Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Halloween Jack posted:

I anticipate I'll jut spend the next 5 years replaying Skyrim.

Penis torture would be more pleasurable than playing Skyrim again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Penis torture would be more pleasurable than playing Skyrim again

there's a mod for that

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

i mean i might not do it. unlike the original games which i all had the itch to replay immediately i haven't had the urge to actually do this one again at all. i think there's just a vestigial part of my brain that's like "you love mass effect, mass effect is good" which is trying to tell me i want to do it

I get where youre coming from

we all want more good mass effect and surely the latest one should be the most goodest right?

:smith:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really wish they’d remaster the trilogy for current gen consoles. I would love to replay ME1 without the decade old graphics.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really wish they’d remaster the trilogy for current gen consoles. I would love to replay ME1 without the decade old graphics.

Upgrade it to ME2 or 3's combat system and we have an ideal scenario

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah the problem's not the graphics, it's the procession of the same boxy corridors where a line of baddies toddles into the line of fire one by one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Burkion posted:

Upgrade it to ME2 or 3's combat system and we have an ideal scenario

As long as the giant empty planets stay I’m in.

Not being sarcastic, I’m the lunatic that liked the exploration stuff in ME1

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah the problem's not the graphics, it's the procession of the same boxy corridors where a line of baddies toddles into the line of fire one by one.

MOVE MOVE MOVE
ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
I WILL DESTROY YOU
ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
MOVE MOVE MOVE

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have been sort of enjoying Andromeda. Unlike ME 1-3 though I can't see why I would replay it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I have been sort of enjoying Andromeda. Unlike ME 1-3 though I can't see why I would replay it.

Yeah. I liked it alright while I was playing it but it's just so big and so uncaptivating that there's just no itch to ever do it again.

Also, the freedom to respec your class into any playstyle you want mid-game—a feature which I absolutely appreciate, mind you—also eliminates a lot of the incentive to ever play it again. In 1-3 (well, 2 and 3 at least) you wanted to play it 6 times because you wanted to see what all the classes were like, but in this one there's no reason to. Which is also true of 2 and 3 if you know how to use a save editor I guess

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah. I liked it alright while I was playing it but it's just so big and so uncaptivating that there's just no itch to ever do it again.

Also, the freedom to respec your class into any playstyle you want mid-game—a feature which I absolutely appreciate, mind you—also eliminates a lot of the incentive to ever play it again. In 1-3 (well, 2 and 3 at least) you wanted to play it 6 times because you wanted to see what all the classes were like, but in this one there's no reason to. Which is also true of 2 and 3 if you know how to use a save editor I guess

Knowing their isn’t a sequel in the works kind of kicked it in the balls, too. All your choices are made to set up the next game and don’t have effects in this one. Honestly, if they were restarting the setting, they should have gone all Alpha Protocol and made a short game where you can make changes in one 15 hour playthrough

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Knowing their isn’t a sequel in the works kind of kicked it in the balls, too. All your choices are made to set up the next game and don’t have effects in this one. Honestly, if they were restarting the setting, they should have gone all Alpha Protocol and made a short game where you can make changes in one 15 hour playthrough

It's notable how Andromeda is the only game in the series (excluding mobile spin-offs) where you can't off any party members.

It isn't just a game low on consequences because it has no sequel. It has less consequences than the previous three games considered as standalones.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

If you have a decent pc there's high res graphics mods that practically make ME look better than 2 and 3.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

There are so many games you could be playing hombre.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

There are so many games you could be playing hombre.

I'm okay with playing something I'm enjoying. I came into it with low expectations, but I like puttering about in the ME setting, and the environment work is good. :cheers:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

chiasaur11 posted:

It's notable how Andromeda is the only game in the series (excluding mobile spin-offs) where you can't off any party members.

It isn't just a game low on consequences because it has no sequel. It has less consequences than the previous three games considered as standalones.

and you HAVE to be friends with all of them, it's a game with zero friction

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I mean I get it. When I said i was played by Andromeda to scratch that sci-itch they told me to play Horizon instead. Now I didn’t have a PS4 at the time but as great as the game was (and it was) it still didn’t fill quite the same niche as Andromeda was supposed to for me.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

fruit on the bottom posted:

I mean I get it. When I said i was played by Andromeda to scratch that sci-itch they told me to play Horizon instead. Now I didn’t have a PS4 at the time but as great as the game was (and it was) it still didn’t fill quite the same niche as Andromeda was supposed to for me.

that's the problem, there are a bunch of companies that make RPGs that fulfill a lot of what you'd look for in a BioWare game but none of them get all of it

Like even The Witcher 3, which is basically perfect, doesn't let you play "your own" character or really run with a party.

So when BioWare is bad, you can't really scratch that itch

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Deep down what I think I really wanted was the Witcher but sci-fi, so hopefully that's gonna work for me when they make that cyberpunk game.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I just want an Anthem/Destiny/Firefall that isn't generic or boring as poo poo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

I just want an Anthem/Destiny/Firefall that isn't generic or boring as poo poo.

You'd need to visit an alternate universe where large game devs with large budgets to do the thing weren't paralyzed by the fear that a flopped game could wind up with them on their rear end.

EA will never die because of a flopped game because they can always wring enough cash out of idiots hands through money boxes, but for a lot of devs, every game is a life/death thing for their studios.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I also want to congratulate MEA for not only winning Giant Bombs Most Dissapointing Game of the Year award; but also for winning their Worst Game We Played This Year award!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

I also want to congratulate MEA for not only winning Giant Bombs Most Dissapointing Game of the Year award; but also for winning their Worst Game We Played This Year award!

I'm surprised that there weren't worse games that were played

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

A mediocre-bad game stretched over thirty hours is worse than a totally bad eight hour game, by some metrics

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm surprised that there weren't worse games that were played

It had fierce competition from Bubsy, but it pulled through anyway. If the game had launched fully patched, it might not have won, but the extra glitches pushed it over the top.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
It gets extra points because it stings that the first Mass Effect game in five years was so bad it mighta killed the franchise

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

is a fuckboi a young guy that likes to gently caress a lot?

I think it has to do with being thirsty? The omly time ryder drinks is in a bar and that's not healthy!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Am I the only one who likes the sandboxy parts of the ME series?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Deep down what I think I really wanted was the Witcher but sci-fi, so hopefully that's gonna work for me when they make that cyberpunk game.

This is how I feel. I prefer scifi by far to sword & sorcery. I played W2 and W3 and although I could appreciate how much work went into them the setting was not what I wanted. It was the same with DA:I, Skyrim, etc. I get some enjoyment out of them but underneath I'm annoyed by how rarely I find a good game with the setting I prefer.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Flying around in space in 2&3 was weirdly calming, and I hated the nomad a lot less than I was expecting to. For all the flaws of andromeda’s open world, reading the map and navigating the planets was generally pretty intuitive, which I was worried about coming from DA:I’s unreadable maps.

ME1’s uncharted worlds were a chore though, sorry

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have to hand it to them for doing a good job on the Nomad. I have driven that thing like a lunatic and tackled all sorts of terrain in search of shortcuts. I've very rarely run into something I couldn't get past, including ramming it into various caves and tunnels so I can do less walking.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

finally we found the one guy that ruined mass effect!

why did you tell EA you liked that stuff!??!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Can we talk about how anthem is probably being rebooted or reworked in light of destiny 2 sucking huge failass?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Can we talk about how anthem is probably being rebooted or reworked in light of destiny 2 sucking huge failass?

I'm pretty sure that the only reason Destiny 1 wasn't a failass was because of hype, and then everyone trying to convince themselves it was good for way too long.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I've never paid attention to Destiny 2 what's it problems? Too repative?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

BexGu posted:

I've never paid attention to Destiny 2 what's it problems? Too repative?

The most vocal complaints I've heard is that it plays like an MMO but with little post-main story content, and lootboxes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Destiny 2 lost something like 75% of its playerbase in two months and the newest DLC was widely panned for lack of content, not to mention all the scummy eververse stuff. None of that matters because it's still one of the best-selling games of the year, Bungie already got ya money ya morons.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SgtSteel91 posted:

The most vocal complaints I've heard is that it plays like an MMO but with little post-main story content, and lootboxes

So, Destiny 1 but with Lootboxes?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

exquisite tea posted:

Destiny 2 lost something like 75% of its playerbase in two months and the newest DLC was widely panned for lack of content, not to mention all the scummy eververse stuff. None of that matters because it's still one of the best-selling games of the year, Bungie already got ya money ya morons.

Also it’s apparently now impossible to plat the original game without buying the DLC. Which is kinda lovely even if you don’t trophy hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The PvP sucks hard and is probably the #1 reason for player drop-off. The D1 thread was 99% ABGD and the rest of bone krew spamming PVP gifs and lovely memes.

The PVE is fine but once you run everything on 3 characters you've put in like 200 hours instead of 3000 or whatever, so obviously Destiny 2 is SatanHitler.