Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

dex_sda posted:

Fuuuck. I've made a peaceful space communism empire, managed to nab a lot of real estate, waged a couple liberation wars and vassalized those empires. Hey, they asked. So far so good.

Then a FE awakened, subjugated me, so I did what a space communism empire would - 10 year plan to turn into a military powerhouse, won independence and then wrecked the empire into the ground. Should have let me be. It was super fun, and with the fleet I had I basically dealt with the endgame crisis by myself.

Except now everyone hates me because of threat. I already control about 60% of the map, already won the colonised system condition. But I feel like I have no choice but continue to wage war while everyone hates me if I want to get the whole galaxy. Even combined, they have no chance against me, so they won't attack, but I can't make allies any more. The diplomacy system kinda sucks :(

If I go back to liberation wars will the threat counter apply to those newly liberated empires?

borders are a bourgeois construct and your revolution will never be finished until they are done away with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
What's the consensus on the best way to manage sectors? They don't seem to upgrade facilities much despite having a lot of resources available. Should I have redevelopment ticked? I took off build robots because they seem to insist on assigning them to the wrong tiles for their traits, which doesn't give me much confidence in redevelopment. At the moment I just go through all the planets in each sector every 15 minutes to manually build everything.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Agean90 posted:

borders are a bourgeois construct and your revolution will never be finished until they are done away with

well that was the plan but I would have preferred not to be hated while doing it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well you won't be once you topple the imperialist governments, the people will love you as long as you spend a few more minerals on them and make sure to suppress xenophobia/authoritarianism :v:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

It's very much a Space MLK vs Space Malcolm X conundrum right now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

dex_sda posted:

well that was the plan but I would have preferred not to be hated while doing it

It's not hate, it's fear

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

dex_sda posted:

It's very much a Space MLK vs Space Malcolm X conundrum right now.

this ain't much a conundrum you can see how far Earth MLK got us

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

dex_sda posted:

One thing that this game is definitely lacking are more varied and thematic victory conditions. It is disappointing that no matter what your ethical leaning are, forever war and conquest are the only "victories" the game recognizes mechanically. I'm hoping to one day see economic victories, religious/cultural victories, technological ones, etc.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
If you define victory as being in a position where you don't have to worry about any another empires negatively impacting your's then you either have to be Space Rome or Space NATO, which are the two victory conditions already in the game. There would need to be alot of work done to add a tech or unity victory that would have visible progress to other empires and allow for some kind of response, especially from pacifist empires.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nevets posted:

If you define victory as being in a position where you don't have to worry about any another empires negatively impacting your's then you either have to be Space Rome or Space NATO, which are the two victory conditions already in the game. There would need to be alot of work done to add a tech or unity victory that would have visible progress to other empires and allow for some kind of response, especially from pacifist empires.

That's only really necessary for exclusive victory states, where you lose if another player wins. You can avoid that simply by not presenting a defeat screen when another player would see a victory screen. If an ascension victory for psionics, for example, involved the empire ascending to a higher plane of existence, you could model that by showing the other players a defeat screen (and they'd then need to have the means to do stuff about it to avoid seeing the screen), but equally you could model that by just having the empire's pops vanish and an event fire advising the player that the people of the Empire of Someplace has ascended the material realm. Such a system would make another empire's "victory" a part of the flow of the game, rather than a defeat for the other players.

Not that I'm saying such a thing wouldn't still require a fair bit of work, just that victory conditions don't have to be inherently adversarial, and therefore don't have to have mechanics that focus on stopping your opponents achieving those goals.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yea, if I was a fanatic materialist and a neighboring fanatical spiritualist xenophile empire decided to ascend, making all of their pops vanish, my response would largely be "good."

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Yall have any idea how this could have happened?

A faction with a single planet. They were allied with two other factions with a combined ~20 planets. Meanwhile I had 85 planets and wasn't allied with them in any way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Eschatos posted:

Yall have any idea how this could have happened?

A faction with a single planet. They were allied with two other factions with a combined ~20 planets. Meanwhile I had 85 planets and wasn't allied with them in any way.

I've seen something like this posted for quite a few times for quite a while. Not exactly sure what causes it but when it comes to the victory screen in stellaris it's just yet another popup to glance at and move on.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Either I’m horrible at this game or it’s just kind of brutal in general. I’ve never even come close to finishing a game unless I’ve been save scumming dumb things on the lowest settings. My most recent attempt was as a Hive mind. It was a pretty peaceful run as the only nearby people were the only ascendancy. I was getting pretty strongly outpaced by the AI in every way, but being out of the way did me some favors. I finally managed to scrape together a fleet to clear out some crystalline ships guarding a Gaia world. Then someone immediately took it over. Then the ascendancy awoke and declared war with a goal of ceding all my planets.

I’ve never been good at 4x games but holy hell this one just seems a bit much.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Ugato posted:

Either I’m horrible at this game or it’s just kind of brutal in general. I’ve never even come close to finishing a game unless I’ve been save scumming dumb things on the lowest settings. My most recent attempt was as a Hive mind. It was a pretty peaceful run as the only nearby people were the only ascendancy. I was getting pretty strongly outpaced by the AI in every way, but being out of the way did me some favors. I finally managed to scrape together a fleet to clear out some crystalline ships guarding a Gaia world. Then someone immediately took it over. Then the ascendancy awoke and declared war with a goal of ceding all my planets.

Took over a holy world, did you?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ugato posted:

yeah you hosed with a FE and got the horns

Stellaris is the only 4x game where the barbarians can win the game

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Bramble posted:

One thing that this game is definitely lacking are more varied and thematic victory conditions. It is disappointing that no matter what your ethical leaning are, forever war and conquest are the only "victories" the game recognizes mechanically. I'm hoping to one day see economic victories, religious/cultural victories, technological ones, etc.

I don't think I've ever won a game of GalCiv2, without drowning everyone else in cheap merchandise.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Reveilled posted:

That's only really necessary for exclusive victory states, where you lose if another player wins. You can avoid that simply by not presenting a defeat screen when another player would see a victory screen. If an ascension victory for psionics, for example, involved the empire ascending to a higher plane of existence, you could model that by showing the other players a defeat screen (and they'd then need to have the means to do stuff about it to avoid seeing the screen), but equally you could model that by just having the empire's pops vanish and an event fire advising the player that the people of the Empire of Someplace has ascended the material realm. Such a system would make another empire's "victory" a part of the flow of the game, rather than a defeat for the other players.

Not that I'm saying such a thing wouldn't still require a fair bit of work, just that victory conditions don't have to be inherently adversarial, and therefore don't have to have mechanics that focus on stopping your opponents achieving those goals.
We had this "You winning doesn't mean everyone else loses" discussion before and it consisted of Wiz's head doing a continuous exploding psyduck.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah you hosed with a FE and got the horns

Stellaris is the only 4x game where the barbarians can win the game

Endless space 2 introduced barbarians in a patch just when I bought it, and I didn't know this. I played for like 2 days straight (it's a good game!), popped into the endless thread on SA, saw a shitload of whining about barbarians, thought to myself "ehhh, what's the big deal, they're a bit more powerful than my craver neighbour, but it's no dimentional horror, lol"

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How are ya'll building military stations in 1.9?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

How are ya'll building military stations in 1.9?

Stack hull regen on fortresses and they basically become invincible to significantly higher powered fleets, giving your actual fleet plenty of time to catchup while the station chips away.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/950328293340966912?s=09

Wiz teases something to do with titans. Buildable titans as part of the DLC accompanying Cherryh would be my guess. Having customisable flagships is Fun and Cool.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That does look pretty drat sweet. I assume it comes with different hull modules too? For titanic carrier or titanic picket ship. :v:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I want planet killers now

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd take some X sized flak.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Artificer posted:

Took over a holy world, did you?

Actually I never even got to scan the Gaia world, much less set foot on it - one of the AI settled the next system over and before I could do anything the border enveloped the Gaia world system. I had 4 total planets because that was the sum total of Tundra worlds I’d managed to find. The ascendancy was xenophilic zoo keepers. They asked for a pop early on in the game - even granted me open borders and some tech bonuses for a large chunk of the game. Then I guess I was the only thing to attack?

Ugato fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 8, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I really wish the destroyer section with L mounts had them in a spinal mount. It just is odd for a ship that small to carry turreted weapons that big. And we don't have the classic ion cannon frigate archetype anyway. The new stances would let a stand-off artillery destroyer do work too.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Is what you're talking about an aesthetic thing, or... Well what would it mean for it to be "spinal"?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fixed forward and unable to rotate freely like a turret does. So you have to turn the whole ship to aim towards something.

Like this terrible illustration:

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 8, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ugato posted:

Actually I never even got to scan the Gaia world, much less set foot on it - one of the AI settled the next system over and before I could do anything the border enveloped the Gaia world system. I had 4 total planets because that was the sum total of Tundra worlds I’d managed to find. The ascendancy was xenophilic zoo keepers. They asked for a pop early on in the game - even granted me open borders and some tech bonuses for a large chunk of the game. Then I guess I was the only thing to attack?

There's something else going on then, Fallen Empires don't try and conquer anybody. Even if you piss them off, they won't try and take your planets, they'll just make your abandon a planet or humiliate you over and over.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PittTheElder posted:

There's something else going on then, Fallen Empires don't try and conquer anybody. Even if you piss them off, they won't try and take your planets, they'll just make your abandon a planet or humiliate you over and over.

This.

Honestly this sounds like a mod-gone-wrong. I can see this being in some "realism" mod or something like that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Poil posted:

Fixed forward and unable to rotate freely like a turret does. So you have to turn the whole ship to aim towards something.

Like this terribly illustration:

Ah OK. Yeah I think in terms of appearance that would look better.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Poil posted:

So effectively they'd be an X-weapon(All of them have a fixed field of fire like a spinal weapon), and thus horribly problematic to actually use.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

ConfusedUs posted:

This.

Honestly this sounds like a mod-gone-wrong. I can see this being in some "realism" mod or something like that.

Ugato posted:

Bold mine. Still weird that a xenophile awakened empire would conquer you like that, did you refuse a demand to become their subject?
e: Wait, if they actually awoke and you were barely able to clear some crystals then it sounds like you were massively outpaced. Or was it that crystal home system thing?

Bloodly posted:

So effectively they'd be an X-weapon(All of them have a fixed field of fire like a spinal weapon), and thus horribly problematic to actually use.

Not really, they fixed the problem with spinal weapons continually retargeting and never firing a couple patches ago. And I assume destroyers turn faster than battleships anyway.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 8, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Poil posted:

It would make for a more visceral progression. Guns -> bigger guns -> better version of those bigger guns -> biggest guns.

This would be especially neat if there were Large mount only weapons that you were likely to unlock before Cruisers.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

DatonKallandor posted:

I really wish the destroyer section with L mounts had them in a spinal mount. It just is odd for a ship that small to carry turreted weapons that big. And we don't have the classic ion cannon frigate archetype anyway. The new stances would let a stand-off artillery destroyer do work too.

Agreed, this is a good idea. I posted something a long time ago about how each ship type should have a "spinal" section, scaled to the ship size. Something like:

Corvette: M-sized weapon
Destroyer: L-sized weapon.
Cruiser: XL-sized weapon, but no utility/special slots. "Glass cannon"
Battleship: As is.

Might be good for station-busting and whatnot.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Making overly spinal fleets naturally vulnerable to flanking could be rad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Staltran posted:

Bold mine. Still weird that a xenophile awakened empire would conquer you like that, did you refuse a demand to become their subject?
e: Wait, if they actually awoke and you were barely able to clear some crystals then it sounds like you were massively outpaced. Or was it that crystal home system thing?

Yeah, I was assuming it couldn't actually be a real Awakened Ascendancy because if he's struggling to wipe out crystals, he can't be anywhere near the fleet limit needed to trigger an awakening. It's possible an AI got there though.

If it is a real awakened ascendancy, then the advice is pay attention to the offers they send you; I have never, ever seen an AE attack me without offering subjugation first. If you can't resist at all, then it's probably worth accepting that offer.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I was definitely outpaced, but it was also the crystal home system I was referring to. I had half the fleet strength of the biggest (non-FE) AI out there. Basically being away from everyone was the only way I even survived that long.

Ok I guess after looking up awakening effects it was probably triggered by the religious zealots taking over like 60% of the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

LogisticEarth posted:

Agreed, this is a good idea. I posted something a long time ago about how each ship type should have a "spinal" section, scaled to the ship size. Something like:

Corvette: M-sized weapon
Destroyer: L-sized weapon.
Cruiser: XL-sized weapon, but no utility/special slots. "Glass cannon"
Battleship: As is.

Might be good for station-busting and whatnot.

I think the Corvette sized speciality hull option being torpedoes/missiles already covers that. Plus it keeps corvettes distinct and not just "smaller destroyers". I'd love ultra specialized XL-spinal cruisers though. Great for burning down a citadel - but if you put too many spinal mount ships in your fleet, someone can just throw afterburner corvettes at you to make it inefficient. And that just works perfectly into the attrition based wars 2.0 is aiming for too.

• Locked thread