge torpedoes and because you aren't really the typical front line battleship you are more likely to find yourself to be the target of a DD.

Also I've gotten really sick of the 1,000 Frosty Fir camos I have - so I actually managed to install this:
https://forum.gamer.com.tw/C.php?page=1&bsn=21052&snA=7791&tnum=68

It makes all the camos invisible and actually makes the ships look super nice. The Aslains "No Rust" version of this mod never worked right as it doesn't seem to include all the files. This does - one catch is that you will need to edit an xml file to change it to NA - https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/3eom29/how_to_change_servers_without_downloading_new/

Other than that no issues and it looks great. If there is some interest I can try to pack the whole NA'd thing up and share it.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 8, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Heartcatch posted:

It's pretty standard for them, honestly! Though I've heard the 75k exp one is bugged and expects you to earn 75k in one battle instead of over multiple battles. Classic Wargaming!

75k is still ... well, a fuckload. It's a 2 star mission so basically you'll be repeating it 3 times, so earning 225k XP before you get to the final mission of the operation, which is inventively earning 40K more XP. Honestly, it feels like those two missions should've been reversed.

This whole thing is so obviously an ultra cynical cash grab designed to essentially force players to buy the Duke of York if they want to do the second campaign.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

MikeC posted:

40-60k? Are you counting fires?

Yes, you said that secondary damage is crap now that fire chance went down. It’s not, they reduced the Fire chance but increased the range which imo keeps the damage about the same. You can state check if you’d like jacks_libido, the tirpitz and Bismarck are by far my favorite ships and while the play style has had to change due to all the t10 matches, they’re still great botes.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
For the 90k dmg with torpedoes...say if you would rush a flank in Khaba and execute a Kurfust at point blank range. Any chance of that working ?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Okay, THIS mission sucks a lot. I don’t see any reasonable way to do any of them in a reasonable timeframe.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Velius posted:

Okay, THIS mission sucks a lot. I don’t see any reasonable way to do any of them in a reasonable timeframe.

I don't have any British cruisers high enough, the torpedo damage is insane, the 75k xp is bugged, so I guess I'm just sinking 60 battleships in the next few days.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

That final mission set looks terrible. Luckily I got a gallant from one of my boxes so I guess I can just suicide torp with it a bunch since I am garbage tier at dd's.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
I got the Gallent to work the torps. Took some getting used to.

It feels like the exact middle point between US and IJN DDs. Managed 7 torps in one game already.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
I'm taking my gallant out every other game and if there aren't too many carriers i can get some torpedo hits and bb kills.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The La Galissonniere can be a fun bote.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It really isn't the terrible boat that a lot of people make it out to be. It's just aggressively mediocre in most respects.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Heartcatch posted:

It really isn't the terrible boat that a lot of people make it out to be. It's just aggressively mediocre in most respects.

I'm trying to decide which -- if any -- cruiser tree I want to climb up. The Japanese cruisers seemed cool and good until the Furutaka which kinda killed my interest in that line. Soviet cruisers were cool until tier 5, when they threw up a slow river barge. British cruisers only have AP, which loving suuuucks.

French have been decent, and I just started playing German cruisers. No idea about American cruisers.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Der Shovel posted:

I'm trying to decide which -- if any -- cruiser tree I want to climb up. The Japanese cruisers seemed cool and good until the Furutaka which kinda killed my interest in that line. Soviet cruisers were cool until tier 5, when they threw up a slow river barge. British cruisers only have AP, which loving suuuucks.

French have been decent, and I just started playing German cruisers. No idea about American cruisers.

I’ve got the tier 10 Japanese and German cruisers. They’re similar in some ways (4xtriple 8” guns) but the Hindenburg has better sonar and aa, plus maybe better firing arcs? Zao is solid but it was mostly amazing for exploiting stealth firing which isn’t a thing anymore.

Moskva is basically a battle cruiser, and I want one. Des Moines is solid enough, and American AP shells have extra good normalization, which basically means they penetrate at worse firing angles to the enemy. Not sure about the French ones, I think they’re pretty middle ground.

Velius fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 8, 2018

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Hindenburg is borderline OP, but the German CA line does not get good until tier 7 or 9 depending on who you ask. The French line doesn't particularly come into its own until tier 7 either. USN is largely consistent, though if you don't like the Pensacola, you're not much going to like the rest of the line until Des Moines, which still retains a bit of the fragility.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Der Shovel posted:

The Kirov performs fine (it ended up being my best T5 cruiser after playing all of them), and the Budyonny after it is very fast.

The AP-only aspect of British cruisers isn't really a problem. Emerald is garbage, but past that they're all good (Fiji in particular is extremely strong).

The French do good damage but have poor team utility and struggle to carry games.

The Germans have many and varied flaws on the way up but Roon and Hindenburg are some of the best cruisers in the game.

The US cruisers are good, but if you're just starting out you might want to wait and see how the split into CA and CL lines works out. If you work your way up to Cleveland now, you'll get to skip to T8 in the new CL tree when it shows up.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I'm going to laugh when I cant finish my 15th advent calendar mission because I never get a round with a CV in it. Not only have to somehow manage to find a game with a CV in it, have to hope it comes after me and I shoot down then hope my team isnt complete rear end.

EDIT: After 7 rounds finally got a game with a CV. Of course he never brought his planes beyond the midpoint so I only got 3 plane kills.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 9, 2018

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
It's the Hipper of the French line. It's not bad, but that's pretty much all that makes it good.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

I'm going to laugh when I cant finish my 15th advent calendar mission because I never get a round with a CV in it. Not only have to somehow manage to find a game with a CV in it, have to hope it comes after me and I shoot down then hope my team isnt complete rear end.

EDIT: After 7 rounds finally got a game with a CV. Of course he never brought his planes beyond the midpoint so I only got 3 plane kills.

I'm playing SEA and get carriers (or even two) almost every game unless I take out my Cleveland.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Scapegoat posted:

I'm playing SEA and get carriers (or even two) almost every game unless I take out my Cleveland.

Well they arent in North America.

Of course I get another game with a CV in it. We kill the CV and I happen to run into his dive bombers and fighters just doing nothing so of course my teams CV comes in with his fighters and wipes them all out as I turn on my AA. So I'm denied my mission. I love this game so much. I look forward to another 6 or 7 more matches before another CV shows up.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 9, 2018

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Der Shovel posted:

My thoughts. Going to start at tier 6 because nothing below matters.

USA - I've only got as far the Cleveland on live, and played the others in test. So this is the my least familiar line. The Cleveland is a DPM monster and great at dealing with planes. But it really isn't that enjoyable to play since you don't have fun tools. The US CA line seems to be more about being generalist utility boats that can do surprising damage. But they are super fragile. Also no torps, so people can rush you.

USSR - Up to the Chapy. Do you like setting things on fire? These are great at that. But they generally have a high turning radius and don't dodge well. Also the Budy and Schrors are made out of citadels. One issue with the line is your captain from the Budy to the Chapy needs to be respec'd at tier 9 since IFHE is no longer needed.

Japan - Got to the Mogami. The IJN line is good at dealing with about everything, but doesn't excel at anything. The Taco is pretty good now, and a good indication on how the line will go. The Aoba is pretty ok, the Myoko is strong but hampered by its glacial turret traverse and wonky gun angles. I didn't care for the Mogami at all, I didn't feel like respecing the commander to take advantage of them.

German - On the Hipper. The Nurnberg has amazing guns, ok torps, moves pretty well and explodes if someone looks at it funny. The Yorck is kinda chunky, but has strangely nice HE and can take a hit. The Hipper is an improved Yorck. Also they have good Hydro and can gently caress up destroyers. Its a solid tree.

French - On the Charlie M. They play a lot like the Germans, but go faster. The Algerie is like the Yorck, the Charlie M is really good. Nothing really stands out, but they work pretty well. Also they like setting things on fire.

UK - Up to the Neptune. Hardmode for cruisers. You are fraglie, but can absolutely poo poo damage at people, and with smoke, take very little in return. You have a good toolkit, with smoke, hydro, heals and torps. But, its like the entire tree is made of Nurnbergs, and everyone knows it. Also they hate you. The AP isn't an issue since its special AP that basically takes a belt sander to enemy superstructure. The downside is if someone is smart enough to angle against you, your damage drops a lot. Also a fun thing: they can accelerate really fast, but slow down really slow. Which means its very easy to gently caress up your smoke. If you do pick this line, stop at the Fiji.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Goddamn I'm having awful luck with Minotaur, I sit on the cap to support our DD and the entire enemy team comes rushing through the cap. Then I die to radar or something.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
Brit cruisers slow down fine from going forward. They slow down very slow when you go backwards. It seems to be intentional choice because Brit cruisers even cannot buy Propulsion Modification 2 which helps acceleration and deceleration and would be legitimate choice on Brit cruisers.

Der Shovel posted:

Soviet cruisers were cool until tier 5, when they threw up a slow river barge.
Kirov is second fastest cruiser in tier 5 beaten only by Emile Bertin.

Herr Bazooka fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 9, 2018

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

CitizenKain posted:

German - On the Hipper. The Nurnberg has amazing guns, ok torps, moves pretty well and explodes if someone looks at it funny. The Yorck is kinda chunky, but has strangely nice HE and can take a hit. The Hipper is an improved Yorck. Also they have good Hydro and can gently caress up destroyers. Its a solid tree

Just a note about German hydro usage on cruisers. Its pretty situational, I wouldn't really call it a DD hunting tool, more of a teamplay utility thing. Its simply too hard to get close enough without getting nuked in a cruiser for it to be useful. Also starting with the Hipper, German cruisers no longer really maneuver well and can't chase down DDs reliably.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Gonna get these stars one Gallant torpedo hit at a time :smithicide:

CitizenKain posted:

My thoughts. Going to start at tier 6 because nothing below matters.

USA - I've only got as far the Cleveland on live, and played the others in test. So this is the my least familiar line. The Cleveland is a DPM monster and great at dealing with planes. But it really isn't that enjoyable to play since you don't have fun tools. The US CA line seems to be more about being generalist utility boats that can do surprising damage. But they are super fragile. Also no torps, so people can rush you.
The caveat to this is that it's super hilarious to punch a bunch of AP rounds straight through a cruiser's cheek and right into their citadel because they expected that at that angle you'd just autobounce.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
Biggest flaw in Pensa IMO was not the lack of torpedoes but very meh HE and low rate of fire. Rate of fire is steadily improved until it becomes crazy at Des Moines but HE doesnt really improve afaik. With great AP and meh HE I mostly shot AP playing Pensa.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

This is why I hate you Wargaming.

Of course the one time I do get a CV game and manage the 5 kills my team loses, every other time I got a CV my team has won.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm up to the New Orleans and I've enjoyed both it and the Pensacola. As long as you accept that if you get even the slightest bit careless then you get opened up like a tin can they're fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Ok, this campaign step is garbage. If it was 11 torp hits in anything, that'd be fine. But tying it to a tree with a single viable DD and cruisers is dumb.