Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tender Bender posted:

I agree that it's a problem with the movie and it should be better fleshed out. I just don't agree that it's as significant a problem as you seem to.

So a poor story and poor execution of telling the story in a medium about story telling isn't a significant problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

So a poor story and poor execution of telling the story in a medium about story telling isn't a significant problem?

I don't think the details of imaginary space fascists "the first order"'s rise to power before the force awakens are a significant enough part of the story to derail the space fantasy we actually see in TLJ, no.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

s.i.r.e. posted:

There are three scenes centered around flashbacks that execute Luke's "backstory"just fine . Everything you need to know about what's going on in the story, and more importantly, the characters, is in the movie.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

Along with fundamentally changing core aspects of established characters and undoing the characterization they developed in previous movies, one has to wonder what's left to enjoy?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

McCloud posted:

Along with fundamentally changing core aspects of established characters and undoing the characterization they developed in previous movies, one has to wonder what's left to enjoy?

What character are you talking about?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think changing a core character is fine if it gives them a purpose in the narrative, and I think Hamill did a good job selling the change in TLJ. To me an actual problem with the ST is that they brought back a bunch of characters from the OT for nostalgia and have done nothing with them (eg R2 and C3PO).

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think changing a core character is fine if it gives them a purpose in the narrative, and I think Hamill did a good job selling the change in TLJ. To me an actual problem with the ST is that they brought back a bunch of characters from the OT for nostalgia and have done nothing with them (eg R2 and C3PO).

The problem is that a character doing something different than he's done before is something reasonable that should happen in a story. You have to rephrase it as "the character changed and had his characterization undone" so you can convince the other nerds that they actually didn't enjoy star wars.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The problem here is that they change a core character in a way that has them repeat the lessons they should have already learned 20 odd years ago in Lukes case, and 2 days ago in Finns. This is not satisfying from a cinematic point of view.

Tender Bender posted:

The problem is that a character doing something different than he's done before is something reasonable that should happen in a story. You have to rephrase it as "the character changed and had his characterization undone" so you can convince the other nerds that they actually didn't enjoy star wars.

Luke considering murdering his nephew is not something reasonable by any stretch, but even given that, him secluding himself in a cave at the end of the universe and letting everything he cared and fought for burn to ashes (including friends and family) is also not reasonable, and in fact one would have to be tremendously dumb to think that it is. You can feel free to enjoy it as much as you want, but lets not pretend its reasonable.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

McCloud posted:

The problem here is that they change a core character in a way that has them repeat the lessons they should have already learned 20 odd years ago in Lukes case, and 2 days ago in Finns. This is not satisfying from a cinematic point of view.

Luke considering murdering his nephew is not something reasonable by any stretch, but even given that, him secluding himself in a cave at the end of the universe and letting everything he cared and fought for burn to ashes (including friends and family) is also not reasonable, and in fact one would have to be tremendously dumb to think that it is.
You do realize people make mistakes, and you idolizing someone doesn't mean they won't have flaws? Luke tried to kill his dad, like actively tried for several minutes. He's now progressed to not doing the action part. Are you sure you've watched the OT?

It's really interesting that movies with sacred cow characters always get naysayers that don't actually seem to know the source material.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Luke has taken rash actions before. I can believe that if one of those rash actions lead to the rise of a galactic threat and his best friend and sister losing their son it would have a major impact on him. And I can believe he was afraid of turning to the dark side or turning others to it after that point.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

If there's no Jedi, there's no sith, balance.

Side thought on why Rose and FN were just as important. Rose and FNs trip is ultimately about proof that the rebellion exists. Remember that it takes Gen. Han Solo to confirm to Rey that the stories she heard were true. Rose and Fn, and by extension her ring, are proof to the kids the war is happening. That the broom kid has a solid foundation to believe in that last stand by Luke, it allows him to believe in the force, like Rey.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Clearer pictures of the Solo lego sets here:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/01/more-lego-star-wars-solo-toys-arrive-revealing-closer-look-at-new-cast.html

Looks like Mimban and Kessel will be making an appearance. Also seems that Quay Tolsite, one of the aliens, will be a Pyke. An alien species said to be involved with Kessel, they were introduced in The Clone Wars series.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

McCloud posted:

Luke considering murdering his nephew is not something reasonable by any stretch, but even given that, him secluding himself in a cave at the end of the universe and letting everything he cared and fought for burn to ashes (including friends and family) is also not reasonable, and in fact one would have to be tremendously dumb to think that it is. You can feel free to enjoy it as much as you want, but lets not pretend its reasonable.

Luke doesn't seriously consider it, it's immediately rejected, and he considers the fact that he felt that moment of temptation to be shocking and horrifying and his greatest failure.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Teek posted:

Clearer pictures of the Solo lego sets here:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/01/more-lego-star-wars-solo-toys-arrive-revealing-closer-look-at-new-cast.html

Looks like Mimban and Kessel will be making an appearance. Also seems that Quay Tolsite, one of the aliens, will be a Pyke. An alien species said to be involved with Kessel, they were introduced in The Clone Wars series.

Finally we can give Moloch (TM) to the kids rather than the other way around

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm absolutely shocked that the Solo movie is going to feature Kessel. Shocked.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm willing to bet that every dumb thing predicted by RLM in their Han Solo video actually comes to pass.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Luke doesn't seriously consider it, it's immediately rejected, and he considers the fact that he felt that moment of temptation to be shocking and horrifying and his greatest failure.

Possibly. Interpretations are mixed on that.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Tender Bender posted:

If you walk into my bedroom with a loaded gun, I'm going to think you did more than 'immediately reject' wanting to kill me.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

bushisms.txt posted:

If there's no Jedi, there's no sith, balance.

How are there no sith. It’s just a religion?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

If you walk into my bedroom with a loaded gun, I'm going to think you did more than 'immediately reject' wanting to kill me.

Okay.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Wild Horses posted:

It's star wars. I dunno. I thought it was always taken for granted Vader brought balance by hunting down Jedi. Luke then (un)balances it with the death of the emperor and Anakin. He could've stopped right there, but he started up the old ways and probably brought attention to Ben through training him to Snoke.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wild Horses posted:

The extended universe ruins it by having an endless stream of monster of the week sith for every occasion. But in the cannon movie universe sith seem to be a thing that exists solely because jedi keep loving up their genius plan of "what if we teach someone how to have godlike power then make them pinky swear to use it only for good"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The funny thing is Luke sneaking into his sleeping nephew's room to read his mind is way more hosed up than a momentary temptation to kill baby Hitler, but no one is objecting to it and he doesn't seem to realize it either.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Kyp

D
U
R
R
O
N

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The extended universe ruins it by having an endless stream of monster of the week sith for every occasion. But in the cannon movie universe sith seem to be a thing that exists solely because jedi keep loving up their genius plan of "what if we teach someone how to have godlike power then make them pinky swear to use it only for good"

How does Sheev fit into this interpretation? The "cannon movie universe" doesn't claim he's created by the Jedi at all.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I'm willing to bet that every dumb thing predicted by RLM in their Han Solo video actually comes to pass.

To be fair, most everyone who heard that there was going to be a solo Solo movie predicted it would in someway involve the Kessel Run or the rescue of Chewbacca from Imperial supported slavers.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Tender Bender posted:

Meanwhile, Kylo and Rey are nearly besties for a whole minute before...

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."
"I agree! Let's throw out all this Jedi-Sith BS and forge a new path!"
"Awesome, plus we'll blow up the remaining transports and all your friends."
"What?! No. Why does this plan involve killing anymore, Snoke's gone and--"
"I said kill the past!"
"I only made friends with them like a week ago! They're the present! The First Order is just imitating Palpatine's enforcers, they're the past."
"YOU'RE the past!"
*intense smooching ensues*

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

sassassin posted:

How does Sheev fit into this interpretation? The "cannon movie universe" doesn't claim he's created by the Jedi at all.

I think that the implication is that the Sith are all Jedi apostates, or at least with Dooku and Vader being two major ones we extrapolate

Tarkin believes that Vader is a Jedi--although from his point of view Vader was the only "good" Jedi, assuming he was never in on Order 66 or Sheev's planning

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

The funny thing is Luke sneaking into his sleeping nephew's room to read his mind is way more hosed up than a momentary temptation to kill baby Hitler, but no one is objecting to it and he doesn't seem to realize it either.

Dunno, if the entire reason he is around his nephew is to mentor him and watch his mind for signs of turning evil, then going to watch his mind when he suspects he's turning evil doesn't seem all that egregious. Seems like the main point of Ben agreeing to have Luke around for the training.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We the audience don't know what really happened then and can't. Kind of hard to draw conclusions.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Electromax posted:

Dunno, if the entire reason he is around his nephew is to mentor him and watch his mind for signs of turning evil, then going to watch his mind when he suspects he's turning evil doesn't seem all that egregious. Seems like the main point of Ben agreeing to have Luke around for the training.

I mean, nah. Mind control and reading without consent is bad. It is bad and creepy every time it happens on screen

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jedi seem to read things with out intending to dig.

Why was he in the room tho is a good question.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

I mean, nah. Mind control and reading without consent is bad. It is bad and creepy every time it happens on screen

Yeah, I guess I never considered it 'mind reading' as much as a sort of mood ring thing. Like Ben was giving off evil brainwaves but he couldn't see specific images, like Yoda sensing anger in Luke or whatever.

But we know mind control is something Jedi regularly do elsewhere and like the first thing Rey does with her powers, and Snoke does weird mind stuff with Rey/Kylo, so maybe Luke really was watching his dreams like a TV. I don't remember how it's presented in TLJ super-well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

euphronius posted:

Jedi seem to read things with out intending to dig.

Why was he in the room tho is a good question.

He was just there to touch his weiner like normal and immediately sensed something was wrong

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Benicio Del Toro's Character in The Last Jedi Is Gay, And Here's Why That Shouldn't Matter

lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TildeATH posted:

Imagine all you assholes getting this worked up for the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and canon because thats the actual Star Wars of the present and not this grand cultural thing you all read about on Wookeepedia.

hmm.. agreed. in that case i demand only 1 thing: movie featuring a busty Aayla Secura, in true Pirates bodice-bursting form

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

You do realize people make mistakes, and you idolizing someone doesn't mean they won't have flaws? Luke tried to kill his dad, like actively tried for several minutes. He's now progressed to not doing the action part. Are you sure you've watched the OT?

It's really interesting that movies with sacred cow characters always get naysayers that don't actually seem to know the source material.

There is a rather large difference between being a young man angrily lashing out at your dad that purposefully pushes your buttons to provoke you while being influenced by the grand vizier of evil sithness while your friends are dying and you can't help them, to calmly walking in on your sleeping nephew and preparing to murder him. I would think this would be self evident but I guess I have to spell this out to you. Maybe you need to rewatch the OT?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TildeATH posted:

Ha ha too late.

Yeah, this. The problem with Star Wars is that it's always going to be the same thing over and over now, there's always going to be some sort of evil Nazi government run by Force using zombie men in control of planet destroying doomsday weapons and the day is always going to be saved by the "underdog" ragtag group of friends and one is gonna be a Jedi.

Tender Bender posted:

I don't think the details of imaginary space fascists "the first order"'s rise to power before the force awakens are a significant enough part of the story to derail the space fantasy we actually see in TLJ, no.

Something something earnest conversation, something snarky post, something.

You're literally saying "these major factors that create a good story don't apply to this film." If this was some arthouse film I could agree, but this isn't one. It's a children's film. There's ways the film could have kept the audience entertained enough where we don't care about these things; but at 2.5 hours long the film is too long, hardly explains anything and instead feed us lame plots/characters and overloads us with a ton of CGI spectacle that lacks any weight to it and you quickly become bored, see the cracks and start questioning the film.

A backstory on the FO would have not only filled in the gap but made them a little more interesting and removed from the Empire. The First Order sucks rear end in every way because they're just a continuation of The Empire and it's loving dull. The Empire 2.0 looks just like predecessor in every way just a bit more shiny, they're goal is the same, they sound the same, they're leaders are the same, they're ships and mecha are the same, it's all the same poo poo. This leads back to the problem of Star Wars needing a super powerful entity to represent evil and give our characters something to fight.

bushisms.txt posted:

There are three scenes centered around flashbacks that execute Luke's "backstory"just fine . Everything you need to know about what's going on in the story, and more importantly, the characters, is in the movie.

We're not even talking about Luke's backstory though?

McCloud posted:

There is a rather large difference between being a young man angrily lashing out at your dad that purposefully pushes your buttons to provoke you while being influenced by the grand vizier of evil sithness while your friends are dying and you can't help them, to calmly walking in on your sleeping nephew and preparing to murder him. I would think this would be self evident but I guess I have to spell this out to you. Maybe you need to rewatch the OT?

His father also ordered the death of his only relatives and maimed him as well.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

OWLS! posted:

Kyp

D
U
R
R
O
N

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

The Empire 2.0 looks just like predecessor in every way just a bit more shiny, they're goal is the same, they sound the same, they're leaders are the same, they're ships and mecha are the same, it's all the same poo poo.

not really. the New Empire is staffed by stupid rear end characters nobody cares about or likes. Empire 1.0 had cool dudes like tarkin and darth fukken vader, the new one has a bunch of dumb, weak millennials lol.

compare:

grand moff tarkin: old, cool, collected, professional, smart, evil, calculating

hux: some stupid ineffectual idiot nobody cares about

• Locked thread