Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

food court bailiff posted:

ALSO also, is Horizons cool? It looks cool. I'd shell out $30 for something cool, but I'm worried that they're about to announce another "season pass" or something soon.

Horizons is cool.

I really enjoy doing planetary landings and driving around with my little dune cruiser.

Re: HOTAS stuff, I chucked my HOTAS on a shelf for when I finally decide to dive into VR and I primarily play Elite with an XBox controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
can I turn materials into credits in any way? i’m having some major problems actually making money by shooting things. my shitass sidewinder doesn’t feel capable of doing any of these combat missions and I’m not sure what else I can do when trawling low-intensity combat zones still pushes my poo poo in.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh, you guys at the CG we’re looking for the Gorilla Channel?

:stwoon:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One of these days, I'm going to get back to civilization (likely a while), and change my paint on my DBX to green...

So I can really call my ship the "SSH DOPEFISH LIVES!".

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

You're the scout unit in a Civilization game that gets promoted all the way to helicopters or whatever, instead of being disbanded when there's no more room to explore.

there's always more room to explore :shepface:

And yeah there's all this fancy newfangled poo poo now that im back. What happened i left and smoked several tons of space weed and forgot about the bubble for a year and now there's freaky bugmen shootin everything up and kidnapping and probing folks holy moly :monocle:. It was cool finally seeing the thargoids myself after seeing them so many times in youtube videos.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Blind Rasputin posted:

I could gently caress in that.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Mr. Crow posted:

I could gently caress in that.

Lots of bonus positions to try when you don't have spacelegs

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
++ Blind Rasputin's rad ship.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

can I turn materials into credits in any way? i’m having some major problems actually making money by shooting things. my shitass sidewinder doesn’t feel capable of doing any of these combat missions and I’m not sure what else I can do when trawling low-intensity combat zones still pushes my poo poo in.

No. I wouldn't even bother putting guns on a Sidewinder unless I was doing some gimmick rail sidey, but I wouldn't even do that because I have a gimmick rail Eagle! I made my first couple mil by running data courier and light hauling missions so I could afford an ADS for my Adder and then I set off into a few deep space exploration treks. The rest is history, but I hit Elite Explorer while at 99% Mostly Harmless.

edit: You don't need to do what I did, but you're the small fish.

edit2: Btw, most newbie combat people go to resource extraction sites and tag pirates and let the cops finish them off. It seems like a bullshit move to me, but a lot of what other Elite players do seems like bullshit moves to me.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 6, 2018

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
I picked the game up after wanting it for a long time. I'm doing nubby things like courrier missions because it's safe and easy also space UPS is awesome. Is there a Goon Wing? I've been playing in solo but if there is a decent goon presence I wouldn't mind space chatting whole throwing packages on people's door steps...

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Wings are lil groups of up to 4 people. There's no in game "guild" type of chat (yet) because Fdev. The discord is the place to talk about space with goons, mostly.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Blind Rasputin posted:

SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

This almost looks like the yellowing plastic casing of an old pc which makes me very jealous.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Oscar Mayer Weinermobile: 3300

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Holy crap that's it. That was the link my mind was trying to make since seeing it.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Behotti posted:

I picked the game up after wanting it for a long time. I'm doing nubby things like courrier missions because it's safe and easy also space UPS is awesome. Is there a Goon Wing? I've been playing in solo but if there is a decent goon presence I wouldn't mind space chatting whole throwing packages on people's door steps...

Diamond Frogs is a goon outfit I believe.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MeatBishop/video/42029083

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

osirisisdead posted:

Horizons is cool.

I really enjoy doing planetary landings and driving around with my little dune cruiser.

Re: HOTAS stuff, I chucked my HOTAS on a shelf for when I finally decide to dive into VR and I primarily play Elite with an XBox controller.

How do you do stuff like heatsinks and chaff with an Xbox controller in VR? Just through fire groups? Or did you just learn where your keyboard is and bind them to big keys?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I use fire groups when it makes sense, but I have most often used the Default Context preset and there are some open spaces for binding other things because many of the functions are bound to button combinations.

edit: I had a rollercoaster of a night. I made 15 mil and 15% more through Master rank from 8 legitimately stacked (no board flipping exploit bullshit) planetary scan missions and then got scanned with a bounty on my head while delivering some beer and lost half of that cash to the rebuy. :negative:

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 7, 2018

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

the milk machine posted:

I just started playing this again after buying it a year or so ago, playing for 8-10 hours, then never starting it again.

I'm having fun space trucking... what's a good upgrade from the Sidewinder? I was thinking I could save up the cash for a Cobra MkIII. Are there ways of earning some easy cash that are more appropriate for a Sidewinder?

Adder is the best upgrade from the sidey. Hauler is cheaper, but adder is nicer and not much more expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdz8IDIs8vA

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The highly irresponsible VR posting in this thread has put the idea of getting some kind of VR setup up and running for elite dangerous into my head again

I am not at all pleased about this development, especially consideirng a new vive might be announced at CES tomorrow.. :(

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

The highly irresponsible VR posting in this thread has put the idea of getting some kind of VR setup up and running for elite dangerous into my head again

I am not at all pleased about this development, especially consideirng a new vive might be announced at CES tomorrow.. :(

VR is an expensive toy that you will feel slight embarrassment for buying and using because of its price and absolute frivolity. Also it is the best thing and it’s hard to describe the immense impact it makes specifically with Elite so yes buy one.

If price isn’t an option and there’s a new fancy Vive sometime soon, that’s probably the best one. Beyond that, anecdotally I’ve heard that both current headsets are essentially the same in Elite. There is a difference in tracking tech but for seated games the Oculus’s two sensors are absolutely fine. Oculus being dramatically cheaper than Vive makes it a hugely preferable system right now imo.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Is there any cross-compatibility between stuff life fatshark fpv goggles and VR? If there were a headset that could do both it would seem less frivolous.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What's the credit amount you need from exploration to get to Elite in it?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

iospace posted:

What's the credit amount you need from exploration to get to Elite in it?

Wiki says "<307,000,000" as of 2.3.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone have a good Anaconda build for parking in a haz rez and flying the fighter yourself? Seems like this was asked recently, but I couldn't find the post.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Seems like a good time to ask, what is the best fighter? I was also under the impression if the fighter died the pilot you hired did too, but it doesn’t seem to work that way anymore. I think the pilot acts like a drone pilot now. The fighter bay just reconstructs the fighter too, which i don’t remember either. Are there repercussions for the pilot from losing a fighter then? Is it using resources in my hold to do this?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
If you lose the ship you lose your fighter crew. The fighters themselves are drones controlled from the mothership.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Seems like a good time to ask, what is the best fighter? I was also under the impression if the fighter died the pilot you hired did too, but it doesn’t seem to work that way anymore. I think the pilot acts like a drone pilot now. The fighter bay just reconstructs the fighter too, which i don’t remember either. Are there repercussions for the pilot from losing a fighter then? Is it using resources in my hold to do this?
The fighter bay in essence is just another module that uses ammo and you restock the supply of fighters whenever you refill your ammo at a station. Game lore wise I believe it's a 3D printer, hydraulic lift and telepresence control suite all rolled into one. Your fighter pilot is a drone controller, they hang out in the telepresence suite on the mothership (I think anyway, they might also be remotely connecting into the telepresence suite like other players do with Holo-Me/Multicrew) and they'll only leave if your mothership gets blown up while they're active. I'm not sure if they get killed or if they just consider you to be an incompetent git and leave but it doesn't really matter.

In term of 'best' fighter I think the Taipan is the most well rounded fighter with the others having niche roles. The flat profile of the Taipan makes it difficult for the NPCs to hit and it has more shields/armour than the others but it's slower (although it boosts well). As a human pilot, the GU-97 is probably my favourite fighter to fly with fixed beams because I love the Gutamaya flight model but it's so twitchy that I find it hard to keep fixed plasma on target. The F-63 Condor is worthless trash that has tiny babby t-rex armslateral thrusters and still basically falls out of the sky in high gravity environments despite its acceleration ability being doubled recently.

When you're considering what weapon config to give your NPC pilot you basically need to consider the rank of your pilot and what you're doing. Below Expert they can't hit the broad side of a barn with fixed weapons and they're useless at dodging enemy fire. From Expert onwards they're solid with fixed weapons and once they get to Dangerous they're good at juking shots as well. Elite ranked fighter pilots are an unholy terror on the field and are easily the equivalent of having another huge hardpoint. Don't let them fly your mothership if they're below Master as they will get it killed.

For training the NPCs in rank you'll want to use gimballed hitscan weapons (beams or pulses) until they're at Expert. Once they're at Expert I find that the fixed plasma repeater config is probably the best all round combo as it does solid shield and hull damage and comes with chaff as a defensive option. Beam lasers do extremely good thermal damage (and can use the heat sink the fighter has as a 'damage potion' since it stops them building up heat while firing) and reasonable hull damage. Pulse lasers on fighters are about the same as beams (45 dps vs 42 dps) which is unusual but I'm not complaining. Multicannons are really good against hull and okay against shields but up until recently only the Condor could fit them so they effectively weren't used.

Speaking of multicannons, I only recently noticed that there are now Taipans available in an Anti-Thargoid config that has multicannons with limited ammo capacity (normally fighters have unlimited weapon ammo) and no defensive module. I haven't tested these yet but given they do a whopping 55 dps (!) they're probably preeeeeetty good for general PVE usage.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The number of fighters is determined by the size of the fighter bay and is like ammo. If you lose tgem it costs restock.

Dont stack similar fighters. The game doesnt get how that works.

I prefer fixed beams (gu-97 or taipan doesnt really matter) for small to medium and fixed multicannons for larger ships. The fixed plasma taipan is nice too.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

jubjub64 posted:

Ignore the tutorial's difficulty, it hasn't been balanced.

Here is one setup I found, I don't personally have that hotas. You can download the profile at the bottom
https://www.mcdee.net/elite/binds/zyumgm?replay=zyumgm

The next semi-expansion that is coming out will be free to Horizons owners so you are at least partially future-proofed by buying it.

Thanks for the binding setup, that works super well and oh man everything is so cool.

I ended up getting Horizons because a mission updated to drop something off on a surface station and there was no way I was missing out on that much Space Cash.

Is cosmetic stuff cash shop only?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Cosmetic stuff is mostly cash only. Sometimes there are cosmetics that can be acquired through community goals but that is not very often. For example there was a CQ recently where our very own Diamond Frogs needed beer, coffee and legal narcotics shipped to their home station. If you participated you got a Diamond Frogs emblem to put on your ship (which they haven't gotten around to giving out yet.)

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

jubjub64 posted:

If you participated you got a Diamond Frogs emblem to put on your ship (which they haven't gotten around to giving out yet.)

:frontear:

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

DatonKallandor posted:

To add to that, if you're going for joystick and keyboard I recommend setting up shortcuts for 0% and 50% throttle on something you can easily reach in combat (personally, I've got it on Y and X) and 75% on something not necessarily quick accessible (shift+ one of your other quick throttle settings). You need 0 and 50 in combat constantly to quickly stop and get to the maximum maneuverability points and 75 is really useful for the FSD sweet-spot. Getting to those precise points can be fiddly with just the increase and decrease throttle on keyboard.

Just got my joystick, and I'd like to say that that + this advice has really made flying much easier, so thanks!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Is there a compendium for all of the reference guides people have put together?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

CornHolio posted:

Is there a compendium for all of the reference guides people have put together?

Think it's called "Discord"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A few more really dumb questions:

Insurance is automatic after you die, right? I don't need to find some insurance broker beforehand or anything? I'm sitting on a few hundred thousand creds already and I'm thinking of grabbing an Adder but don't want to be SOL if I jump into a star or something.

For the moment I've been basically sticking around the same cluster of systems, trying to pump some faction rep up and increase my ratings so I can get better-paying gigs. Is that a dumb plan? Should I be jumping out to weirder systems further afield?

Finally, playing online seems like it would be fun - am I just going to get ganked absolutely constantly? Is the economy changed enough from having more players to make it worth checking out?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

A few more really dumb questions:

Insurance is automatic after you die, right? I don't need to find some insurance broker beforehand or anything? I'm sitting on a few hundred thousand creds already and I'm thinking of grabbing an Adder but don't want to be SOL if I jump into a star or something.

For the moment I've been basically sticking around the same cluster of systems, trying to pump some faction rep up and increase my ratings so I can get better-paying gigs. Is that a dumb plan? Should I be jumping out to weirder systems further afield?

Finally, playing online seems like it would be fun - am I just going to get ganked absolutely constantly? Is the economy changed enough from having more players to make it worth checking out?

Insurance is automatic, the economy doesn't change in online. Sticking in one place is okay to build up reputation with a specific faction but that's about it. Limiting yourself to a specific region can be boring.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Right, it's all automatic, you just press the "yes, reincarnate my ship" button. You lose cargo, unfinished missions, exploration data, and bounties that were on board your ship at the time. You do not lose materials, equipment (including engineering rolls), or any money beyond the direct cost of rebuy.

quote:

That's a good plan, you need the top-paying gigs to make significant headway in the ship progression. There aren't really any "weird" systems on a level of what you'd see in a softer sci-fi world. Every so often you'll see a megaship or an alien ruin or something but you probably aren't going to find these serendipitously just because of the volumes of space involved.

quote:

Not *constantly* but it is an issue you don't get in solo, especially if you frequent community goal systems or other hubs of player activity.

You are already participating in the same economy as the online players, solo and open players both contribute to the same background simulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I just reinstalled elite for the first time in a couple of years, time to get back into that rep grind so I can see the solar system I guess

In the 30-40 hours I played I was never quite sure what was actually a player and what was an AI when I was roaming around soloing missions and such. Is there an easy way to spot the difference?

Also is there some kind of goon corp or clan? Is that even a concept in this game

• Locked thread